Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!
Also, Leslie main eventing Starrcade with Hogan wasn't even in the same ballpark. It wasn't even the dumbest match on the card (my pick would be Mr. T in a wrestling match for some reason against Kevin Sullivan that featured a run-in from Dave Sullivan dressed as Santa Claus who hit Kevin with Jimmy Hart's "Hulkaphone", allowing Mr. T to pin him after a match that largely featured T falling over and laying down a lot). The Leslie/Hogan match was a standard "Hogan likes to work with his friends and Leslie is bad at wrestling" match and was as bad as anyone would suspect it was going to be, but come on. Worse than Austin getting squashed by Hacksaw? No way.

The Hogan match even kinda had a passable story behind it; "two dudes were friends, one turns on the other, the victim wants revenge" is a perfectly serviceable wrestling story if you forget how awful the two people involved were (and that Leslie turned out to somehow be a spy). The Duggan thing was WCW wanting to get a title on Duggan ASAP with no build up because he was perceived as a WWF star. Austin was never put over or made to look good; I think he lost both rematches he had with Duggan though at least they were DQs or something and not a 30 second squash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Occupy Japan posted:

Also, Leslie main eventing Starrcade with Hogan wasn't even in the same ballpark. It wasn't even the dumbest match on the card (my pick would be Mr. T in a wrestling match for some reason against Kevin Sullivan that featured a run-in from Dave Sullivan dressed as Santa Claus who hit Kevin with Jimmy Hart's "Hulkaphone", allowing Mr. T to pin him after a match that largely featured T falling over and laying down a lot). The Leslie/Hogan match was a standard "Hogan likes to work with his friends and Leslie is bad at wrestling" match and was as bad as anyone would suspect it was going to be, but come on. Worse than Austin getting squashed by Hacksaw? No way.

The Hogan match even kinda had a passable story behind it; "two dudes were friends, one turns on the other, the victim wants revenge" is a perfectly serviceable wrestling story if you forget how awful the two people involved were (and that Leslie turned out to somehow be a spy). The Duggan thing was WCW wanting to get a title on Duggan ASAP with no build up because he was perceived as a WWF star. Austin was never put over or made to look good; I think he lost both rematches he had with Duggan though at least they were DQs or something and not a 30 second squash.

Austin slipped on a banana peel and was beaten in a goofy thing that was barely a match. It was really stupid. It wasn't as stupid as main eventing your biggest PPV of the year with Ed Leslie. Especially as the follow up title match to Hogan vs Flair in a cage match with special refs and careers on the line.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Occupy Japan posted:

It's really surprising that considering what a walking nepotism machine Hulk Hogan was - getting jobs for all his IRL friends and former WWF buddies - that his own family never really got super huge pushes. Wasn't Mike Awesome Hogan's cousin or something? And Horus was his nephew.

Mike Awesome was Horace's cousin. Not sure how that figures into the Hulk Hogan nepotism math.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
WCW Live feed footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIUlaoyMXtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VKKS3mMyAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90LxAvqfoWI

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So was Mike Tenay doing coke before the show and then taking Valium during it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DeathChicken posted:

So was Mike Tenay doing coke before the show and then taking Valium during it?

I assume all announcers were given as much booze as humanly possible. It was to deal with the show and Tony.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And Tony was given Surge, the opposite of booze.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The crowd's confusion and disdain for the announcement at the start of the twist on the main event is pretty spectacular. It's like a desert of indifference amongst a sea of cheering.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Tenay excitedly talking about lines of coke is the most amazing thing.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Austin slipped on a banana peel and was beaten in a goofy thing that was barely a match. It was really stupid. It wasn't as stupid as main eventing your biggest PPV of the year with Ed Leslie. Especially as the follow up title match to Hogan vs Flair in a cage match with special refs and careers on the line.

WCW's quest to essentially become the WWF by bringing in as much of their talent as possible lead to, among other things,

1) Hulk Hogan bringing in his friend with whom he'd had one of his last major programs in the WWF, the sort of fans that were diehard enough Hogan fans to follow him to WCW would recognize this and WCW played off this by having Leslie betray Hogan so that Hogan would have people to face that he was used to working with. They had a boring match and no one in WCW was made to look like a joke by incoming WWF dudes.

2) A dude who is a WCW original, pegged by everyone to be a future megastar and is being groomed to be the heir apparent to Ric Flair prior to Hogan and co. coming in is jobbed out in 5 seconds in a comedy-lite match which sees him lose the second biggest singles title in the promotion to a dude who never held a title before but is getting a push because he was from the same fed that Hulk Hogan was from and who's only tie to Hogan was being on his team at the 1990 Survivor's Series. There were two rematches, both of which Austin lost. And that's not even getting into the long term consequences of labeling Austin "unmarketable" and railroading him out and what came after.

One of these is an example of a near perfect storm of bad booking, stupid decisions and terminal short-sightedness and I'm not sure it's the one you think it is.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

The crowd's confusion and disdain for the announcement at the start of the twist on the main event is pretty spectacular. It's like a desert of indifference amongst a sea of cheering.

