Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hey guess what you can eat all the BBQ you want if you go to the gym and do something about it. Amazingly no matter what you eat if you're a lazy sack of poo poo you'll be fat!

Topical words: I have 2lbs of chorizo that I'm going to be wrapping in bacon and smoking. Hickory Chorizo Burgers absolutely own. I highly suggest everyone smoke a loaf and put it on a chibata bun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Digital_Jesus posted:

Hey guess what you can eat all the BBQ you want if you go to the gym and do something about it. Amazingly no matter what you eat if you're a lazy sack of poo poo you'll be fat!

Topical words: I have 2lbs of chorizo that I'm going to be wrapping in bacon and smoking. Hickory Chorizo Burgers absolutely own. I highly suggest everyone smoke a loaf and put it on a chibata bun.

I look at it the opposite way... If you eat all the BBQ you can, you have an excuse to go to the gym!

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
We're trying Pepper Stout Beef today. I've had my eye on the recipe since someone posted it here several months back. I had to dig my smoker out of the snow, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I put a brisket on my wsm an hour ago. Already 145 degrees and climbing. What in the hell is going on? :suicide:

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

bunnielab posted:

My take away from that is that there is a world of smoked meats out there I have never even heard of. I have a near limitless supply of grape vines, can I smoke over them?

Is that you, Michael Chiarello?

It's too drat cold to smoke a meat. Smoke a cheese instead.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Crazyeyes posted:

I put a brisket on my wsm an hour ago. Already 145 degrees and climbing. What in the hell is going on? :suicide:

What is the temp of the smoker? Are you using a real thermometer instead of the one on the lid? How cool was the brisket when you put it on? Also, where are you measuring the temp of your brisket?

Regardless, when it hits 170 or so and starts stalling it'll take a long, long time, so unless you're above 275 or so in your smoker it's probably not an issue.

edit: Drink another beer, give no fucks, keep calm and smoke on.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Dukket posted:

We're trying Pepper Stout Beef today. I've had my eye on the recipe since someone posted it here several months back. I had to dig my smoker out of the snow, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

On the smoker with a chunk of apple until it hit 160F, transferred to a bed of bell peppers, red onion, jalapeno, worcestershire sauce, and beer. Put it in the oven @ 350 until it was pullable. Turned very well.

whowhodillybar
Apr 22, 2008
:wrongful:
SHUT UP, TARD
I tried my hand at turning a 19lb fresh hog leg into a new years day ham this year.

Cured for about two weeks in a delicious bath of salt, brown sugar, molasses, and sodium nitrite then into the smoker until it got up to 140 degrees. I put it in a covered pan in the oven and finished it up to 160. I gave it a nice glaze with an apricot, honey, and brown sugar concoction.

and the finished product

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Has anyone had any issues with some of the "seasoning" inside the smoker coming off? I was smoking a brisket and flakes from inside the smoker came off. I started the smoker Saturday night (ambient temp was ~65F) and had the smoker up and going at 230F. During the night, a cold front came through and it dropped the outside temp to ~38F and it was raining. It looked like where the rain was hitting it was causing a weird temp difference that was causing it to flake off. I don't know. It was weird. It came off of the brisket without any issues and wasn't metallic or anything.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

That "seasoning" is probably creosote if it's coming off in giant flakes and you should clean that nasty poo poo with soap and water (then fix the exhaust venting in your smoker).

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Its crazy how good the smoked jalapeño poppers wrapped in bacon are. Everybody at my party was raving about them. I need to be making these every time I fire up the smoker.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Digital_Jesus posted:

That "seasoning" is probably creosote if it's coming off in giant flakes and you should clean that nasty poo poo with soap and water (then fix the exhaust venting in your smoker).

