Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hiking off trail is a real pain in the rear end and dangerous to boot in mountainous areas. Why would you want to do it? Trying to find a place to jerk off outside?

Seriously? I've gone off trail in mountainous areas many times. As long as you've got some basic navigation skills there's really nothing to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

BeefofAges posted:

Seriously? I've gone off trail in mountainous areas many times. As long as you've got some basic navigation skills there's really nothing to it.

If you're not careful and don't know the area, you risk winding up somewhere you can't continue and can't retreat, such as a ledge.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I've done the apostles in the summer and it was gorgeous, but this looks amazing:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/05/272126457/almost-otherwordly-the-sea-caves-of-lake-superior-on-ice

My only worry is my first free weekend is in early March but the ice should be solid, I think??

The entirety of Lake Superior froze this year, and hard. It's been like 75 days since it got above freezing. If there was ever a year where you had good ice in March it'd be this year. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you still had ice at the end of April.

And post some pictures of it! I've never seen it this time of year. It'd look similar to Pictured Rocks in the winter I'd imagine.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Saint Fu posted:

I think I'm going to rent a Bearikade Expedition and try to hike from MTR to Whitney and then to the Crescent Meadow trailhead in Sequoia NP (my planned exit point), about 150 miles total in 10 days.

Well cool I just noticed that you can get 45% off the rental price of Bearikade's if you're doing a through hike of a major trail (JMT, AT, etc). Looks like I know what I'll be doing as soon as I get my dates finalized...saving 9-10 ounces over a bear vault is pretty handy, just need to have a place they can ship the rental to so I can pick it up

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Business of Ferrets posted:

If you're not careful and don't know the area, you risk winding up somewhere you can't continue and can't retreat, such as a ledge.
Or you could just be careful, know what you're doing, and not wind up somewhere you can't continue and can't retreat.

Never going off-trail seems boring as hell, with the exception of environmentally sensitive areas, of course.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

stealie72 posted:

Never going off-trail seems boring as hell, with the exception of environmentally sensitive areas, of course.

So true. I live in NH and have done plenty of trails in the state. Whenever I leave the trail it's to follow along the stone walls that cross all over this area.
It's always fun to come across old decaying homes from the early 1900's
and long forgotten cemeteries.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I've lived outside of NH for about 2 of my 31 years, and when I do, old stone walls and cellar holes are some of the things I miss most.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Here's what happens: if your first choice is filled up: they try to give you your second choice permit (technically, an early application date if your second choice is after your first choice). If for some reason that is full already, they try your third choice. If your third choice is *also* already full, they call you to talk about your options. (I have had this happen, and it all worked out in the end).

Since you said (in a more recent post) you are aiming for Aug 12 as hike-in date, this is what you do:
After 5pm PST on Feb 24, FAX your form in. This means you will be among the first to apply ON Feb 25 (for an Aug 12 start date). I believe they randomize the ones get during the night, but those are the applications who are almost guaranteed to get their first choice. It is Not Hard to get your first choice if you do it this way.

IF you select Aug 13, 14, or 15 as your second/third options, and they can't give you your first choice, your application is treated with priority. Meaning, they do NOT set your application aside until the application date for your second choice comes around. They file it the day you submit it, so you would be the first person to apply (and get) a permit for that other day.

Are you sure this is how it works? I faxed an application last night for an August 4 start date as my first choice, Aug 5 for my 2nd choice. I got the following rejection letter:

Yosemite Wilderness Permit Reservations posted:

Thank you for your reservation request. We are sorry to inform you that your wilderness permit reservation request has been rejected for all choices listed. Your requested trailhead is full or we do not have space for a group of your size. Even though the Full Trailhead Report may not list your requested trailhead and entry date as being full your request may be rejected due to insufficient space. For example, if you requested a reservation for two or more people and there is only space for one, you will be rejected. Furthermore, if any choices were more than 24 weeks (168 days) in advance, those choices were not considered and will not be saved for further consideration.
and a second email, presumably in response to my second choice:

Yosemite Wilderness Permit Reservations posted:

Thank you for your reservation request. We only accept reservations 24 weeks in advance of the date of entry. We are currently taking reservations for Monday, August 04, 2014 and any date prior. Tomorrow we will be taking reservations for Tuesday, August 05, 2014 and so on. To see a table listing the first day to make reservation for each day of the season please visit: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermitdates.htm

Your request will not be saved. Please reapply on the correct date.

