Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Buying office 365 for non profits is a huge pain in the tush

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Buying office 365 for non profits is a huge pain in the tush

:page3:

How come? I might be going down this road soon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also resellers are able to offer the free version to you, so if you want to use a VAR to help with the migration they are fully able to do this, but without the licensing costs involved.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

slartibartfast posted:

How come? I might be going down this road soon.

First of all the nonprofit has to apply directly. We can't resell it (we can resell regular O365, and can resell other MS products at charity pricing, but not O365 charity pricing). Also the UI for the verification process is annoying - after you are verified it still won't let you buy licenses until you log out completely of o365 and log back in.

In short if you're a nonprofit yourself and buying this for your own company it's no big deal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The rules must be different for us in the UK then, I've worked with guys who 'resell' O365 free of charge to eligible institutions and then bill for the consulting time. They have the same amount of oversight over the account that any other resold product has.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have a question about Office 365 but not specifically Exchange... Not sure if there's a better thread for this. Anyway: I'm getting Office 365 for email but I want to do single signon with AD, so I understand I need AD federation services. Documentation says something about a network load balancing server... do I need that? We have 2 domain controllers but only 15 users.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Anyone have any good free ways to export a folder of contacts in Outlook 2013 to 1 VCF file? I'm hesitant to pay for programs which look like poo poo, but if anyone has a decent pay option I gladly do it.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I have a question about Office 365 but not specifically Exchange... Not sure if there's a better thread for this. Anyway: I'm getting Office 365 for email but I want to do single signon with AD, so I understand I need AD federation services. Documentation says something about a network load balancing server... do I need that? We have 2 domain controllers but only 15 users.

No, you could technically just point it to the one DC, but if that DC goes down, so does SSO. However, I think you should look at using an ADFS proxy so you could also put the load balancing on the same server I think.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 19, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I always thought a VCF was 1 contact per file?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

NLB is kind of poo poo, and we've found much better results from pfSense+HAProxy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

I always thought a VCF was 1 contact per file?

I thought you can export to VCF in iCloud and it's 1 file with all your contacts?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

I think I spotted your problem

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

I think I spotted your problem

Haaha, it's not for me.

This was actually gmail to the rescue.

Exported to CSV via outlook. Imported into my throwaway gmail with no contacts.

Exported from Gmail to VCF.

Bam, done.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hey turns out I can just use directory sync instead of adfs.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Hey turns out I can just use directory sync instead of adfs.

That's what we did.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
What is everyone doing for spam filtering these days? We've been using Barracuda's hosted service but it's not very configurable/teachable and it's letting a lot more crap through than we'd like.

Spamtitan and Mimecast keep coming up in our research as pretty solid, and we'd like to stay with a hosted service if possible.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

We're using mxlogic, it's ok. Would love to use something better though.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Mimecast has been pretty good to us.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
We resell and use Appriver, it is just OK. I'd rather use Mimecast if I had the choice.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Cavepimp posted:

What is everyone doing for spam filtering these days?

Using a pair of Sonicwall ES6000s here. They do well enough for simple MTAs with Spam/AV/Malware filtering. I wish their MTA rules were more robust than "On" and "Off", though.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Yeah, I have a pair of Watchguard firewalls but I don't hate myself enough to try and use their spam filtering.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I have a problem with my Outlook 2010 clients on Exchange 2010 SP3 - When a staffmember leaves and we remove their account, anyone with the departed staff-member in their list of shared calendars gets prompted for credentials. Presumably Outlook is trying to connect to the non existing account to update data.

Why does Outlook behave this way? How can I prevent it from happening?

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

Cavepimp posted:

What is everyone doing for spam filtering these days? We've been using Barracuda's hosted service but it's not very configurable/teachable and it's letting a lot more crap through than we'd like.

Spamtitan and Mimecast keep coming up in our research as pretty solid, and we'd like to stay with a hosted service if possible.

We use AppRiver, moving away from an onsite SonicWall Email Sec 300. Really really happy with AppRiver, as almost nothing gets through it in my experience with it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cavepimp posted:

Yeah, I have a pair of Watchguard firewalls but I don't hate myself enough to try and use their spam filtering.

I actually use it at almost six different clients, some 300+ employee companies, and it works pretty well for appliance based spam filtering. :smith:

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
I have a restore question.

We are using MS DPM 2010 to back up Exchange 2010, and most restores to a recovery mailbox and then some PowerShell to bring the contents back work.