I would also recomend getting a can of olive oil spray used for baking and spraying the inside of the smoker down with it after you get done with a smoke and are about to put it away. Helps protect against rust and if you rinse off the smoker before firing it up the next time it won't add any adverse flavors.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

whowhodillybar posted:

and the finished product

That is a fine looking ham dude. Bet it was awesome. I do something similar (on a smaller scale) at Christmas and it goes faster than the turkey, usually.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

coronaball posted:

Its crazy how good the smoked jalapeño poppers wrapped in bacon are. Everybody at my party was raving about them. I need to be making these every time I fire up the smoker.

Yah, I always try to have some ABT's going whenever I make ribs or pulled pork. They're amazing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

coronaball posted:

Last time I made them I ended up with like 90% super mild A&M pepper and like 10% really hot normal ones. It became a great game we played, shoving a whole one in your mouth and waiting.

whowhodillybar
Apr 22, 2008
:wrongful:
SHUT UP, TARD

Saltin posted:

That is a fine looking ham dude. Bet it was awesome. I do something similar (on a smaller scale) at Christmas and it goes faster than the turkey, usually.

The interesting part for me was that I sort of walked into that by surprise. The wife told me she had an option of a fresh ham or smoked ham as a Christmas gift from work. I convinced her to go the fresh ham route (thinking it was an uncooked, cured "ham") and she ended up bringing home that 19 pound hog leg a couple days before Christmas. I didn't want to ruin the chance to make a free delicious homemade ham by just cooking/smoking the thing into a giant bone-in pork chop or large amount of pulled pork. So I bought some curing salt, asked around for a bit of guidance, and made the ham. It was quite a bit of work, which also took up quite a bit of room in my fridge while curing. But it was worth every bit of effort. I will happily try it again in the future, most likely on a much smaller scale.

On another note, thank you for all of the great discussions on this thread. I have picked up quite the bit of tips and would like share a bit of my 'projects' I have been inspired to work on over the past few months.

Lets start with the ol' botson butt

done up a couple ways...

Pulled pork on smoked Mac n Cheese

followed by pulled pork quesadillas

Pulled pork shepherds pie

with more mac n cheese, of course

Moving onto ribs

....and the rib calzone

Smoked meatloaf and brisket, why the hell not?

Finishing with a breakfast fatty

I caramelized onions in maple syrup, and rolled it up with eggs, hash browns, bacon and green peppers into that (heat attack waiting to happen) fatty

Bonus, my Dexter murder table prepping station!

Also 56k warning...sorry if I shitted this page up with too many pictures.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
A+ effort there. Wanna eat that Mac n cheese

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

whowhodillybar posted:

It's 2014, old man. Nice meat.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I'm renewing my CCNP next week, so I thought I'd get in the spirit with my meat smoking that's happening this week too.

Smoking live, wirelessly over the internet in about 24 hours from this post. Heatermeter is running already:

http://82.6.249.64/luci

Two 5 pound pork shoulders and a 7 pound brisket. I would do bigger but the pork shoulders are the biggest I could buy off the shelf in the UK, and the brisket was a special order as the biggest I could buy off the shelf was 2.5 pounds. Its unfair :(
I havent yet used the heatermeter as I only built it yesterday, but it already seems awesome and the idea of automating my smoke and being able to go out to the shops without worrying if something has caught fire or the temperature is wrong is pretty cool already.

Edit: It was so good.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 10, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Behold my Cold Smoker Mk 1!

I haven't been happy with how my bacon comes out when I hot smoke it and I had all these block laying around and a free weekend so here we are. It is ugly as sin but it does work. It is way too fussy to control the air intake so Mk 2 will have an improved opening/vent for the fire box.

I have never attempted this before and would love any advice involving time, temp, and air control.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

bunnielab posted:

I haven't been happy with how my bacon comes out when I hot smoke it and I had all these block laying around and a free weekend so here we are. It is ugly as sin but it does work. It is way too fussy to control the air intake so Mk 2 will have an improved opening/vent for the fire box.

I have never attempted this before and would love any advice involving time, temp, and air control.

Holy crap! What a mess.

I love it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

bunnielab posted:

This is so awesome.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bunnielab posted:

Chiming in to say this is great.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Jellus. I wish I had a yard. :/

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

You might be a redneck if.jpg
It is awesome. You put in some effort, I just went out and bought a crappy smoker.

