Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmcsonoma
Jan 27, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Are those anime action figures on display in front of your tv? That's...a design choice, I guess. If it were me I'd hide those before I hid the cables.

Nah, they're vinyl superheroes and whatnot. I got my girlfriend a Wall-e and Eve for her birthday last year and they kept multiplying.

I wish I had a before picture of the orange shag carpet and brown wainscoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MMD3 posted:

ahhh, $135 isn't too bad at all... definitely more than a $30 mount but I understand that articulating mounts are going to cost considerably more than just a tilting wall mount.

It just seems that if you're purchasing a tv that is 3/4" thick now or whatever the current LED's are down to what's the point of a mount that holds it 4"+ from the wall?

Yeah, it's not as expensive as I thought it'd be. However, check the Amazon reviews because some of them said that it sagged with larger TVs. Not sure if those were just people that assembled it half assed or if it has a flaw.

Like I said, I've always found Omnimount to be good quality but who knows.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I have a tilting omnimount for my 65" viera plasma, works really well and great build quality. Was a bit more expensive, but I figured it was worth going with a well known manufacturer, since my TV was so drat heavy. very similiar to this, http://www.omnimount.com/products/tv_wall_mounts/tilt/oc175t/ though it was one of thte ULPC-X series which all seem to be articulating now. Got it a few years ago.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

gmcsonoma posted:

Nah, they're vinyl superheroes and whatnot. I got my girlfriend a Wall-e and Eve for her birthday last year and they kept multiplying.

I wish I had a before picture of the orange shag carpet and brown wainscoting.

Does your fire place work?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BrettRobb posted:

If it doesn't, I have the best idea for what to do with it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sweet jesus is that ugly. I'm assuming that isn't complete and they painted / tiled some of that?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have no idea, I just like the concept.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I have a simple set-up question and I figure this thread is as good as any, seeing how everybody here seems to know their poo poo. I have a PS3 and my PC hooked up to my monitor and as of right now, I have to unplug my speakers from my PC into my monitor when I want to have audio on the console and vice-versa for PC. Here's a sweet visual I made:

As you can see, my computer is hooked via DVI and my PS3 via HDMI, hence having to switch the speaker's aux cable around. As a cheap fix, I was thinking of getting a splitter for the speaker cable and hooking them each up to the monitor and the PC via male-to-male aux cables, like so:

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Would there be any quality degradation and if so, would I even notice? Also, what are some more elegant solutions I may have not thought of?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KingSlime posted:

I have a simple set-up question and I figure this thread is as good as any, seeing how everybody here seems to know their poo poo. I have a PS3 and my PC hooked up to my monitor and as of right now, I have to unplug my speakers from my PC into my monitor when I want to have audio on the console and vice-versa for PC. Here's a sweet visual I made:

As you can see, my computer is hooked via DVI and my PS3 via HDMI, hence having to switch the speaker's aux cable around. As a cheap fix, I was thinking of getting a splitter for the speaker cable and hooking them each up to the monitor and the PC via male-to-male aux cables, like so:

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Would there be any quality degradation and if so, would I even notice? Also, what are some more elegant solutions I may have not thought of?

A cheap RCA switch is exactly what you need.

Something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011007&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=2

(Just use the stereo RCAs and ignore the component and digital connectors)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

A cheap RCA switch is exactly what you need.

Something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011007&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=2

(Just use the stereo RCAs and ignore the component and digital connectors)

But then you'd have to switch 2 things over whenever you wanted to change. Does the monitor have more than one HDMI input?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

But then you'd have to switch 2 things over whenever you wanted to change. Does the monitor have more than one HDMI input?

That's a fair point, I thought it was a TV, not his main monitor.

If your PC has an HDMI or DisplayPort output and your monitor can handle an additional one of those, that would definitely be the way to go.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah, yeah my monitor can only do one HDMI input, which is why I'm using DVI for the PC.

gmcsonoma
Jan 27, 2004

BrettRobb posted:

Yeah, it's wood burning and heats the whole house up amazingly well. I don't want to use it until I can get the chimney swept, I don't know when it was last done and the house is fairly old.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Ah, yeah my monitor can only do one HDMI input, which is why I'm using DVI for the PC.

Use an HDMI switch. Monoprice has some good ones.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Silly me, another reason I use DVI is because my graphics card doesn't sport an HDMI port. With that said, will my messy fix (as illustrated by the expertly-crafted images above) work? I don't see why not but I'm not a pro when it comes to a/v hook-ups.

Basically as long switching between the two is a matter of changing the source on the monitor, it'd work for me. As of right now, having to get off the chair to un-plug and re-plug my speakers has been a surprisingly effective deterrent from playing PS3.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Silly me, another reason I use DVI is because my graphics card doesn't sport an HDMI port. With that said, will my messy fix (as illustrated by the expertly-crafted images above) work? I don't see why not but I'm not a pro when it comes to a/v hook-ups.

