Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Bisse posted:

Super low, Saitama is naively good, he punches bad guys for fun. He responded to a 10-page monologue about 'why are you a hero' with 'its a hobby' and after further inquiries elaborated his answer to 'its a hobby you loving idiot'. He watches heroes fight for life and death, revenge, watches them fight the biggest battles of their lives or what they believe to be fate-deciding showdowns of destiny, he then calls it 'squabbles' and comes in and onepunches the bad guy whenever he feels like it.

To become a threat to earth he would first have to have a basic level of care about, well, anything at all, and other than today's sale, he doesn't.

Basically I can not see him in any way 1) become evil, or 2) become involved in any sort of drama. Without either of those two I can't see him being a threat to earth in any way.

Saitama isn't evil or going to destroy the world but I think it's pretty clear that he is singlehandedly the biggest threat to the Hero Association. He's on a level so far above everyone else that it's hard to see how people's problems matter to him and he's arguably one of the least heroic characters in the series.

I think it's quite telling that he didn't jump in the fights sooner. They were life and death battles for the people involved that could have been ended in a matter of seconds. If the Hero Association recognised his true power, I think they'd actually declare him Public Enemy number one and actively hunt him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If they recognized his true power they'd know there was no point in hunting him down in the first place.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kegslayer posted:

I think it's quite telling that he didn't jump in the fights sooner. They were life and death battles for the people involved that could have been ended in a matter of seconds.
Except they weren't. Garou was purposely not killing them. I guess the water monster was more serious business though, but he was repeatedly told to stay out of it and at the end he did wreck the monster when things started to look bad.

When you're at Saitama's level, letting people act out their hero hobbies is just being a nice guy :unsmith:

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 14, 2014

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Kegslayer posted:

Saitama isn't evil or going to destroy the world but I think it's pretty clear that he is singlehandedly the biggest threat to the Hero Association. He's on a level so far above everyone else that it's hard to see how people's problems matter to him and he's arguably one of the least heroic characters in the series.

I think it's quite telling that he didn't jump in the fights sooner. They were life and death battles for the people involved that could have been ended in a matter of seconds. If the Hero Association recognised his true power, I think they'd actually declare him Public Enemy number one and actively hunt him down.

I would argue that Saitama is actually one of the Most Heroic characters in the series, because he doesn't fight evil because of money, recognition, or anything along those lines--he fights evil because he can, and he's completely baffled at all these people who think he needs to have some secret ulterior motive to be a superhero.

I mean, sure, he doesn't turn down money or recognition, but it's not really a big deal for him--just like it's nice when a guy who carves wood for a hobby gets people who want to buy his works and display them, but that's not why he's doing it in the same place.

"It's a Hobby" is a perfectly legitimate response, and the fact that Nobody can accept that is a sign of just how hosed up the rest of the world is.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Bisse posted:

Except they weren't. Garou was purposely not killing them. I guess the water monster was more serious business though, but he was repeatedly told to stay out of it and at the end he did wreck the monster when things started to look bad.

When you're at Saitama's level, letting people act out their hero hobbies is just being a nice guy :unsmith:

Garou wasn't but the Monsters v Heroes fight was pretty serious. I'm pretty sure the heroes weren't holding back and were going all out to try to kill Garou.

Alectai posted:

I would argue that Saitama is actually one of the Most Heroic characters in the series, because he doesn't fight evil because of money, recognition, or anything along those lines--he fights evil because he can, and he's completely baffled at all these people who think he needs to have some secret ulterior motive to be a superhero.

I mean, sure, he doesn't turn down money or recognition, but it's not really a big deal for him--just like it's nice when a guy who carves wood for a hobby gets people who want to buy his works and display them, but that's not why he's doing it in the same place.

"It's a Hobby" is a perfectly legitimate response, and the fact that Nobody can accept that is a sign of just how hosed up the rest of the world is.

Can you really call Saitama a hero though according to the definitions in the story or by the Association? There's no doubt that Saitama pretraining was heroic or that he has a good heart but like you said, it's just a hobby for him and even then he's always been half arsed about it. He originally fought because he was after fame and recognition for his training and not because he wanted to save people. He could have jumped in at any time during the fights but he doesn't because they're so far below him. He doesn't even offer to help Genos or his friends when he finds them half dead. Instead he stands back and watches the heroes get beat up as he's trying to make a good entrance.

What happens if Saitama gets bored and wants to try playing as a monster?

I think that's what's great about the series and Saitama as a character though. Sure he's probably the most powerful character in the superhero history but he's more personally invested in getting discounted food items than saving lives or seeking justice.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Pig God is the most heroic hero.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kegslayer posted:

in the story

I bet Licenseless Rider would consider him a hero. As would Genos, and Bang. And King. And, you know, really anyone that knows him.

quote:

or by the Association?

