Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Jo3sh posted:

I account for their mass when doing temperature calculations, and I add them to the tun before the grain with the hope that they will be distributed toward the bottom of the grain bed.

I'm a long way from doing anything beyong kit batches I think... but knowledge is knowledge.. What do you mean you account during calculations?

Edit: Oh God new page: A picture from my first ever home brew, a Caribou Slobber (full size is GIANT)

Capt. Sticl fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Capt. Sticl posted:

I'm a long way from doing anything beyong kit batches I think... but knowledge is knowledge.. What do you mean you account during calculations?

Edit: Oh God new page: A picture from my first ever home brew, a Caribou Slobber (full size is GIANT)

I believe he means that when you are trying to calculate strike water temp or change the temp of your mash you need to include the mass of rice hulls along with the rest of your grain.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jo3sh posted:

A pound in the grist for a five-gallon batch has always worked for me. I account for their mass when doing temperature calculations, and I add them to the tun before the grain with the hope that they will be distributed toward the bottom of the grain bed.

Trying to get rice hulls at the bottom that way is both impossible if you stir anywhere near enough during water additions, and non ideal since the gummyness adds resistance throughout and hulls are supposed to give a backbone for the solution to give up the wheaty bits and catch a path down to where you need it.

I've always heard to add them with your final addition, although earlier might make it was easier to stir for the same reasons it makes it drain.

Alternatively my buddy did a protein rest over the weekend on a >50% wheat beer and it ended up more fluid than all my normal mashes like some sort of magic.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Thufir posted:

I believe he means that when you are trying to calculate strike water temp or change the temp of your mash you need to include the mass of rice hulls along with the rest of your grain.

Yeah, that.

Basically, I have a spreadsheet that I use to calculate my water temperatures and volumes. The idea is that, in my rig, if I want to have a mash settle at x temperature, I mix together volume a of water at b temperature and weight q of grain at r temperature. When doing these calculations, I have to include the weight of the rice hulls in q - but of course, they have 0 potential extract and don't affect the gravity of the beer, so I leave them out of those calculations.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

zedprime posted:

Trying to get rice hulls at the bottom that way is both impossible if you stir anywhere near enough during water additions, and non ideal since the gummyness adds resistance throughout and hulls are supposed to give a backbone for the solution to give up the wheaty bits and catch a path down to where you need it.

I've always heard to add them with your final addition, although earlier might make it was easier to stir for the same reasons it makes it drain.

Alternatively my buddy did a protein rest over the weekend on a >50% wheat beer and it ended up more fluid than all my normal mashes like some sort of magic.

Yeah, they do always seem to end up evenly distributed, which I guess means the mash gets stirred enough. But that's what I have done anyway.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Catastrophe posted:

Behold the toilet wine:

I'm doing a personal experiment with toilet wines, since I got the "Spike Your Juice" kit you mentioned for Christmas. So far, here are my results:

Bottom line for all of these is to taste daily. Once it gets where you like it, refrigerate and drink quickly. It's only a day room temperature between too sweet and too dry, and it's only a week in the fridge before something tasty becomes something bland.

Tart and sweet, with very little alcohol taste. Excellent all on its own at 4.8% ABV, though I added a half-cup of lemon juice for balance. I drank this happily during and after dinner!

Delicious but only if stopped very sweet. Past that, there's a hot alcohol taste. Might be a good mixer for a punch. Once it developed the harsh alcohols, it mixed well with orange juice.

Satan's anus. Terrible flavors and aromas all throughout. I gave it an extra month to try and let the aromas off-gas, but it never got better.

