Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Thanks for the help! Yeah, I didn't think of flipping the whole thing inside-out. Looks good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

horriblePencilist posted:

Thanks for the help! Yeah, I didn't think of flipping the whole thing inside-out. Looks good!

No worries, hopefully it'll work for you. Keep us posted, can't wait to see what you make

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I started cutting out the templates, and before I begin cutting the fabric, I just wanted to be sure.

I'm using fleece, so I need to watch out for the grain. I marked the grain direction with little arrows on the templates. Did I lay them right or should they be the other way? As for the eyes, can I just cut out the half-circle and stitch it right on without folding the fabric?

Edit: Why do my ladderstitches mever stay shut? I've practiced a couple times but they always pop open or don't keep the hole shut enough.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 18, 2014

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
I just came into a wealth of what is apparently "Ultra Cuddle" fabric, and I have heard it is notoriously difficult to work with. Any tips?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

four lean hounds posted:

I just came into a wealth of what is apparently "Ultra Cuddle" fabric, and I have heard it is notoriously difficult to work with. Any tips?

If it's the stuff I'm thinking of: walking foot and coping mechanism (alcohol, profanities) of your choice.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Made some huge progress today! After getting myself familiar with fleece (I've made a simple pillow for my needles), I got halfway done with my first legit plush.

All I need to do is to attach the hands, face, appendages, details and stuff it!
I'm just not sure whether to stuff the legs and arms or not.

I like the shape of the empty legs, but I fear they'll look awkward compared to the stuffed body. Also, is there anything I can do to retain the blocky shape of the body better? Judging from my needle pillow, the stuffed rectangle is going to form into a much more oval shape. Any advice?

Lady Hardcastle
Sep 24, 2007
I've been internalising a really complicated situation in my head

flutterbyblue posted:

So many whales

these are so adorable. I love all of them! I always have trouble with such three dimensional plushies but I just need to make some more and get the practice. its mostly the corner or curved seams I struggle with, I get little puckered bits when I turn it the right way out.

Content: Here is a pic of something I made for my 19 year old cousin in March 2013. She has cystic fibrosis and was given a few months to live, and was on the donor organ waiting list for a double lung transplant. I really wanted to do something to cheer her up as she was bedridden/wheelchair-bound in hospital. What do you get someone who is facing certain death within the next few weeks that doesn't seem like you're minimalising what they're going through? Anything 'get well soon' related seemed in bad taste. Food was out as she wasn't up to eating anything. So I came up with the idea to make her some lungs which would be something meaningful for her situation and since I couldn't give her an actual set of lungs.

Anyways I gave them to her on a Thursday afternoon and I think they really cheered her up. I made a little card with them which listed their likes (fresh air) and dislikes (smoking) and things like that. On the Saturday she got a call from the transplant team saying they had lungs for her and she went into surgery a few hours later. She has recovered way better than any of the doctors expected and she's doing really well. She also said the lungs made an awesome epidural pillow too, and got lots of comments from the doctors and nurses in ICU and the wards.

Sorry for the dumb instagram picture, its the only one I have.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
One way to make a plush kinda retain the blocky shape is with stabilizer. Here's some I made with some really thick stabilizer. I also ironed them after they were finished to help with the look.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
That looks pretty great! I'd line the whole thing with a second layer of fabric against the grain but I don't think my sewing machine could handle so many layers.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!

Lady Hardcastle posted:

She has recovered way better than any of the doctors expected and she's doing really well. She also said the lungs made an awesome epidural pillow too, and got lots of comments from the doctors and nurses in ICU and the wards.

These are awesome! And what is more awesome is that she has her own set of happy lungs to hopefully carry her through many more years. I'm so glad she's recovering well.

The whales would be a good practice piece for curves. I do all my stitching with needle and thread for them (I think they'd actually be a bit small to manage well on the machine). I think they've got eight pieces all together, not counting the eyes. Pattern is here.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm just about done with my first selfmade plush! All that's left to do is to hand-stitch the opening and he's ready to go!

