Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Fallon has really come a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does Norm really show up that often? I mean, I know Norm on Conan is gold, but is he like a regular thing? (I genuinely have no idea)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at the guest list for this week, I think they're really trying to both make Jimmy as comfortable as possible and show people exactly what a Fallon hosted show is. The first two nights are people who are either really hard to not like (Will Smith) or people who the Leno crowd will know and like (Seinfeld), and then you've got a couple SNL guests, The First Lady, and ending it with the quintessential Fallon Guest, Mr. Justin Timberlake.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Yoshifan823 posted:

Does Norm really show up that often? I mean, I know Norm on Conan is gold, but is he like a regular thing? (I genuinely have no idea)

I'm not sure about recently, but it was on Late Night. The main reason Norm is on the infamous Gordon Ramsay episode from the last week of Late Night was that he was one of the show's most venerable guests. Norm and Conan know how to work off each other really well.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Yoshifan823 posted:

He hasn't been on in a while, but he doesn't do much nowadays. Sadly, his podcast seemingly went under after he lost the beloved Mangrate sponsorship (which was hilarious).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Norm isn't even on Conan that much anymore, but whenever he is it's solid gold. Other notable frequent guests include Charlene Yi, Tig Notaro and Harrison Ford.

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
Louis C.K. aswell

Smashlampjaw fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 18, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Norm isn't even on Conan that much anymore, but whenever he is it's solid gold. Other notable frequent guests include Charlene Yi, Tig Notaro and Harrison Ford.

Harrison Ford on Conan is always amazing. But Harrison Ford on anyone's talk show is usually amazing. One time on Fallon he pierced Fallon's ear.

Paul Rudd is always a great guest and has a great recurring gag that never gets old. Tom Hanks and Conan are always great together as well. Will Ferrel too.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And just in case we've forgotten who the real king of late night is, Craig Ferguson just got Gary Oldman to dance with a fake horse.

edit: Seriously what does Craig do to charm literally every woman in Hollywood between the ages of 18 and 90-whatever Betty White is? I think it's the accent.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 18, 2014

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Deadpool posted:

Harrison Ford on Conan is always amazing. But Harrison Ford on anyone's talk show is usually amazing. One time on Fallon he pierced Fallon's ear.

Paul Rudd is always a great guest and has a great recurring gag that never gets old. Tom Hanks and Conan are always great together as well. Will Ferrel too.

Don't forget Tom Selleck. The show goes off the rails every single time he's there, no matter who the other guests are. And it's wonderful.

e: all white men look alike but Burt Reynolds is not Tom Selleck

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 18, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Deadpool posted:

Yeah that's true. Now I forget who it was, but some actress was recently on Conan promoting her movie and showed the clip Paul Rudd always shows. It got a good laugh out of me.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Y'know, if Ellie Kemper weren't in Hollywood, she's be the woman arranging literally every high school reunion.

All of them.

edit: She is so midwestern.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 18, 2014

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
The rare Ferguson musical act.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

And just in case we've forgotten who the real king of late night is, Craig Ferguson just got Gary Oldman to dance with a fake horse.
It's not fake, it's panto :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually watched Fallon out of curiosity and he did a great job, good for him. He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

Craig has Kristen Bell

Well, he used to, anyway. :( Anyone know why she stopped two years ago?

Ralphis
Aug 2, 2011
Isn't Tom Hanks one of Conan's signature guests?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

MikeJF posted:

Well, he used to, anyway. :( Anyone know why she stopped two years ago?

She was on within the last year or so before LLS got crowded out on my DVR.

Ralphis posted:

Isn't Tom Hanks one of Conan's signature guests?

He named Team Coco and every time he's on it's incredible, so yes?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

She was on within the last year or so before LLS got crowded out on my DVR.

Last time she was on was August 2012. Before that was all the time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I recorded Tonight and, thank you local NBC affiliate, the intro was cut off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MikeJF posted:

She does have a TV show now. Depending on location it can be difficult to get to some of the late night shows.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I recorded Tonight and, thank you local NBC affiliate, the intro was cut off.

Which affiliate? That seems like something national would get ripshit pissed over.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Yoshifan823 posted:

edit: Seriously what does Craig do to charm literally every woman in Hollywood between the ages of 18 and 90-whatever Betty White is? I think it's the accent.