There is shared mailbox used by a team however, that is massive, with lots of folders that breaks a lot. When restoring we need to do this one folder by folder most of the time. Lately some folders have been a pain to do this way.

I was wondering what sort of tools are around to grab data from an offline store if we were to recover the edb instead? Or is it possible to bring a recovered EDB back to exchange if a live store of the same name still exists? Some budget is available.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Real quick on office 365... if I'm doing cutover migration from on premise (exch07) to O365, and I start a migration batch, that won't interrupt anything right? Until I cut over the mx records, mail will still flow to existing premise server, so users should not notice anything different until I flip that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd flip the MX after setting up your on-site as an additional delivery location in O365, so the mail flows into O365 and then into on-premise. Potentially do the same for sent mail (send through O365) so you can get SPF all sorted.

At least then if things go to poo poo you don't lose email as a service, just access to old messages.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008
Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with mail archiving and legal discovery? I don't have any kind of regulations that I need to keep up with, but what I do have is a fuckload of PST files organized by month.

Outlook is so lovely and clearly is not capable of handling or indexing this much data. I downloaded a trial version of Looken that indexed for 3 days straight, then poo poo the bed this morning and dumped it's index files, so now I'm back to square one for indexing 40+ PSTs.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is your environment like? Are you cloud or self hosted?

We ended up taking the 40+ PST files at one of my clients and importing them into online archives, which sounds similar to what you want to be doing.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

carlcarlson posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with mail archiving and legal discovery? I don't have any kind of regulations that I need to keep up with, but what I do have is a fuckload of PST files organized by month.

Outlook is so lovely and clearly is not capable of handling or indexing this much data. I downloaded a trial version of Looken that indexed for 3 days straight, then poo poo the bed this morning and dumped it's index files, so now I'm back to square one for indexing 40+ PSTs.

Exchange 2013 has both online archives and legal hold/discovery.

We've uploaded all our user's PST files (which there was a loving lot of) into online archives.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

kiwid posted:

Exchange 2013 has both online archives and legal hold/discovery.

We've uploaded all our user's PST files (which there was a loving lot of) into online archives.

If you happen to already be running it, Exchange 2010 also has these functions.

Be warned, you need to buy Enterprise CAL's on top of the standard Exchange CAL's to legally use that functionality.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

Gyshall posted:

What is your environment like? Are you cloud or self hosted?

We ended up taking the 40+ PST files at one of my clients and importing them into online archives, which sounds similar to what you want to be doing.
We are self hosted. I know that Exchange has the archive feature, but I can't imagine that Outlook would be good for the type of legal discovery searches that we need to do, nor do I want to burden the Exchange server by having to triple the size of the message store just to hold on to all of the old mail.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I've been having issues with one of our Exchange 2013 servers. We have them set up in a DAG across to sites in the same AD. Both servers archive to a separate DB. I have asked this question on the Technet forums, but haven't had much joy so far.

The other site have included their archive DB in the DAG, we intend to follow suit. However, their DAG is not populating as it should- newly migrated users who should have gigs in their archive have nothing. When we try to force a mailbox management, it runs for a few minutes and archives some data and then fails. We get the following message in the event log:

