Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

mindphlux posted:

edit unrelated : gently caress ford fry

this is my new atlanta-dining-scene mantra.
I take it you took a trip to St. Cecilia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

mindphlux posted:

food is good, I've been maybe 5 times now? my main complaints are it's a bit loud, a bit pricey, and the menu doesn't really change as far as I can tell. but again, good food.

edit unrelated : gently caress ford fry

this is my new atlanta-dining-scene mantra.

I have no desire to go back to King + Duke, but did you try his new place St. Cecilia yet? The menu looks good, albeit a bit pricey. It took over the old Blue Pointe location.

We're going to Ru San's Buckhead now, since it's cheap as balls, and it's not a pretentious "Buckheady" restaurant. Haven't been in two years... Although their sushi is not really that great, it's still better than many others in town, and a much lower cost. It also seems like they seriously cleaned up their act after the Midtown fiasco.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Landrobot posted:

We're going to Ru San's Buckhead now, since it's cheap as balls, and it's not a pretentious "Buckheady" restaurant. Haven't been in two years... Although their sushi is not really that great, it's still better than many others in town, and a much lower cost. It also seems like they seriously cleaned up their act after the Midtown fiasco.

Ru San's Buckhead hasn't really changed in the last decade; I think the Midtown restaurant previously had different management, which is where everything went to hell. As far as price, you might also try Sushi Kiku on Lenox, which evens out its absurd menu prices by doing half-price sushi and rolls 7 days a week.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Ru-Sans Buckhead : "Yep, it's food!"™®

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Ru-Sans Buckhead: "At least we aren't Ru-Sans Midtown"

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
true story, one of the owners or family members of the owners or something (shorter woman) came up to me while I was eating at rusans once and asked if I lived in japan. I was like uhhhhhhh no? this is weird? why are you asking if I lived in japan? and she was like 'just the things you ordered were not normally what white people order, and also very varied which is the japanese style' which I guess is flattering

anyways we talked for a minute and she was like 'yeah whenever our family goes out for japanese food, we always go to shoya izakaya! it's very good you should go!' and started to leave

but then doubled back to our table and was like '...... but come back and eat here too also. :)'

:)

i lolled.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
We went to the Rusan's in Marietta off of Cobb Parkway years ago, and had a horrible experience. My wife ordered yakisoba, and it came out as a watery spaghetti. When she asked to return it, the chef came out and said this is authentic Japanese food. I'm not sure how you can mess up yakisoba, since it's about the simplest Japanese food you can make.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

anyways we talked for a minute and she was like 'yeah whenever our family goes out for japanese food, we always go to shoya izakaya! it's very good you should go!' and started to leave

Yes, I agree, Shoya Izakaya is much better. I found a place near my work called Sushi MITO http://www.sushimito.com/ which is also an authentic izakaya. Prices are fair and it's really good food! I don't know why I just discovered it last week, as it's been there awhile... so good!

I did bring some of my friends visiting from Osaka, Japan to Ru San's Buckhead once. Surprisingly, they said it was good and authentic. They mentioned the hot green tea was crap, but the food itself was on par with casual sushi places in Japan.

My chef friends showed me a copy of the newest 'Lucky Peach' magazine last night: http://lky.ph/ Check it out guys, this is an awesome food publication. It reads like a bunch of little books. I just signed up for a subscription too. Does anyone read this magazine?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

I found a place near my work called Sushi MITO http://www.sushimito.com/ which is also an authentic izakaya. Prices are fair and it's really good food! I don't know why I just discovered it last week, as it's been there awhile... so good!

I go there occasionally for lunch. You should also check out Kang Nam on BuHi. I go there most often when I want a sushi lunch.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Landrobot posted:

My chef friends showed me a copy of the newest 'Lucky Peach' magazine last night: http://lky.ph/ Check it out guys, this is an awesome food publication. It reads like a bunch of little books. I just signed up for a subscription too. Does anyone read this magazine?
I really want Issue #1 since it's the Ramen edition (go figure), but it's like $250 new on Amazon.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Ru San's Midtown is the one at Ansley Park, right? What happened there? Is it about the management jumbling they had in the past year or so? But yeah, I'd agree that Ru San's fits the niche of decent sushi for when you don't want to spend much money and maybe want to drink a lot with your friends while doing so.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Zenzirouj posted:

Ru San's Midtown is the one at Ansley Park, right? What happened there? Is it about the management jumbling they had in the past year or so? But yeah, I'd agree that Ru San's fits the niche of decent sushi for when you don't want to spend much money and maybe want to drink a lot with your friends while doing so.

