Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be honest she's relatively popular in the US too, it's not like she only has a fanbase in Japan. I mean FFXIII sold a TON of copies, it would be ridiculous to not assume Lightning doesn't have a healthy fanbase like other FF characters Post-FF3, it's just going to happen. I'm also pretty sure FFXIII is happening because of the trouble development of FFXIII and it would make sense if you think of each version of FFXIII as a different disc of a whole game... kind of, there's still some things you got to fill in here and there.

Also yeah, Japanese people kind of make video games for Japanese people, much like literally every other dev ever for their respective countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Haha, did that guy really ask if japanese developers only care about japanese gamers? Japan is really insular dude, yeah they don't give a poo poo about americans.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lightning is the only girl to come out of Japanese media in the last long while that isn't a pile of moe.

I still think she's awful and all.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Heran Bago posted:

Lightning is the only girl to come out of Japanese media in the last long while that isn't a pile of moe.

I still think she's awful and all.

You sure about that? :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pesky Splinter posted:

You sure about that? :colbert:

Not moe enough. Should've used the FFXIV catgirl outfit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For all that those outfits are lovely, "moe" is not actually Japanese for lovely Fanservice. It's specifically a Japanese term used to refer to 'cute' or 'protectable' girls and (being we're talking about loving Japane here) usually means either little girls or girls with aspects that make you want to 'protect' them. (i.e: they're clumsy or naive or whatever chauvinistic thing you want to think of.) poo poo like Hyperdimensional Neptunia thrives on that.

Part of Lightning's popularity in Japan can probably be traced the fact that she isn't 'moe.' I've seen it mentioned in comments at least. (Including negative ones which are upset that she isn't moe enough for them.) It's worth remember that for all that it seems like Japan is a monolithic entity who only devours the same 'moe' poo poo, Japan actually responds extremely positively to stuff that breaks that mold when it works. It is just that companies don't often want to take that risk when they can pander to the sure-buy otaku market instead. It's basically the same model American comic books run on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 16, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Calm down dude, it was a joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Livingtrope posted:

Calm down dude, it was a joke.

I know. v:shobon:v I'm not being "No, you must be SERIOUS about JAPANESE ANIMES" here. Just agreeing with the earlier comment.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hrm. Seems I was right. Why are Japanese developers/publishers so ignorant of everyone else? Or do they just go "this is a game made for US, who cares what the rest of the world thinks?"

Well, yes. There's also the problem that Japan's game industry has a cargo cult mentality for how to make a game that appeals to international markets, which lead to poo poo like FF13's level design being "inspired by Call of Duty."

ImpAtom posted:

For all that those outfits are lovely, "moe" is not actually Japanese for lovely Fanservice. It's specifically a Japanese term used to refer to 'cute' or 'protectable' girls and (being we're talking about loving Japane here) usually means either little girls or girls with aspects that make you want to 'protect' them. (i.e: they're clumsy or naive or whatever chauvinistic thing you want to think of.) poo poo like Hyperdimensional Neptunia thrives on that.

Part of Lightning's popularity in Japan can probably be traced the fact that she isn't 'moe.' I've seen it mentioned in comments at least. (Including negative ones which are upset that she isn't moe enough for them.) It's worth remember that for all that it seems like Japan is a monolithic entity who only devours the same 'moe' poo poo, Japan actually responds extremely positively to stuff that breaks that mold when it works. It is just that companies don't often want to take that risk when they can pander to the sure-buy otaku market instead. It's basically the same model American comic books run on.

Every word in Japanese that's about anime translates to "lovely." Just like the word "anime."

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Lightning is vaguely bearable whenever she's not in one of her own games. Her best appearance is in Theatrhythm though, obviously.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Every word in Japanese that's about anime translates to "lovely." Just like the word "anime."
So, Final Fantasy translates to 'lovely?'

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

So, Final Fantasy translates to 'lovely?'

What thread do you think you're in? Of course it does!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Close all Final Fantasy threads, what a terrible series of games.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Close all Final Fantasy threads, what a terrible series of games.

This but all threads and games and in fact, let's just close the whole forums down while we're at it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Livingtrope posted:

This but all threads and games and in fact, let's just close the whole forums down while we're at it.
let's just destroy the internet

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Be the change you want to see on the forums: instead of closing threads, just stop posting.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Blow up the universe to be safe.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

For some reason Square Enix never uses the Final Fantasy name for their good RPGs any more.

