Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Conor Daly ‏@ConorDaly22 23m
Is it too late to go NASCAR truck racing? It worked for Kimi before he got back to F1. Lol #igotnothin

:smith:

Seriously, something needs to be done in order to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen.

Guys like Daly should not be struggling this badly to get rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Related only because it's Paul Tracy & light complaints about CART/IndyCar officials:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/sports-cars/us-racings-standard-of-officiating/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

Conor Daly ‏@ConorDaly22 23m
Is it too late to go NASCAR truck racing? It worked for Kimi before he got back to F1. Lol #igotnothin

Seriously, something needs to be done in order to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen.

Guys like Daly should not be struggling this badly to get rides.
Conor may be a good shoe (we dont really know yet), but I wouldn't hire him either if he didn't have cash... just saying.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Double post for good news, word going around that Verizon has signed a long term deal to be the title sponsor of IndyCar, including big promotion spending.

e: Cavin reporting it now

quote:

@curtcavin 4m

Hearing that #Verizon as title sponsor for #IndyCar is all but a done deal.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 18, 2014

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Cygni posted:

Double post for good news, word going around that Verizon has signed a long term deal to be the title sponsor of IndyCar, including big promotion spending.

About loving time! :woop:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also the Bestwick deal is official, will be the broadcast voice for all IndyCar races on ABC even when there is overlap with NASCAR. Also its multi-year, too.

http://www.sbnation.com/indycar/2014/2/18/5422446/allen-bestwick-officially-moves-to-indycar-broadcast-booth-in-2014

Huge huge huge upgrade in my opinion.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

Huge huge huge upgrade in my opinion.

I like him already:

SBNation posted:

Bestwick, who is best known for his NASCAR work, said he had a deep admiration of the Indianapolis 500 dating back to his childhood where he read the book "Thirty Days in May: The Indy 500" by Hal Higdon at least 18 times.

I checked that book out from the library at least once as a kid, probably more.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

e: Cavin reporting it now

Good news.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Between AB and Diffey, IndyCar's going to be well-covered for a lonnnnng time.

I wonder if this deal happens if Marty Reid doesn't forget how to count last year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

More awesome news: Standing start for Long Beach.

Provided that it doesn't get all hosed up, this would be awesome. No more massive penalty to anyone still approaching / in the hairpin while the leader gets the green flag.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
It's going to get aborted, waved by and then a rolling start will ensue.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Buying my LBGP tix when I get paid tomorrow. Anyone else going?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bentai posted:

Buying my LBGP tix when I get paid tomorrow. Anyone else going?

Yup, I'll be in the T1 stands as per uge.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just visited Long Beach on vacation this past November and I'd love to go back for the race. Maybe next year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

You're probably right :smith:

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

You must be a blast at parties.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm going to pick up C300 suite tickets, so I'll be near the final turn.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Depending on how much money I need to pump into my car to get it back to 100%, I might not go this year. Or I might just say gently caress it, I need to go this year.

We need to have an official Goon Meet.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

I hope so, otherwise Dan is going to have some friends.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

CactusWeasle posted:

Why? Is Pippa running Long Beach?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I don't think the boys at Daytona Beach will be too happy with this:

quote:

“We’ve got to get those taxi cab drivers used to driving real cars,” said Walker when asked about NASCAR driver Kurt Busch and if he’d get extra time on the track at Indy in May.

He also said NASCAR drivers are “little puppies who are welcome to come over and drive real cars.”

http://racereviewonline.com/indycar-derrick-walker-invites-nascar-drivers-pilot-real-cars/

I think he's been hanging around Robin Miller too much. ;)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CactusWeasle posted:

Why, exactly? They did a standing start at Long Beach in 08 and that long, wide front stretch is pretty perfect for standing starts.

also wow so edgy dang man cant believe

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't think the boys at Daytona Beach will be too happy with this:

http://racereviewonline.com/indycar-derrick-walker-invites-nascar-drivers-pilot-real-cars/

I think he's been hanging around Robin Miller too much. ;)

Low hanging fruit but does he not remember how bad Indy drivers do when they seat swap?

I don't understand why people poo poo on motorsport when they participate in motorsport, it's the same loving thing! "Oh those guys that hunt white tail deer are loving dumb, I hunt mule deer like a real man :smug:"

No wonder auto racing as a whole sucks.

quote:

NASCAR has struggled to have as much on track passing as IndyCar. The open wheel series is second-to-none as far as on track product. They had a record 68 lead changes in last year’s Indy 500 which is the norm at nearly every race. They have thrilling side-by-side action to which NASCAR uses gimmicks to try and recreate. NASCAR also tries to create that championship buzz by doing a Chase and modifying it constantly to keep up with IndyCar always having two, three and sometimes four drivers vying for the title in the last race.

I mean c'mon, look at that paragraph. That's delusional as gently caress no matter what your feelings are. They have 70 lead changes at every race? loving really? Remember all that side to side action they had at Pocono?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 18, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I mean c'mon, look at that paragraph. That's delusional as gently caress no matter what your feelings are. They have 70 lead changes at every race? loving really? Remember all that side to side action they had at Pocono?

TBF, I imagine the races this writer has likely seen has been Fontana and Indianapolis.

That's kind of what it sounds like.

While I didn't agree with the tone of what he said, I still agree with what he said.

Should NASCAR Drivers be at Indianapolis in the month of may? Absolutely. As should ICS drivers be at Daytona in February, and any other race the calls upon the best in the world to win it.

