Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm sorry, afen. :( That sucks so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Noooooooooo...:cry:

At least it went out like a true Viking. Hopefully insurance comes through for you afen, that's a poo poo sandwich right there.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

:stare: that isn't the Audi wagon is it?

Edit: so the RS2 is safe?

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Raluek posted:

Did you ever post about that project? I see it was in the background here but I don't remember any non-Lloyd Amazon project threads. drat shame though, do you know what caused it? Is there insurance?

The fire was started by welding. I don't have the details of how it got out of hand, but we had a fire extinguisher in the workshop.

Fortunately I never got started on the Amazon project, so it's only money lost. I've always been an Audi-guy at heart, so I've had more joy tinkering with my RS2. The Amazon wasn't insured, but I got 30% of what I paid for it from the scrappers. Insurance only covers my tools and such, so I've lost about $15k in various RS2-parts. I've got around $13k from the insurance company, so I've bought myself a tool chest loaded with tools!

Now I just need a new workshop to put it in.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:stare: that isn't the Audi wagon is it?

Edit: so the RS2 is safe?

Yes it's safe. I'd be really sad if that went in the fire!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

afen posted:

Yes it's safe. I'd be really sad if that went in the fire!

There are a number of us that would be sad if the RS2 went in the fire.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Since we're talking about RS2s: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29423

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Back in 2006, H&H Auctions had an RS2 for sale, with a curiously low estimate, looking good in Nogaro Blue - definite bidding fodder. But the car had a story. It had originally been stolen from an Audi dealership before being converted into the ultimate getaway car by a gang of bank robbers. They disguised it as an 80 TDI Avant by changing its chassis plate, interior, bumpers, tailgate, and wheels - including the fitment of plastic wheel trims."

That's so awesome.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
They made the ultimate sleeper.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lots of long cars in this thread, so heres my ride.

Sorry about the poor quality of the last one, it had started to piss it down heavily and lighting wasn't so good any more. Also got part of my finger in the shot. Hooray.

2007 second generation Mini Cooper S, 63k miles on the clock. 1.6l turbocharged engine with a 6 speed manual transmission. Also has 17" alloy rims, sports suspension, the Chilli pack (air con, driving computer etc), and a full leather interior. It even has mood lighting of all things. Currently has run flat tyres, so when I end up wearing the current set out I'm likely to replace them with regular tyres, as the large rims, sports suspension and runflats make for quite a firm ride. Absolute joy to drive, although as I'm an inexperienced driver I haven't taken the car to its full potential just yet.

Looking to make some cosmetic additions when my finances recover from buying the thing, in particular a black and white checkered flag roof, some stripes for the bonnet, and possibly some Union Jack side scuttles to really make it my own. The body of the car is quite plain at the moment, which leaves me a nice blank canvas to work with, and I'm looking forward to having many happy years driving this beauty around.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I could never get over the dashboard/instruments on the new Mini. It feels all over the place to me. The huge massive speedo dead centre in the dash is so weird.

That sure is some red leather you've got there though.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

AirRaid posted:

I could never get over the dashboard/instruments on the new Mini. It feels all over the place to me. The huge massive speedo dead centre in the dash is so weird.

That sure is some red leather you've got there though.

Theres a digital speedo in the rev counter above the steering column, which I prefer to be honest as I find glancing at a number much easier than looking at a dial. That being said if it didn't have that, yeah it would be damned weird.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

(Fox) Red leather you say?

Taken outside in bright sunlight

Taken in my pitch-black garage.

I wish I knew how to photo, I can never take a picture that adequately conveys either the interior or exterior colors of this car.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Ludicro posted:

Lots of long cars in this thread

Agreed!

Fiat 500 Turbo, picked it up on Thursday. I've bounced around a few cars over the past year and haven't found one I've liked quite as much as this thing, I feel like my Three Bears adventure has finally come to an end. Love the fact I can give this thing the beans 9/10ths of the time and it's still somewhat within legal limits. They did a great job on the Turbo, raspy and mean like the Abarth and has the same body kit + they added smoked head and tail lights, looks really solid in person.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Ludicro posted:

Lots of long cars in this thread, so heres my ride.

Sorry about the poor quality of the last one, it had started to piss it down heavily and lighting wasn't so good any more. Also got part of my finger in the shot. Hooray.

2007 second generation Mini Cooper S, 63k miles on the clock. 1.6l turbocharged engine with a 6 speed manual transmission. Also has 17" alloy rims, sports suspension, the Chilli pack (air con, driving computer etc), and a full leather interior. It even has mood lighting of all things. Currently has run flat tyres, so when I end up wearing the current set out I'm likely to replace them with regular tyres, as the large rims, sports suspension and runflats make for quite a firm ride. Absolute joy to drive, although as I'm an inexperienced driver I haven't taken the car to its full potential just yet.