Any requests? I have an apple juice ready to go that I'll start Friday so I can take it to an event Tuesday, but I'm willing to try others too.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm doing an Ocean Spray Cranberry lovely wine batch as a starter for some Skeeter Pee. Pitched a packet of Montrachet, I'm hoping it'll build up enough yeast to get a good slurry for the lemon juice.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

more falafel please posted:

Is there a time after which it's too late to plant hops? I'm in Chicago, and I'm moving into a new house in mid-April. I could plant pretty much immediately after that, and it's probably going to be no more than 4 weeks after last frost.
I live in Florida, but last year my preordered hops didn't even ship until April 4th, arrived on about the 10th and went into the ground the weekend after that. So yeah mid-April will be fine. They sprouted a week or two after that and were over 20 feet tall by July. Harvested about 10-12oz of wet hops between two plants which ended up being like 2 or 3 ounces dry.

I have no way of testing the AA but they were pretty mild. The centennial was okish but the cascade was downright undetectable in a finished brew. First year hops though. I didn't do anything to take care of them other than fertilizer once every two months (hey, I forgot, ok?) and fretting about something that was eating holes in the leaves early on.

My advice is to make sure where you plant them is where you want them forever. An armadillo has been digging in the beds recently and I can see those tiny rhizomes are almost spilling out of the 2x6ft raised planter I made for them. I mean it is insane how dense the root system is now and I bet this year they're going to swallow my house. Once they're in for a year, you're never going to be able to move them without a giant excavation.

EDIT: Moneyshot. July 16th

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 19, 2014

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Got my first Bree going and so far so good. I'm amazed by how easy the entire process is. Fermented is going good and it's smelling great.

I did get a carboy to do a 2nd stage. Any easy way to tell when I should syphon it over?

Also, any tips on cleaning bottle? I've saved a bunch but they aren't the cleanes. Looking around it seems like working in oxiclean and then sanitizing is a good way to go?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Harminoff posted:

Got my first Bree going and so far so good. I'm amazed by how easy the entire process is. Fermented is going good and it's smelling great.

I did get a carboy to do a 2nd stage. Any easy way to tell when I should syphon it over?

Also, any tips on cleaning bottle? I've saved a bunch but they aren't the cleanes. Looking around it seems like working in oxiclean and then sanitizing is a good way to go?
The best time to siphon to a secondary is usually never.

If they are of questionable cleanliness oxiclean soak is a decent way to get out any gunk.

The easiest way is to rinse out while everything's still wet from the last beverage that was contained and store. Either rinse again before sanitizing to get the dust out, or use enough sanitizer that you're comfortable its getting the dust out before it is sanitizing (as opposed to just spritzing with enough to wet the surface).

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Thank you. What's the reason behind not using a secondary?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Harminoff posted:

The benefit doesn't generally outweigh the risk of oxidation and infection from moving your beer.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Who here has set up a closed-loop system for use with a wort chiller? Is it worth it? I'm trying to reduce my water waste.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

illcendiary posted:

Who here has set up a closed-loop system for use with a wort chiller? Is it worth it? I'm trying to reduce my water waste.

I tried it for a while. It takes about 10 pounds of ice for every gallon of wort you want to bring to pitching temp from a boil. It turned out not to be worth it for me.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Harminoff posted:

I secondary only when I'm making additions, like cocoa nibs or dry hopping. I always cold crash and rack off when bottling/kegging though.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

zedprime posted:

The easiest way is to rinse out while everything's still wet from the last beverage that was contained and store. Either rinse again before sanitizing to get the dust out, or use enough sanitizer that you're comfortable its getting the dust out before it is sanitizing (as opposed to just spritzing with enough to wet the surface).

If you store bottles upside down in six pack carriers you don't have to worry about dust getting in the bottles post rinse. Just make sure they're dry first so you don't weaken the carrier.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

Midorka posted:

I secondary only when I'm making additions, like cocoa nibs or dry hopping. I always cold crash and rack off when bottling/kegging though.

Oh snap, i just dry hopped an Irish Red in primary. I know there are lots of differing opinions about using secondary at all, but can you explain why you use it for dry hopping, just so I have something to look out for/worry about*? It's been in primary for eight days and gone from 1.049-1.011, so I'm confident that fermentation is complete, although it does have some clearing to do.

