Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

me your dad posted:

I still have no idea what you're talking about but that's fine. As long as the number is bigger I am satisfied. What's better than 320? Will we see 460!?

When you look at any given audio file, parts of it are going to be more complex than other parts, meaning parts of it are harder to encode than other parts. More complex parts require a higher bitrate to be accurately encoded.. a lower bitrate will not accurately reflect what is going on in the music and parts of the sound are lost. Because that complexity changes throughout a file, and because higher bitrate files end up larger, encoding an entire audio file at the same high bitrate is inefficient - if you use variable bitrate you can basically "afford" more quality in less space because less complex parts are encoded at a lower bitrate, allowing more room to be used to encode the more complex parts at a higher bitrate. So In Our Modern Times if you are taking an lossless audio file (such as a .wav) and turning it into an .mp3, you should use variable bitrate encoding rather than constant bitrate encoding, as it will be higher quality and less space than if you were to do constant encoding at 320kbps or whatever. Thus referring to the quality of an mp3 in terms of a constant bitrate is inaccurate, which irritates het.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

me your dad posted:

I still have no idea what you're talking about but that's fine. As long as the number is bigger I am satisfied. What's better than 320? Will we see 460!?

Lossless files like FLAC are often 800 to 1000 kbps.

Though, for reasons that multiple people have alteady stated in this thread, that doesn't matter as much.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I tried Beats Music for the seven day trial and man, their library function makes Spotify's lack of one so drat glaring.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

illcendiary posted:

I tried Beats Music for the seven day trial and man, their library function makes Spotify's lack of one so drat glaring.

Honestly, it's basically the only thing from Beats Music that I like more than Spotify. Beats's social options are crippled in comparison, and compounded by the lack of a free option.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

illcendiary posted:

What is the library function?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

me your dad posted:

What is the library function?

Basically, if I like a song or album by an artist, I can add the song or entire album to my "library" for easy access at a later date. Then I can just go to my library and sort by artist, album or song (like in any music player, basically). It makes it feel more like I have a collection of music versus Spotify, where I have to either create a single playlist for an album or access it under "starred" songs, both of which are massively cumbersome in my opinion.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
I've always just starred things as a library and haven't noticed anything different to how I use winamp/itunes/foobar/etc. on my desktop. I usually listen by putting my entire library on shuffle though, so maybe I am weird. If I want to listen to a specific song/album/artist, I just start typing whatever it is on the starred list and it goes to it.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

illcendiary posted:

Basically, if I like a song or album by an artist, I can add the song or entire album to my "library" for easy access at a later date. Then I can just go to my library and sort by artist, album or song (like in any music player, basically). It makes it feel more like I have a collection of music versus Spotify, where I have to either create a single playlist for an album or access it under "starred" songs, both of which are massively cumbersome in my opinion.

The library tab on spotify combines stars, imported music, bought music, or stuff in your playlists. There's an album view too. How is that different?

edit:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Hmmm yeah I don't get how it's different. 99% of the time I shuffle through my gigantic playlist which is my 'music library' and personal radio station of sorts. When I see something I like, or something interesting I'll throw it into the playlist. I can sort and filter as needed.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I star any song I like. The desktop and phone app now both have filter so it's easy to find anything I want to play. It's like a dynamic playlist.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

ambushsabre posted:

The library tab on spotify combines stars, imported music, bought music, or stuff in your playlists. There's an album view too. How is that different?

edit:

I meant on the mobile (specifically iOS) app, not the desktop one. Sorry if that was unclear.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ambushsabre posted:

edit:

It's confusing and kludgy. The Library screen is there, but doesn't match what I'd expect a library to be--a one stop shop for managing music that I care about above "all music that Spotify could possibly play."

There's no way to "add all of King Crimson's discography to my library". I'd have to make a playlist of their discography, or individual playlists for In the Court of the Crimson King, In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, etc. etc., and watch for new releases to make playlists of those, so they get added to my Library. This is stupid. Spotify has already done the work of knowing all of King Crimsons's albums, and knowing when they release new albums (hypothetically, anyway, since they probably won't release new albums and aren't actually available on Spotify at all). Why should I duplicate this effort?

