Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mewcenary posted:

I put this in the iPad thread but feel this is an ideal place to ask it too!

I have an iPad 2 from work but am thinking of grabbing an iPad air or Mini Retina. I'd probably prefer the form factor of the Mini. I'm just after input from those who have been gaming with it - let's say: KOTOR, WHQuest, XCOM to name three examples. Does the screen size work well with that sort of thing?

Yeah it's perfect, I don't regret the size of mine at all.

The only thing game-wise that the full size would be useful for would be board games with pass and play or something. IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

edit: whoops.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 16, 2014

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
E: Wrong thread.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

Well, I'm a Dwarven Shaman, how's that? I'm only, like, 25 minutes in. Should I be restarting as something else? I just now just now noticed I can only go so far in the Charisma tree.

All builds are applicable, I played a hacker street samurai and did fine. The hacking bits are a lot easier with a back up and you get karma like candy. My main recommendation is go shotgun.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

ihatepants posted:

Is save game editing considered to be :filez:?

I'm not familiar with Adventure Time specifically, but if you're talking about circumventing IAP, then yes it is :filez:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Pladdicus posted:

All builds are applicable, I played a hacker street samurai and did fine. The hacking bits are a lot easier with a back up and you get karma like candy. My main recommendation is go shotgun.

Having a little sideline pistol skill was helpful for me as the free reload you get later on means you are never unable to attack.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ihatepants posted:

Is save game editing considered to be :filez:? If it is, I will edit this out.

You're literally telling ways to get something you're supposed to pay for without paying for it, so even if that's not :filez: it's probably not kosher to post it here.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Not for nothing, but if there's one time I can really support screwing over an app developer's IAP plan, it's in a $4 single-player game with timers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

Not for nothing, but if there's one time I can really support screwing over an app developer's IAP plan, it's in a $4 single-player game with timers.

Still circumventing copyright. The ethics of it are another matter...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tuyop posted:

Still circumventing copyright.

No it isn't.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fallom posted:

No it isn't.

I thought IAP was a digital lock. I know that's not technically copyright, but what is it legally? Edit: you're just stealing content, as if you broke through any paywall.

jim bob
Apr 7, 2009

Love is over.
If you are trying not to pay for gems then your only option is to beat a stage/level 2 more times with requirements like "don't play any spell cards" or "use all corn cards" to get 1 gem.

I'm currently at stage 36 where matches cost 4 energy per battle and if you lose your options is to either spend a $1 gem to restart the match (a waste of a gem) or lose 4/16 energy. This would be understandable if it wasn't for the fact that higher quality cards are just a straight upgrade due to costing the same amount as a lesser card to play. I thought my (5ATK/5HP) farmer was good until it ran into a (9ATK/11HP) mummy and the CPU played two on opening turn. At stage 36 the CPU starts playing (22ATK/5HP) pumpkins that cost 2/5 mana, this is where I quit.

My strategy was to grind gems, open up the $3 box and hope I got a good 3+ card. If you get lucky and get a super rare card like a Corn King (10atk/36hp) or a Dark Angel (20atk/15hp) then you can at least cheese the CPU until it catches up.

I'm taking a break from the game but if I do start it back up I will probably :filez: it up.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Orvin posted:

Dungelot 2 question:

How or where do you actually get equipment? I am a little wary of dropping a ton of gold on the damage increase at the inn that it will take to kill the first boss that shows up.

You have to defeat a boss. You'll see that meter at the top right with the crown fill up as you go down dungeon levels, and then when it's fill and upgraded "boss" version of a monster will appear on a dungeon tile. Kill him and you get a piece of equipment and a master key.

I found that I had to get at least 3 attack before I could last long enough to down my first boss.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

You also have to equip weapon & armor by double tapping it before your next dungeon exploration. I kept assuming they would equip automatically, then felt daft my friend pointed this out.

I hate the monsters with the rage trait. Goddamn, 8 attack and it increases each turn? Instadeath.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Finally got a 768 in Threes. Broke 30k!

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

TheManWithNoName posted:

Finally got a 768 in Threes. Broke 30k!