Basically as long switching between the two is a matter of changing the source on the monitor, it'd work for me. As of right now, having to get off the chair to un-plug and re-plug my speakers has been a surprisingly effective deterrent from playing PS3.

No, it won't work.

Get these:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=8124&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=8150&seq=1&format=2

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yep, that definitely looks like it'd do it. Ehh at $50 I might just deal with moving my lazy rear end off the chair, at least until my tax refund comes in.

Would you care to enlighten me as to why my "solution" wouldn't work? Not that I don't believe you but rather I'm genuinely curious about the "rules" of audio cables and why the idea isn't feasible. I'm probably missing something pretty obvious as the most intensive work I ever do with wiring and routing audio involves my Roland drum set, which is mostly self-explanatory.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Yep, that definitely looks like it'd do it. Ehh at $50 I might just deal with moving my lazy rear end off the chair, at least until my tax refund comes in.

Would you care to enlighten me as to why my "solution" wouldn't work? Not that I don't believe you but rather I'm genuinely curious about the "rules" of audio cables and why the idea isn't feasible. I'm probably missing something pretty obvious as the most intensive work I ever do with wiring and routing audio involves my Roland drum set, which is mostly self-explanatory.

Because you can't use a Y connector to connect two sources together. Best case, you get interference; worse case, you damage your equipment.

You'd need one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221261023292?lpid=82

However, you'd need to switch both your monitor and audio switch, which can be kind of a pain (although less of a pain than physically moving the cables).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah, that makes sense, thanks! Well, a more exciting option is to upgrade this monitor to a larger TV with more inputs, and getting a DVI to HDMI adpater for the PC. With tax refund season here, I might just make that jump instead.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
What audio inputs do your speakers have and what audio outputs does your computer have? If you have an audio out on your monitor (very likely if it's a TV) it'll be pretty easy.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
As I'm on a monitor, it only has one audio output and the speakers have the one input. Likewise, the computer has one audio output so the speakers are either connected to that port or the one on the monitor (when playing PS3).

On that note...DVI wouldn't carry sound would it, even with the HDMI adapter? That sort of messes with my plan. Do msot TV's have an audio input these days which I can connect to my computer's audio jack and route sound that way instead?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KingSlime posted:

As I'm on a monitor, it only has one audio output and the speakers have the one input. Likewise, the computer has one audio output so the speakers are either connected to that port or the one on the monitor (when playing PS3).

On that note...DVI wouldn't carry sound would it, even with the HDMI adapter? That sort of messes with my plan. Do msot TV's have an audio input these days which I can connect to my computer's audio jack and route sound that way instead?

You'd need to get the DVI to HDMI+audio converter I posted. Or a video card with HDMI out, I suppose.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
What do you guys recommend for surge protectors? Considering the wall that the tv and av cabinet will be against is unframed/drywalled at the moment I was wondering if I shouldn't be looking into some kind of in-wall surge protector or just find a decent sized unit to go in the a/v cabinet?

I'm also starting to look into Salamander A/V cabinets and looking to see what other brands out there make cabinets with good cable management and adjustable shelving.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

MMD3 posted:

I'm also starting to look into Salamander A/V cabinets and looking to see what other brands out there make cabinets with good cable management and adjustable shelving.

I started off looking at the Salamander stuff, but ultimately went with Standout Designs and couldn't be happier, highly recommended.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I need your help AV goon-nerds.

I am moving into a brand new condo next weekend, and of course wanted to go the wall-mount option for my tv.

The landlord has said he doesn't want any holes in the walls, so I was looking at stand options.

Then I came across this: http://www.erard.com/en/tv-mounts/wall-mount-tv/do-it-do-it/258-standit-400.html

Problem being it appears to be only available for sale in France and a few other eurotrash places, I checked 5-10 different websites and NO one will ship to Canada, not to mention I think the product line might be discontinued now.

Besides the obvious question of why this drat thing can't be shipped across the pond, anyone know of similar mounting options?

Or am I stuck using a tv stand, which will end up taking over precious space in my shoe-box

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Sappo569 posted:

I need your help AV goon-nerds.

I am moving into a brand new condo next weekend, and of course wanted to go the wall-mount option for my tv.

The landlord has said he doesn't want any holes in the walls, so I was looking at stand options.

Then I came across this: http://www.erard.com/en/tv-mounts/wall-mount-tv/do-it-do-it/258-standit-400.html

Problem being it appears to be only available for sale in France and a few other eurotrash places, I checked 5-10 different websites and NO one will ship to Canada, not to mention I think the product line might be discontinued now.

Besides the obvious question of why this drat thing can't be shipped across the pond, anyone know of similar mounting options?

