Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004
So there was no music festival thread 2014. Festival season is almost upon us. I’ve been doing this for a few years and I try to make as many as I can, but I’ve went from Ohio to northwest Florida, so there is a lot less going around near me.

My tentative plan for this year includes any shows that make it out to this area and a few Ratdog dates in March. In addition, we primarily attend shows at the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park in Live Oak, Florida. It is an amazing venue, although being in Florida means it is less wild than shows I’ve attended in the midwest. We are going to Aura, Wanee, and Hulaween all at Suwanee this year.

Aura is valentine's day weekend. It’s got a lot of electronic rock bands, and a lot of great music. Wanee is the alman brothers festival in April and is the largest event they throw each year. Hulaween is an event put on by the String Cheese Incident and this year was the first year at SoSMP and it was amazing, with the venue decorated by the people who put on Electric Forest. Besides that we will try to attend one out of state festival; most likely Wakarusa or Interocken this year. In ideal world, I’ll do something awesome in the fall. I’m currently thinking Widespread Panic tour.

Here is a tentative list of music festivals. https://www.jambase.com is a fantastic resourse for finding live music. Mostly I am aware of larger festivals and festivals in the midwest that I’ve attended. Post / message me if you know of anything that should be added.

Feb 14-16 Aura Live Oak, FL
March 7-16 South by Southwest Austin, TX
March 21-22 Boku Music & Arts ProjectNew Orleans
March 27-30 Hoopla In the Hills Athens, OH
April 10-14 Wanee Live Oak, FL
April 11-13, April 18-20 Coachella Indio, CA SA Thread SOLD OUT!
April 23-27 Moogfest Asheville, NC
April 25 - May 4 Jazz Fest New Orleans
May 16-18 Hangout Music Festival Gulf Shores, AL
May 22-26 Lightning in a Bottle California
May 23-25 Summer Camp Chillicothe, IL
June 6-8 Wakarusa Ozark, AR
June 12-15 Bonnaroo Manchester, TN
June 26-29 Electric Forest Rothbury, MI
June 31 - August 3 Gathering of the Vibes Bridgeport, CT
August 1-3 Lollapalooza Chicago, IL
August 14-17 The Peach Festival Scranton, PA
August ?? Outsidelands San Francisco, CA
August 25 - September 1 Burning Man Black Rock City, NV SA Thread
September ?? Symbiosis TBA
Comedy Option Gathering of the Juggalos

Majik Ninja fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
I'll be here: http://www.moogfest.com/

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm going to try my damndest to get to Austin psyc fest (May 2-4). Please tell me about your experiences!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Was at Hulaween at Suwanee last October and I was really impressed with that venue. Definitely going back next year. Another buddy of mine is lobbying hard to come back out for other stuff like Aura and Bear creek. Thinkin' about it. I'm currently looking at Jazzfest (lineup out on Tuesday), Waka and maybe EFF mostly to follow around the band I like which is rumored to be playing.

Need those tour announcements and lineups! :banjo:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i'm going to Glastonbury and there's a very slim chance i'll get to boomtown as well

praying for poo poo pyramid headliners for Glastonbury so I don't feel morally obligated to stand next to thousands of other morally obligated people and can just get hosed up in a stone circle with some crusty hippies or go mental in Shangri-La instead

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's spelled Buku Music and Arts Project, not Boku ;) I'm gonna try to go to that because Explosions in the Sky, The Flaming Lips and a bunch of fun EDM acts are playing that.

Also there's The Voodoo Experience from October 31st to November 2nd here in New Orleans. I go almost every year and I'll probably go again this year. The lineup hasn't been announced and they've been getting less and less packed with good artists in the last few years, but there's always at least a handful of acts that I want to see, like last year I got to see Calvin Harris, The Cure, New Found Glory, Nine Inch Nails and a few others, so it'll probably be worth going to even if there's only one or two big acts I want to see.

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!
No details have been revealed about this year's lineup/dates, but FYF Fest in LA is always a good time. At about $99 (recently raised price) for the weekend, it is still a better deal than some other festivals. Will be probably be sometime in the end of August.

http://fyffest.com/

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Osheaga is the premiere festival in Canada, taking place at Parc Jean Drapeau in Montreal over the first weekend in August. It's expanded up to 6-7 stages now including two gigantic side by side ones and an assortment of side stages in the woods and parkland. It's quite successful, having sold out the past two years, mainly because they are leaning towards major pop acts/EDM and the fact there's really no competing festival in Toronto.

Tickets are likely $225 for a 3 day pass or $90 each day. Lineup will closely mirror Lollapalooza because a lot of bands will go from one fest to the other.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Jazz Fest lineup came out, String Cheese, Springsteen, Phish, John Fogerty, Dumpstaphunk, Galactic, Greensky Bluegrass, Infamous Stringdusters. Single days only for the jam bands. Phish the first week (Friday or Sat, can't load the page to double check), Cheese the second (Thursday).