*Totally not gonna worry about it. I'm past that point with this brew. Just curious.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Skitz posted:

Oh snap, i just dry hopped an Irish Red in primary. I know there are lots of differing opinions about using secondary at all, but can you explain why you use it for dry hopping, just so I have something to look out for/worry about*? It's been in primary for eight days and gone from 1.049-1.011, so I'm confident that fermentation is complete, although it does have some clearing to do.

*Totally not gonna worry about it. I'm past that point with this brew. Just curious.

Dry hopping in primary will make most the hoppyness that you would get from dry hopping scrub off in the c02 because of the main ferment. The only drawback from dryhopping in secondary is sometimes you might get a grassy / oily taste and or smell. I've never had that though.

Byo did a good article on it here: http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/569-dry-hopping-techniques

quote:

The secondary fermenter is generally considered the best place for dry hopping for a couple of reasons. First, the beer has already mostly fermented so, as mentioned above, the alcohol and low pH helps to ward off any bacteria on the un-sanitized hops. Second, the vigorous CO2 activity of the primary is finished, so the aroma of the hops won’t be scrubbed out of the beer.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 19, 2014

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Fluo posted:

Dry hopping in primary will make most the hoppyness that you would get from dry hopping scrub off in the c02 because of the main ferment. The only drawback from dryhopping in secondary is sometimes you might get a grassy / oily taste and or smell. I've never had that though.

Byo did a good article on it here: http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/569-dry-hopping-techniques

All you have to do is wait until the main fermentation is over... that article is very old fashioned. Secondary is a waste of time unless you are working with a beer where freshness isn't an issue and/or you want to add some stuff to it.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Glottis posted:

All you have to do is wait until the main fermentation is over... that article is very old fashioned. Secondary is a waste of time unless you are working with a beer where freshness isn't an issue and/or you want to add some stuff to it.

I'm confused, I'm saying dry hopping in secondary is better then dry hopping in primary (which it is, since in primary most the hop aroma is scrubbed off with the co2). I don't move any of my beer to secondary unless I am adding something eg: for my coffee porter I transfered the beer ontop of my cold extracted coffee.
If you're saying add the dry hops into primary after ferment that seems abit risky, specially with carboys where the hops would cause splashing when you dropped them in.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Fluo posted:

I'm confused, I'm saying dry hopping in secondary is better then dry hopping in primary (which it is, since in primary most the hop aroma is scrubbed off with the co2). I don't move any of my beer to secondary unless I am adding something eg: for my coffee porter I transfered the beer ontop of my cold extracted coffee.
If you're saying add the dry hops into primary after ferment that seems abit risky, specially with carboys where the hops would cause splashing when you dropped them in.

When you pop the cap off of that carboy it will be filled with beer and heavier-than-o2 co2. Pop the top and drop the hop. You won't introduce any oxygen unless you're actively loving with it.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

When you pop the cap off of that carboy it will be filled with beer and heavier-than-o2 co2. Pop the top and drop the hop. You won't introduce any oxygen unless you're actively loving with it.

I understand what you're saying but I still think the splashing is a bad idea of dropping the pellets in? I don't know I just think its not worth the worry. :(

Edit: gently caress it, I've got an American Pale at the end of primary at the moment I'll give it a shot and compare it with the in secondary on the hops one. :)

One in secondary is on Nelson Sauvin. Don't want to dry hop with the same hop as that one, got some spare Citra will have a go with that. :)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 19, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Fluo posted:

I understand what you're saying but I still think the splashing is a bad idea of dropping the pellets in? I don't know I just think its not worth the worry. :(

Edit: gently caress it, I've got an American Pale at the end of primary at the moment I'll give it a shot and compare it with the in secondary on the hops one. :)

All the splashing will do is potentially introduce stagnant CO2 from your headspace into the beer, which is where it came from and which is already saturated with 1 volume of CO2. Any O2 that chases it in will be utterly negligible.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

All the splashing will do is potentially introduce stagnant CO2 from your headspace into the beer, which is where it came from and which is already saturated with 1 volume of CO2. Any O2 that chases it in will be utterly negligible.

