Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm trying to play Ys Chronicles with this generic USB gamepad (Komodo, TTX Tech). The buttons feel off. I know I could change them to my liking, but could someone share what the default button config should be?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

windsor posted:

I'm trying to play Ys Chronicles with this generic USB gamepad (Komodo, TTX Tech). The buttons feel off. I know I could change them to my liking, but could someone share what the default button config should be?

My personal setup on your controller would be:

Ok/Magic - 3
Cancel/Walk - 2
Use Item - 4
Inventory - 1
Quick Swaps - 6 or 7 for either, whichever feels best to you.
Menu - 10
Info - 9

Never played it on the PSP, though, so I can't comment on how "official" my setup might be.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Also if you have trouble getting Ys II to recognize your directional input on your controller (left stick or what have you) change the input version for the game in the betas option on Steam. I was having problems playing it with a gamepad and that fixed it right up.

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seems good to me, thanks Lance and toddy.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I've spent the last month playing through these games on steam and was pleasantly surprised by how great they were. I played through 1, 2 and oath so far and starting origins soon. The only gripes I had were that the final area in Ys2 was a bit too mazelike and confusing, and the final area in oath was not mazelike and confusing enough :v:.

My favorite thing in YsII was the roo spell and how many uses and flavor text there were for it. I was kind of let down that oath didn't have anything similar, and just the one hub town. It almost felt like a step back to me.

My other favorite thing in YsII was that one of the villains basically had no purpose except for being a supreme magical rear end in a top hat. Every time you did something noteworthy, he would just teleport in, tell you you sucked, and then would freeze everyone in time, turn you into a monster, or do something else that screamed "Magical rear end in a top hat". He did this like four times across the game.

I really liked the simplicity of the story and focus on the gameplay. I feel like my rpg tolerance has just plummeted in recent years. I tried to play tales of xillia recently and hated every second of it until I quit about 5 hours in. The gameplay was fine, but every 5 minutes the characters would basically stop to spout anime tropes and cliches at each other until I wanted to strangle every member of the cast myself and save the villain the trouble. This game was cool because every time someone had a problem, Adol just nods as if to say, "yeah cool, I'll do it, no bigs." and goes out to hit stuff with a sword. There was exactly enough story, setting, and npc chat to give it a nice pace between dungeons without feeling bogged down by a stupid melodramatic storyline.

So after origins, I'm looking into 7 and cecelta. Do you think playing cecelta first is a decent idea, or will 7 feel really ugly, dated, and like a lesser version of cecelta if I do that? I doubt I'll see a digital sale on cecelta anytime soon, so I figured I might as well get that first while it's the new hotness and then hope 7 goes on sale at some point.

On that note, should anyone be finishing their game and looking to trade/sell their copy of cecelta, I have a few ps3 rpgs and steam games I'm trading/ebaying soon, so if you're interested in a legendary edition tales of xillia, ni no kuni, disgaea4, or a bunch of steam Bundle fodder, let me know.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 20, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Seven isn't so ancient that it would be unplayable after Celceta (and if anything Celceta kind of does look like a PSP game anyway). Celceta's a bit easier I suppose and there are a fair number of quality of life improvements (such as how you learn skills or how you charge up) but it's nothing major.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Boy have I got some bad news for you about 7 and Celceta if you hate jRPGs constantly stopping you to throw lovely anime tropes at you.

Anyway, Celceta and 7 are better and worse than each other in various different ways. I think Celceta is generally much better overall, it's significantly less balanced but I think it manages to be more fun in spite of, or maybe because of that.

Can you play 7 on the Vita? I unfortunately bought the UMD version of 7 and I get the impression there's no way to transfer that ownership to a digital version or anything. Which sucks because man is the PSP terrible.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Meow Tse-tung posted:

So after origins, I'm looking into 7 and cecelta. Do you think playing cecelta first is a decent idea, or will 7 feel really ugly, dated, and like a lesser version of cecelta if I do that? I doubt I'll see a digital sale on cecelta anytime soon, so I figured I might as well get that first while it's the new hotness and then hope 7 goes on sale at some point.

