Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I've started fighting the DLC bosses in XIII-2 and I'm having a surprisingly easy time of it. Omega dropped like a sack of bricks and I got his crystal to boot, though I'm sticking with Tonberry for now. It was hilarious watching Lightning bust out Army of One on him while he just kind of glanced around like a fly was buzzing near his ear. The little guy's built like a brick shithouse.

I'm mostly interested in getting the crystals for Lightning and Pupu, though I imagine it's going to take a while.

Tonberry is cool, but Omega attacks like 12 times in a row. So if you put his attack power through the roof, enemies basically melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I started playing XIII-2. This game is going to be a struggle.

I actually didn't hate 13. I liked some of the characters (Lightning, Sazh, and Fang) and was for the most part able to ignore the other muppets in the cast, and the story wasn't anything worse than typical anime garbage. It was at least comprehensible, which was pleasant if not a bit bland. I even felt like the stagger system was kind of interesting if not a little bit underdeveloped and tedious. My biggest complaint against the game was probably Snow and how horrible and awful a character he is, which gets into my major issue with XIII-2.

Holy loving poo poo Noel. Noel is a smarmy Kingdom Hearts character thrown into this game. I've never been a fan of the Fabula Nova Crystalis art direction but Noel's visual design is an attack on any visual coherence the game wanted to have. Not to mention James Marsden really phoning in the performance. I can deal with Serah and can ignore Mog but Noel is such a terrible clashy Macguffin it hurts. What someone said about this game being like Fanfiction isn't far off, it totally feels like the game's story was just some alternate universe scenario to justify someone's lovely OC.

How this game develops into Lightning Returns I have yet to discover but I'm sure it will be something convoluted and nonsensical.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

It still a ton of fun* even if it has one of the most irritating mandatory town sidequests in Final Fantasy history.

If you're talking about I'm Captain Basch, then you literally could not be any more wrong.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I'M CAPTAIN BASCH

DON'T BELIEVE BARUDAK'S LIES!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're talking about I'm Captain Basch, then you literally could not be any more wrong.

My first thought was actually the Archades rumour sidequest, that was just padding.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Okay, got my copy of LR. Other than the Dark Knight thing mentioned before, is everything reasonably straightforward to get? No stupid 'you didn't pet a cat in chapter 2 now you can't get the Wonder Sword of Glory' bullshit?

Also, someone mentioned earlier that there's a throwaway datalog in FFXIII that brings up more questions about the world of Cocoon than anything else. Can someone elaborate?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ApplesandOranges posted:

My first thought was actually the Archades rumour sidequest, that was just padding.

Indeed, I'm not shocked at FFXIIs horrid pacing, nothing that goes through 3 directors is going to come out without some hiccups, and for FFXII the biggest hiccup was pacing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

laplace posted:

I started playing XIII-2. This game is going to be a struggle.

I actually didn't hate 13. I liked some of the characters (Lightning, Sazh, and Fang) and was for the most part able to ignore the other muppets in the cast, and the story wasn't anything worse than typical anime garbage. It was at least comprehensible, which was pleasant if not a bit bland. I even felt like the stagger system was kind of interesting if not a little bit underdeveloped and tedious. My biggest complaint against the game was probably Snow and how horrible and awful a character he is, which gets into my major issue with XIII-2.

Holy loving poo poo Noel. Noel is a smarmy Kingdom Hearts character thrown into this game. I've never been a fan of the Fabula Nova Crystalis art direction but Noel's visual design is an attack on any visual coherence the game wanted to have. Not to mention James Marsden really phoning in the performance. I can deal with Serah and can ignore Mog but Noel is such a terrible clashy Macguffin it hurts. What someone said about this game being like Fanfiction isn't far off, it totally feels like the game's story was just some alternate universe scenario to justify someone's lovely OC.

How this game develops into Lightning Returns I have yet to discover but I'm sure it will be something convoluted and nonsensical.

Buy Noel's space-armor DLC if his parachute pants grate on you that much, the outfit still looks out of place but it's pretty baller. Noel himself is terrible, though, there's no getting around that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

This person gets it. This led directly into the nigh-on pointless chops quest and both were dragged out and meaningless padding.

I'm CAPTAIN BOSCH FON RONSENBERG was ok if a little tedious. The two missions in Archades have no reason to exist.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Barudak posted:

This person gets it. This led directly into the nigh-on pointless chops quest and both were dragged out and meaningless padding.