:wow:

"I don't know what going to happen" and I'm sure the booking team doesn't either. :smug:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Skinty McEdger posted:

Tenay excitedly talking about lines of coke is the most amazing thing.

Someone hasn't seen the "Lex, Sting, Road Warriors, and more doing coke in the dressing room and acting like twelve year olds at camp" tape I take it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

Someone hasn't seen the "Lex, Sting, Road Warriors, and more doing coke in the dressing room and acting like twelve year olds at camp" tape I take it.

Anyone in this thread who hasn't should rectify that immediately. Belongs here anyway since it happened in the direct predecessor of WCW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMh2aBYKucM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1D6MW9uqsA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Occupy Japan posted:

WCW's quest to essentially become the WWF by bringing in as much of their talent as possible lead to, among other things,

1) Hulk Hogan bringing in his friend with whom he'd had one of his last major programs in the WWF, the sort of fans that were diehard enough Hogan fans to follow him to WCW would recognize this and WCW played off this by having Leslie betray Hogan so that Hogan would have people to face that he was used to working with. They had a boring match and no one in WCW was made to look like a joke by incoming WWF dudes.

2) A dude who is a WCW original, pegged by everyone to be a future megastar and is being groomed to be the heir apparent to Ric Flair prior to Hogan and co. coming in is jobbed out in 5 seconds in a comedy-lite match which sees him lose the second biggest singles title in the promotion to a dude who never held a title before but is getting a push because he was from the same fed that Hulk Hogan was from and who's only tie to Hogan was being on his team at the 1990 Survivor's Series. There were two rematches, both of which Austin lost. And that's not even getting into the long term consequences of labeling Austin "unmarketable" and railroading him out and what came after.

One of these is an example of a near perfect storm of bad booking, stupid decisions and terminal short-sightedness and I'm not sure it's the one you think it is.

The Hogan/Leslie Starrcade match was a huge flop on PPV, it barely beat the previous year's event on PPV and may have even lost money overall due to Hogan's huge salary. If you don't think anyone failed to look like a joke by a midcarder for life main eventing the in theory biggest PPV of the year, I don't know what to tell you. It says everyone in the company isn't on the level of a mid carder.

Duggan held titles in Mid South, what are you talking about and why does that matter? I wouldn't do anything with Duggan in 94 either, but just because he was a goofball in the WWF doesn't mean he was always a useless goofball. As for Austin, WCW cutting him had more to do with cost cutting and a belief he had a bad attitude. He didn't hide his discontent with the company, he refused a job or two and the company initially thought he was faking his injury. In the end, they had budget issues coming up and a $200,000 salary wasn't one they could keep on the books at that point. You are overstating Austin's ceiling according to everyone too. He was thought to be a future top heel in the Ric Flair mold, he was not thought to be a "megastar."

As a one time thing Austin slipping on a banana peel and losing to Duggan was not the worst thing they did. You could easily turn that into a feud where you put Austin over, you could put him somewhere else that involves a push and the US title, etc. That kind of job was the Scott Hall special, you put a guy over without actually getting him over. It was something you could recover from. Overall, burying Austin and firing him was one of the dumber things the company did, maybe not the dumbest.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Guys this is a pretty informative thread but I feel it's missing out on a lot of information, luckily I found this website that seems like the goto nWo repository

http://www.angelfire.com/in/nwo4life/index.html

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That is a time machine right there.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Scott Hall put over 123 Kid like a million bucks (He'd even cut promos later to the effect of "You don't have to tell me how tough this guy is, he beat me." Same for Goldust (Goldust just flat out made a monkey of him in that feud). Hall didn't really lose very often, but when he did it tended to count.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

Guys this is a pretty informative thread but I feel it's missing out on a lot of information, luckily I found this website that seems like the goto nWo repository

http://www.angelfire.com/in/nwo4life/index.html

The chat and guestbook are down :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

Scott Hall put over 123 Kid like a million bucks (He'd even cut promos later to the effect of "You don't have to tell me how tough this guy is, he beat me." Same for Goldust (Goldust just flat out made a monkey of him in that feud). Hall didn't really lose very often, but when he did it tended to count.

There was a huge difference between the Scott Hall in the WWF (and even until a few months into 97) and the Scott Hall who got hooked on booze and Hogan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

There was a huge difference between the Scott Hall in the WWF (and even until a few months into 97) and the Scott Hall who got hooked on booze and Hogan.

"I wish I could quit you, mang" *vomits uncontrollably*

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Thauros posted:

Anyone in this thread who hasn't should rectify that immediately. Belongs here anyway since it happened in the direct predecessor of WCW.

I've heard it said a lot that Lex wasn't "one of the boys" and thought he was better than wrestling but he sure looks like he's having a good time there.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

natetimm posted:

I've heard it said a lot that Lex wasn't "one of the boys" and thought he was better than wrestling but he sure looks like he's having a good time there.

Cocaine is the universal solvent.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Thauros posted:

I can't believe I've never seen this tape before, or ever even heard of it. How long has this been around? I want to show it to people and ask them to guess which 3 guys are dead. I bet they wouldn't guess Paul Ellering. But probably get Dr. Death and either Road Warrior.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

LordPants posted:

:wow:

"I don't know what going to happen" and I'm sure the booking team doesn't either. :smug:

Was this when Bischoff was booking segments as they went while watching Raw?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Paul Ellering isn't dead. Last I heard he owns a bar in Minnesota.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Was this when Bischoff was booking segments as they went while watching Raw?

