Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tired of the ad for ProtectYourManHood.com which has a washed up football player talking about how the product protects you from "accidental leakages" and poo poo...which means it really a commercial for adult diapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Pepsi is constantly putting out commercials that were more about the celebrity in them than about the drink. I get it, you can't really do too much more with 'drink carbonated sweetened water' in a commercial. But they're not 'good' commercials. They're too overdone, overproduced and star-studded.

Looking for something else, I found an old Britney/Pink/Beyonce Pepsi commercial. I only got 45 seconds into it and had to pause it. I couldn't take it all in at once. I had to brace myself because even at 45 seconds, I knew it was going to get worse. I actually never recall seeing the commercial before and was just hoping maybe they wouldn't sing the song...

Then I got to 1:23 and paused it again and sighed. This was one of the worst Queen covers ever.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNHXESQF2Fk

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The McDonalds commercial that shows at least once per break during Olympics coverage where they have an athlete biting a medal next to some hip twentysomething biting a loving McNugget makes me irrationally angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4_Va1pd-Xs

Even if I'm not looking at the TV, I just hear the music from the commercial and I just start getting pissed off.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Young Freud posted:

I'm pretty sure that's like basic marketing rule right there, "never give your competition free advertising", yet anyone who has been taught that isn't in any position currently to direct major promotion campaigns.

I think it's an ad campaign for Progressive Insurance right now that's riffing on "save 15% in 15 minutes" by talking about saving in 7 1/2 minutes... but they're pretty much reciting Geico's ad script and wanting people to remember that wait, no, that was one for Progressive. The first one I saw I thought "They're pulling a Pepsi!" and it's not going to work.

I guess they'll have to rely on their other 10,000 commercials.

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SwD7RveNE

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Well that sure is something. Here is a better Barbasol commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80v5Wueed10

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I know that J.K.Simmons hasn't been the voice of the Yellow M&M for a while now (I guess he's too busy with Farmer's Insurance,) but holy loving Hell, literally anyone else on Earth is better than whoever the new guy is who is in that dumb "Russian Mobster" commercial.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

I know that J.K.Simmons hasn't been the voice of the Yellow M&M for a while now (I guess he's too busy with Farmer's Insurance,) but holy loving Hell, literally anyone else on Earth is better than whoever the new guy is who is in that dumb "Russian Mobster" commercial.

Seriously, whoever is trying to do a J.K. Simmons impression there is goddamned terrible.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The old Jewish couple in the new series of swiffer commercials were kind of charming the first 100 times I saw them. Now I just want them to die.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vakal posted:

The old Jewish couple in the new series of swiffer commercials were kind of charming the first 100 times I saw them. Now I just want them to die.

Speaking of charming ads that I am starting to get tired of, the car commercial with the Muppet was pretty good the first few times, but now I am just tired of hearing their song.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

There's a new NTHSA car safety commercial with clips from the Wizard of Oz of all things spliced through it.

It's more :psyduck:-inducing than anything else.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Rirse posted:

Speaking of charming ads that I am starting to get tired of, the car commercial with the Muppet was pretty good the first few times, but now I am just tired of hearing their song.

I think Hulu is the worst for repeating ads. You see the same ad in like every commercial break! It really wears you down. There's this one ad about some guy at like a pasta-making seminar trying to sell Cricket wireless and not only is it insufferable on its own, but after seeing it for what feels like hundreds of times it's just maddening to see it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Speaking of Hulu, I have come to loving hate the Geico art gallery ads because more often than not, the show fails to load after them, forcing me to reload and watch them again... and again... and again...

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
How often do people purchase/switch insurance? It seems to be a disproportionately large advertising purchaser.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ElwoodCuse posted:

How often do people purchase/switch insurance? It seems to be a disproportionately large advertising purchaser.

I think the main issue with it is that it's not advertising to us "upstanding" citizens who drive a functional vehicle and rarely have any run ins with Johnny Law and/or collisions.

There are tons of people out there who are uninsured, or swap out their hoopties every 6 months when they stop running. I also can't speak for any other state, but when I lived in Kansas there were a lot of people who didn't carry insurance because supposedly the ticket for that was more expensive so somehow it would get them out of speeding tickets.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Most insurance companies usually have 6 month policies that (IIRC) you can cancel at any time.

It is really easy to switch insurance, and it is really easy to compare prices.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ElwoodCuse posted:

A major reason behind the large ad push is that insurance is more or less identical across providers so they have to get their name stuck in your mind somehow.