...:rock:Robin Thicke:rock:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Firefly looks to have a pretty solid lineup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yshz28Bvy2E

Really hope they can get their act together since last year was supposedly a big mess.

AAB fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 14, 2014

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Im from MD and usually take the trek to 'Roo, but this year I may have to just go to Firefly. Pretty much on my to-do list is to see Foo Fighters since Dave Ghrol is awesome, but also on my todo has been Local Natives, Portugal and Band of Horses. Lots of other acts I may not go to if it was a one off show, but would love to see if I have the chance. Looks solid.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shaky Knees Festival announced today.

Between Edward Sharpe, Dawes, Violent Femmes, Dropkick Murphys, Jason Isbell, and The Devil Makes Three, this is extremely enticing. No idea about the venue though, I'm not very familiar with Atlanta. Atlantic Station appears to be a shopping district.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
It's kind of the antithesis to a lot of these fests, but this year I'm heading to Iceland to check out ATP. I've always wanted to go to one of these events and always wanted to go to Iceland so it's a great marriage of interests. Only 5000 people, got my accom booked with my ticket walking distance from the fest. July 10-12 in Keflavik, Iceland.
Only a few names so far, but I'm totally down with the lineup

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Elrobot posted:

It's kind of the antithesis to a lot of these fests, but this year I'm heading to Iceland to check out ATP. I've always wanted to go to one of these events and always wanted to go to Iceland so it's a great marriage of interests. Only 5000 people, got my accom booked with my ticket walking distance from the fest. July 10-12 in Keflavik, Iceland.
Only a few names so far, but I'm totally down with the lineup

:stare:

I'm planning a trip with my girlfriend to go to Iceland in April! Unfortunately gonna miss this. drat. Seeing something like this while I'm there would be awesome.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Really hope they can get their act together since last year was supposedly a big mess.

Go to Firefly and see twenty one pilots tia

They own so hard

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've got myself tickets to Sonisphere Festival in Knebworth this year, so Far the line-up is mostly band's I can have fun with (Metallica,Slayer,Iron Maiden, Prodigy) but I'm not huge fans off.

It'll be my first festival not staying in the main campsite so I'm quite excited.

Oh I forgot this day festival as well, Send more paramedics are my favourite band so I can't wait...

Gaz2k21 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 18, 2014

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Mr. Tibbs posted:

No details have been revealed about this year's lineup/dates, but FYF Fest in LA is always a good time. At about $99 (recently raised price) for the weekend, it is still a better deal than some other festivals. Will be probably be sometime in the end of August.

http://fyffest.com/

My dude!

Polkergeist
Sep 2, 2011

The Strokes. Outkast, Janelle Monae... this lineup could hardly be better.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Polkergeist posted:

Oh my God. That lineup is filthy. I thought Firefly had me captivated. Chance the Rapper, Lucius, OUTKAST!? I may seriously try to stack this with Electric Forest for my festivals this year.

dead56k
Sep 23, 2009

the seduction of america's youth

incoherent posted:

I'm going to try my damndest to get to Austin psyc fest (May 2-4). Please tell me about your experiences!

psych fest is excellent. the ranch that it takes place on is perfect. one of the stages is set up at the bottom of a big hill right in front of a creek, and the acoustics are really nice for an outdoor venue. the festival is super relaxed; you can walk in and out. after one act, we walked to our car (which was parked 50 yards from the entrance), and drank beers out of our car trunk until Acid Mothers Temple was getting ready to play. from right outside we could still hear the other bands playing.

near the end of the night, no one was even checking wristbands. we walked in with extra beers in our hands and no one seemed to care. I'm going all three days this year for sure, it seems really worth it. they haven't even announced the second round of acts yet.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Polkergeist posted:

I'm going to try to get the money together for this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Primavera Sound fest in Spain just posted their lineup and holy poo poo. I really wish I could afford going to Spain this year.

http://prettymuchamazing.com/news/primavera-sound-2014-lineup

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm going this year. Anyone been? Any advice?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Would love to see Slowdive and Pional, hopefully I'll get a chance to see Pional some time this year (highly, highly unlikely... have they ever even performed in the US?), Spain is too far to go for me
e: John Wizards too

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Got travel and accommodation sorted for Primavera. Can't loving wait. Friend wants to get the gold tickets but I don't see the point. Anyone here got experience of this?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Sasquatch lineup came out. I've got tickets for May, thinking about jumping in for July too.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thats like two different festivals and should be name such. That being said, those are great lineups.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

incoherent posted:

Thats like two different festivals and should be name such. That being said, those are great lineups.