Even if I could do this, but wanted to remove The ConstruKction Of Light, I couldn't. There's no way to remove something from the Library directly, you have to remove it from whatever source the Library's using.

A playlist is a list of things that I want to play for some reason, which is why it's prominently featured on my left bar. This might include music I don't consider to be part of my library: I'm making a party playlist in 2009 and want to include "Bad Romance" because it's popular. That doesn't really mean I actually care about listening to it regularly, but it's now in my Library. If I want to keep the playlist around in case I have an Oughties Party later, tough poo poo.

The Library also isn't good as a Library. You can't limit search to it, and its interface is terrible (album view is gone http://community.spotify.com/t5/Hel...p/367064/page/4 ).

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

scroogle nmaps posted:

It's confusing and kludgy. The Library screen is there, but doesn't match what I'd expect a library to be--a one stop shop for managing music that I care about above "all music that Spotify could possibly play."

There's no way to "add all of King Crimson's discography to my library". I'd have to make a playlist of their discography, or individual playlists for In the Court of the Crimson King, In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, etc. etc., and watch for new releases to make playlists of those, so they get added to my Library. This is stupid. Spotify has already done the work of knowing all of King Crimsons's albums, and knowing when they release new albums (hypothetically, anyway, since they probably won't release new albums and aren't actually available on Spotify at all). Why should I duplicate this effort?

Even if I could do this, but wanted to remove The ConstruKction Of Light, I couldn't. There's no way to remove something from the Library directly, you have to remove it from whatever source the Library's using.

A playlist is a list of things that I want to play for some reason, which is why it's prominently featured on my left bar. This might include music I don't consider to be part of my library: I'm making a party playlist in 2009 and want to include "Bad Romance" because it's popular. That doesn't really mean I actually care about listening to it regularly, but it's now in my Library. If I want to keep the playlist around in case I have an Oughties Party later, tough poo poo.

The Library also isn't good as a Library. You can't limit search to it, and its interface is terrible (album view is gone http://community.spotify.com/t5/Hel...p/367064/page/4 ).

So star things you want in your "library" and use playlists as playlists? You can completely ignore the library button on Spotify. In fact, I didn't even know it existed until earlier today when someone else brought it up. Also, there is a filter search in the Library tab in the top right corner which is pretty much limiting search to your library.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Basically, the overarching point I'm trying to make is that Beats' mobile app allows me to add things to a library on the go. So as long as I'm subscribed to the service, I can essentially create my own browsable library of music without necessarily having the music on my device, and without creating multiple playlists. It's nicely sortable by artist, album or song, which Spotify can't do, desktop app notwithstanding.

My goal with Spotify was to break myself away from my on-an-HDD collection of music, which it has largely enabled me to do. I don't have to mess with syncing music and managing things in iTunes anymore, which is great. The last step remaining in my opinion is to have something like what Beats provides.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

illcendiary posted:

Basically, the overarching point I'm trying to make is that Beats' mobile app allows me to add things to a library on the go. So as long as I'm subscribed to the service, I can essentially create my own browsable library of music without necessarily having the music on my device, and without creating multiple playlists. It's nicely sortable by artist, album or song, which Spotify can't do, desktop app notwithstanding.

My goal with Spotify was to break myself away from my on-an-HDD collection of music, which it has largely enabled me to do. I don't have to mess with syncing music and managing things in iTunes anymore, which is great. The last step remaining in my opinion is to have something like what Beats provides.

But I do exactly this with starred songs on Spotify's mobile app? You can filter songs that you have starred or sort them based on whichever category you want.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

inSTAALed posted:

But I do exactly this with starred songs on Spotify's mobile app? You can filter songs that you have starred or sort them based on whichever category you want.

A little less conducive to browsing, since you have to type to find what you're looking for as opposed to seeing everything in a nice scrollable view.