Who cares what they think, they aren't actually heroes. They are official Heroes[tm], but most of them aren't very heroic.

quote:

it's just a hobby for him

'Just' a hobby, as if a hobby isn't the thing you choose to do on your own because it's what makes you happy. What he chooses to do, what makes him happy, is fighting monsters and saving people.

quote:

and even then he's always been half arsed about it.

Because he literally can not be meaningfully engaged by anything around him. He is the strongest being in existence. Not even 'on Earth'. We've had aliens show up, they were *nothing* to him. It's all well and good to spout idealistic bullshit, but he's Superman without the boyscout complex. How many times can you reflexively save the day before it becomes rote? Doesn't mean he stops doing it though.

quote:

Sure he's probably the most powerful character in the superhero history but he's more personally invested in getting discounted food items than saving lives or seeking justice.

Of course he is, that actually requires effort. Saving people and seeking justice, for him, doesn't. And if you doubt he cares about justice, look to the newest chapter. It's not like he doesn't understand that the heroes just got their poo poo packed, he just doesn't see it as an excuse to kill someone after the fight is over. Garou was all hosed up in the head and wanted to save the world in his own way, he went off track, he got his rear end kicked and his eyes opened, it's over. You don't keep punishing him.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah, Saitama is definitely a hero. I don't feel like arguing ethics, though, so how about this. If nothing else, he got his powers in the way every hero in this comic gets their powers. He dedicated himself to a goal and worked hard to get it until he transformed and got super powerful. All the S-rankers, as far as I can tell, are people who became powerful because of incredible devotion to something.

Monsters on the other hand are transformed when they let some part of their life consume them. For example, crab guy succumbs to his lust for crab and so he becomes a crab monster. On the other hand, a guy like pig god devotes himself to being the best goddamn eater ever, and he becomes a hero. Other examples would be the light hobo king succumbing to his laziness, Ugly Fuhrer being consumed by his inferiority complex over his ugliness (contrasts with Pretty Prince devoting himself to being the bishiest dude ever), and the water monster being reduced to his purely reactionary loneliness.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Wittgen posted:

Yeah, Saitama is definitely a hero. I don't feel like arguing ethics, though, so how about this. If nothing else, he got his powers in the way every hero in this comic gets their powers. He dedicated himself to a goal and worked hard to get it until he transformed and got super powerful. All the S-rankers, as far as I can tell, are people who became powerful because of incredible devotion to something.

Monsters on the other hand are transformed when they let some part of their life consume them. For example, crab guy succumbs to his lust for crab and so he becomes a crab monster. On the other hand, a guy like pig god devotes himself to being the best goddamn eater ever, and he becomes a hero. Other examples would be the light hobo king succumbing to his laziness, Ugly Fuhrer being consumed by his inferiority complex over his ugliness (contrasts with Pretty Prince devoting himself to being the bishiest dude ever), and the water monster being reduced to his purely reactionary loneliness.

That's a pretty good explanation although now I want to see how Watch Dog Man got his powers.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kegslayer posted:

That's a pretty good explanation although now I want to see how Watch Dog Man got his powers.

By being the best watch dog in the world. He's like that kid who wanted to be a giraffe when he grew up, but didn't actually give up on that when people told him it was impossible.

KoB
May 1, 2009

gnome7 posted:

By being the best watch dog in the world. He's like that kid who wanted to be a giraffe when he grew up, but didn't actually give up on that when people told him it was impossible.

...and then one day I realized I had become a dog. :regd09:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

Pig God is the most heroic hero.

I wonder how and when Pig god is going to save the world.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

I wonder how and when Pig god is going to save the world.
How: by eating the threat.

Alternatively, by momentarily eating the world thereby somehow protecting it against something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeaaah Mob Psycho 100 really needs a thread.
It's way too loving amazing.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeaaah Mob Psycho 100 really needs a thread.
It's way too loving amazing.

Today's chapter was fuckin amazing. I don't know what I love more, mob or OPM.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/221780/onepunch-man-original_ch94v3_by_anonymous

More punches for the Punch God, more words for the sales throne.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Roobanguy posted:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/221780/onepunch-man-original_ch94v3_by_anonymous

More punches for the Punch God, more words for the sales throne.

drat cliffhangers. :arghfist:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I have to say the artwork comparison in the Murata thread really undersells the ONE comic. ONE's artwork is basic and unpolished but it's still very readable (at least reading from where the Murata version ends, because it sounds like ONE's art improves over the series).

I know that point has been made before, but basically I'm glad I tried out the 'read-ahead' version. Yeah there's tons of great things I can't wait to see in HD-Murata vision but on the other hand it'll take 3-5 years to catch up.