This, along with some other issues, health warnings, etc.. http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/midtown-sushi-restaurant-closed-over-cockroaches/nZJYL/

Ru San himself works the Buckhead location; he's the older chef with the glasses near all the security camera monitors lolz.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Zenzirouj posted:

If you're down with Ru San's, I'd highly suggest checking out Matsuya in Toco Hills. Overall I'd say their sushi quality is much better and they have a $10.99 all you can eat lunch buffet. I went to try out the buffet, assuming the roll selection would be terrible. I was pleasantly surprised when not only were there about 20 different types to choose from, but they varied from more ridiculous fusion rolls to really basic standards like salmon and yellow tail.

It's not necessarily Shoya, but for cheap sushi I've yet to find anything that comes close to the price/quality ratio.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
RuSans is the McDonald's of sushi. Every location is exactly the same, is cheap, and gets the job done.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Haha, welp, the explains why there was a giant UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT sign when I went there for the first time in a long time a month or so ago. Also why the head chef was evasive when I asked about the sign and the remodeling they've done.

roobots posted:

If you're down with Ru San's, I'd highly suggest checking out Matsuya in Toco Hills. Overall I'd say their sushi quality is much better and they have a $10.99 all you can eat lunch buffet. I went to try out the buffet, assuming the roll selection would be terrible. I was pleasantly surprised when not only were there about 20 different types to choose from, but they varied from more ridiculous fusion rolls to really basic standards like salmon and yellow tail.

It's not necessarily Shoya, but for cheap sushi I've yet to find anything that comes close to the price/quality ratio.
Oh hey, that's not too far from me. I'll have to check that out sometime.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Anyone know if the brunch is really busy on Sundays at One Eared Stag? I want to take my sister for a birthday brunch, but I hate those brunch places in Atlanta that you have to wait 45 minutes just for a breakfast.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

AgentHaiTo posted:

Anyone know if the brunch is really busy on Sundays at One Eared Stag? I want to take my sister for a birthday brunch, but I hate those brunch places in Atlanta that you have to wait 45 minutes just for a breakfast.

I've never been for Sunday brunch, but I've never ever seen One Eared Stag busy. I was there today for brunch/lunch at about 12:30 and it was maybe half-full.

I ate at Better Half for the first time tonight. For the appetizer, I had the "ricotta dumpling, black bean, spanish chorizo, citrus, pea shoots" and it was nothing special. For the entree, I had the "seared scallops, duck skin croquant, butternut squash, lemon honey". I really liked this, but it felt it was rather small for $28. My dessert of "cocoa sponge, smoked cajeta, buttermilk ice cream, pomegranate" was really good. So I sort of had a mixed experience. I wasn't put off, and am looking forward to trying it again. As I watched them put together the other dishes, there were a number that looked tasty to me.

The space is nice, but could probably use one less seat at the bar as I was feeling a bit crammed in. They don't have a liquor license yet, so you can BYOB, but they didn't appear to have anything else to drink but tap water, some bottled water, and tea. The kitchen is small, and my appetizer felt like it took a while to come out. If this place gets busier (although it was basically near capacity when I left), parking may be an issue. There's a very small lot behind the building, and otherwise you have small stretch of State Street to park on before it turns into Home Park parking permit territory (which I think only applies until 7pm). I live within walking distance, so it won't bother me.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

venutolo posted:

I've never been for Sunday brunch, but I've never ever seen One Eared Stag busy. I was there today for brunch/lunch at about 12:30 and it was maybe half-full.

Well that sounds good, but she just called me and wants to go to Holeman and Finch for brunch. Never been for brunch though but menu looks good.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

AgentHaiTo posted:

Well that sounds good, but she just called me and wants to go to Holeman and Finch for brunch. Never been for brunch though but menu looks good.

AgentHaiTo posted:

but I hate those brunch places in Atlanta that you have to wait 45 minutes just for a breakfast.

Hahaha.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

I went to One Eared Stag for some Saturday brunch and had a fairly pleasant time. My girlfriend and I split the dumpster salad, biscuits and gravy (super peppery in a weird way), and the chef's breakfast, which was highlighted by the pork belly and grits and the fried quail breast biscuit. Not bad for under $50 before tip with drinks, although I would've liked the food to be a little warmer temperature wise. They also need to update their beer list as I struck out on my first three choices with the server generally being unaware as to what they actually had.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

confonnit posted:

biscuits and gravy (super peppery in a weird way)

Did you like them? They're my favorite item on the brunch menu and I order them literally every time.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

venutolo posted:

Did you like them? They're my favorite item on the brunch menu and I order them literally every time.