I'm CAPTAIN BOSCH FON RONSENBERG was ok if a little tedious. The two missions in Archades have no reason to exist.

I didn't mind the one in Lowtown because it basically was a way to teach you that "hey, it's less money that makes things happen here and more information/who you know".

Then they spent like 30 minutes forcibly drilling that into your head with the chops poo poo. gently caress you, Jules. :eng99:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Oxxidation posted:

Buy Noel's space-armor DLC if his parachute pants grate on you that much, the outfit still looks out of place but it's pretty baller. Noel himself is terrible, though, there's no getting around that.

Confirming this. I bought it within about an hour of starting the game because having him look like Sora was a bit much. It's only a couple bucks. You can also get a teeeeeny tiny bikini for Serah :cripes:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Confirming this. I bought it within about an hour of starting the game because having him look like Sora was a bit much. It's only a couple bucks. You can also get a teeeeeny tiny bikini for Serah :cripes:

Serah's White Mage outfit is a mandatory purchase as far as I'm concerned, it's the only one she has that's in the same zip code as actual clothing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

1st AD posted:

Cyan still kind of stinks in FF6 mobile, because the charge times on his sword tech is still crappy even if it no longer holds up everybody else's turn. So should I imp him later or maybe make him into a Dragoon?

Cyan is one of those characters who I hated having in my party but I hated him sucking later on. Now whenever I play FFVI I always make him one of the first characters I beef up with a ton of magic so I can ignore him later on.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Oxxidation posted:

Serah's White Mage outfit is a mandatory purchase as far as I'm concerned, it's the only one she has that's in the same zip code as actual clothing.

Yeah that one isn't bad.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Cyan is one of those characters who I hated having in my party but I hated him sucking later on. Now whenever I play FFVI I always make him one of the first characters I beef up with a ton of magic so I can ignore him later on.

I think I'll just make dragoon imps with Cyan, Mog, and Setzer and throw them in at the start of the endgame battle.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

In other news, Unsung Story has been successfully funded with a pretty big push at the end - over $150,000 raised in the past couple days. They made a bunch of last minute changes to the rewards and added a number of things to the base package that were previously stretch rewards. I know it's not technically FF, but should be an interesting spiritual successor to the FFT series.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

In other news, Unsung Story has been successfully funded with a pretty big push at the end - over $150,000 raised in the past couple days. They made a bunch of last minute changes to the rewards and added a number of things to the base package that were previously stretch rewards. I know it's not technically FF, but should be an interesting spiritual successor to the FFT series.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians

I wish they skipped the ports until later and went right for NG+ and the map creator. Maybe challenge mode but other than that the rest is just fluff.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish they skipped the ports until later and went right for NG+ and the map creator. Maybe challenge mode but other than that the rest is just fluff.

Yeah, personally that's a bit more interesting but the whole point of the kickstarter was to fund the PC port. They've got sufficient internal funding to make the iOS version. I'm actually not sure whether I'd rather have for my iPad or my laptop.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SSNeoman posted:

Tonberry is cool, but Omega attacks like 12 times in a row. So if you put his attack power through the roof, enemies basically melt.

Yea with the right set up, Omega is almost attacking non stop. He pauses for like 1 second before resuming his barrage of death.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

laplace posted:

something convoluted and nonsensical.

FFXIII.txt

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Huh, I was reading through the LR guide and noticed that it explains Snow's l'Cie powers as being derived from the fal'Cie Cactaur. Was this ever explained in FF13-2?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

TheHeadSage posted:

Huh, I was reading through the LR guide and noticed that it explains Snow's l'Cie powers as being derived from the fal'Cie Cactaur. Was this ever explained in FF13-2?

Not specifically. (13-2 spoilers) In 13-2 it's mentioned that he sees a vision of Serah's death and gains a new set of powers from a Fal'cie in order to utilise the Etro gates, but it's not said who. In some Japanese-only voice stuff Cactuar is specifically mentioned as a benevolent Fal'cie who grants him a personalised focus for that one mission.