I'm going to fax it again after 5:00 PST tonight anyway just to be on the safe side.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah if you read the instructions it says to not submit second choice dates that are normally not available yet. Maybe they changed that...but that's what it does say now

Saint Fu it sounds like you might have gotten screwed though by faxing last night instead of on Friday...there's some weird wording that I haven't quite figured out but it's something like you can fax at 5pm Friday for "weekend reservation dates", so I'm assuming what they're saying is that if you normally would have to fax in on a weekend, you can actually do it on the preceeding Friday because *reasons that are not given*

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah I think something weird is going on because when I click on the link to see which trailheads are completely booked, it only goes out to Aug 1 (corresponding to Feb 14 application date), which makes it seem like they had just processed Friday's applications. Or maybe the list of fully-booked trailheads isn't up to date. Or possibly the holiday today has something to do with it. Oh well, fortunately for me I have a little flexibility built in so I'm not sweating it too much.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Stalker posted:

Rogers is an easy hike but not a very scenic one. Grayson Highlands is pretty great overall though and I would recommend heading into Damascus for diner afterward if you have the time.

Yeah Rogers is mostly only cool for the evergreens and ferns, if you want to actually see stuff, just head over to Whitetop right next to it, since it's more of an Appalachian bald. The lack of light pollution coupled with the overall elevation (the overnight parking lot in Grayson Highlands State Park is like 4k feet) make it a pretty solid place for viewing the stars, too.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
From Vegas, Zion should be top of your list, but its also a two hour drive one way. If you can't make it that far, there's good hiking in the Valley of Fire State Park. Also, this is a cool and very quick one near Lake Mead:

http://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/LAME/LovellWash_Narrows/_Lov_Narrows.htm

edit: thread moves fast

Stalker
Feb 2, 2003

MojoAZ posted:

From Vegas, Zion should be top of your list, but its also a two hour drive one way. If you can't make it that far, there's good hiking in the Valley of Fire State Park. Also, this is a cool and very quick one near Lake Mead:

http://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/LAME/LovellWash_Narrows/_Lov_Narrows.htm

edit: thread moves fast

I am moving from East TN to Las Vegas next week and am so psyched to go to Zion. I've heard such great things about the Narrows it is on the top of my list to hike when I get there.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Saint Fu posted:

Are you sure this is how it works?

They either changed it or it was a special case thing. The more I think about it, the more I recall about the situation: I was asking for 2 spots but I only ended up getting 1 permit. It could be they only called because they wanted to know if I wanted the one spot, or if I just wanted to cancel my request. It happened last year and it's the only time I've not had a permit accepted, so I guess I assumed too much.

As to the trailhead schedule, I know other parks are good at updating theirs, but with how popular Yosemite is now, it would not surprise me in the slightest if it was very out of date.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Any good recommendations for Utah/Colorado canoe trips? My friends and I were talking about a multi day trip where we put in a the top of a river, canoe for a couple days, swap the canoe for some bikes we'll chain up, and ride or hike back up to the truck.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Got my permit confirmation, starting the JMT from Happy Isles on Aug 5. If any other goons plan on being on the trail around then, let me know and I'll keep an eye out for you.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Saint Fu posted:

Got my permit confirmation, starting the JMT from Happy Isles on Aug 5. If any other goons plan on being on the trail around then, let me know and I'll keep an eye out for you.

