Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The version of "Venus" with the Muppets was pretty much the bomb. But count me among the huge Lady Gaga fans that wasn't much into the album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

PUGGERNAUT posted:

For me, all of the sons on BTW were okay/good, nothing spectacular. Artpop was very hit or miss, but the songs I liked were GREAT. (Dope is so underrated)

Dope is definitely my favorite of the Gaga ballads.

If I had to point out something I thought was weak about the album, I'd say some of the lyrical metaphors (G.U.Y.) were tortured to the point of embarrassment. Not Venus though, Venus rocks. It's probably not the best choice for a mainstream single, though. And I thought that the pure desperation oozing from Applause worked in its favor, making it more relatable and dark rather than self-congratulatory and solipsistic (like it's constantly accused of).

I think with how big Gaga was, the story was always going to be her downfall. No one can maintain that high a level of acclaim and popularity indefinitely. I wonder if Adele will face a similar backlash, or if her absence and much pleasanter persona will let her keep the public's goodwill.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Christmas Jones posted:

You will remember this post, when I appeared to you, even though no one will believe you and you will begin to doubt yourselves. Scientists will admit there's a possibility I exist, but they'll mock the guy who goes out into the woods hoping to catch a glimpse of me. You might think I'm a troll or an impostor no matter what evidence I provide, or at least you'll tell yourselves that to maintain your sanity.

I am the person who wasn't a big fan of Born This Way, but loving loves Artpop.

Eh, I'd agree with this. Didn't care for most of BTW, and I'm surprised that Artpop is getting this much hate when it's a much more interesting and consistent album.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Have anyone watched that "Shush Up" video by 11-year-old Alison Gold? It's another production of Patrice "Rebecca Black's Friday" Wilson. My internet is slow at the moment and the video is being taken down from a lot of places, so I cannot really comment on it, but apparently it features a lot things inappropriate for a music video featuring an 11-year-old singer.

edit:
Here's the most legit-looking news item about it I can find.

And I also found a video that is still up, but like I said my internet is preventing me from seeing it. Is it really that bad?

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 16, 2014

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
That video is unsettling, but the song is a lot better than Friday or its ilk if only because there's fewer words (maybe I'm crazy). It's kinda stomach-turning to give an 11-year-old Ke$ha's gimmick though.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
All of these post-Rebecca Black videos are trying way too hard to go viral. They will never recapture the beauty of Friday

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Christmas Jones posted:

You will remember this post, when I appeared to you, even though no one will believe you and you will begin to doubt yourselves. Scientists will admit there's a possibility I exist, but they'll mock the guy who goes out into the woods hoping to catch a glimpse of me. You might think I'm a troll or an impostor no matter what evidence I provide, or at least you'll tell yourselves that to maintain your sanity.

I am the person who wasn't a big fan of Born This Way, but loving loves Artpop.

Yeah, there's plenty of you. I'm you. (ARTPOP owns.)

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
Chinese Food was funny but this video's just really weird for the aforementioned reasons

If Alison was 10 years older this would probably be the closest thing to a legitimate song that guy's pushed out

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In "music that isn't bad" news, Miley is on tour now, and apparently the show ain't bad. She shows off her voice (insomuch as it can be shown off), shows off her rear end (this apparently goes over much better), and covers Hey Ya and Jolene, almost certainly marking the first time anyone has ever put these two songs in the same show.

Also, apparently John K (guy behind Ren and Stimpy/world class rear end in a top hat) did some animation work for the show. Which... I have no loving idea.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Valex posted:

Chinese Food was funny but this video's just really weird for the aforementioned reasons

If Alison was 10 years older this would probably be the closest thing to a legitimate song that guy's pushed out
I genuinely kind of liked Chinese Food, it was so stupid but I like the chorus quite a bit

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Edit: Never mind.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 18, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

They look like some kind of hipster wet dream.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

the truth posted:

So does CHVRCHES and CHVRCHES kicks rear end.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

the truth posted:

They look like young people wearing clothes.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

PUGGERNAUT posted:

So does CHVRCHES and CHVRCHES kicks rear end.

I am so happy someone else thinks this.
All my friends are pretty "meh" about them but I can barely get enough.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Spiteski posted:

I am so happy someone else thinks this.
All my friends are pretty "meh" about them but I can barely get enough.

I was also pretty "meh" about them at first, it took me a few listens to really start liking them. I am glad I stuck with it though!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
CHVRCHES is great and I'm afraid I may have burned myself out on them, I haven't listened to them in like a week but have been humming various songs ever since then

edit: this idea of "looks like hipsters" as a criticism (esp when the definition doesn't seem much more precise than "young people, who have hairstyles, who wear clothes") is intensely stupid though.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

I'm an old person so all I see are some nice looking young people who seem wholesome and cute. Maybe they are doing it ironically, though, idk. v:shobon:v

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

het posted:

They look like young people wearing clothes.