Ys7 is going to feel dated compared to Celceta, mostly in the graphics area. It's still great enough to be played after Celceta if that's what you feel like doing. If it were me, I'd just play Ys7 first. It's only 15 dollars and god knows how long you'd have to wait for that to get a price cut.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Can we talk about Legend of Xanadu I & II? Well technically they're "Kaze no Densetsu: Xanadu" (Legends of the Wind??) but whatever. The first game looks unremarkable but oh man I've been drooling over videos of the second game and it looks right up my alley.

Bump combat, only with party members who shoot bows and throw magic around, collecting money, and kickass looking side scrolling boss sections. I remember reading a thread in 2011 about a possible fan translation but I guess it petered out. :(

Anyone ever play these?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Has anyone played Sen no Kiseki on Vita or PS3? Or, for that matter, the HD re-releases of the Trails series (Sora no Kiseki) on PS3?

I'm pretty keen to play some in-depth JRPGs on the big screen for once, instead of staring at the PSP all the time. My Japanese is pretty mediocre these days but I'll be able to muddle through the menus/skills/etc. without any trouble.

Are any of these worth my time, given that a fair chunk of the actual narrative might escape me? Are the battles and game systems interesting/entertaining?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The various No Kiseki games are somewhat notorious for being pretty wordy, so it's probably not a good idea to play one if you wouldn't really understand the narrative.

If you don't want to play them on a PSP though, the Trails in the Sky games are being released on Steam sometime this year.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

thorsilver posted:

Has anyone played Sen no Kiseki on Vita or PS3? Or, for that matter, the HD re-releases of the Trails series (Sora no Kiseki) on PS3?

I'm pretty keen to play some in-depth JRPGs on the big screen for once, instead of staring at the PSP all the time. My Japanese is pretty mediocre these days but I'll be able to muddle through the menus/skills/etc. without any trouble.

Are any of these worth my time, given that a fair chunk of the actual narrative might escape me? Are the battles and game systems interesting/entertaining?

A large part of the point of the Trails games is their narrative and the charming characters and watching them bounce off one another, so if you're shaky on that in Japanese, it's not the best idea.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

SpaceDrake posted:

A large part of the point of the Trails games is their narrative and the charming characters and watching them bounce off one another, so if you're shaky on that in Japanese, it's not the best idea.

Aw shame. I was hoping to get away with my usual Japanese gaming experience -- get about 70% of what's going on while the rest gives an intriguing sense of mystery to the proceedings :)

In that case, when are the PC ports coming out then? I'm seeing March for the first one, is the second one coming shortly thereafter?

Zombiecop
Jul 2, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Can we talk about Legend of Xanadu I & II? Well technically they're "Kaze no Densetsu: Xanadu" (Legends of the Wind??) but whatever. The first game looks unremarkable but oh man I've been drooling over videos of the second game and it looks right up my alley.

Bump combat, only with party members who shoot bows and throw magic around, collecting money, and kickass looking side scrolling boss sections. I remember reading a thread in 2011 about a possible fan translation but I guess it petered out. :(

Anyone ever play these?

I absolutely adore these two games. Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu 1 was the third title I ever imported. I got it out of an order form from the back of a gamefan some, uh, almost 20 years ago. I picked up the second a couple of years later. The second game in particular is absolutely amazing looking. It looks far closer to Star Ocean or Tales of Phantasia or some other late SNES RPG than just about anything else that it can be compared to on the PC Engine.

There is currently a translation project underway for the second game in the series. There's a thread about it on pcenginefx.com that gets the occasional update. I recall reading that the first game is infeasible without a significant overhaul of the way the game loads the script all at once and not having much excess memory to play with so who knows if it'll ever see the light of day in English. It's a shame too, it's a fun game but it's quite hard to understand the goal of the overworld portions due to the sometimes excessive amount of fetch questing and the flow-of-time changes to things. That being said, there are walkthroughs around and the game is still fun to play.

Funny thing about both games, on the front the title is clearly written in English "The Legend of Xanadu" but on the side it says in Japanese Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu. Which is it, Falcom? Is it the Wind's legend or not!?

Zombiecop fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 22, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I ended up getting a copy of 2 and attempting to play it. Managed to find some chests full of stuff on the opening boat but...that's it. So close. So far. Hope they finish that translation soon, the game looks like so much fun.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

From what I heard they're going all out with that translation including adding a voice patch like the Ys IV one. I'd love to play it if that patch ever happens.