Service MSExchangeMailboxAssistants. Managed Folder Mailbox Assistant caused the process to terminate 1 times while processing mailbox (unknown) on database Live (c8decfb1-1e25-4a02-bf83-976e378b2ca3). The following exception caused the failure: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ResourceHealth.ResourceUnhealthyException: Resource 'MdbReplication(Archives)' is unhealthy and shouldn't be accessed.
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ELCHealthMonitor.InternalThrottleStoreCall(List`1 archiveResourceDependencies)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.LocalArchiveProcessor.ExpireInBatches(List`1 listToSend, Folder sourceFolder, Folder targetFolder, ElcSubAssistant elcSubAssistant, Action retentionActionType, Int32 totalFailuresSoFar, List`1& foldersWithErrors, Int32& newMoveErrorsTotal)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.LocalArchiveProcessor.MoveToArchive(ItemSet itemSet, ElcSubAssistant assistant, FolderArchiver folderArchiver, Int32 totalFailuresSoFar, List`1& foldersWithErrors, Int32& newMoveErrorsTotal)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.TagExpirationExecutor.PrepareAndExpireInBatches(List`1 listToSend, Action retentionActionType)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ExpirationExecutor.ExecuteTheDoomed()
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ExpirationExecutor.CheckAndProcessItemsOnBatchSizeReached(List`1 list)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ExpirationTagEnforcer.EvaluateAndEnlistItem(Object[] itemProperties, PropertyIndexHolder propertyIndexHolder)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ExpirationTagEnforcer.CollectItemsToMoveByDefault(MailboxSession session)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ExpirationTagEnforcer.CollectItemsToExpire(MailboxSession session)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ExpirationTagEnforcer.Invoke()
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.TagEnforcerManager.InvokeInternal(MailboxDataForTags mailboxDataForTags)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.TagEnforcerManager.Invoke(MailboxDataForTags mailboxDataForTags)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ElcTagSubAssistant.InvokeInternal(MailboxSession mailboxSession, MailboxDataForTags mailboxDataForTags)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ElcTagSubAssistant.Invoke(MailboxSession mailboxSession, MailboxDataForTags mailboxDataForTags)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ELCAssistant.InvokeCore(MailboxSession mailboxSession, StatisticsLogEntry logEntry, ElcParameters parameters)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Common.IL.ILUtil.DoTryFilterCatch(TryDelegate tryDelegate, FilterDelegate filterDelegate, CatchDelegate catchDelegate)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ELCAssistant.InvokeInternalAssistant(MailboxSession mailboxSession, InvokeArgs invokeArgs, List`1 customDataToLog, Int32 totalAttempts)
at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxAssistants.Assistants.ELC.ELCAssistant.DoWork(AssistantTaskContext context)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.TimeBasedDatabaseJob.ProcessMailboxUnderPoisonControl(AssistantTaskContext context, EmergencyKit kit)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.TimeBasedDatabaseJob.<>c__DisplayClass9.<ProcessStoreMailbox>b__8()
at Microsoft.Exchange.Common.IL.ILUtil.DoTryFilterCatch(TryDelegate tryDelegate, FilterDelegate filterDelegate, CatchDelegate catchDelegate)

Any thoughts? I know it says that Archive is unhealthy, but other Exchange monitors for the DB say it is healthy so not sure what to think!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

carlcarlson posted:

We are self hosted. I know that Exchange has the archive feature, but I can't imagine that Outlook would be good for the type of legal discovery searches that we need to do, nor do I want to burden the Exchange server by having to triple the size of the message store just to hold on to all of the old mail.

Unless you're limited by hardware, you won't be burdening the Exchange server, aside from increased storage capacity.

Also having that many PSTs - especially if they are shared from a central location, is always going to be worse performance in Outlook than having an actual archive or server-side Exchange searchable mailbox.

The built in Exchange 2010 litigation features are really good for this and don't require the Outlook client at all.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I recently had to search 2-3 years worth of PSTs for keywords etc. I used software from http://www.sherpasoftware.com/

It did the trick. I think I had around 100 PST files. I needed to find emails between certain parties on a certain subject.

From memory I think a yearly licence was $4000. As our need was a one-off, we paid $1000 for a 30 day "rental".

Edit - I reread your initial post and maybe you're asking for an overall storage strategy? As we are required to keep every email sent and received, we do not have the storage capacity for this.

Our process is to journal all mail into our Archive mailbox, then dump a weeks worth of mail into a PST. We store about 3 months worth of PST email on tapes going back 7 years.

When we needed to discovery on this giant, 2 year timeframe we had to restore about 10 tapes to get all the PST files, then searched them using Sherpa's 'Discovery Attender' program.

Swink fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 11, 2014

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

quote:

PST mess

If this data is as important as you say it is, get it out of the PSTs and into a solution that is meant for archiving and discovery. I am not saying go hog wild and spin up Symantec Enterprise Vault, but there are some other solutions, mentioned even in this thread that would work. You need to be on ball with your legal/risk department as to what needs to be kept (regulatory, audit, etc.) and for how long. Additionally, you should develop strong legal hold procedures to protect the organization from possible sanctions in legal matters. If you're on 2010, look into discovery mailboxes and the unique features they offer. Your discovery personnel would use ECP to do their searches into those discovery mailboxes.

Also, where are these massive PSTs coming from? Journaling?