Yeah it's a bit confusing since it's the first year splitting up into two weekends. I kinda wish they had the old format of 4 days on Memorial Day weekend, but both lineups are pretty good at least.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
They added more to the Moogfest lineup. Just gets better and better, and they're still not finished!

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
For people doing Moog: this weird ATL blog is doing a flash sale with full five day/night passes for $100 (as opposed to the normal $300)

Yes, it's legit. I can attest for it and so can a bunch of my friends

http://clatl.com/cribnotes/archives/2014/02/06/moogfest-2014-flash-sale

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
There's a TCC festival thread going on as well.. I have a feeling I'll be defaulting most my posting to that thread.

Lightning in a Bottle is going to be near Bradley, CA this year (central california coast). Earlybird tickets on sale Feb 18th at 10am on their website.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

http://www.austinpsychfest.com/

Second round of acts for Austin psych fest is up. Panda bear/Brian Jonestown/the War on Drugs/dandy warhols/Of Montreal.

Pretty legit.

e: i'd be very surprised if Anico isn't playing or announced on the final leg.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

mitztronic posted:

Would love to see Slowdive and Pional, hopefully I'll get a chance to see Pional some time this year (highly, highly unlikely... have they ever even performed in the US?), Spain is too far to go for me
e: John Wizards too

Pional tours with John Talabot, saw them play Talabot stuff together in Chicago, no idea if he does his own stuff in America though.

Also that entire primevera lineup and the second day lineup of sasquatch are incredible. First day is pretty good too.

seriously that list of artists in a row of jon hopkins/gold panda/majical cloudz/duke dumont/oneohtrix point never is insane

uggy fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 12, 2014

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
This is gonna own really really hard:

Also Drake announced Outkast will headline OVO Fest, which makes it about 99% likely they will be at Osheaga as well. Word is Spiritualized and possibly Nick Cave on the Osheaga lineup too.

Edit: forgot to add TURF

Bliggers- fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 19, 2014

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I saw "Garrison" and got excited that might have been Halifax. Of course, why would that have ever been a possibility. :( Hopefully the Pop Explosion line-up whenever it gets released -- yeah, I know it's towards the end of the year in October -- makes up for nothing big-name ever happening here any other time of the year.

Anybody here go to Evolve near Antigonish, NS? This will be my third year in a row and although I felt the security last year made the experience far less packed full of good vibes than the year before, it was still a lot of fun and won't deter me from returning yet!

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Wasn't there some 2 day festival at the Citadel the last few years around July? Summersonic or something? Plus there have been some serious bands playing the public gardens; Macca, KISS, etc

Anyways you should definitely go to this: http://sappyfest.com/news/

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Reminder that the Bonnaroo lineup is being announced starting at 9:00 Eastern tonight. I don't know why they can't just release a poster and be done with it like everyone else, but from 7-9 there's some preshow on Youtube and then from 9-9:30 they say what the lineup is. It's called Blam! if you try to look for it.

Heavily rumored headliners are Elton John and Kanye West, which I'm not all that excited about, but the undercard is mainly why I go anyway.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper

Bliggers- posted:

Wasn't there some 2 day festival at the Citadel the last few years around July? Summersonic or something? Plus there have been some serious bands playing the public gardens; Macca, KISS, etc

Anyways you should definitely go to this: http://sappyfest.com/news/

Yeah, I remember that. It was mostly stuff I'm not really into though, like Metallica and Weezer and maybe some others I believe? I do remember going to see Dinosaur Jr, Metric and Hey Rosetta! on the Common for free though years ago, that was pretty excellent. Thank you whichever band had to pull out for making it a free event! (I want to say R.E.M. but I could be way, way off base here...)

I keep meaning to check out Sappyfest but every time it's rolled around I've never had the money. :( I actually went to Mount Allison so it's pretty inexcusable that I haven't done so already I think. Great music scene there too for such a tiny town!

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?

Did That on Television posted:

Yeah, I remember that. It was mostly stuff I'm not really into though, like Metallica and Weezer and maybe some others I believe? I do remember going to see Dinosaur Jr, Metric and Hey Rosetta! on the Common for free though years ago, that was pretty excellent. Thank you whichever band had to pull out for making it a free event! (I want to say R.E.M. but I could be way, way off base here...)

It was The Tragically Hip who pulled out at the last minute. Death in the family, if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office

thrawn527 posted:

Reminder that the Bonnaroo lineup is being announced starting at 9:00 Eastern tonight. I don't know why they can't just release a poster and be done with it like everyone else, but from 7-9 there's some preshow on Youtube and then from 9-9:30 they say what the lineup is. It's called Blam! if you try to look for it.

Heavily rumored headliners are Elton John and Kanye West, which I'm not all that excited about, but the undercard is mainly why I go anyway.

Strange lineup to me, but I'll be there.

• Locked thread