Different clothes have different styles.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Edit: Never mind.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 18, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
This is slightly ranty, please don't take it personally ;).

Yes. Because there is literally nothing worse in the world than this. I hate a capella versions, I hate lovely "two guys play one guitar" versions, I hate videos of street musicians playing around with loops, I really hate EVERYTHING that makes people go "oh but isn't it IMPRESSIVE?". No, it's not. Why the gently caress would I want to listen to vocal versions of Daft Punk songs? One thing that really elevates their songs is the awesome electronic production. The last thing I ever want to hear or see is a bunch of people in what looks like anime gear singing a Bobby McFerrin version of Technologic.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 18, 2014

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Is there a thread for music that is popular that people like with no other criteria?

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 18, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

DominoDancing posted:

This is slightly ranty, please don't take it personally ;).

Yes. Because there is literally nothing worse in the world than this. I hate a capella versions, I hate lovely "two guys play one guitar" versions, I hate videos of street musicians playing around with loops, I really hate EVERYTHING that makes people go "oh but isn't it IMPRESSIVE?". No, it's not. Why the gently caress would I want to listen to vocal versions of Daft Punk songs? One thing that really elevates their songs is the awesome electronic production. The last thing I ever want to hear or see is a bunch of people in what looks like anime gear singing a Bobby McFerrin version of Technologic.

I have never agreed with a post as much as this one. Goddamn I am sick of novelty covers of Top 40 songs.

No I do not want to watch your acapella version of Blurred Lines

(some of those street musician ones are p.cool though)

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Christmas Jones posted:

Is it a Gaga fan thread? Those don't count.

edit: And by that I mean that when I'm trying to figure out why my tastes in this instance differ so greatly from critics and general music fans, I'm not going to consider people who think everything the artist does is wonderful no matter what.

You know that you can be a fan and still be critical of an artist's work, right? I am a huge Gaga fan and I'm gonna go see her in september, but I think that ARTPOP is her worst album yet. There is a Gaga thread for discussion about this. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3182916

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Is there a thread for music that is popular that people like with no other criteria?

This thread. I don't think anyone was trying to scare you off, but I can only speak for myself. I didn't see your second post before you edited it.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

I am really not looking for an argument about pop music but I do think a complex vocal arrangement isn't a novelty cover, especially when the "original" material is already really derivative. Is Soft Cell's cover of "Tainted Love" also a novelty cover? It has far less musical merit compared to its source material than PTX's Daft Punk medley, but it's also one of the most iconic pop hits of the 80s.

I am genuinely asking here because I've only really started listening to pop music again recently, and in the other genres I'm familiar with (classical, folk, and various alt-things) nobody seems to question the artistic merit of covers and other derivative works.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

I am really not looking for an argument about pop music but I do think a complex vocal arrangement isn't a novelty cover, especially when the "original" material is already really derivative. Is Soft Cell's cover of "Tainted Love" also a novelty cover? It has far less musical merit compared to its source material than PTX's Daft Punk medley, but it's also one of the most iconic pop hits of the 80s.

I am genuinely asking here because I've only really started listening to pop music again recently, and in the other genres I'm familiar with (classical, folk, and various alt-things) nobody seems to question the artistic merit of covers and other derivative works.

I'm sorry, I don't really want to start an argument either, that was just something I had to get off my chest. I guess this thread IS actually the right place to discuss that stuff as well. It's just that the Pentatonix medley in particular has been thrown at me again and again, and I personally didn't like it the first time I heard it.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 18, 2014

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

DominoDancing posted:

I'm sorry, I don't really want to start an argument either, that was just something I had to get off my chest. I guess this thread IS actually the right place to discuss that stuff as well. It's just that the Pentatonix medley in particular has been thrown at me again and again, and I personally didn't like it the first time I heard it.

No problem, and I can respect that. I actually don't really like Daft Punk, but I do like the Pentatonix medley, so it probably makes sense that the things that I really like about it might make you actively dislike it.

And I will definitely agree that deliberately gimmicky covers wear thin pretty quickly, though I don't know if I'll ever get tired of the sad clown singing "Royals".

So moving on, I want to express my gratitude to whoever it was who posted about Marina and the Diamonds because I hadn't heard her before and she's now my new favorite.

I am slowly learning current pop but the local pop radio station is pretty annoying so I'm mostly sticking to spotify and this thread.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

No problem, and I can respect that. I actually don't really like Daft Punk, but I do like the Pentatonix medley, so it probably makes sense that the things that I really like about it might make you actively dislike it.

And I will definitely agree that deliberately gimmicky covers wear thin pretty quickly, though I don't know if I'll ever get tired of the sad clown singing "Royals".

So moving on, I want to express my gratitude to whoever it was who posted about Marina and the Diamonds because I hadn't heard her before and she's now my new favorite.

