Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Anders posted:

The only dragon I can remember chasing tail were Viserys creeping on his sister.

Can't blame him for that though. :shrug:

As for the dragon chasing it's tail banner, maybe it's the Velaryion banner? It's the only banner showing a dragon, except for the Targs, that I know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Baldbeard posted:

Hey Song book nerds, I'm trying to remember a part from the series and I need some help. Is there a banner that's a dragon chasing its own tail? I thought there was a story about dragons trying to attack people, but they hid and drove the dragons mad, hence the banner. I can't figure out who or where though.

House Toland

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Toland

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ulvir posted:

I always read through those kind of threads after I've watched an episode just to see what other goons' reactions were, and I can confirm that this did in fact happen. TVIV people are completely bonkers when it comes to the possibility of knowing that someone ate a piece of pizza 10 seconds before they see it on-screen themselves.

poo poo's nuts.

Why the gently caress are they liveposting in the first place? just watch the drat show!

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why the gently caress are they liveposting in the first place? just watch the drat show!

Yeah I don't get that. Let's stop watching the thing we really want to watch in order to post about watching it on the internet? Is there a draw to liveposting a tv show other than wanting to be the first to post about a thing that happened? Does it validate your existence to post about tv on something awful dot com, am I missing an important and fulfilling aspect of life here or what.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Yeah that definitely seems like the banner, the explanation has to do with time though. I thought for sure there was a story about people hiding in the hills from dragons and making them pissed off cause they couldn't find anyone to burn/consume.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Baldbeard posted:

Yeah that definitely seems like the banner, the explanation has to do with time though. I thought for sure there was a story about people hiding in the hills from dragons and making them pissed off cause they couldn't find anyone to burn/consume.

I think it ties into the whole failed first invasion of Dorne in which the Dornish (Toland is Dornish) stymied the Targaryens and their dragons by refusing to meet in open combat. Dorne was brought into the 7 kingdoms more through diplomacy I think.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Traxus IV posted:

Yeah I don't get that. Let's stop watching the thing we really want to watch in order to post about watching it on the internet? Is there a draw to liveposting a tv show other than wanting to be the first to post about a thing that happened? Does it validate your existence to post about tv on something awful dot com, am I missing an important and fulfilling aspect of life here or what.

It's really fun liveposting along with a comedy because after a funny line on the show, you get to see that same funny line quoted in the thread 7 times, so you re-live the humour, 7 times over! It also means that you get to read all the funny lines you've missed because you've been liveposting. It's great!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
7 kingdoms is a pretty dumb name because there are like 9 of them and they aren't really kingdoms!!!

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Jeffrey posted:

7 kingdoms is a pretty dumb name because there are like 9 of them and they aren't really kingdoms!!!

There used to be 7 kingdoms before Aegon came ; The Kingdom of the North, the Kingdom of Mountain and Vale, the Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers, Kingdom of the Rock, Kingdom of the Reach, Kingdom of the Stormlands and Dorne. Hence the name. :ms:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Still it'd be like calling the US "the 13 colonies", it is a bad name.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

If we're comparing to the us, it'll be the difference between referring to the us as these United States and THE united states before and after the civil war. The Starks are going extinct sling with the Tullys and the lannisters. Soon as Dany rolls in with her dragons (and her hat), federalism in westeros is done for. Look forward to a 55 speed limit attached to federal highway funds.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

"If I'm not liveposting, how will I know that internet strangers are laughing at the wit and wisdom of Tyrion Lannister via the method of the next 40 posts describing what he just said in 5 words or less?"

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It's like if you're a sad and lonely person and have no friends to watch tv shows with posting on the internet with like minded people is like having friends and it's in real time so that makes them real friends.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

Well Brits still call the US "the colonies" even though the vast majority were established after the War for Independence was won, so it's not wholly unprecedented.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Baldbeard posted:

It's from the Wind of Winter's preview chapter for Arianne:

quote:

"I can attest to that." Ser Daemon took a sip of wine and said, "House Toland has a dragon on its banners."
"A dragon eating its own tail, aye," Valena said. "From the days of Aegon’s Conquest. He did not conquer here. Elsewhere he burned his foes, him and his sisters, but here we melted away before them, leaving only stone and sand for them to burn. And round and round the dragons went, snapping at their tails for want of any other food, till they were tied in knots."

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

lemonadesweetheart posted:

It's like if you're a sad and lonely person and have no friends to watch tv shows with posting on the internet with like minded people is like having friends and it's in real time so that makes them real friends.

I feel like this is probably the most accurate summation.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

It's from the Wind of Winter's preview chapter for Arianne:

Yessssss thank you.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Could I still volunteer to do a book chapter for kinks? I need some writing excuses.

Sure, take one of the untouched chapters I posted earlier.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I wrote y'all a chapter and put it in the doc, I hope it's half as legible as arbite's stuff

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Well Brits still call the US "the colonies" even though the vast majority were established after the War for Independence was won, so it's not wholly unprecedented.