Zombiecop
Jul 2, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I ended up getting a copy of 2 and attempting to play it. Managed to find some chests full of stuff on the opening boat but...that's it. So close. So far. Hope they finish that translation soon, the game looks like so much fun.

The game is quite playable without much knowledge of Japanese. It becomes quite linear after you get juuuuust a tad into it.

So, the ship has two above-deck areas and a below deck area. Both above deck areas have 2 rooms. Go through the below deck tunnel to the second area (you already got the gear, so, good on that). Talk to both of the sailors on the above-deck area on the right, then head back to the other above deck area. Go talk to your bro, Arios, then go in the room just to the far right on that area. Click on the map, watch the conversation, and congrats! Now you're on land and able to fight stuff!!!! Game only gets better from there on out.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Zombiecop posted:

The game is quite playable without much knowledge of Japanese. It becomes quite linear after you get juuuuust a tad into it.

So, the ship has two above-deck areas and a below deck area. Both above deck areas have 2 rooms. Go through the below deck tunnel to the second area (you already got the gear, so, good on that). Talk to both of the sailors on the above-deck area on the right, then head back to the other above deck area. Go talk to your bro, Arios, then go in the room just to the far right on that area. Click on the map, watch the conversation, and congrats! Now you're on land and able to fight stuff!!!! Game only gets better from there on out.

Siiiick, thanks. I'm loving the aesthetic of the game so far. It just feels drat good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Whatever happened to the translation patch for Zwei II being a "few months away" as of about a year ago?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Nate RFB posted:

Whatever happened to the translation patch for Zwei II being a "few months away" as of about a year ago?

They are refusing to comment on it. I assume either some publisher has picked them up (which is actually pretty cool) or something went devastatingly wrong with the project and they're unsure whether to start over or drop the project altogether. I really hope it's the first one, more people need to play Zwei II.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
I was looking up Trails in the Sky updates and from this from someone at XSeed:

I think it's fair to say Trails FC Steam version is getting pushed to spring. I mean, we haven't officially "given up" on our winter release window yet, but the chances of us getting everything squared away in time are like... in the single digit percentages, if not in a tiny fraction below 1. ;) Until we give an official statement that it's been pushed back, it's still technically slated for sometime before March 19th but... yeah... I would be SHOCKED if we made that.

None of this should affect SC negatively, though, since SC editing is still continuing unabated, and needs to be finished before we can even really start doing any of the technical stuff with that game. So the more problems we resolve with FC now, the fewer problems we'll have with SC later on, meaning it might actually come out *sooner*! It's kind of weird how that works, but... there it is. ;)

-Tom

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Just freshly started Ys SEVEN and I'm curious if crafting and smithing as useless as it seems? All those mats for just +1 stat is kinda eh...but then again this Ys game feels a like like Felghana where one level can actually make the difference in a bossfight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Just freshly started Ys SEVEN and I'm curious if crafting and smithing as useless as it seems? All those mats for just +1 stat is kinda eh...but then again this Ys game feels a like like Felghana where one level can actually make the difference in a bossfight.

Stats are more like a normal JRPG than Oath, so little changes aren't a big deal. You're generally never gonna be needing a lot of crafting material barring super endgame stuff though, and you learn new skills through weapons so it has obvious uses there.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Earlier tonight, I finally finished my first Ys game, Ys I on the Chronicles of Ys+ pack on Steam... I can see why people love these games, but please tell me the final boss of Ys II is not a complete dick to fight compared to the rest of the bosses. I think I spent at least an hour on Ys I's final boss until I think I assume I got lucky on keeping him from destroying too much of his little arena before I got the final hit in.

Also, like kirbysuperstar was quoted in the OP's second post, the PC-8801 does make the game awesome. I haven't checked out the arranged music yet, but the retro game music nerd in me loved that version of the soundtrack. :)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Obeast posted:

Earlier tonight, I finally finished my first Ys game, Ys I on the Chronicles of Ys+ pack on Steam... I can see why people love these games, but please tell me the final boss of Ys II is not a complete dick to fight compared to the rest of the bosses. I think I spent at least an hour on Ys I's final boss until I think I assume I got lucky on keeping him from destroying too much of his little arena before I got the final hit in.