If you're a driver, you should want to race the big races, and race EVERYTHING.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
My favorite drivers are all guys who raced in multiple series.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Walker is the type of guy that makes these things called 'jokes', I know this is a wild concept in motorsports lately. He also started the interview by talking about how the camera guys should zoom in on women in the crowd, and made fun of Montoya for being fat.

I mean if you really want to know how he feels about NASCAR, remember that he restarted communication between the two series and was the one who pitched and executed the idea of getting back into NASCAR to Penske in the late 80s.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
My problem isn't with him, it's with the articles author who appears to take Walker seriously.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Cygni posted:

Walker is the type of guy that makes these things called 'jokes',

If low-effort trolling is humor I'm the funniest dude on the forums.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VikingSkull posted:

My problem isn't with him, it's with the articles author who appears to take Walker seriously.

Oh yeah, you're 100% right. Ive already seen 2 articles mention it like it was a totally serious STRONG TAKE. I guess it will get clicks from angry NASCAR fans and thats all they care about.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Tickets purchased, went with section 29 near the start/finish, so I can watch the abortedsuccessful standing start. Looking forward to finally seeing this race in person. :D

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

Tickets purchased, went with section 29 near the start/finish, so I can watch the abortedsuccessful standing start. Looking forward to finally seeing this race in person. :D

Probably the only tickets purchased all day.

Best quote from today's Robin Miller Mailbag

quote:

Q: Boy, would I hate to be working at the IMS ticket office right now. Sebastian Saavedra and Mikhail Aleshin confirmed for the season….the phones must be ringing off the hook!
D.A., Chicago

RM: Don’t you think the lines are burning up to sell concert tickets? Isn’t that why people go to IMS in May?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't even bother with Miller mailbags anymore because you know exactly what it's going to be every single time... pages and pages of old timers whining and proposing lovely magic fixes that would never work / nobody cares about.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Oldtimers are like 95% of the IndyCar fan base though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup. :corsair:

Also, this sums up the best reason Simona left ICS:

quote:

Q: Two quick questions about Simona's move to F1: What do you think will be her hardest adjustment and did she have any IndyCar offers?
John in Charleston
RM: Hard to say until she gets some miles. Alex Zanardi had trouble adapting to the tires and brakes and Sebastien Bourdais never got comfortable with how he had to drive his car (and he warned them during testing). Marshall Pruett, who broke the story about her Sauber deal, said she was close with Dale Coyne, talked to KV and Rahal, and Panther would have taken her for $3 million.

So, yeah, nothing but garbage rides (KV clearly wasn't the right fit for her, Rahal and Panther are the right fit for nobody, and I think JWil's success last year with Coyne is better than they'll ever do again now that Dale was too cheap to invest in more skilled people). The unfortunate reality is that floundering around in those rides for another year is a great way to have the exact same career as Justin Wilson, and that's a loving shame for both of them.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

IOwnCalculus posted:

The unfortunate reality is that floundering around in those rides for another year is a great way to have the exact same career as Justin Wilson, and that's a loving shame for both of them.

This is probably the most sobering thing I've read all day.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

At least Justin gets paid to race without needing to bring in sponsorship, which is more than can be said for most of the IndyCar field.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gret posted:

At least Justin gets paid to race without needing to bring in sponsorship, which is more than can be said for most of the IndyCar field.

Fine, but I'd argue that relative to the (total lack of) quality of his ride, he did better last year than anyone else in the series. Even the red car drivers agree that he would be on a whole different level if he had an equal ride.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
I occasionally hear talk of the good teams wanting JW, but at this point I just assume it's wishful thinking from journalists.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It's not that Indy is the only series where this is happening in, but it is something they need to fix.

I don't have a problem with Rider Buyers theoretically. It sucks though that there's some really talented folks who either never got the chance at a seat or their time was all too brief.

You got to change the game though. Jeff Gordon never got a chance at the Indy 500 because of similar reasons. "Bring Money or a sponsorship, then we'll talk".

You need to fix this.

Not by creating another league, or simply giving a driver a one-time million dollars to spend on a full-time Indy ride. But it'd certainly help if you created a way to tackle these problems without half-assing it.

You also need to "recruit" better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

You got to change the game though. Jeff Gordon never got a chance at the Indy 500 because of similar reasons. "Bring Money or a sponsorship, then we'll talk".

You need to fix this.

The problem is, how?

Serious question here - how does the NASCAR financial situation work? It feels like Indycar is one of the only series where the teams depend so heavily on Indycar itself for finances and actually receive significant amounts of money (Winner's Circle) to help keep teams afloat. That same amount of money would be a drop in the bucket for a F1 team budget, and I get the feeling that each NASCAR team funds its own way... and that if money is going anywhere between NASCAR and NASCAR teams, it'd be the teams paying NASCAR to enter the races, not the other way around (prize money excepted).

The only solution I can think of would essentially require a massive step up in sponsor dollars across the board, and Indycar isn't popular enough where a true backmarker grade team can easily find enough sponsor money on its own to put together a season. NASCAR offers a massively larger audience per race other than the Indy 500, and something like ~3x the races.

What blows my mind here is that it seems that if more sponsor money flowing around was the solution... there wasn't a shortage of it in the early '90s, so why were teams telling JG to get bent unless he brought some? Pure greed?

• Locked thread