Also I like how Garou thought he had a technical advantage over Saitama and his theory gets proven equal parts true and irrelevant. There's a reason post-limiter Saitama has no technique, it's because none of his fights have warranted one. :black101:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Elite posted:

I have to say the artwork comparison in the Murata thread really undersells the ONE comic. ONE's artwork is basic and unpolished but it's still very readable (at least reading from where the Murata version ends, because it sounds like ONE's art improves over the series).

I know that point has been made before, but basically I'm glad I tried out the 'read-ahead' version. Yeah there's tons of great things I can't wait to see in HD-Murata vision but on the other hand it'll take 3-5 years to catch up.

Also I like how Garou thought he had a technical advantage over Saitama and his theory gets proven equal parts true and irrelevant. There's a reason post-limiter Saitama has no technique, it's because none of his fights have warranted one. :black101:

At the time I made the OP for the Murata thread, nobody was translating ONE's version and it looked like nobody ever would, so I went with maximum halfass for the greatest humorous contrast to Murata's super polished style.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Elite posted:

You should read Mob Psycho 100, it's really good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
e: wrong thread

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

You should read Mob Psycho 100, it's really good.

I've already read Mob Psycho and Old Men of The Underworld, it was only the original-flavour OnePunchMan that I hadn't tried.

I think I like OnePunch Man the best followed by Mob followed by Old Men but they're all pretty good (I think the 2 other series take a while to get going though). Also the manga artist in Old Men of The Underworld is absolutely hilarious.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ONE's artwork is a bit rawer than murata's, but he can draw pretty drat well when he wants to.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I'll say

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

hey if you want to showcase how well ONE can draw take a panel from the ??? mob chapters.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Yeah, here are some decent examples from mob.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

New Mob Psycho, and that one page is creepy as gently caress.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

More pages added to chapter 94:
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man-ONE/Ch-094v004-Read-Online?id=188202

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Yay! You're the best, The Busaiku!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Good kid.

Also, note that Saitama was the only one who was looking up at the end. I don't think the others could see Garou leave.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Mystic Mongol posted:

Good kid.

Also, note that Saitama was the only one who was looking up at the end. I don't think the others could see Garou leave.

Yeah only Saitama could see it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The lesson we all take away from this is that Sweet Mask is a rank S rear end in a top hat

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.
I'm guessing the hero association is going to blame Saitama for letting Garou get away and lower his rank.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

kwokkie posted:

I'm guessing the hero association is going to blame Saitama for letting Garou get away and lower his rank.

The entire reason there *are* S class heroes is because the Hero Association is pragmatic enough to realize that it needs ridiculously strong motherfuckers to handle big monsters, no matter how weird or anti-social they are. They tried the popularity bullshit before, and it lead to high ranking weaklings that got wrekced. At the end of the day pretty much nobody that fought Garou can pretend that Saitama isn't really, really strong. And that's all the Hero Association cares about.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
But the thing is, no one there aside from Bang, Genos and possibly King (which is hilarious) seem to realize that it wasn't a one-time thing. Saitama can do that much and far, far more at will. They were all framing it as an epic, heroic battle against evil while Saitama thought of it as a guy who ran out on a check throwing a childish tantrum. The reason they were so obsessed with killing Garou wasn't for revenge or justice. It was because they were afraid of how strong he was. A super strong monster, they can understand. Saitama is something that none of them can understand unless they let go of their hero-centric worldview. Sweet Mask in particular doesn't seem to realize how strong Saitama is, and was unintentionally doing his level best to provoke a mostly passive demigod to smack him into orbit.

In short, most of the s-rank heroes would need to remove their heads from their asses to understand what happened, which doesn't seem likely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 17, 2014

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
The biggest issue currently is where Saitama's going to live now that his house has been destroyed.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Zero_Tactility posted:

The biggest issue currently is where Saitama's going to live now that his house has been destroyed.

Non-stop videogame party in King's apartment. They can invite Garou too. Not like he's got anything better to do, even though he managed to get away he's still just another chump who didn't have enough conviction in his hobby.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Genos still rich? I think they'll manage.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

kwokkie posted:

I guess it would depend on who the Hero Association asked about the event. I think half of them would say Saitama got in the way to save face. The rest would attest that the guy's basically on a whole new level of craziness. But Saitama himself wouldn't give one poo poo one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Silver Fang's been pretty adamant about how powerful Saitama is and that he's a shoe in to become S-Rank, and basically every hero there was begging him to finish of Garou because they saw him manhandle the dude. Genos and King would obviously have his back.

But it's a joke comic. If there's a way to make Saitama not making S-Rank funny then that takes precedence over reason.