From what I recall, I destroyed the final boss of Ys 2 and didn't even need to use the "you revive once upon death" item.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure Dark Fact's tile destroying gimmick is a lot more lenient on the Turbografics version, so I'm not even sure what's up with that. They also fixed the low level cap (which also "fixes" Vagullon), so I'm not really sure why they decided to ignore all the cool stuff an oldass port did. Ys 2 is pretty great at least, endgame backtracking through samey corridors aside.

Zombiecop
Jul 2, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I'm pretty sure Dark Fact's tile destroying gimmick is a lot more lenient on the Turbografics version, so I'm not even sure what's up with that. They also fixed the low level cap (which also "fixes" Vagullon), so I'm not really sure why they decided to ignore all the cool stuff an oldass port did. Ys 2 is pretty great at least, endgame backtracking through samey corridors aside.

After first playing the Master System version, I thought Dark Fact was too easy on the Turbo version. Beating him in Ys Eternal was much more fulfilling.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Has there been any new updates on Trails In The Sky for Steam? I'm really wanting a good JRPG to play soon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They're testing it and stuff still, at least as far as one XSEED'ers tweets go.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

They're also trying to get Napishtim on Steam, right?

vvv: It's certainly the best version. As for the game itself, people seem to have mixed opinions. I think it's my favorite Ys game but that's just me :v:

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 1, 2014

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

Is the PC version much better than the PS2 one? Because the PS2 one isn't very good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're testing it and stuff still, at least as far as one XSEED'ers tweets go.

They ran into a couple big issues a month or two ago that are the main cause of the delay. On the plus side they will know how to fix them for SC.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Napishtim was cool, but lord the balance in it was attrocious. 1 or 2 level ups in Ys games will generally make them much easier but in 6 they seemed to turn impossible situations into cakewalk.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Unmature posted:

Is the PC version much better than the PS2 one? Because the PS2 one isn't very good.

The differences are just graphical, with the PC having sprites instead of 3D models as well the usual anime cutscenes instead of... whatever the hell those atrocities were on the PS2.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Volt Catfish posted:

They mentioned it on Facebook: they'd really like to get Ys 6 on Steam, to complete the Ark Engine trifecta. We'll see if it happens.

Zombiecop
Jul 2, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

The differences are just graphical, with the PC having sprites instead of 3D models as well the usual anime cutscenes instead of... whatever the hell those atrocities were on the PS2.

They were pretty big differences though. The PS2 version had some awfully low resolution texture maps and everything (the world in particular) looked pretty horrible. The PS2 version added difficulty modes and spoken dialog that wasn't in the PC release as I recall, but I don't remember any other upgrades off the top of my head.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Zombiecop posted:

but I don't remember any other upgrades off the top of my head.

I'm pretty sure the Trials of Alma were only in the PS2 vedrsion.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The real problem with Napishtim outside of balance is the lack of warping like Origins and Oath have. Napishtim becomes insanely backtracky as a result and it takes way too long to create the appropriate shortcuts to make the backtracking less tedious.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm going through the Ys 1 Time Attack after beating the game, and I have to say the only bosses that actually piss me off are Jenocres and Dark Fact. Vagullion's "difficulty" comes from the fact that all he does is waste your time instead of posing as an actual threat, while the others are so easy that they feel like filter instead of being credible threats. If you removed the bosses you face in Darm Tower, nothing would change because they're so dumb and easy there's really no purpose for them except to slightly pad out the game.

EDIT: OK, gently caress YS 1's Time Attack mode. I've suffered through Vagullion and Jenocres 10 loving times to get wiped by Dark Fact because of a small mistake I made while fighting him. YS 1's TA mode can get bent.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
http://www.esterior.net/2014/05/is-xseed-games-going-to-release-brandish-the-dark-revenant/
Man, I really, REALLY hope this gets over to America. Brandish was a really fun SNES game.
For that matter, why hasn't anyone MENTIONED Brandish yet?

It was a top-down dungeon delver. All about going into this mysterious ancient tower, while a sorceress tried to kill you, because apparently, you killed her master.
Honestly, it's been a while, so I don't remember a BUNCH of details about the game. I DO remember that the sequel got a fan translation, though: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1442/

• Locked thread