I don't know, I just assumed that they put the cart before the horse when booking it :)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It always blows my mind when I find videos of RAW/Nitro that were filmed/live in my city. I do actually remember when they came to town, in the now-demolished stadium. Pretty sure this city is too small for a RAW taping anymore, we only get 1-2 house shows a year instead.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

Thauros posted:

This is really worth it for the epic impromptu rant Jim Cornette goes on in part 2.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Paul Ellering isn't dead. Last I heard he owns a bar in Minnesota.

I don't remember Ellering that well so wanted to look him up on wiki and found this near the bottom of the article

quote:

In 2011, Ellering was shat into the WWE Hall of Fame, along with the Road Warriors, by "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I like that everybody chimed in on Tank Abbott.

Now do High Voltage!

I swear, once upon a time, they were Rage and Kaos. Then they became Kenny Kaos and Robbie Rage. They were both roided to hell and screamed a lot after slamming guys. Then they had quasi-singles runs. Then they teamed up with other guys.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I mainly remember their theme song. "Danger! High Voltage! Bzzzzzzz!"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DeathChicken posted:

I mainly remember their theme song. "Danger! High Voltage! Bzzzzzzz!"

Huh. I remember that.

I can't decide if that's better or worse than Diesel's first theme:

- Ignition
- Engine rumble
- TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
- TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
- Engine rumble
- TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
- TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
- Engine rumble
- TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
How about Tugboat making the horn sound? WOOO WOOO

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

High Voltage was cool because most of their signature tag team moves involved an electric chair setup and that is the kind of subtlety I can appreciate.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight we have one Nitro left until Uncensored so that means we have a special night after Nitro!

First up, the go home show for Uncensored 97! Will we be told the rules of the main event? Has Sting joined the nWo? Will DDP get revenge on Macho? Find out tonight! You will see GREG VALENTINE in action as well as the Nitro debut of noted human trafficker HARDBODY HARRISON!

After that it's FABULOUS ONES NIGHT! 90 minutes of FABULOUS ONES ACTION! See Jackie Fargo say "pally" a lot and telling us if people smell! See music videos! See couches! See sculpted men you will go wild for! FABULOUS ONES!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

8 PM for Nitro, 9:30ish for FABULOUS!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

MassRafTer posted:

Tonight we have one Nitro left until Uncensored so that means we have a special night after Nitro!

First up, the go home show for Uncensored 97! Will we be told the rules of the main event? Has Sting joined the nWo? Will DDP get revenge on Macho? Find out tonight! You will see GREG VALENTINE in action as well as the Nitro debut of noted human trafficker HARDBODY HARRISON!

After that it's FABULOUS ONES NIGHT! 90 minutes of FABULOUS ONES ACTION! See Jackie Fargo say "pally" a lot and telling us if people smell! See music videos! See couches! See sculpted men you will go wild for! FABULOUS ONES!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

8 PM for Nitro, 9:30ish for FABULOUS!

quote:

Norris, 41, acted as his own attorney during his trial in federal court.

Awesome.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
To preserve the credibility of the World Tag Team title, Rick Steiner had his partner Judy Bagwell award the title to Kenny Kaos.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, if my memory serves me correctly Saturn straight up hated Kronus. Saturn had a rep as a pretty serious athlete and Kronus had a rep as a lazy partier. He always struggled with his weight and had a lot of drug problems. So I may be misremembering it but I always thought Saturn was actively trying to get away from Kronus. Which is a bit of a shame because they were an awesome tag team and Kronus just went downhill fast once it was done.

Weirdly enough, Saturn himself was on massive amounts of drugs at least in his WWE run:

"The people, for the most part, really enjoyed that Moppy stuff. Unfortunately, I was so high all the time, I have such a clouded memory. I don't remember most of it…All the ideas were the writers. I had no idea. Like I said, I was so stoned all the time, I'm lucky I made it to the shows ,let alone come up with anything creative. WWE has an outstanding creative staff, they come up with stuff. They try to come up with ways to get everybody over and you do or you don't. I didn't have anything to do with that creative because at the time, I really hated it too…Now, I get the humor of it. At the time, my main concern was making sure nobody knew I was high.""

bartok
May 10, 2006

The best part about last night was Miss Nitro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_Rogers_Turner

What a stink that ever did stink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

Red posted:

I like that everybody chimed in on Tank Abbott.

Now do High Voltage!

I swear, once upon a time, they were Rage and Kaos. Then they became Kenny Kaos and Robbie Rage. They were both roided to hell and screamed a lot after slamming guys. Then they had quasi-singles runs. Then they teamed up with other guys.

If I remember correctly, the singles run was initially due to one of them getting hurt at the height (lol) of their popularity. They were starting to get reactions instead of silence and they were hoping to keep it going.

edit: Their "popularity" may have been pumped in, I'm not sure, but I enjoyed them enough for what they were to not analyze it.