Nice! Was that your first choice this time? Crossing my fingers I don't have any problems...kinda stressing about it actually because I'm really sick of the weather here at the moment and am looking forward to doing fun stuff and since I've been planning JTM stuff that's kind of on my mind. If all goes according to plan I won't be leaving until a week after you though so unless you're really slow then odds are I won't see you on the trail (though I won't be taking out at Onion Valley to go into town for a resupply).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I faxed an app in early this morning with Aug 4 as my 1st choice, Aug 5 as my second, and Aug 5 out of Tuolumne as my 3rd. Yesterday was the first day to apply for Aug 4 so I assumed it would be full (since I submitted the exact same app Sunday night and got a rejection letter). Their website wasn't updated so I wasn't sure if there was something weird going on due to the holiday or what. I figured it couldn't hurt to try again for the 4th as my first choice but I'm happy with the 5th too. Gives me an extra day to navigate the public trans from OAK.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Anyone here have experience with Mt. Saint Helens in winter? It's been a bit dry around these parts so far with the exception of the last few days, but I'm trying to get it in before the permit season. I've got snowshoes, but so far at least on the eastern flanks of the Olympics they've been entirely unnecessary.

Also if anyone has ever been up El Dorado Peak in the North Cascades I'd appreciate advice on timing.

Oh yeah, and if any BC or Canadian goons have any advice on Garibaldi I'd appreciate that, too.

Mary Fucking Poppins
Aug 1, 2002

Saint Fu posted:

Just throwing this out there, I recently bought two lightweight down jackets from Uniqlo. I ordered a parka and a vest and they were delivered today. They are pretty warm despite being extremely light weight and very packable. I bought them to wear under a wind jacket or at night to add some warmth to my bag or to use as a pillow. They're on sale and pretty cheap for a nice down jacket you can toss in any pack for unplanned cold weather on a trip.
I'm curious - what is the coldest temperature you've worn the parka in and how warm did it keep you? I just bought one of these as well and I'm skeptical that it will be warm enough. Maybe I had too high of expectations, though - I was hoping to use this underneath a light rain jacket down to 25 or 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
Anyone know of some ponchos made to fit over your pack as well, that don't cost 70 bucks?

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Why not just get a jacket and a rain cover?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Products-572op003-Multipurpose-Poncho/dp/B004H2YQK2 ?

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

ahahaha

That looks absolutely ridiculous but I'm buying one.

On another equipment note, is there a portable battery operated/rechargeable inflator that lets me inflate/deflate one of those tiny sack pillows as well as vacuum plastic ziplock bags?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Mary loving Poppins posted:

I'm curious - what is the coldest temperature you've worn the parka in and how warm did it keep you? I just bought one of these as well and I'm skeptical that it will be warm enough. Maybe I had too high of expectations, though - I was hoping to use this underneath a light rain jacket down to 25 or 30 degrees Fahrenheit.
I haven't used it on the trail yet but I have been wearing it on my public transportation commute the last few weeks under a medium thickness softshell with a hat, mittens, and snow/wind pants. The high in Chicago has been between 10-25*F with some solid wind on top of that and I've been pretty warm. Definitely warmer than I was with the soft shell and a hoodie, but I don't think it would be warm enough with just the parka and a thin wind/rain jacket in the weather we've been having. Maybe 30*F would be fine if you're active and moving around.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013

I saw that one, but wasn't sure how good it actually was since even in the picture the dude's rear end is barely covered, and I think I wear my pack a bit higher than he is.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
So my water filter just isn't flowing at all. Something is wrong with it, compared to the other videos I've seen of it. I want to return it to REI but I bought it over a year ago. Will REI accept an exchange if I'm returning something defective for the same item? Their return policy is somewhat ambiguous on this matter.

Edit: I suppose the best answer is "call them" but as a goon, human interaction terrifies me. :ohdear:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Have you backflushed it at all in the year you've been using it?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

Speleothing posted:

Have you backflushed it at all in the year you've been using it?

Yes. Also, I have only tried using it once. It's been sitting in a box, forgotten, until a few weeks ago.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Oxford Comma posted:

Yes. Also, I have only tried using it once. It's been sitting in a box, forgotten, until a few weeks ago.