They're on to us :tinfoil:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mega64 posted:

If we're starting up a villainous group I call dibs on being the slightly homoerotic one.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Endorph posted:

If we're starting up a villainous group I call dibs on being the slightly homoerotic one.

Here's your uniform:

Try not to get arrested for indecent exposure - buttcapes don't cover everything you know.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

These are Final Fantasy villains man. We'd all be the slightly homoerotic one.

Kuja :allears:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Make sure to collapse time into itself first so the explosion picks up everything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

These are Final Fantasy villains man. We'd all be the slightly homoerotic one.

And a tree.

If FF villains had conventions Exdeath would never stop catching poo poo for his arboreal proclivities.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fungah! posted:

Make sure to collapse time into itself first so the explosion picks up everything.
Oh god we're Ultimecia.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Oh god we're Ultimecia.

I kan't see it.

OH GOD

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I cannot bear this.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nexas posted:

:sigh:
http://www.destructoid.com/the-extremely-popular-lightning-may-return-again--270632.phtml

As much as I hope it's more tongue in cheek references like in other games I wouldn't be surprised if Lightning showed up unannounced in future games and handed out plot points to whatever protagonist in need.

She's in FFXIV right now as an NPC you can join for a handful of fights. Soooo.. It begins?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The best part is how she describes how grimdark her world is at the end. Yes. Seriously.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Be the change you want to see on the forums: instead of closing threads, just stop posting.

When are you going to start?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HiKaizer posted:

The best part is how she describes how grimdark her world is at the end. Yes. Seriously.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there are only extraneous half-capes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, there are only extraneous half-capes.

How is she going to pretend she's a Kamen Rider without that, hmm? Answer me that, smart guy!

...Ahem, real question now as someone just playing LR. Mechanically, what happens if you run out of time before the 13 days are up? Like, say I haven't done enough main or side quests to get the timer up to day 13, and time runs out on day 11, what would happen? Is it Dead Rising style, I can start over with all my stats and gear? Just stats? Do sidequests stay done?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

How is she going to pretend she's a Kamen Rider without that, hmm? Answer me that, smart guy!

...Ahem, real question now as someone just playing LR. Mechanically, what happens if you run out of time before the 13 days are up? Like, say I haven't done enough main or side quests to get the timer up to day 13, and time runs out on day 11, what would happen? Is it Dead Rising style, I can start over with all my stats and gear? Just stats? Do sidequests stay done?

You start over with items and such but sidequests do not remain finished. You don't unlock Hard Mode or any of the other NG+ features though.

We've got a thread for it if you've got further questions as well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

let's just destroy the internet

And salt the servers, so that it may never rise again.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

And salt the servers, so that it may never rise again.

But then you couldn't play XIV, the only worthwhile Final Fantasy of this generation.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

But then you couldn't play XIV, the only worthwhile Final Fantasy of this generation.

That costs a monthly fee though. Before the what, now third iteration of it? it was awful and terrible. UI was bad, everything was ~kawaii desu ne~, combat was boring as if it was pulled out of vanilla wow.

Then again, I don't really play mmo's anymore and it takes me about 50 levels to realize I don't want to scrounge the world anymore leveling up, I just want to sit down at my computer at 8-9pm with 9-19 other people and work together to kill some bosses and immediately log off afterwards.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

FFXIV: ARR is good.

The dialogue comes in two flavors: Riddled with sex jokes or sounding exactly like it came out of a wondrously cheesy 16-bit FF script.

Plus you can play dress-up with your chocobo.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That costs a monthly fee though.

Unless you basically only play an hour a week, you can basically get through the main storyline within the free month, though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

She's in FFXIV right now as an NPC you can join for a handful of fights. Soooo.. It begins?

As herself, or just her character model? If it's actually as Lightning, how on earth do they attempt to justify it?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CottonWolf posted:

As herself, or just her character model? If it's actually as Lightning, how on earth do they attempt to justify it?

She's literally God at the end of FF13-3. Like, makes Earth as We Know it God.

Alternatively: You loving don't because it's just a loving dumb-for-fun cameo like all of Gilgamesh's appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

The void is chaos basically. FFXIV and Dissidia are probably the only games where you could fit in other characters like this. Dissidia is self explanatory but FFXIV should have been named Final Fantasy ∀ with all the references it has.