He's a little malformed and sloppily stitched at some corners but mostly seems to be holding up nicely! He can actually support himself on his arms.
The whole project was fun and I learned a lot of stuff too.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Pokemon!!

Fennekin, I choose you!

PS - This is based on that bunny pattern from earlier.

Keska fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 30, 2014

Lady Hardcastle
Sep 24, 2007

Lady Hardcastle posted:

Content: Here is a pic of something I made for my 19 year old cousin in March 2013. She has cystic fibrosis and was given a few months to live, and was on the donor organ waiting list for a double lung transplant. I really wanted to do something to cheer her up as she was bedridden/wheelchair-bound in hospital. What do you get someone who is facing certain death within the next few weeks that doesn't seem like you're minimalising what they're going through? Anything 'get well soon' related seemed in bad taste. Food was out as she wasn't up to eating anything. So I came up with the idea to make her some lungs which would be something meaningful for her situation and since I couldn't give her an actual set of lungs.

Anyways I gave them to her on a Thursday afternoon and I think they really cheered her up. I made a little card with them which listed their likes (fresh air) and dislikes (smoking) and things like that. On the Saturday she got a call from the transplant team saying they had lungs for her and she went into surgery a few hours later. She has recovered way better than any of the doctors expected and she's doing really well. She also said the lungs made an awesome epidural pillow too, and got lots of comments from the doctors and nurses in ICU and the wards.

So after posting this, my cousin got really really unwell and ended up in an induced coma, ventilated via a tracheostomy in ICU. Unfortunately there was a specific type of rejection that they hadn't tested her for, and after a week they realised what was wrong with her. They began removing her plasma (which had the antibodies that were attacking the transplanted tissue) and replacing it with donated plasma. She got a little better, was woken up from her coma, and was able to squeeze people's hands. Her little sister put a playlist of her favourite songs on her ipod and let her listen to them, and apparently she was smiling and mouthing the lyrics along with the songs. Unfortunately the plasma transfusion was too little too late and she became even more unwell and her lungs completely failed, leaving her on a ventilator with zero chance of survival. And so her family chose to let her suffering end. She died on Sunday, age 20.

She had the lungs with her when she died. Her family want me to have them.

I don't know why I am writing this here, but I shared the story with the thread and for some reason I felt I should tell you how it ended.

I don't think I mentioned that my cousin had been talking to the Cystic Fibrosis charity here about them selling the lungs as a fundraiser - they were considering buying a bunch off me and then putting them up for sale. I was only going to charge for fabric costs and let them make as much money off them as they could. Now I feel like I couldn't possibly make another set for anyone else. :(

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
:glomp: if you give it time you may find the grief and loss turns to a desire to help others.

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 12, 2014

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

I'm so, so sorry.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'll be thinking of you, and your cousin, and the wonderful gift you gave her.

Lady Hardcastle
Sep 24, 2007

Comrade Quack posted:

:glomp: if you give it time you may find the grief and loss turns to a desire to help others.

You're probably right, everything is just a bit fresh right now. I will see how I feel, even I make them slightly different so that my cousin's ones are still unique.

Thanks for the kind words guys I appreciate it. Anyway I'm not trying to derail the thread with my sad story so... someone post a cute plushie they've made lately! :)

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Um... I'm working on a new design for a kitty!

I don't like how the square bottom came out so I've been working on a better version today. I really like the head, tho.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I just started sewing again, and I'm working on a giant Gin from the series Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin because yay, dogs. And by giant, I mean it looks like he'll be around 18 inches tall at the shoulder, only a couple inches smaller than a real Akita. Trying some new things, with the open mouth and actual foot bottoms rather than just sewing both sides flat together. And he's completely hand-sewn, because I can't get my mom's old machine to work.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Yikes, I can't imagine doing anything that big by hand!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So if I wanted to pay someone to make me a Captain Croctopus plush...

