Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Less than 1,000 of NJPW's iPPV buys come from outside of Japan, and with their CMLL ties at least some of those are from Mexico (likely why the Dome show got a Spanish feed but no English.) JR is going to cost thousands of dollars, if he going to increase the business those shows do in the English speaking world enough to cover the cost? Bringing in a high priced announced to appeal to 1% of your audience is a risky move.

Risky I agree, but JR announcing it makes it a first day buy for me rather than a later in the week find on Youtube, mean to watch and forget about it until I see the gifs from the next show.

Also I want it I want it I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only reason I don't watch NJPW is because of the lack of an American commentary team. Watching wrestling without commentary is no fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's a niche product in the West, but it's going to stay that way if they don't get SOMEone to do English announcing. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, if your argument is "they're not popular/profitable enough over here to warrant it".

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

There's a whole world of difference between getting an English announce team and putting out the money to get one of the biggest names in wrestling commentary of all time.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'll do it for 1.5 X the Japanese minimum wage and as much sake as I can drink.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Couldn't they just pick a few of their gaijin wrestlers to run English commentary? Surely there's at least a couple of English speaking transplants who could do it well enough until they got enough English followers to hire full-time dudes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Weren't they going to use Matt Striker as part of an English commentary team? I mean, he loving sucks, like a lot, but he speaks English. I dunno, I still get into NJPW stuff enough even with the Japanese commentary - losing your mind over the RAINMAKAAHHHHHH~~~~ is the same in any language.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Thank god that was just a baseless rumor.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I know it's initally jarring listening to commentary in a lanuage you don't understand, but with Yottsume now translating the promos it honestly doesn't detract from the experience one iota for me. I'll take foreigners screaming about lariats over twerking jokes and app download instructions any day.

Memento posted:

Weren't they going to use Matt Striker as part of an English commentary team? I mean, he loving sucks, like a lot, but he speaks English. I dunno, I still get into NJPW stuff enough even with the Japanese commentary - losing your mind over the RAINMAKAAHHHHHH~~~~ is the same in any language.

The Striker/Renallo team was a joke that ended up spreading to twitter and the F4W board.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, it's a niche product in the West, but it's going to stay that way if they don't get SOMEone to do English announcing. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, if your argument is "they're not popular/profitable enough over here to warrant it".

It's always going to be a niche product because the live airings are usually at 3 AM Eastern. The question is how much the audience can be grown from adding English announcers and at what cost non-embarrassing announcers can be found.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well thank gently caress for that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

It's always going to be a niche product because the live airings are usually at 3 AM Eastern. The question is how much the audience can be grown from adding English announcers and at what cost non-embarrassing announcers can be found.

Joel Gertner and Mark Madden.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I think it's going to be very difficult for them to be anything more than a very niche product in the English speaking world, but keep in mind 8 AM in the UK/Ireland is comparatively less terrible and eastern Australia's only two hours separated from JST.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 14, 2014

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The WSX announce team probably isn't doing anything nowadays, and they were decent enough.

Well, except for Juicy J and Pusha T, they're probably really busy nowadays.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Art Donovan.

"How much does that raptor weigh?"

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

I Before E posted:

The WSX announce team probably isn't doing anything nowadays, and they were decent enough.

Well, except for Juicy J and Pusha T, they're probably really busy nowadays.

I have seen maybe 10 minutes of WSX. Juicy J and Pusha T were on it?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Wario Kart 64 posted:

I have seen maybe 10 minutes of WSX. Juicy J and Pusha T were on it?

Yes, every show the musical guest would guest commentate. Three Six Mafia were on episode 2, The Clipse were on episode 4. During a tag match, I believe Pusha T comments that he and Malice should go down to the ring because they could take one of the teams.

WSX is amazing.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I nominate Susan St. James.

*Okada signals for the Rainmaker*
Susan: Uh oh

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Matt Striker: "He Speaks English!"

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

I Before E posted:

Yes, every show the musical guest would guest commentate. Three Six Mafia were on episode 2, The Clipse were on episode 4. During a tag match, I believe Pusha T comments that he and Malice should go down to the ring because they could take one of the teams.

WSX is amazing.

This fed needs to exist still

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Wario Kart 64 posted:

This fed needs to exist still

It was a great experiment in professional wrestling and it's a shame it failed.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

The only WSX guest commentator I remember is Zakk Wylde on the first episode. I've heard worse.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I found this exchange amusing.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Which one of you guys runs the Meltzer in the 90s account?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DannoMack posted:

Which one of you guys runs the Meltzer in the 90s account?

Meltzer in the 90s posted:

WCW is building to Sid Vicious vs. El Gigante which should be a money match. [3/91]

A goddamn Saint.

EDIT:

quote:

WAR has a match on 11/8 with Genichiro Tenryu vs. Hiromichi Fuyuki in which the loser has to raft down a river. [11/94]

:allears:

X-O fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 14, 2014

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Never would have pegged Missy Hyatt as an Ultramantis fan...

quote:

@missyhyatt: Great, Whillow The Whisp is coming. Give me Ultra Mantis Black.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

apsouthern posted:

Never would have pegged Missy Hyatt as an Ultramantis fan...

This tops St Louis's Wrestling Webmaster debacle today.

Amazing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Clearly the English announce team would have to be Booker T and Dusty Rhodes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

:monocle:

Want to watch that sitcom.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
https://twitter.com/Ryback22/status/434832455913074688

Ryback will phone your house and yell at you if you want.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Posting links to Ryback tweets is pointless being that he deletes them ten minutes later.

quote:

FeedMeMorons who are negative and say I suck show your courage and post your cell numbers and The Big Guy will set you straight.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Ryback rules. Coincidentally, that's probably what he yells into the phone if you give him your number.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Ryback's new gimmick of "internet troll" is really hilarious

quote:

Ryback22 14m
I hope all who posted get at least 1 prank call today, Sadly for you FeedMeMorons will not be me 😎 RYBACK RULES!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Man Ryback could concuss half the roster for all I care. RYBACK RULES

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Ryback please call me :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Ryback please call me :(
WON'T BERATE
NO SECOND DATES

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!
Goldberg only indirectly caused flamewars. Big Guy > Berg Guy.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Endorph posted:

WON'T FELLATE
NO SECOND DATES

Mine's better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The idea of Ryback calling people up to yell at them is great.

BIG GUY
BIG PRANKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I would tweet Ryback my phone number but I'd be afraid of him just posting it on twitter instead.