Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
At least if you end up playing all the Silent Hills there's like, three or four left. Homecoming is super quick, you guys already played through (or at least Keith got a little into) Shattered Memories, and Origins is probably optional despite being ported for the PS2. It's not like Mario or Sonic where there's a billion to get through.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Squallege posted:

At least if you end up playing all the Silent Hills there's like, three or four left. Homecoming is super quick, you guys already played through (or at least Keith got a little into) Shattered Memories, and Origins is probably optional despite being ported for the PS2. It's not like Mario or Sonic where there's a billion to get through.

I think that once Silent Hill is done for, it's time for the Resident Evil games :getin:

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think that once Silent Hill is done for, it's time for the Resident Evil games :getin:

Keith and Kyle will never escape their doom of forever LPing.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

Can we just have them re-do everything Niggurath has done?

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

no_shit_columbo posted:

Totally worth it to see them try and get through the Fatal Frame series.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kyle and Keith making "Let's Play 10/30/x Years of y" LPs for the rest of time is their own personal Silent Hill. All it needs is chain link and boom perfect Silent Hill 9 plot right there for the taking.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

The Nightmare Barn is probably scary enough even without chainlink.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

no_shit_columbo posted:

i'm not watching that eyeball scene in deadspace 2 again no matter who's playing it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

no_shit_columbo posted:

It would be dramatically more entertaining.

Mostly I just hope you guys work up the strength to play Homecoming, that game is hilariously stupid and great.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I was reading one of Lowtax' old articles before watching your latest episode and that vending machine puzzle was a prophecy coming true.

quote:

Every single retarded survival horror puzzle revolves around you finding keys or using coins to find keys or pushing a correct sequence of buttons that lets you find coins that you redeem for keys or valuable parting gifts. You could be trapped in a closet and the only way to escape involves you combining a horseshoe and a Richard Nixon campaign button to fashion a crude, coin-shaped key. I loathe survival horror puzzles and the anti-logic which they revolve around.

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.
Kyle and Keith got together to yell at each other about Silent Hill for a video and you guys should watch it maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qr30DZJrBw

Also:

CJacobs posted:

Since you guys are wondering about it at the start of the episode: The Good+ ending of Silent Hill 1 is not canon, just the regular Good one; the Kaufmann sidequest is because of the stuff it revolves around but saving Cybil is unfortunately not. I don't remember where it was made clear, it might have been in this game!

tl;dr - Nothing in the games explicitly states whether Good or Good+ is canon. A case can be made for either ending. i'm a nerd

xenotrope
Apr 20, 2011

I think the first mention of Cybil's fate is in Homecoming, when Deputy Wheeler mentions that an officer from Brahms went missing a few years earlier. If I remember it correctly, the conversation happens on the boat when they are leaving Shepard's Glen.

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.

xenotrope posted:

I think the first mention of Cybil's fate is in Homecoming, when Deputy Wheeler mentions that an officer from Brahms went missing a few years earlier. If I remember it correctly, the conversation happens on the boat when they are leaving Shepard's Glen.

Yup, and even then it's ambiguous. "Went missing" isn't saying "She's dead". All we gain from that scene is the implication that after Silent Hill 1, Cybil didn't return to Brahms. But then you run into the issue of deciding how much of Homecoming you want to consider canon and

edit: /spoiler just to be safe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not ambiguous even if she isn't confirmed dead. The Book of Lost Memories refers to SH1's Good ending as "The orthodox ending, which is connected to the third game". That and I don't think anyone in the game actually tells you you can use the Aglaophotis on Cybil to get rid of the wormy thing, you have to figure out what it's for by yourself and I don't think Harry "pretty sneaky guy" Mason would be smart enough to do so by his lonesome.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Kamoc posted:

Kyle and Keith got together to yell at each other about Silent Hill for a video and you guys should watch it maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qr30DZJrBw
Yeah, they should totally watch! Great job putting the whole thing together.

no_shit_columbo posted:

Let's not pretend that's even kind of a good idea (but yeah, maybe)

Radio! posted:

The Nightmare Barn is probably scary enough even without chainlink.

There are parts of it that are horrifying, and its all scary in the dark, but in the day time its totally benign without Scary Games happening

eating only apples posted:

Mostly I just hope you guys work up the strength to play Homecoming, that game is hilariously stupid and great.
That probably what I'm most excited to get to, whether good or bad I want something that's at least interesting to comment on and I feel like SH 2 and 3 just havent had that quality so far.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

Somethingdumb posted:

Let's not pretend that's even kind of a good idea (but yeah, maybe)

Oh Keith, you give me hope :swoon:

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.

CJacobs posted:

It's not ambiguous even if she isn't confirmed dead. The Book of Lost Memories refers to SH1's Good ending as "The orthodox ending, which is connected to the third game". That and I don't think anyone in the game actually tells you you can use the Aglaophotis on Cybil to get rid of the wormy thing, you have to figure out what it's for by yourself and I don't think Harry "pretty sneaky guy" Mason would be smart enough to do so by his lonesome.

Note how I said "Nothing in the games explicitly states whether Good or Good+ is canon." If you wanna bring BoLM into this and consider the creators' true intentions then you might like to know that Toyama changed his mind about which ending he considers canon:

Keichiro Toyama, via Twitter posted:

I remember that I said "Good" was the true ending, because Good+ is a game’s game. Probably, Owaku rememberd that and he wrote SH3 story as a sequel to "Good".But, now, I change my mind and consider the "Good+" is a true ending.