I am slowly learning current pop but the local pop radio station is pretty annoying so I'm mostly sticking to spotify and this thread.

Well, Marina and the Diamonds, we can definately agree on her!

When talking about pop singers with a bit of character, I can also recommend Janelle Monae, although her style is a bit more R'n'B than the currently popular EDM influenced pop. I just love this performance of Dance Apocalyptic on Letterman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0gMYq6Odw

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Oh, yeah, I've been a fan of Janelle Monae for a little while. I didn't realize she was considered pop, but I guess those distinctions are pretty fuzzy. She certainly deserves to be popular.

I've been digging Lana Del Rey an awful lot today. I'm glad I didn't let the Lorde comparisons keep me away because I honestly can't hear much similarity. Lana has an absolutely amazing voice, and if Lorde has a similar voice it has yet to emerge.

I'd like to go for some gender balance, but I like singers a lot more than rappers so if you can suggest some men who can really sing, that would be great.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Here are all the male pop singers/groups I have on my phone:

-Bright Light Bright Light (dance-pop, basically the male equivalent of Kylie Minogue)
-Darren Hayes (1/2 of Savage Garden. I only have one of his CDs - The SIren's Call - and it's solid. Talk Talk Talk and. Black Out The Sun are highlights)
-HURTS (Depeche Mode 2.0. First album is better than the second)
-John Newman (fun throwback Motowny stuff)
-Matt Cardle (won X Factor the year One Direction was on it. Most of his stuff is bland singer/songwriter crap but his 2013 CD is v.good)
-MNEK (R&Bish singer, I think e writes and produces as well. Does a great cover of Waiting ForTonight)
-Pet Shop Boys (duh)
-Robbie Williams (British pop star, he was in Take That, great voice but his material is very hit or miss)

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

-Pet Shop Boys (duh)

Pet Shop Boys are by FAR my most played artist, according to last.fm. The number of incredible melodies they've written over the years is astonishing, and that their albums are still worth the while after nearly thirty years is remarkable as well.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

-Robbie Williams (British pop star, he was in Take That, great voice but his material is very hit or miss)

His material might be hit and miss, but when it hits...No Regrets, Angels, Bodies, The Road To Mandalay, Tripping...I could go on.

The Sound of Arrows is another group I love. Their album was incredibly consistent. I have no idea if they still exist and will ever release a second album though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujO_N6DmFM8

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Thanks! I am looking forward to checking all of them out. And I know the Pet Shop Boys because I am old and from the 80s.

Speaking of which, Devo's guitarist Bob Casale is dead. I don't think it's easy to describe the overall effect Devo had on pop, but it was definitely weird. I remember when this video came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEVqFB4WUo

Today, we are all Devo.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Pet Shop Boys are the best. Can You Forgive Her is a masterpiece and I wish the rumors about Girls Aloud covering it for their 10 year anniversary were true.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oh, yeah, I've been a fan of Janelle Monae for a little while. I didn't realize she was considered pop, but I guess those distinctions are pretty fuzzy. She certainly deserves to be popular.

I've been digging Lana Del Rey an awful lot today. I'm glad I didn't let the Lorde comparisons keep me away because I honestly can't hear much similarity. Lana has an absolutely amazing voice, and if Lorde has a similar voice it has yet to emerge.

I'd like to go for some gender balance, but I like singers a lot more than rappers so if you can suggest some men who can really sing, that would be great.

If you don't like rappers then avoid the whole album, but one of my favorite pop songs of the last few years is Hold On We're Going Home, by Drake.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there aren't a lot of male singers on US pop radio at the moment, and almost all of the ones who are are really R&B influenced. That's not a bad thing per se, but there's not a huge amount of variety.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

If you don't like rappers then avoid the whole album, but one of my favorite pop songs of the last few years is Hold On We're Going Home, by Drake.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there aren't a lot of male singers on US pop radio at the moment, and almost all of the ones who are are really R&B influenced. That's not a bad thing per se, but there's not a huge amount of variety.

Oh, I like rappers, I just really enjoy singers a lot more. I'll check it out.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I really miss the pop/R&B of the early 00s. Been listening to a lot of Craig David and Brandy lately.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Irrelevant to the current discussion, but I was just recommended this artist on Spotify. While I would quickly dismiss her as yet another electropop artist, I was surprised at how catchy and nice it sounded with headphones. She's very similar to Robyn but I have to admit I prefer the production on some of Vanbot's songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ckvLto_UU

I tried to find more of her on Youtube, but she's apparently quite unknown. Her album is up on Spotify however if you're interested. I recommend Safe by the Numbers. I love the ethereal production of that one.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Vanbot is pretty cool. Really you can't go wrong with some Swedish sadbangers.

Also there is a new Florrie EP coming this ~spring~ it's called Sirens it's gonna be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Oh my god I'm so excited I love Florrie so much!