I've never heard this in my neck of these desolate, uncivilised woods.
As far as I know, we just call the US, "America".

lemonadesweetheart posted:

As a sad and lonely person, I can only say that you're probably dead on.
The whole realisation that you're posting in a thread to substitute friends has to be a motherfucker of a downer when the moment has passed.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

ZShakespeare posted:

I wrote y'all a chapter and put it in the doc, I hope it's half as legible as arbite's stuff

gently caress yes, not even gonna read it, straight to the printers!

Also!

:siren:It's V Day:siren:

So why not celebrate with your close and lovely loved ones by giving them the finest gift of all? No, not a nubile young actress that got passed over on GoT casting! No, not even shitdick!

Share the magic, and wonder, and, comma splices of!

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/269101

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Jeffrey posted:

It's not exactly genius, no, but what else could he have called it? Aegonnia or Targaryos? :stare: I'm terrible with names and so was he probably.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

southwesteros

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aurain posted:

I've never heard this in my neck of these desolate, uncivilised woods.
As far as I know, we just call the US, "America".

Weird. I've definitely heard that turn of phrase from more than one Brit in my lifetime. Maybe you guys get told to say it by customs before you come over or something.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, no one ever calls America 'The colonies' outside of an occasional joke.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe it's an uppercrust thing.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I call it "that piss hole that keeps ruining our politics"

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Could I still volunteer to do a book chapter for kinks? I need some writing excuses.

"15. Jenn [Vampire][EROTIC]
Jenn and the Day's Watch finds a very old city that the scouts said was likely where all the freemen had run to for shelter. The city is very large, but compact, ideal to repel the cold, with a massive wood burning pit in the center of town to always provide light and heat. When they arrive, there is not one person there. They search from home to home, but like everywhere else it's just as though everyone vanished into thin air. As night falls, the Watch makes camp in one of the deserted buildings, as Jenn and Depressing Dave try to start a fire in the massive pit. Then some strange sounds are heard and soon men are screaming and they hear swords crashing at stone. Jenn draws her sword, but Dave insists they start the fire. “There's a reason they kept a fire” he tells her. They work frantically amid sounds of screaming and swords striking and soon they have a small fire and quickly throw everythinjg they can on it. As the fire grows in size the fighting dies down, as the screams of men dying becomes less frequent. Dave refuses to leave the fire. He talks Jenn into staying, as there's a reason they've been left alone amidst the chaos. As they wait in the dark, Dave vanishes as Jenn nods off. When she looks up, she meets the beautiful vampire leader Ed Lestadt."

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 15, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dutchfool posted:

It's not exactly genius, no, but what else could he have called it? Aegonnia or Targaryos? :stare: I'm terrible with names and so was he probably.

What about, the United Kingdoms of Westeros.

Also "The Colonies" isn't that far removed from "The United States" name wise, it just doesn't make sense for an independent country to be called a colony, but beyond that it's not that weird a name.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 15, 2014

g r r nasty
Dec 19, 2013

by Red Star Baldgreg

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

mind the walrus posted:

Nobody actually does this unironically except lunatics and the extreme upper class and frankly if you have a lot of dealings with them it's your own drat fault.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

What a majestuous bastard. I'm going to have this picture in my nightmares now, though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This still brings a smile to my face. Oldie but a goodie.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, no one ever calls America 'The colonies' outside of an occasional joke.

I've heard the US called that, but generally by people who also refer to London as the Smoke.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Dutchfool posted:

I'm going to have this picture in my nightmares now, though.

Sexy, erotic nightmares.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

who made this? its pretty amazing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does anyone else here "read" the series via audiobook? I'm on Storm of Swords now, and Tywin seems to suddenly sounds like Churchill. Not that I dislike it, but I'm pretty sure it's a new development.

I like Roy Dotrice's reading though, it's just a worry that with him being 90, he's not going to be able to finish this thing.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
As far as finishing the series is concerned, Roy Dotrice is the least of your worries.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does anyone else here "read" the series via audiobook? I'm on Storm of Swords now, and Tywin seems to suddenly sounds like Churchill. Not that I dislike it, but I'm pretty sure it's a new development.

I like Roy Dotrice's reading though, it's just a worry that with him being 90, he's not going to be able to finish this thing.

Honesty I listened to every book save for the first and I think parts of the second on audio and that is the leaf of your worries. Roy Dotrice talking about making GBS threads and pissing is really awkward as well as the Dany sex scenes.

Still can't get him saying Sticky Princes out of my head ether...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

I like ASOIAF though, it's just a worry that with me being 25, I'm not going to be able to finish reading this thing.

Modified for accuracy because GURM is the planet's undying avatar of sexual deviancy, so I'm more likely to die than him.