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

Swink posted:

PST hell
Yeah, this is pretty much our current situation, and one I'll probably have to deal with to get through our current discovery mess

And this is what I'd like to do going forward so I don't have to deal with lovely PSTs any more. I've got a demo on Thursday with Message Logic, they have a VM ready archive product which seems like it could do the trick. He already sent a quote, so a 200-user per year license is $3,900. Compared to what we pay for other legal expenses it's a drop in the bucket, but that still seems like an awful lot of money. I imagine any other similar product would probably be along the same lines though.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Few issues for anyone that can assist:

I have recently inherited a mail system running on exchange 2010 SP2. I don't know much about exchange, but we have a weird issue with a user being able to log in to Outlook Web Access but not able to IMAP/POP their mail (incorrect password). I had assumed pebkac, but upon further investigation I saw the error and sure enough, even on a fresh mail client account set up on a new computer it keeps prompting for password through imap/pop. This is only happening to one user, so I went to the logs to see if he popped up and sho 'nuff:

code:
Event ID: 2915, Source MSExchange ADAccess, Error
Process w3wp.exe () (PID=4904). User 'Sid~*DOMAIN*\*USER*~EWS~false' has gone over budget '197' times 
for component 'EWS' within a one minute period. 
Info: 'Policy:DefaultThrottlingPolicy_f09caf46-b1c2-23e0-a2f4-827462fd1a, Parts:RPC:196;'. Threshold value: '100'.
This is strange as it seems to not allow him to access any services through imap/pop (such as iphone or other laptops), however he can still use OWA. I've found a resolution through googling here: http://www.msexchange.org/articles-...g-policies.html but I don't like the idea of zeroing out throttling in case someone is using our server for nefarious things :ohdear: I've grilled the user and he assures me he has no scripts or other funny business attempting to use his mail account (incidentally, he's using an osx 10.7 mac mail client and iphone ios 7). Some colleagues recommended an exchange upgrade to SP3, so that's our current plan but if anyone has seen it before I'd appreciate the help :)

In addition, I've found out that we've pretty much committed to making people use IMAP connections, but I'm not sure how. It looks like our NAT and firewall policies are solid (letting ports 80/443 to the exchange server) but if I attempt to create an exchange account from outside the network, it doesn't work and won't fetch mail (authentication seems to work okay though, my phone just spins when fetching mail). The only way it works is with outlook 2010 for windows if I create the exchange account internally and take it off site it works fine - I'm assuming this is because of "outlook anywhere". IMAP/POP connections (user issue above excepted) work just fine from outside.

Any thoughts on either issue would be appreciated.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Spudalicious posted:

Few issues for anyone that can assist:

I have recently inherited a mail system running on exchange 2010 SP2. I don't know much about exchange, but we have a weird issue with a user being able to log in to Outlook Web Access but not able to IMAP/POP their mail (incorrect password). I had assumed pebkac, but upon further investigation I saw the error and sure enough, even on a fresh mail client account set up on a new computer it keeps prompting for password through imap/pop. This is only happening to one user, so I went to the logs to see if he popped up and sho 'nuff:

code:
Event ID: 2915, Source MSExchange ADAccess, Error
Process w3wp.exe () (PID=4904). User 'Sid~*DOMAIN*\*USER*~EWS~false' has gone over budget '197' times 
for component 'EWS' within a one minute period. 
Info: 'Policy:DefaultThrottlingPolicy_f09caf46-b1c2-23e0-a2f4-827462fd1a, Parts:RPC:196;'. Threshold value: '100'.
This is strange as it seems to not allow him to access any services through imap/pop (such as iphone or other laptops), however he can still use OWA. I've found a resolution through googling here: http://www.msexchange.org/articles-...g-policies.html but I don't like the idea of zeroing out throttling in case someone is using our server for nefarious things :ohdear: I've grilled the user and he assures me he has no scripts or other funny business attempting to use his mail account (incidentally, he's using an osx 10.7 mac mail client and iphone ios 7). Some colleagues recommended an exchange upgrade to SP3, so that's our current plan but if anyone has seen it before I'd appreciate the help :)

In addition, I've found out that we've pretty much committed to making people use IMAP connections, but I'm not sure how. It looks like our NAT and firewall policies are solid (letting ports 80/443 to the exchange server) but if I attempt to create an exchange account from outside the network, it doesn't work and won't fetch mail (authentication seems to work okay though, my phone just spins when fetching mail). The only way it works is with outlook 2010 for windows if I create the exchange account internally and take it off site it works fine - I'm assuming this is because of "outlook anywhere". IMAP/POP connections (user issue above excepted) work just fine from outside.

Any thoughts on either issue would be appreciated.

Simple thing. Do a get-casmailbox on the user. Are those protocols enabled for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

The Electronaut posted:

Simple thing. Do a get-casmailbox on the user. Are those protocols enabled for them?

All listed protocols come back "True" - ActiveSync, OWA, Pop, IMAP, MAPI.