Plus they have tons of money and what amounts to a pretty boring product.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Geico commercials advertising their phone app seem to be pointing out how pointless their app actually is. Latest one is the dumbass pig sitting at the pool telling his phone to pay his insurance bill, which has already been paid, so that was pointless. I interact with my insurance company roughly twice a year when I pay my bill. I don't need an app to do that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Meltathon posted:

The Geico commercials advertising their phone app seem to be pointing out how pointless their app actually is. Latest one is the dumbass pig sitting at the pool telling his phone to pay his insurance bill, which has already been paid, so that was pointless. I interact with my insurance company roughly twice a year when I pay my bill. I don't need an app to do that.

boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and :suicide:

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

DJExile posted:

boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and :suicide:

The lights the lights the lights that light the lights the lights the lig:suicide:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Meltathon posted:

The app is useful for a lot of stuff, none of which is 'pay your bill.'

There's an add in the app to get a free quote and the dumb camel is there. It of course proclaims I could save 15%. However, I already have GEICO...so...who you advertising to here?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Yeah Apple, your commercial with random people doing stuff no one would carry an ipad to dubbed over with lovely poetry that plays in EVERY COMMERCIAL BREAK ON EVERY CHANNEL EVER has definitely convinced me that I need that thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah Apple, your commercial with random people doing stuff no one would carry an ipad to dubbed over with lovely poetry that plays in EVERY COMMERCIAL BREAK ON EVERY CHANNEL EVER has definitely convinced me that I need that thing.

Uh you just insulted Dead Poets Society so gently caress you.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Any commercial trying to make their lovely marketing hashtag go viral #HowDoYouKFC #PhillySteakDance

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

computer parts posted:

Sorry dawg, that commercial blows

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think Hulu is the worst for repeating ads. You see the same ad in like every commercial break! It really wears you down. There's this one ad about some guy at like a pasta-making seminar trying to sell Cricket wireless and not only is it insufferable on its own, but after seeing it for what feels like hundreds of times it's just maddening to see it.

Holy poo poo yes! I HATE that commercial. And the fact that I see it during almost every show I watch, twice if it is a 40+ minute show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wojtek posted:

Any commercial trying to make their lovely marketing hashtag go viral #HowDoYouKFC #PhillySteakDance

It just means you have to attach very inappropriate things to those hashtags. Of course I really don't understand how to hashtag :corsair:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

computer parts posted:

Oh Captain, my Captain, stop being a wiener.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

computer parts posted:

NO ONE DISRESPECTS THE DPS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucraxlLIWjE

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The new Cadillac commercial is one of the douchiest, smuggest things I've ever seen (yes, even from Apple) but considering who drives Cadillacs they probably hit a bullseye

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
The cadillac commercial just makes me pissed off to live in the united states cause i'm certainly not seeing what's so great about NOT having the entire month of august off or having 2 hour lunch breaks at the cafe and instead working until you die of a heart attack

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Fun Spot here in Orlando has an ad with a parody of Gangnam Style. I saw it just now on a TV with the volume muted, thankfully, so I won't hear how awful it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4GeK8ztV0M

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zeether posted:

Fun Spot here in Orlando has an ad with a parody of Gangnam Style. I saw it just now on a TV with the volume muted, thankfully, so I won't hear how awful it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4GeK8ztV0M

Goddamn FunSpot. I hate all of those commercials, they're so beyond awful, especially the ones they try to choreograph dances and stuff for. At least the Appliance Direct guy is kind of amusing, these have no redeeming quality.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Grin and Tonic posted:

The cadillac commercial just makes me pissed off to live in the united states cause i'm certainly not seeing what's so great about NOT having the entire month of august off or having 2 hour lunch breaks at the cafe and instead working until you die of a heart attack

Holy poo poo chiming in to say to gently caress this commercial to infinity.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Vakal posted:

I don't know, I think I hate Mr. "I have one hand and I can still clean better :smuggo: " more. I get that it's a joke, but goddamn what a douche.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Grin and Tonic posted:

If you save up for long enough, you too may one day have the opportunity to waste your money on a Cadillac!

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The new Cadillac commercial is one of the douchiest, smuggest things I've ever seen (yes, even from Apple) but considering who drives Cadillacs they probably hit a bullseye

They cast Neal McDonough for it. I'm pretty sure that "smarmy douche" is the angle they were going for.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grin and Tonic posted:

Well we sure didn't get to be the #1 economy in the world by sitting around all day.

See, there used to be an era where people worked hard for the sake of working hard. Plus they didn't have, like, TV or anything so it was either work a lot or...I dunno brawl in the streets with the Irish. Unless you were Irish. There was a whole hierarchy and everything. Plus we didn't have kings and poo poo so it was actually possible for the hilariously poor to become the richest men in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've come to the conclusion I like the ads for James Patternson's books. They're just so hokey.