(LR spoilers) In LR he's given yet another set of l'Cie powers by another Fal'cie, Pandemonium?, in order to keep the chaos in Yusnaan at bay. It's mentioned that Pandemonium (I forget if this was his name) is the last remaining Fal'cie, and provides the vast majority of the remaining world's energy and food. So, Snow effectively has 3 different Fal'cie benefactors - Pulse, Cactuar and Pandemonium.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

:sigh:
http://www.destructoid.com/the-extremely-popular-lightning-may-return-again--270632.phtml

Toriyama posted:

"But we know that Lightning is an extremely popular character, even when compared to other Final Fantasy characters. So there is a possibility that Lightning would appear in other future Final Fantasy titles, not as a protagonist, but as a guest character."

As much as I hope it's more tongue in cheek references like in other games I wouldn't be surprised if Lightning showed up unannounced in future games and handed out plot points to whatever protagonist in need.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nexas posted:

As much as I hope it's more tongue in cheek references like in other games I wouldn't be surprised if Lightning showed up unannounced in future games and handed out plot points to whatever protagonist in need.
Or, you know, it's just a Cloud/Balthier in Final Fantasy Tactics thing.

I don't even like FF13 but it seems like people are looking for any excuse to get their underwear in a bunch about it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Please no. Pleeease no. I don't want it. Then again, with Square's new track record, I'll be too old by the time she shows up again to even be interested in Square products probably.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I could see Lightning becoming Square's Asagi counterpart, only instead of hijacking games because hers was cancelled, she's doing it because she craves the spotlight now.

Except that would require Square to have a sense of self-awareness that extends past fanservice. I'd still like to see another Gilgamesh DLC though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Not having played any FFXIII games, if Lightning started hanging out with Gilgamesh, I'd be okay with that, but if Gilgamesh started hanging out with Lightning, I would be worried.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 4, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Not having played any FFXIII games, if Lightning started hanging out with Gilgamesh, I'd be okay with that, but if Gilgamesh started hanging out with Lightning, I would be worried.

In the next game Gilgamesh is a summon who shows up. Midway through the game he is killed and Lightning appears from nowhere to reclaim Odin's sword from him. She is your summon for the rest of the game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I dunno. Maybe freeing poor Lightning from the sweaty grip of Toriyama would be a good thing.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

ImpAtom posted:

In the next game Gilgamesh is a summon who shows up. Midway through the game he is killed and Lightning appears from nowhere to reclaim Odin's sword from him. She is your summon for the rest of the game.

This would be the best possible outcome and I'm sad it will probably never happen.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno. Maybe freeing poor Lightning from the sweaty grip of Toriyama would be a good thing.

She was actually able to crack something of a joke and show genuine empathy for Firion in Duodecim, so yeah she can be pretty cool when not being portrayed as the savior goddess.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Duodecim made Squall somewhat entertaining. Duodecim is the Good Final Fantasy.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Nah, it's the Worst. Like all Final Fantasies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My only problem with Duodecim is making Terra so weak and spineless and removing all the fun parts of Zidane but yeah, Squall was good.

And Kefka's voice actor was pitch-perfect. "I see a poser."

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Is Lightning really that popular? Most of the reactions I've seen are along the lines of "she's okay" to "awful emotionless blob of a character". Am I reading the wrong sites or are Square seriously just determined for her to be popular?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We've gone over this a million times, yes. She's very popular especially in Japan where they would use her popularity to help market FFXIII-2.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Enallyniv posted:

Is Lightning really that popular? Most of the reactions I've seen are along the lines of "she's okay" to "awful emotionless blob of a character". Am I reading the wrong sites or are Square seriously just determined for her to be popular?
In America she got mixed reception. In Japan she's very popular.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I could see Lightning becoming Square's Asagi counterpart, only instead of hijacking games because hers was cancelled, she's doing it because she craves the spotlight now.

Except that would require Square to have a sense of self-awareness that extends past fanservice. I'd still like to see another Gilgamesh DLC though.

Only if we get a song like Asagi Metamorphosis out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

nexas posted:

:sigh:
http://www.destructoid.com/the-extremely-popular-lightning-may-return-again--270632.phtml

I think Square is mistaking people talking about lightning as a bad character as being excited about lightning as a good character.

Like they google search for "lightning ff13" and go LOOK SHES POPULAR

Or likely they only looked at japanese gamers and ignored the rest of the world. Is she popular there?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

We've gone over this a million times, yes. She's very popular especially in Japan where they would use her popularity to help market FFXIII-2.

Hrm. Seems I was right. Why are Japanese developers/publishers so ignorant of everyone else? Or do they just go "this is a game made for US, who cares what the rest of the world thinks?"