Check this poo poo out, a dude(ette) on TouchArcade got a 6144 block- http://toucharcade.com/2014/02/16/threes-tips-how-to-get-the-6144-card/

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

You have to defeat a boss. You'll see that meter at the top right with the crown fill up as you go down dungeon levels, and then when it's fill and upgraded "boss" version of a monster will appear on a dungeon tile. Kill him and you get a piece of equipment and a master key.

I found that I had to get at least 3 attack before I could last long enough to down my first boss.

I managed to grind enough coins to get to 4 attack before going in on a boss run. I managed to kill the boss without too much trouble, but even after upgrading the sword to level 4 (+3 attack and chance to counter) it was going to take a bunch of extra attacks to kill the second boss. The game is interesting and a little fun, but not enough to overcome the obvious grindy nature of the game. I ended up deleting it, because it takes too long to make even minor progress at the start of the game. I would rather play pocket mine which is fast enough that I don't mind the small progress.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

io_burn posted:

Check this poo poo out, a dude(ette) on TouchArcade got a 6144 block- http://toucharcade.com/2014/02/16/threes-tips-how-to-get-the-6144-card/

Oh my god

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
That's gotta go down as the longest poop ever.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I'm enjoying Card Wars so far. You get one gem for getting all three stars on each level, and it's three gems for a pull from the "algebraic chest", so basically every three levels you can get at minimum a new rare card, plus whatever other stuff you've gotten. And they start you off with 8 gems, too. I've already gotten two crazy good 5-star cards and that's just through the first six levels.

All that said, both the timer and the huge imbalance between common cards and rare ones is a bit of a turn-off, especially on a $4 game. Still, it's pretty fun for now.

EDIT: The game appears to be chugging right now on my 4s, which isn't great given the attack/defense wheels.

Vice Zoomler Aestro fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 17, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So for any goons playing Battle Nations, I created a guild called Something Sensitive. Feel free to join. I will be your friend and touch your factories and sweet resource holes.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

So for any goons playing Battle Nations, I created a guild called Something Sensitive. Feel free to join. I will be your friend and touch your factories and sweet resource holes.

Join us you goons. We have planes to earn!

Kaf
Mar 20, 2005

This thread is dyn-o-mite!
Disclosure: I worked on this game from April 2011 to September 2013, but have no current stake in its success.

Second Chance Heroes was released for iOS on Monday and seems to be doing pretty well with the reviews, like its 4.5 on TouchArcade. Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Gauntlet were big influences for us, so I'm glad that TA picked up on it and dug it. The guys added the microtransactions in porting to iOS after I left, so hopefully they're not too egregious. drat game was and still is stuck in Greenlight limbo for Steam, so if you end up liking it on iOS, consider giving it a vote there too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kaf posted:

Disclosure: I worked on this game from April 2011 to September 2013, but have no current stake in its success.

Second Chance Heroes was released for iOS on Monday and seems to be doing pretty well with the reviews, like its 4.5 on TouchArcade. Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Gauntlet were big influences for us, so I'm glad that TA picked up on it and dug it. The guys added the microtransactions in porting to iOS after I left, so hopefully they're not too egregious. drat game was and still is stuck in Greenlight limbo for Steam, so if you end up liking it on iOS, consider giving it a vote there too.

I really like it but desperately want MFI controller support. It's very good.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Tengami finally comes out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jpgtduncCY

quote:

Tengami is an atmospheric adventure game set inside a Japanese pop-up book. Fold and slide the beautifully crafted paper world to solve puzzles and discover secrets. Award Nominations: SXSW, IndieCade, SOWN, Develop Showcase

Tengami is a complete game with no In-App Purchases and no in-game advertisements.

Discover the wonders of a folding world
Go on a serene journey through Japan of ancient fairy tales brought to life through striking visuals, unique gameplay and haunting music. Experience dark forests, abandoned shrines and tranquil mountain waterfalls as you seek to uncover the secret behind the lone dying cherry tree.

First of its kind pop-up book gameplay
Not a book, but a game inside a pop-up book. Tengami plays like nothing else before it. Reach directly into the world to flip, fold and slide parts of the world to delve deeper into your mysterious journey.

Stunning original soundtrack
A beautiful and original soundtrack by renowned composer David Wise accompanies your adventure. Use of headphones is recommended for the most immersive experience.