I did like them and could've easily eaten another serving. The pepper didn't really bother me and I probably wouldn't have noticed it if my girlfriend wouldn't have continuously pointed it out. They definitely could have been warmer, by the time we finished they were practically cold.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The wife and I went to F&B in Buckhead last night for our Valentine's Day dinner and hoooly crap it was good. Those were probably the best steaks we've ever had! We also got the cheese plate and the salmon puff appetizer. Delicious. Oh, and the complimentary valet was great, too.

It was expensive as hell (almost $150 including drinks and tip) but we knew what we were getting into. We definitely want to come back here and see what their lunch is like.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

AgentHaiTo posted:

gently caress this place so hard. My girlfriend and I waited like 45 minutes for brunch only for them to be out of the first thing I wanted, and then gently caress up my order and bring me a god drat mediocre hamburger instead of what I ordered. I still get irrationally angry when I think of Holeman and Finch.

edit: Arrrg! They're so drat haughty too! They're food is completely middle-of-the-road and they're not even a comfortable place to hang out. How the gently caress do they do it?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 16, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress this place so hard. My girlfriend and I waited like 45 minutes for brunch only for them to be out of the first thing I wanted, and then gently caress up my order and bring me a god drat mediocre hamburger instead of what I ordered. I still get irrationally angry when I think of Holeman and Finch.

edit: Arrrg! They're so drat haughty too! They're food is completely middle-of-the-road and they're not even a comfortable place to hang out. How the gently caress do they do it?

yeah, I'm definitely over h&f. completely over it.

they do it because the place was once actually loving cool. they had talent in the kitchen (literally everyone has left now, I knew most of the staff by name and had worked with a couple of during my ultrabrief stage at Eugene), and now they just have kids trying to recreate the same dishes that made them great.

prices used to be on average 3-5$ less, which made it more of an affordable place

waits used to be less, because instead of EVERY loving BRO AND FLOUNCEY oval office IN BUCKHEAD you just had to compete with the actual adventerous/trendy foodforward folks. which was still a wait, but not a wait getting drinks spilled on you by hundreds of obnoxiously loud and drunk pink polo shirt douchebags who are 'just trying to nom on a burger yo'.

I've said it before, but it's really true - them changing their hot chicken from a single $3-5 thigh, to a giant oversized $7-9 bone in breast epitomizes everything that is now wrong with that place. the thing wasn't even on the menu last time I went. gently caress h&f forever. I'm so ready to move out of south buckhead too =( please god let a decent house appear on zillow soon.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, I know Greg Best and he said that he got out of all of the H&F ventures because they were too "burger culture" focused. It's a shame, because they were one of my top spots a couple years ago.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Bourdain certainly didn't help

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
What did Bourdain do?

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Went to Holeman and Finch on one of his shows and took what was already a bro shitshow and cranked it up to where it is now.

That's according to my sister. I haven't been in years.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

DizzyBum posted:

The wife and I went to F&B in Buckhead last night for our Valentine's Day dinner and hoooly crap it was good. Those were probably the best steaks we've ever had! We also got the cheese plate and the salmon puff appetizer. Delicious. Oh, and the complimentary valet was great, too.

It was expensive as hell (almost $150 including drinks and tip) but we knew what we were getting into. We definitely want to come back here and see what their lunch is like.

Hell yeah! Glad you liked it! I keep mentioning F&B on here, as it's a treasure in Buckhead. I live practically across the street and go every so often. The cocktails are insanely good, on par with Leon's (not AS good as Leons, but close).

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I'm definitely over h&f. completely over it.

Glad I never went there. I went to Eugene's a few times, it's swanky and good food, but I never had to pick the tab up either ;) Didn't know you worked there, that's cool!

What about '1 Kept' in Buckhead? Anyone been yet? The place, ambiance, and food look promising.

confonnit posted:

Went to Holeman and Finch on one of his shows and took what was already a bro shitshow and cranked it up to where it is now.

The irony is Anthony Bourdain wrote a graphic novel, 'Get Jiro!', that is based around this entire phenomenon in yuppie-foodie-culture: http://www.amazon.com/Get-Jiro-Anthony-Bourdain/dp/1401228283

If you saw the Jiro movie, you'll definitely appreciate this book. It's a hysterical read!