Watching Craig interact with women is just...idunno, mesmerizing. It's not (only) the accent there is just something about him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Funny enough, one of the things that Conan did that ticked NBC off was having Norm as his lead guest within the first few weeks of the Tonight Show. The thinking was "why are you having Norm, who isn't even promoting anything, when you're trying to broaden your appeal to the septuagenarians who are used to Leno?".

And while Conan will always be my favorite, Jimmy's show was very good last night. As much as I love Conan, I think Jimmy might be a better fit for 11:30 on networks than Conan was.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

[Hanks] named Team Coco...

Technically not true. "Coco" first came from the Twitter Tracker bit that Conan did on his Tonight Show. I can't remember if it was Robert Smigel that provided the roided-out voice for it, but during the inaugural bit, he said "[SOMETHING] A NO-NO FOR COCO?" and the crowd lost it.

But yes, Tom Hanks was the first guest after that, and if he hadn't run with the Coco schtick as throughly as he did, I don't think it would have stuck. So really I'm just picking nits.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Twitter Tracker voiceover guy was Brian McCann.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Kristen is scheduled to be on again on March 13th (according to the Late Showticket page), provided the episode airs that night.

Chand0X fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 18, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Kristen Bell had a baby last March so that might explain her long absence.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Deadpool posted:

Pretty much all late night show sets are tiny. Conan's old Late Night set was ridiculously small. His new set is probably the largest of anyone's now though.

Conan's Tonight Show was huge.
The Conan set seems half that size. What I like about it is that it is like an amphitheater.
Kimmel is about 3/4's as big as Conan's Tonight Show.
Craig's old set was a closet. The new set is still smaller than Conan.
Ellen's set felt the same size as Conan's Tonight Show, maybe bigger.
Never visited Jay.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

Craig's interviews with women could double as a video guide to teach guys on how to talk to women.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

Nah. He has his moments (for example: Any time Matt Damon shows up). Also, that Guardians trailer is gonna rock.

That reminds me, who are Conan's signature guests? Like, the people who, when they show up, you know you're getting a good show? Fallon has Timberlake, Kimmel has Matt Damon, Craig has Kristen Bell, but who does Conan have? And for that matter, what about Letterman?

Letterman has Bill Murray. And to a lesser extent, Regis and Howard Stern. Maybe Bill Cosby or Amy Sedaris as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Drew Barrymore.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

And Bruce Willis always does crazy things with Dave. Steve Martin often does too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chand0X posted:

Craig's interviews with women could double as a video guide to teach guys on how to talk to women.

I feel that he mellowed out a little these days, I feel. Now he's merely good-naturedly charming instead of being the incorrigible Scottish Flirt Machine that he was before his second kid was born.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chand0X posted:

Step 1: be Scottish.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Yoshifan823 posted:

Seriously what does Craig do to charm literally every woman in Hollywood between the ages of 18 and 90-whatever Betty White is? I think it's the accent.
Craig's signature air of "I really could not give less of a poo poo about professionalism" is probably a great way to get people to open up and relax, especially if they've been trudging through a week of stuffy press junkets and bland morning-show interviews to promote whatever they're promoting.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Teddybear posted:

Which affiliate? That seems like something national would get ripshit pissed over.

WSAV - Savannah. They've been known to cut off the first few seconds of SNL to squeeze in just one more loving commercial.

I caught Fallon about a minute after he walked through the curtain.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Step 1: be Scottish.

Step 2: Have them be contractually obligated to be there.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Steve Vader posted:

And Bruce Willis always does crazy things with Dave. Steve Martin often does too.

Tom Hanks is always willing to act like an idiot for Dave. Tom Selleck did on Late Night, too.

Who else enjoyed Gary Oldman dancing with Craig and Secretariat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Aphrodite posted:

Step 2: Have them be contractually obligated to be there.

If you're a publicist promoting a movie you probably aren't gonna work too hard to get someone on Ferguson, cause there's a decent chance it won't even come up in the discussion. I don't know which I like better, the times when the guest actually has to remind him to ask about whatever it is they're promoting, or the times when he eventually remembers but burns it off in like five seconds so they can immediately go back to what they were actually talking about.