Looking to make some cosmetic additions when my finances recover from buying the thing, in particular a black and white checkered flag roof, some stripes for the bonnet, and possibly some Union Jack side scuttles to really make it my own. The body of the car is quite plain at the moment, which leaves me a nice blank canvas to work with, and I'm looking forward to having many happy years driving this beauty around.

Get rid of the run flats for some real tires and once you drive even moderately hard you'll notice the difference, aside from the obvious road noise and stiffness. These cars are really stiff though, esp with the sport suspension. I had that + all solid engine mounts and a RSB on my 03 S and I felt it in my soul every time I hit a pothole

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Ludicro posted:

Currently has run flat tyres, so when I end up wearing the current set out I'm likely to replace them with regular tyres, as the large rims, sports suspension and runflats make for quite a firm ride. Absolute joy to drive, although as I'm an inexperienced driver I haven't taken the car to its full potential just yet.
Regular tires will improve a lot- ride, handling, noise, weight. I highly recommend ditching the run flats.

If you're looking for suspension upgrades after that, check out a larger rear sway bar and Koni FSD shocks. I just put FSDs on my Clubman and it is a worthwhile upgrade. The ride is much more comfortable and the car is much more settled in aggressive driving.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Agreed!

Fiat 500 Turbo, picked it up on Thursday. I've bounced around a few cars over the past year and haven't found one I've liked quite as much as this thing, I feel like my Three Bears adventure has finally come to an end. Love the fact I can give this thing the beans 9/10ths of the time and it's still somewhat within legal limits. They did a great job on the Turbo, raspy and mean like the Abarth and has the same body kit + they added smoked head and tail lights, looks really solid in person.

Fiat do the best pearl white :3:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

'08 Maxima SL with Platinum package:

Love this car so far.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

How wide is your lens on the third one?

Nice lookin car!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Agreed!

So it's the Abarth, minus the scorpions, minus some horsepower, and without quite as stiff of a suspension?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

angryhampster posted:

Love this car so far.

Is that the one with the CVT? How do you find that?

I've always had a soft spot for Maximas. My first car was a 91, and my second a 96 that was fully loaded, both of them were REALLY comfortable cars, but knew how to get out of their own way if need be. The 96 was especially nice on the highway as I was going back and forth from Alabama to Tennessee at that point.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

IOwnCalculus posted:

So it's the Abarth, minus the scorpions, minus some horsepower, and without quite as stiff of a suspension?

Yeah, pretty much. I mentioned the key differences in the 500 thread but here they are;
135hp/150tq opposed to 160hp/184tq
minus Rear Swaybar
minus Stiff Lowering Springs
minus 17" alloys (16" 500 Sport alloys on 500T models)
Single exit straight pipe instead of the dual exit on the Abarth (still sounds great but definitely more quiet)

The 500T is interesting in the fact that the "SPORT" button on the dash not only gives you better throttle response and steering feel but it gives you your full horsepower and torque available. Fiat probably realized along the way that 150tq is a lot for a 2500lb FWD hatchback on 195 series tires for 24/7 use and so if you're running the vehicle out of sport mode you lose 15hp/30tq, which makes it much more pleasant to drive in traffic. There's a tuning company about an hour south of me called Tork Motorsports that specializes in the 1.4L Multiair, they have a stage 1 tune for completely stock turbo engines that will net you around 205hp/250tq, and the 1.4L is so overbuilt from the factory that you don't even need supporting mods to make it happen. My reasoning for getting the Turbo was to spend the money I'd save on better aftermarket handling goodies + Tork Tune for a 500T that would for all intents and purposes shame an Abarth.

Sorry for the wall of text, it's a pretty neat car with a lot of good engineering under the hood.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

angryhampster posted:

Love this car so far.

You should tell me how you took these pictures.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

1.4L
205hp/250tq

:stare:
On a stock turbo? Is this the Italian incarnation of the 4G63?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

How wide is your lens on the third one?

Nice lookin car!

Thanks! Lens was at 17mm for that shot.

Viper_3000 posted:

Is that the one with the CVT? How do you find that?

I've always had a soft spot for Maximas. My first car was a 91, and my second a 96 that was fully loaded, both of them were REALLY comfortable cars, but knew how to get out of their own way if need be. The 96 was especially nice on the highway as I was going back and forth from Alabama to Tennessee at that point.

Yeah it's the CVT. The '07-08 models of this generation got the CVT. Best way to tell is they don't have the weird nose thing in the grille.