Seems like a difference in music browsing habits between the two of us, mostly. I'm probably not leaving Spotify, it'd just be nice if they had that feature.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I'm with illcendiary on this one - while the "Starred" playlist can in some way work as a library on desktop, it's not a library in the sense I want it (which is a collection of albums) and definitely not on mobile. Hopefully we'll see this soon enough, though - Spotify has recently asked for beta testers for a Library function, so fingers crossed. All my friends have Spotify and I like being able to share music with them, but man, Rdio has seemed mighty tempting sometimes.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

illcendiary posted:

A little less conducive to browsing, since you have to type to find what you're looking for as opposed to seeing everything in a nice scrollable view.

Seems like a difference in music browsing habits between the two of us, mostly. I'm probably not leaving Spotify, it'd just be nice if they had that feature.

If I filter my starred songs by an artist, I can scroll through only the stuff I have starred from that artist. I can also sort the entirety of what I have starred by album, artist, etc. This works for mobile and desktop app. I think I am just doing a bad job of explaining it, but this seems like what you are trying to do.

EDIT - If you sort by album on the mobile app, it doesn't actually list the name of the album, but it is correctly sorted. I definitely agree the mobile app could use some reformatting, but at least the basic functionality is there.

inSTAALed fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 12, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

inSTAALed posted:

So star things you want in your "library" and use playlists as playlists? You can completely ignore the library button on Spotify. In fact, I didn't even know it existed until earlier today when someone else brought it up. Also, there is a filter search in the Library tab in the top right corner which is pretty much limiting search to your library.

Filter thing must be recent, it wasn't in there before I restarted and still isn't in the mobile app for me. It's nice though.

Starred isn't a great choice for me either, I like that as a hot playlist, and it's good for that, since starring/unstarring is a single click, and starred status is readily apparent everywhere a song is. It shouldn't be a second version of the library.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Honestly, it's basically the only thing from Beats Music that I like more than Spotify. Beats's social options are crippled in comparison, and compounded by the lack of a free option.

The Sentence is basically spotify radio and its free.

I just subbed to Beats Music after my trial and I've been liking it a lot more than spotify recently. I'll see how long I use it though.

E: In terms of mobile apps I like Beats more. Both spotify and beats don't have a lot of stuff I'm into sometimes (obscure remixes or other random genres) so I tend to download those and put them on my phone instead. The only downside is more people I know are on spotify and not beats so it makes sharing stuff a bit more difficult to me.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 12, 2014

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

scroogle nmaps posted:

Filter thing must be recent, it wasn't in there before I restarted and still isn't in the mobile app for me. It's nice though.

Starred isn't a great choice for me either, I like that as a hot playlist, and it's good for that, since starring/unstarring is a single click, and starred status is readily apparent everywhere a song is. It shouldn't be a second version of the library.

If you are on Android, you just scroll up for those options. Not sure about ios, though. Worth a shot!

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
The Spotify library is a piece of poo poo and no excuses can be made for it. Rdio's Collection feature does it so much better:

It has all your artists, albums and songs, you can remove things from here and you can see what albums you've got synced to your mobile. Spotify's playlist based method is just clunky compared to how Rdio does it. Spotify has been working on this same feature for the past 1,5 year and still hasnt managed to release it for some reason.

And Spotify is also great at removing things like view album covers from playlists, which was a helpful feature given the lack of a Collection like Rdio has. They said they were working on some 'cool new things' for their collection feature, and that's why they removed it, but that was in april 2013 so :lol:.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

The Spotify library is a piece of poo poo and no excuses can be made for it. Rdio's Collection feature does it so much better:

It has all your artists, albums and songs, you can remove things from here and you can see what albums you've got synced to your mobile. Spotify's playlist based method is just clunky compared to how Rdio does it. Spotify has been working on this same feature for the past 1,5 year and still hasnt managed to release it for some reason.

And Spotify is also great at removing things like view album covers from playlists, which was a helpful feature given the lack of a Collection like Rdio has. They said they were working on some 'cool new things' for their collection feature, and that's why they removed it, but that was in april 2013 so :lol:.