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 13, 2014

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

So if I wanted to pay someone to make me a Captain Croctopus plush...

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear ohhh dear. Thats all I have to say. Just remember, if you do commission someone for a project, don't expect it to be cheap! Even just material costs can be pretty high, depending on where you live. Best of luck ^^

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Mostly just curious what you guys would think making something like that would cost. I'm guessing it's probably outside of my price range, but I figured it was worth asking :)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I suppose it would depend on how much detail you want. A very simple design might be within your price range, or you might be able to cannibalize two store-bought plushes and sew them together like some sort of adorable Frankenstein's monster.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
HE'S BUILDING A BOAT !

Yeah, I agree with the above, for something this complex, frankensteining is the way to go. There are come really nice wildlife plush producers out there, Schliche (sp?) produce some lovely ones but cost a fortune, Hansa is at the top end of the "regular folks" producers and while then can be quite expensive they're really nice quality, and there are a ton of middle end makers who probably do something very suitable for what you want to make.

Leosco do some decent crocodiles as do several other makers, and folkmanis, the hand puppet makers, do some nice octopodes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Octopus...=item1c3c3ec7b9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keel-Toys-L...=item1e86f548a7

You could probably get the bases for 50 or 60 bucks new for the pair, much less if you're willing to really scour ebay or local thrift stores, and that's at quite a large size. Then you can either do the surgery yourself, or commission someone to make the mix, it's probably only a couple hours work depending on the nature of the original plush and exactly how you want the join to look

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 14, 2014

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Lady Hardcastle posted:

Thanks for the kind words guys I appreciate it. Anyway I'm not trying to derail the thread with my sad story so... someone post a cute plushie they've made lately! :)

I can't say anything to bring her back, but I can post my very first handmade toy, a felt Barboach made out of 100% recycled soda bottles:

Felt is surprisingly resilient to redoing bad stitches, I think I'll make at least one more before switching to a nicer (real) fabric. The long whiskers have pipe cleaners stuffed in them to hold their position.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Finished up that kitty plush design:

I'm pretty happy with it!

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Oh my. I'm [u]ddefinitely[/i] asking for a sewing machine for my birthday or Christmas. I'm willing to trade hand cramps and needle jabs for the remote possibility of running a moving needle through my hand.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
How did you get that to stand up?

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Yeah, is it wired?

I keep making Pokemon!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

TunaSpleen posted:

I can't say anything to bring her back, but I can post my very first handmade toy, a felt Barboach made out of 100% recycled soda bottles:

Felt is surprisingly resilient to redoing bad stitches, I think I'll make at least one more before switching to a nicer (real) fabric. The long whiskers have pipe cleaners stuffed in them to hold their position.

Oh my gosh, that is awesome. :3:

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Keska posted:

Yeah, is it wired?

I keep making Pokemon!

I don't know from Pokemon, but these things are so happy they make me happy!

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Aww, thanks! :)

I'm not really sure what to do about the third starter, tho. It's a little weird.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I guess it's been a few days, so it's not so bad to double-post, right?

I'm working on adapting that kitty plush into a fox!

Still need to give him a face... I haven't decided whether to embroider the nose or use felt.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Cutie!

Buttons for eyes? :3

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Yup!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Ohhhh my god that face is adorable! Absolutely wonderful job.

Makes me think I need to get my rear end in gear and make the giant tiger shrimp I promised my partner!

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Aww, thank you!

Your plushies are always great, but you haven't posted in the thread in a while. Got any new ones to share?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Keska posted:

Aww, thank you!

Your plushies are always great, but you haven't posted in the thread in a while. Got any new ones to share?

Sadly, I've not been working on anything lately. I have another squid pillow that is 95% done but quitting my job means that getting new materials is a bit expensive at the moment, so I don't have any stuffing! I'm gonna try to motivate myself to get out the door and by some more stuffing though so I can get back to sewing :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
That fox is so adorable Keska! You absolutely nailed the face.

• Locked thread