That's weird. What kind of filter is it?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've been in Phoenix for awhile and went up Camelback and it was a pretty good climb.

This is the way up, "trail" is in the middle:

There are a lot of sections where you are just climbing over big rocks. I thought it was fun. My ~50 year old aunt did not agree, but did get to the top.

Once you get to the top it is pretty scenic

Also I saw this lizard thing

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Verman posted:

That's weird. What kind of filter is it?

Sawyer Squeeze.

Mary Fucking Poppins
Aug 1, 2002

Saint Fu posted:

I haven't used it on the trail yet but I have been wearing it on my public transportation commute the last few weeks under a medium thickness softshell with a hat, mittens, and snow/wind pants. The high in Chicago has been between 10-25*F with some solid wind on top of that and I've been pretty warm. Definitely warmer than I was with the soft shell and a hoodie, but I don't think it would be warm enough with just the parka and a thin wind/rain jacket in the weather we've been having. Maybe 30*F would be fine if you're active and moving around.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll keep it still (mostly because I can't justify $150+ for something I'll use a couple times a year), but my expectations were elevated due to the reviews on Uniqlo's website. This one in particular:

Uniqlo posted:

This is a very nice parka. It is warm for the weight as other reviewers have mentioned. I went for a walk using only a long-sleeve shirt underneath and I felt very comfortable despite the fact that temperature was about 5 F (wind chill was -7 F). [...]
I'm guessing as long as I bring a sweatshirt to layer underneath, I should be prepared for the weather I typically encounter. My biggest problem is usually just when sleeping, but I probably need a new bag - I have a Marmot Aspen synthetic bag that is supposedly rated to 20F, but it's been rough even in mid-20's while wearing multiple layers.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

jamal posted:

Also I saw this lizard thing

I think that's a chuckwalla.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Oxford Comma posted:

So my water filter just isn't flowing at all. Something is wrong with it, compared to the other videos I've seen of it. I want to return it to REI but I bought it over a year ago. Will REI accept an exchange if I'm returning something defective for the same item? Their return policy is somewhat ambiguous on this matter.

Edit: I suppose the best answer is "call them" but as a goon, human interaction terrifies me. :ohdear:

Yes of course they will, their return policy change was just that they would not longer be taking returns for items that weren't wanted or not liked after the first year. They will accept defective merchandise returns at any time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Mary loving Poppins posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll keep it still (mostly because I can't justify $150+ for something I'll use a couple times a year), but my expectations were elevated due to the reviews on Uniqlo's website. This one in particular:

I'm guessing as long as I bring a sweatshirt to layer underneath, I should be prepared for the weather I typically encounter. My biggest problem is usually just when sleeping, but I probably need a new bag - I have a Marmot Aspen synthetic bag that is supposedly rated to 20F, but it's been rough even in mid-20's while wearing multiple layers.
I'd say its a little warmer than a cotton long sleeve t and a hoodie combined. I could see it being warm if you were active and moving around. I plan on taking it on the jmt to layer while sleeping if necessary. I like the hood with the loose elastic, I think it'll be great with a quilt.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Waterproof iPhone 5(s) case that I don't have to gently caress around with all sorts of stupid bullshit if I want to take a picture with it?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Something like this maybe?

http://store.griffintechnology.com/survivor-waterproof-case-for-iphone-5

It's a little expensive but seems to not obstruct any of the phones features.

Personally I use one of the clear phone sizes dry bags. Though I don't use my phone for anything but calls when I'm on the trail so I'm not sure if that would help.

-CHA fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 25, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I just used a plastic ziplock on my last trip and I was using my phone as a camera as well. I wasn't really in a situation where I was in danger of falling into water (most of the time) but I did get rained on pretty hard a time or two. That said, of course it's a bit fiddly to have to take it in and out of the bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

PRADA SLUT posted:

Waterproof iPhone 5(s) case that I don't have to gently caress around with all sorts of stupid bullshit if I want to take a picture with it?

Lifeproof?