I'll preface this by saying I am no fanboy loyalist to Spotify. I'd jump ship the moment something better came along. I did that with MOG when Spotify came out because Spotify seemed to offer more.

That said, I still don't see a major difference in your screenshot and what Spotify offers. In my Playlist ("Collection") I can sort by artists. How is that different than what you posted? The album covers? Are they really that important?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I came across a spotify... anomaly?

https://play.spotify.com/album/5OP9ptLXSLPOWw1hsP8Umd

What the hell is this? I thought at first it might be a joke but just listen to this. I can't find anything on the interwebs about what it might be.

edit - I hope the link works. If not, look up an album entitled "fight" by "Love Is All", not to be confused with the actual band Love is All despite them being filed together by Spotify for some reason.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What the hell is this? I thought at first it might be a joke but just listen to this. I can't find anything on the interwebs about what it might be.

edit - I hope the link works. If not, look up an album entitled "fight" by "Love Is All", not to be confused with the actual band Love is All despite them being filed together by Spotify for some reason.
I mean, iTunes has the same thing so it doesn't seem Spotify-specific. I don't know the band either way so I dunno what's off about this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fight/id807369962

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Hahahaha, what the gently caress is this...!

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

me your dad posted:

I'll preface this by saying I am no fanboy loyalist to Spotify. I'd jump ship the moment something better came along. I did that with MOG when Spotify came out because Spotify seemed to offer more.

That said, I still don't see a major difference in your screenshot and what Spotify offers. In my Playlist ("Collection") I can sort by artists. How is that different than what you posted? The album covers? Are they really that important?

You can't sort by artist on mobile.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Eight Is Legend posted:

You can both sort and filter by artist (or whatever you want) on mobile. Maybe this is an Android app only feature? It has been there for ages, though.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

:v:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 19, 2014

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Yeah, ok, then that's an Android only feature.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

het posted:

I mean, iTunes has the same thing so it doesn't seem Spotify-specific. I don't know the band either way so I dunno what's off about this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fight/id807369962

Apparently they all just bulk import the data from the labels, who have yet to realize that bands sometimes have the same names and need uuids or something to properly separate them.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Well, hopefully this will bring some improvements to its recommendation system: Spotify acquires The Echo Nest to build a better music discovery engine, will keep API free for developers

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Does anyone know of a way to search for people based on their Spotify account name, instead of searching through Facebook contacts? That's pretty screwed up if there's not a way to track people down without tying Facebook to the app.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?
What ever happened to that new desktop UI? It's the middle of March now and I still haven't received it. Did they abandon it?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

FAILURE posted:

What ever happened to that new desktop UI? It's the middle of March now and I still haven't received it. Did they abandon it?

A Spotify employee over at Reddit said that its still in the testing phase and should be rolled out soon, together with Collections (which they promised was 'coming soon' in december 2012 :lol: ).

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
You can download the new design here: http://us.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/1u6i5q/spotify_098_new_black_design_for_mac_and_windows/

Not much (if anything?) has changed functionality wise, but it looks pretty cool. Remember to say no the upgrade when it prompts you, it's actually a downgrade.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I would advise against using that. Other than being :filez: (in terms of installing poo poo you can't trust from warez sites, not stealing software), it might not look perfect for you if your account doesn't have certain features enabled that the new client assumes you do. Like Charlie Mopps mentioned, collection will rollout with the new client so it will be kinda weird if you don't have collection enabled for you.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I think they are already rolling out Collections. Since yesterday i've got a 'Your Music' below the apps:

and a new button to save music to it:

Clicking on artists give you this:

which can be sorted by name, recently added and most played.

Clicking on the name gives you a list of all songs you saved to 'your music'.

Albums gives you this:

and clicking on the name once again gives you a list of songs.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Is the new UI faster than the old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is the new UI faster than the old?

Probably not since it appears to be mostly web/HTTP based under the hood.

• Locked thread