Or am I stuck using a tv stand, which will end up taking over precious space in my shoe-box

Salamander has something similar:

Furniture Mate

They also have some table top and a multitude of other setups. Do any of them fit your needs?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally updated my tv stand

Still working on that laminate.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

jink posted:

Salamander has something similar:

Furniture Mate

They also have some table top and a multitude of other setups. Do any of them fit your needs?

It does, but agggh $600 :stonk:

That's a bit out of my price range, I might as well just mount it on some cinder blocks

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The thing with both of those is you're paying for something that almost offers none of the benefits of wall mounting. A regular media console and a TV on its stand look way better and natural than one of those.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
On the topic of surge protectors, are surge protectors enough to protect my equipment or do I need to step up to power conditioner or ups? I have had my setup on a basic surge protectors for a few years now and I'm wondering if the random power outages over the last few years are somehow damaging my equipment. Does the surge protector by itself do an adequate job of protecting gear?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bonobos posted:

I'm wondering if the random power outages over the last few years are somehow damaging my equipment.

You're still wondering, you say... I guess that's a clue - nothing has apparently happened. Why fix a problem that doesn't exist?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Glad to hear, I probably need to stop reading AV forums online. I always thought a surge protector was sufficient but a lot of those guys on the forums run UPSs and power conditioners and their posts are like you'd be crazy to run off only a basic surge protector.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I still haven't seen any recommendations for an a/v surge protector? doesn't have to be fancy but ideally something that gets the job done and looks like it belongs in an a/v cabinet.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I've used Belkin's PureAV stuff before in builds where "looks impressive" was a priority. No complaints, though really unnecessary. Pro tip: A TV's usb port makes for a great DC trigger.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ThinkFear posted:

Pro tip: A TV's usb port makes for a great DC trigger.

Please explain? I'm a power noob... actually just reminded me I've been meaning to ask if there's an explanation for why my receiver (pioneer vsx-1020-k) will randomly restart sometimes. Whenever it does I'll go put my hand on top of it to see if it's overheating but it never seems to be too hot.

Is this a place where a decent surge protector should help me out?

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

There's the possibility that power sags are causing the receiver to restart. Though, you would also notice dimming lights and other weird things if this were the case. A surge protector wouldn't help with that, but a line conditioner would. I'd lean towards there being a problem with the receiver itself, personally. Try moving the receiver to another circuit in your house as well. It could be sharing a circuit with a high draw appliance or have a loose connection in the circuit that causes the issue.

DC triggers are just a way of using one component in a HT setup to switch on/off another. HT Line conditioners and surge protectors often have outlets switched by DC triggers that are great for controlling components that don't have a remote like amplifiers or accent lighting.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ThinkFear posted:

There's the possibility that power sags are causing the receiver to restart. Though, you would also notice dimming lights and other weird things if this were the case. A surge protector wouldn't help with that, but a line conditioner would. I'd lean towards there being a problem with the receiver itself, personally. Try moving the receiver to another circuit in your house as well. It could be sharing a circuit with a high draw appliance or have a loose connection in the circuit that causes the issue.

DC triggers are just a way of using one component in a HT setup to switch on/off another. HT Line conditioners and surge protectors often have outlets switched by DC triggers that are great for controlling components that don't have a remote like amplifiers or accent lighting.

whenever I start my dryer the lights in the laundry-room dim... would that be an indicator? we're moving into our new home w/ new electrical in a few months so if it doesn't resolve itself on it's own then I'll revisit it I suppose. just annoying when we're mid-movie and the receiver restarts. The home we're renting now was a flipped remodel so it wouldn't surprise me if the electrical isn't as good as it should be.

ahh, good to know about dc triggers. don't think I'll have to use one of those, I don't have any components that wouldn't be controlled by a harmony remote really... accent lighting will likely be philips hue and it'll be controlled via it's proprietary wireless hub.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I have a 65" Vizio and am looking for some ambient lighting to put behind the TV. I believe I've seen some setups with the back lighting behind the TV. What does everyone recommend? Do you recommend lighting on all four sides or just top/bottom, etc.?

Any experience with Lightpack? http://store.lightpack.tv/products/lightpack

What would be the cheapest route? http://www.ebay.com/itm/31087882887...em=310878828877

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

AzCoug posted:

I have a 65" Vizio and am looking for some ambient lighting to put behind the TV. I believe I've seen some setups with the back lighting behind the TV. What does everyone recommend? Do you recommend lighting on all four sides or just top/bottom, etc.?

Any experience with Lightpack? http://store.lightpack.tv/products/lightpack

What would be the cheapest route? http://www.ebay.com/itm/31087882887...em=310878828877

Ikea has little strips of LEDs with sticky tape for like 5 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigFactory posted:

Ikea has little strips of LEDs with sticky tape for like 5 bucks.

I have those, they're great, although two sets may be needed for a 65". The power supply can easily handle 8 or more strips instead of the standard 4, if you use the connector pieces.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418/