Going to smoke some pheasant today, will try to give a report.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I have some pork sausages from Costco that I'd like to cook along side some turkey legs tomorrow on the big green egg. I'll be cooking them at 250F. Does anyone have any tips for me? How long should it take (approximately)? I figure can put them on halfway through my 3 hour turkey leg cook and they should be fine, and the cherry wood should work well for both the turkey and the sausage.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I impulse bought a duck at Costco the other day, now I want to cook it on my WSM. Anybody got a good recipe/technique? the Amazing Ribs guy is no help on duck. I imagine you cook at it at 275 or so like you would a chicken?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

coronaball posted:

I Made some of these a few weeks ago. Everybody loved them. They may become my new food I take to parties.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i cannot wait for this sucky winter to be over so i can start smoking again. Arrrgh. I want to make nice smoked bacon.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

whowhodillybar posted:

Finishing with a breakfast fatty

I caramelized onions in maple syrup, and rolled it up with eggs, hash browns, bacon and green peppers into that (heat attack waiting to happen) fatty

That breakfast fatty sounds awesome. I may have to give something like that a try.

56k?? Seriously?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

coronaball posted:

I impulse bought a duck at Costco the other day, now I want to cook it on my WSM. Anybody got a good recipe/technique? the Amazing Ribs guy is no help on duck. I imagine you cook at it at 275 or so like you would a chicken?

The only duck I have smoked were tiny little ones, not much more then a pound each. I rubbed them with salt, black pepper, and 5 Spice and sat them in the fridge for an afternoon. Then I made a glaze with the same spices and some agave syrup and smoked them at 275-300 for maybe an hour or two until they hit like 155ish. Then to crisp the skins we piled a poo poo ton of coal from the bonfire into a little brick hutch, threw a grill on top and kept the ducks moving on in until the skin tightened.

They were amazing and totally worth all the mud holes they dug in the yard. I still have one in the freezer and about 5 necks I need to do something with.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Yeah, in short; duck is not chicken. It has a massive amount of fat that you have to deal with. Also the skin is delicious and if you don't render the fat under it, it will be soggy. It's not insurmountable, but smoking is not going to do all of that. You will have to do more, or just waste the skin and wind up with a kind of smoky confit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Actually the yard ducks had very very little fat. Shockingly little but idk what really determines how fat a duck is. These were like half way between wild ducks and farm ducks so who knows. They were also pretty young, less then a year old, when we killed them so maybe that has some effect? Duck fat is mysterious stuff.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only time I've cooked a duck I did what Alton Brown suggests to do which is score the skin and sit the duck in a strainer above boiling water. The fat runs out into the boiling water and the duck can now be cooked with minimal amount of fat in it. It still came out amazingly juicy and delicious, and the duck fat saved well in the pot.

I imagine that'd work for smoking.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Looks like those local highland beef farmers got some brisket for me. A 12lbs one, but it's 80 euros. They want the same for a 5.5lbs piece of chuck. Pretty expensive, but possibly the only brisket I'll find in 2014.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I love brisket and I like to think I am a decent bbq'er, but man there's no way I would spend that much money on something as hard to cook as brisket. And properly done brisket might be the best BBQ in existence in my book.

That kind of money should be saved for something equivalent to usda prime and definitely dry aged. Smoke cheap meats.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Finland is weird, I've complained about it before so I'll spare you another rant.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looks like those local highland beef farmers got some brisket for me. A 12lbs one, but it's 80 euros. They want the same for a 5.5lbs piece of chuck. Pretty expensive, but possibly the only brisket I'll find in 2014.

poo poo man. For that money can you not just take a train/boat to England and smuggle meat back?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Once my house is built and I got a freezer of decent size I will try and get in one of those group buys where a few people buy a whole cow and divide it up. Given the lousy taste in meat that finns got I bet I get the brisket & chuck all to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Mmmm. Brisket. I looove me a good smoked brisket.

Spring cant come soon enough