Authentic and intricate
Tengami’s world is built as an authentically folding three dimensional pop-up book with an all new technology created just for this game. Everything seen in the game could be recreated in real-life with just paper, scissors and glue.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 20, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kaf posted:

I REALLY like what I've seen of the game so far, to the point that I might just buy the PC version and use an XBox controller.

That said, there are two big issues that I see right now with how it's implemented on iOS:

1) there seems to be something hosed with menu textures. Are there supposed to be pictures of the characters, levels, items, etc? Because all I'm seeing now is text next to black boxes. In game works fine though.

2) oh holy poo poo the controls are awful. They're loving abysmal even by the standards of iOS virtual controllers. The virtual joysticks are twichy, the detection for the extra buttons is poo poo, and my god how many loving buttons do you have mapped in this game? I can see how it would be neat as gently caress on a dual stick controller but something needs to be profoundly re-thought as to how the touch-screen implementation is being done.

As it stands the controls were bad enough that I deleted it after about 10 minutes. The game itself looks awesome as gently caress, though, and I'm going to see if I can find a plain vanilla windows copy or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kaf posted:

Holy poo poo, it's like Clone High meets Torchlight. Solid.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

You can now play Gameboy Advance games on your iPhone without jailbreaking

http://gba4iosapp.com/

Go to the link on your iphone (must have IOS7), download app, and enjoy. It's that easy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Go to the link on your iphone (must have IOS7), download app, and enjoy. It's that easy

Is this like the last one that uses an enterprise certificate and the app will stop working once apple revokes it?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

theblackw0lf posted:

I loving love you. How do I install the roms off zip files, though? Or do I have to hunt around for .rom files only?

Edit: Nevermind. It seems as though it unzips them automatically, but sometimes fails. If/when it doesn't auto unzip, you can just re-download.

cname fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 19, 2014

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

xzzy posted:

Is this like the last one that uses an enterprise certificate and the app will stop working once apple revokes it?

Yup, Apple will kill the cert shorty and users will have to set back their system clock to launch it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can even play WarioWare: Twisted! on it which uses the accelerometer.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Tengami is amazing and you should all get it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can even play WarioWare: Twisted! on it which uses the accelerometer.

Oh my god

Edit: This is amazing. Easily the best game on iOS and it was free :v:

I have an emulator on my android tablet but it was a bit of a hassle to go track down the roms, unzip them, then load them. Here you literally are taken to a menu in-app, click a thing, and bam you're playing Super Mario World.

As expected though it works better with RPGs than Super Mario World. How easy is it to get the Bluetooth of a Dualshock 3 working with the inbuilt "controller" function of iOS7?

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 20, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Autumn Dynasty is going free for a week; I remember wish listing it a long time ago because it was supposed to be good I guess?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Check this poo poo out, the dev of MAME built an AI that plays Threes! and I bet it scores better than most people that play the game (Averaging close to 30k)- http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3136431&postcount=485

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

duckfarts posted:

Autumn Dynasty is going free for a week; I remember wish listing it a long time ago because it was supposed to be good I guess?

If you want an RTS on your phone/tablet then it's pretty much top tier stuff, yeah. It's not super complex and it doesn't do anything unique for the genre, but it's just clearly built for touchscreens and feels really fluid.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

duckfarts posted:

Thanks for this update. I think they took down the old app and put up this new one (as free) which is weird, and consequently I didn't get a wishlist update like I thought I would? Anyway, I remember hearing lots about this one so looking forward to trying it out (on iPad).

Past Memories also went free, which I had wishlisted for some reason, so maybe that's a thing people might like.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Kenny Logins posted:

Thanks for this update. I think they took down the old app and put up this new one (as free) which is weird, and consequently I didn't get a wishlist update like I thought I would? Anyway, I remember hearing lots about this one so looking forward to trying it out (on iPad).

Past Memories also went free, which I had wishlisted for some reason, so maybe that's a thing people might like.

Their publishing agreement with Bulkypix must've expired. It's re-listed under the developer's own iTunes account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

io_burn posted:

Their publishing agreement with Bulkypix must've expired. It's re-listed under the developer's own iTunes account.
Too bad, that'll probably cost them a lot of good reviews, which I'm only assuming they had. Anyway, way less shady-seeming with that explanation.

• Locked thread