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

I've got an anniversary dinner coming up in March and I'm looking for restaurant recommendations. We did Miller Union last year and were blown away by how good it was. Right now I'm looking at Kimball House and Better Half, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

roobots posted:

I've got an anniversary dinner coming up in March and I'm looking for restaurant recommendations. We did Miller Union last year and were blown away by how good it was. Right now I'm looking at Kimball House and Better Half, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

why not try Atlanta Favorite Holeman & Finch? :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

Glad I never went there. I went to Eugene's a few times, it's swanky and good food, but I never had to pick the tab up either ;) Didn't know you worked there, that's cool!

yeah, it was really awesome! it was only literally for a couple days - I hadn't worked in a kitchen since college, was just really slow with day-job work one month and decided to pump up the courage to just put on my whites and go in and be like 'hey i'll work for free just teach me'. I learned a pretty huge amount, hung out with the sous who ended up catering our wedding, and scored industry discounts on my h&f bills (STILL TOO EXPENSIVE >:{ ).

quote:

What about '1 Kept' in Buckhead? Anyone been yet? The place, ambiance, and food look promising.

I'm convinced anything that is in that space is destined to failure. Toulouse was a well known perma-clinging-on-for-dear-life type of place, and the thing that was in there last, tsunami taqueria, was a huge laugh.

1kept at least seems to have good reviews, and the food doesn't look bad - but I'm pretty wary...

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, we never did go to H&F or Stag, mostly because she is hugely pregnant and is being a bit wishy washy(She changed the restaurant about 3-4 times before we found one). She suddenly wanted Penang on Buford Highway. It was ok, it's the same old place that it's always been. Food is cheap and they bring a lot of it, which is good.

The one good thing is that afterwards, we went to the new Korean cafe and bakery Paris Baguette. A really great place and very sleek and professional looking, and the first Asian bakery in Georgia to really remind me of the department store bakeries in Japan(Sweet Hut is pretty close too). They make their own baumkuchen, all nicely packaged like a gift. And their coffee was really great. I had to laugh at their workers though wearing black and white striped long sleeve shirts with black berets. I was hoping they would use some fake French accents, but no luck there.

kontona
May 3, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

The one good thing is that afterwards, we went to the new Korean cafe and bakery Paris Baguette. A really great place and very sleek and professional looking, and the first Asian bakery in Georgia to really remind me of the department store bakeries in Japan(Sweet Hut is pretty close too). They make their own baumkuchen, all nicely packaged like a gift. And their coffee was really great. I had to laugh at their workers though wearing black and white striped long sleeve shirts with black berets. I was hoping they would use some fake French accents, but no luck there.

i stopped by there this weekend too and i really liked it.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

AgentHaiTo posted:

The one good thing is that afterwards, we went to the new Korean cafe and bakery Paris Baguette. A really great place and very sleek and professional looking, and the first Asian bakery in Georgia to really remind me of the department store bakeries in Japan(Sweet Hut is pretty close too).

Paris Baguette is great and has replaced Sweet Hut for me. It seems to be slightly more expensive on average, but the quality is better. My only gripe is I've gone in multiple times and frequently there are no labels on the baked goods so I end up taking educated guesses on what the hell I'm eating.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

roobots posted:

We went to Empire State South for their Valentine prix fixe menu and it was definitely a treat exploring new small plates of flavor together but a little salty at a couple hundo with cocktails. All pretty interesting (duck confit was like slices of filet mignon, scallops were impossibly sublime) but honestly, I loved Steady Hand Pour House (RIP) so much that I was happy to see the crew again in the corner at ESS and had to order coffee. Coffee for me was better than nearly all the dishes because I loving love coffee. Back on topic: why not stay in Decatur at 246? If you wanted it to be super duper special you could reserve the chef's counter. Otherwise just go and have a good meal. You could also go a door or two down and less busy still a bit cozy and elegant at Café Alsace.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Feb. 19th - Oh snap, my friend at Chai Pani just got nominated for a James Beard Award (best Southeast Chef) !!

http://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/2014-restaurant-and-chef-award-semifinalists

He was floored with the news, totally came as a surprise. It's not even fine dining. It's like anti-Ford Fry food. He works both the Asheville, NC and Decatur locations, with NC being the HQ.

So did Todd Ginsberg at The General Muir, which is also well deserved! drat, us goons know how to pick the best dinner places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The General Muir, Gunshow, and King + Duke made GQ's list of the 25 best new restaurants:
http://www.gq.com/life/eat-and-drink/201403/best-new-restaurants-alan-richman