Regardless, I'm a fan of either ending being canon. The fact that the creator of the game can flip-flop on which endings he thinks are true says a lot. Anyway, here's a really good read if you're interested in learning more about why Good+ (or both endings) can be canon (Warning: Spoilers): http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2013/11/20/Why-are-fans-so-resistant-to-the-Good+-ending-of-Silent-Hill.aspx

If you wanna talk more about this feel free to hit me up in a PM or on Twitter. I'm sure the thread would appreciate it.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Kyle and Keith making "Let's Play 10/30/x Years of y" LPs for the rest of time is their own personal Silent Hill. All it needs is chain link and boom perfect Silent Hill 9 plot right there for the taking.

I'm personally waiting for the "Let's play 30 years of Final Fantasy" where they have to complete every game in the main series along with playing side games.

Keith, Kyle, make it happen.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I'm personally waiting for the "Let's play 30 years of Final Fantasy" where they have to complete every game in the main series along with playing side games.

If they do that they'll just die of old age before they even have a chance to give up.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I super dont want to do that. I think doing SH has taught us that we prefer playing something faster paced for LPs.

E: It's the difference between tangents/unrelated topics being a luxury and being literally necessary to make a good video.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Somethingdumb posted:

I super dont want to do that. I think doing SH has taught us that we prefer playing something faster paced for LPs.

Plus you have about 10 Mario-based RPGs to play through before you'll have time to start FF.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

Kamoc posted:

Note how I said "Nothing in the games explicitly states whether Good or Good+ is canon."

Was gonna note how some people are pretty high-strung about Silent Hill, but I suppose that's a point that doesn't need further proving.

ETA: VVV Q.E.D. Though I'm impressed by the italics/caps/"!!." combo.

(Dude, you don't *have* to get carried away attitudewise to show you care.)

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 12, 2014

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea, he corrected someone on the internet!!. PRETTY FUCKIN WEIRD. He may as well have yelled at them for 3 hours and called them names while he was at it.

e: See the thing is i'm not high strung about silent hill, I'm high strung about people making lovely posts on the internet about how cool they are for not caring about any particular subject.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 11, 2014

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Can't we all just get along?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I would most definitely be up for this. I love the RE series (Well, the early ones) and from the way Kyle talks about it I think that'd be great fun to watch. Maybe have Keith play it, since Kyle already has?

Keith, Kyle, I'm sorry, but I've been ignoring all your Silent Hill 3 videos. That's because I watched the first one and decided to start from the beginning, I'm on Episode 13 of Silent Hill 2 at the moment. Hopefully I catch up before you finish this one!

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 12: Let's Play Silent Hill 3 Part 1
All this needs is the world's latest title card.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It is unfathomable how poorly paced this game is.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Whenever you guys post the video where you get through that door combo puzzle someone should remember to post about the :psyduck: hard mode version :psyduck: of that one

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't really think "you're not in Silent Hill" counts as a spoiler since you were openly asking about it for like the first five or six videos.

I didn't think it would take you until you actually were in Silent Hill to piece together that you're not in Silent Hill but I can understand the confusion.:shrug:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Keith is right about SH1 taking place in a different part of the town. There's two hospitals, Brookhaven and Alchemilla. I think Brookhaven is a mental institute more than a traditional hospital, but :confused:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's generally understood that the missing-person case that brought the detective to Silent Hill involved James.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
When I played through the first section, I was mostly impressed by what a crap-rear end apartment Harry had. Understandable for being on the lam from the cult, I guess. Though it did have two bathrooms.

NextTime000 posted:

Whenever you guys post the video where you get through that door combo puzzle someone should remember to post about the :psyduck: hard mode version :psyduck: of that one

Playing through this part while having the puzzle difficulty on Hard mode went a long way toward souring me on the game.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 18, 2014

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Blenheim posted:

When I played through the first section, I was mostly impressed by what a crap-rear end apartment Harry had. Understandable for being on the lam from the cult, I guess. Though it did have two bathrooms.

Playing through this part while having the puzzle difficulty on Hard mode went a long way toward souring me on the game.

Well he didn't even have money for new clothes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kyle: "Actually, I've got the touch."
Keith: "I've got the sight!"

Hah! Nice job on that one guys.

Seriously though, is this really the late game?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Deer K&K,

Do you want to know if this is close to the end or not? It's another nebulous maybe-a-spoiler, so I thought I'd ask.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The general outline of a Power Ranger. :allears:

Also, the identity of the SH2 chair guy (as well as the other corpses just lying around in the early game). :unsmigghh:

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003
Unless the other games in the franchise are just comically terrible (which it seems like might be the case), I think you guys should consider calling it quits with Silent Hill after you finish this game.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

MUMMYMTN posted:

Unless the other games in the franchise are just comically terrible (which it seems like might be the case), I think you guys should consider calling it quits with Silent Hill after you finish this game.

Yeah, I've heard 4 is pretty bad too, but I feel like that marks the end of the "official" series if that makes sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the most part, the games after 4 are not funny bad, they're just bad. Origins is probably the least worst followed by Shattered Memories but the rest may as well be a corrosive acid that eats away at good game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

For the most part, the games after 4 are not funny bad, they're just bad. Origins is probably the least worst followed by Shattered Memories but the rest may as well be a corrosive acid that eats away at good game design.

The order of least bad to most bad is contentious. Mine is Downpour - Origins - Shatmemz - Homecoming.

• Locked thread