Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing Fallon did regarding that debacle was on the night of Conan's last show Jimmy and The Roots all went over to Conan's old Late Night studio and sang an Acapella version of "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye" at the end of his show. He did make a few jokes during it though. I remember he said that if he learned anything from Dave and Conan it was that hosting Late Night was the only guaranteed way of never getting The Tonight Show. Guess that turned out wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Conan "got" the tonight show too, though. There's no way the same thing happens of course but it is crazy to think of Jimmy Fallon hosting the show. It's lost some prestige since Johnny though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

beejay posted:

Conan "got" the tonight show too, though. There's no way the same thing happens of course but it is crazy to think of Jimmy Fallon hosting the show. It's lost some prestige since Johnny though.

No doubt they'll lose viewership from the septuagenarians who thought Leno was "good" for whatever reason, but hopefully NBC won't be stupid enough to make their programming decisions on the strength of a demographic that's knocking on death's door again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tonight's Fallon's first Tonight Show. Guests include Will Smith and U2. Who's gonna be watching? I will for at least his first few shows to see how he does. Maybe he'll be nervous at first but ease into it or maybe he'll take off running from the start and keep it up. Guess we'll see tonight.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Calling it now he'll be the same as always and consistent throughout his entire run on the show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

comes along bort posted:

Calling it now he'll be the same as always and consistent throughout his entire run on the show.

So all three months?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

bobkatt013 posted:

So all three months?

Surely Fallon can live up to the standard set by Leno for the past 20 years.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Honestly if you'd have told me the guy who always broke on SNL skits (especially if he was paired with Horatio Sanz) would one day land one of the most prestigious jobs on television, I'd have said you were nuts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

comes along bort posted:

Surely Fallon can live up to the standard set by Leno for the past 20 years.

Or Leno gets bored of retirement

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Retail Slave posted:

Honestly if you'd have told me the guy who always broke on SNL skits (especially if he was paired with Horatio Sanz) would one day land one of the most prestigious jobs on television, I'd have said you were nuts.

Not only that he'd get it, but do really well at it (which, regardless of how you feel about him, he probably will). I always liked Fallon (even on SNL), but I certainly know that's not a common opinion

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

myron cope posted:

Not only that he'd get it, but do really well at it (which, regardless of how you feel about him, he probably will). I always liked Fallon (even on SNL), but I certainly know that's not a common opinion

Honestly I didn't care for him that much on SNL and I've seen almost zero of him since, so my impressions of him are still cracking up and ruining every skit he was in.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I set the DVR to catch tonight's premiere. Unless there's a guest I just have to see in upcoming weeks/years, it'll probably be the last time.

Same will go for for Late Night when Seth makes his debut.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

Same will go for for Late Night when Seth makes his debut.

I don't have high hopes for Seth and I imagine NBC feels the same way. Seth is older than Fallon, comes from literally the same background and is ugly as poo poo, so his hire clearly isn't a succession plan. Meyers is there to fill a spot and I'm wondering what, if any, value he brings to late night. All things considered, it wouldn't a surprise to see Seth replaced either in the next year or the second his contract expires.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Retail Slave posted:

Is it really that prestigious anymore? I mean, I'm not saying that the Tonight Show doesn't still get a lot of viewers or that it's not something that you would work your entire career to get, but the way NBC has been going for the last several years makes me feel like the network has lost a lot of its prestige in general.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

raditts posted:

Is it really that prestigious anymore? I mean, I'm not saying that the Tonight Show doesn't still get a lot of viewers or that it's not something that you would work your entire career to get, but the way NBC has been going for the last several years makes me feel like the network has lost a lot of its prestige in general.

Yeah, it's pretty much been that way since Friends went off the air.

But still... if a celeb has something to promote, late night TV is still the way to go. Every time there's a big blockbuster movie you know drat well the stars will be making the rounds, and IMO the Tonight Show is still the king. SNL is #1 if you're going overall, but I'm talking in terms of 5 nights a week.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'd watch Late Night again if they were able to get the rights to the Weinberg 7 theme again. That theme has been retired for too long.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

raditts posted:

30 Rock showed NBC current strategy

willjbish
Nov 8, 2011
why premiere fallon when they can't even keep the 11:30 time slot? just seems weird.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

willjbish posted:

why premiere fallon when they can't even keep the 11:30 time slot? just seems weird.

I'd say premiering after the Olympics is like the late night version of getting The Voice as a lead-in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

I'd say premiering after the Olympics is like the late night version of getting The Voice as a lead-in.

Or in Late Night terms its like having The Jay Leno Show as the lead in.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

willjbish posted:

As Conan once said, it's not the Today Show, it's the Tomorrow Show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Or in Late Night terms its like having The Jay Leno Show as the lead in.

No, that's pretty much the opposite of what it is. Get it right.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"For now..." :supaburn:

I loved Jimmy's old theme but I dig what they did with the new one.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Mama and Daddy Fallon :3:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is Jimmy Fallon the luckiest man in the world? He might be drat close.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hahaha this off to a great start. Good jay Leno jokes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

His intro looks so much like SNL's. And this new stage looks so...classic!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Gotta be careful with the wide shots of Fallon and the announcer. In 4:3 it's just a blank shot of the set.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I did not know Steve Higgins was from Iowa.

Go Iowa!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Nnnnnnot sure that the audience needed monologues explained to them, Jimmy.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I'm trying to imagine being someone who watched Leno every night forever and has no access to who Jimmy Fallon is or what he's like and this is their introduction to him.

CapnAndy posted:

Those are the people he was talking to, not 'his' audience.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

The audience for the tonight show has been Leno for so long they need to know he's gonna actually say jokes. And you, not be Leno.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Leno's audience are the last people who need "I'm going to come out every night and make jokes about things that happened today" explained to them!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

Leno's audience are the last people who need "I'm going to come out every night and make jokes about things that happened today" explained to them!

On the other hand, when's the last time someone has actually said something funny while they were awake and watching the Tonight Show?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

CapnAndy posted:

Yes, but they're going to be confused why the man onstage is making jokes without saying "Did you see this?" first.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Now I remember why I don't watch late night talk shows. Good lord this is loving awful. The Roots you're still so much better than the rest of whatever the gently caress this is.

willjbish
Nov 8, 2011
This is making my 70 year old mother laugh. NBC success?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Ok I laughed at "Lesbian Screech".

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I laughed at most of those!

Remember when Fallon's first Late Night bit was "Lick it for Ten?" We're in new territory here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jesus Christ, did he seriously get Spike Lee for his opening?