I really love it so far. It's quiet, comfortable, and surprisingly quick.

Ziploc posted:

You should tell me how you took these pictures.

Camera, lens, coffee, hangover. I need to re-do the exterior shots when it's warm out. drat lens was back-focusing again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Das Volk posted:

Who knows for how long, though.

That said, the entire FIRE family of engines is suprisingly stout, if a little unrefined in the 8v models. I'm glad to hear that stoutness hasn't been lost in the 16v higher-power versions.

I know of a couple of people who've supercharged the 60hp 1.2 up to around 100hp, reliably and with better fuel economy in normal driving.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 17, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Das Volk posted:

At the wheels? Doubtful. Turbo Sonics with the 1.4T can do about the same with a tune and premium gas at the flywheel (or as the ECM calculates it...). Slightly less torque I believe though.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 17, 2014

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
It's not mine but we don't have a family member's ride thread so here's a Lancia my uncle bought with a friend. It's gotta be shipped over so it'll be a while until he finds out exactly what they got but it has ~30K miles and supposed to be completely road worthy (purchased from a high end reputable dealer but you never know). He went from Italian cars back to Miatas and I guess is going back to Italian cars but not for DD. Same person who gave me the 93LE with 17K miles on it a few years ago.

Zagato bodied 1972 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3L V4!

I think it's beautiful. The seats looks so comfy too.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

angryhampster posted:

Camera, lens, coffee, hangover. I need to re-do the exterior shots when it's warm out. drat lens was back-focusing again.

I'm curious of the focal length and aperture really. What body?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Ziploc posted:

I'm curious of the focal length and aperture really. What body?

5dmk2 and 70-200 around f/2.8. Both of the exterior shots were at 200mm I think. I'm on my phone so I can't view exif.

E: looking again I don't think the rear view was longer than 120 or so.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014
2011 BMW 335i 30,000km

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

This thing is awesome. I love the pass-through rear seats.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, here's some pics with actual light to make up for the last one. I only have a cell phone camera but eh.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

StraightFace posted:

2011 BMW 335i 30,000km

<I may have major egg on my face if I turn out to be wrong> but the thing that I hate about this photo, is I can almost guarantee that this car isn't in Australia. Don't get me wrong, autos have their place, but the propensity for them being chosen over here is astounding. :sigh:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

angryhampster posted:

5dmk2 and 70-200 around f/2.8. Both of the exterior shots were at 200mm I think. I'm on my phone so I can't view exif.

E: looking again I don't think the rear view was longer than 120 or so.

5d buddy :respek:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Das Volk posted:

Whoops long night, I was exaggerating a little bit, they claim 190-200hp/215-230tq. http://damnfastdd.com/Products/Show/Fiat+500T+Stage+1+Tune

KozmoNaut posted:

Who knows for how long, though.

I get that concern too but I feel confident in their R&D for the tune, from their website;

"...Yes the car makes more power but we don't justify the additional power by running dangerous boost levels or excessive lean condition... we make the power with proper application of Multiair tuning, timing adjustment for premium fuel, torque limits raised and fueling. We retain all the factory safety limits for boost, over-temp, over torque, wheel spin with brakes applied, ect. Our focus with the Stage 1 tune was simple, offer what it should have been from the factory."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I get a 404 on that link, and can't see much of any tuning services anywhere on that site?

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

fingerling posted:

<I may have major egg on my face if I turn out to be wrong> but the thing that I hate about this photo, is I can almost guarantee that this car isn't in Australia. Don't get me wrong, autos have their place, but the propensity for them being chosen over here is astounding. :sigh:

No egg, its in SA. I had to wait 2 months for a manual but it was worth it.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

IOwnCalculus posted:

I get a 404 on that link, and can't see much of any tuning services anywhere on that site?

That's really odd, I got a 404 too but when I navigated back to the tune through the website it worked. I retried the link through SA and it then loaded instead of the 404. Huh. In the sidebar click on Fiat 500 then >Electronics then >Fiat 500T Stage 1 Tune. Really weird about that link though :iiam: Also the tuning services are listed under each vehicle in the 'electronics' section, the website is pretty messy to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sten Freak posted:

It's not mine but we don't have a family member's ride thread so here's a Lancia my uncle bought with a friend. It's gotta be shipped over so it'll be a while until he finds out exactly what they got but it has ~30K miles and supposed to be completely road worthy (purchased from a high end reputable dealer but you never know). He went from Italian cars back to Miatas and I guess is going back to Italian cars but not for DD. Same person who gave me the 93LE with 17K miles on it a few years ago.

Zagato bodied 1972 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3L V4!

I think it's beautiful. The seats looks so comfy too.

That is absolutely stunning.