Ah ok gotcha, I'm guess I'm just always a bit anal when it comes to splashing and such because god drat all that work to go down the toilet from it splashing. Half the batch of my second ever brew had oxidized because of splashing* and since then been a bit anal about it.

*Was lifting up the carboy so I could siphon it into the bottling bucket but when carrying it someone opened the door I was behind and made me drop it (lucky it didn't break).

Also that beer taste book recommended in this thread turned up yesterday and has gave me some ideas for my 12th brew.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 19, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hey homebrew thread, long time no see. Wanted to stop by to see if any goons had plans on going to the AHA's National Homebrewing Conference this year, which happens to be going on in my old hometown on Grand Rapids, MI in mid-June. Registration opens today at 10am MST. I decided to join the AHA this year to go to the conference since it's so close by, seems a bit pricey but looks fun and maybe I'll learn a couple things. Has anyone ever gone to one before?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Hey homebrew thread, long time no see. Wanted to stop by to see if any goons had plans on going to the AHA's National Homebrewing Conference this year, which happens to be going on in my old hometown on Grand Rapids, MI in mid-June. Registration opens today at 10am MST. I decided to join the AHA this year to go to the conference since it's so close by, seems a bit pricey but looks fun and maybe I'll learn a couple things. Has anyone ever gone to one before?

Hey Sirotan! I will be signing up in the lottery to win tickets as soon as I can. Should be a loving rad conference this year and I am super pumped about meeting a couple homebrew idols and attending their lectures.

We should do a proper meetup if enough people show interest. My club is planning big things for club night this year, pretty sure I'm making a keg of my brett IPA to donate to the club.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I really need to get a brew in this weekend. I've been working 10-12 hour days for the last two weeks and I need to just get something done.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I need to bottle my Polish Old Ale and get to brewing other stuff. I've had so many ideas swirling around the past two weeks while It was fermenting.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Why all of the secondary hate? I've found it to be very helpful in clarifying and reducing sediment in the finished product, and I've never had a batch contaminated or oxygenated(that I have noticed).

I only got around to brewing Fluo's supermarket bitter yesterday, because I got a late start, and it took about 6 hours from hauling everything up from the basement and getting a new propane tank to putting the fermenter back on its shelf. Hopefully I'll get some time to brew Jo3sh's Best Bitter today...

Also, I ended up with way higher gravity on that first one- 1.055 instead of the projected 1.045. I guess I was too efficient?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BLARGHLE posted:

Why all of the secondary hate? I've found it to be very helpful in clarifying and reducing sediment in the finished product, and I've never had a batch contaminated or oxygenated(that I have noticed).

I only got around to brewing Fluo's supermarket bitter yesterday, because I got a late start, and it took about 6 hours from hauling everything up from the basement and getting a new propane tank to putting the fermenter back on its shelf. Hopefully I'll get some time to brew Jo3sh's Best Bitter today...

Also, I ended up with way higher gravity on that first one- 1.055 instead of the projected 1.045. I guess I was too efficient?
Repeated clarification is probably the one processing argument for it. Clarity isn't incredibly important in the grand scheme and its possible to clear out the primary pretty well if you need to.

In the name of KISS there isn't a lot of reason to do a second vessel unless you absolutely need to empty the first for something.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I'm getting an urge to educate my newbie brewer self via science, though honestly :effort: may yet put a stop to me.

Brewing only 4 or so batches per year so far, it's a bit difficult to understand exactly what I'm doing and what the specific results will be. So, I want to try brewing a number of small batches or distributing one brew session's wort into several small carboys, with each sample changing only one factor. This way I could directly sample different fermentation temperatures, oxygen contamination, yeast pitch rate, etc.

If anyone has done something like this, were there any tests that you found to be particularly enlightening?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I'm getting an urge to educate my newbie brewer self via science, though honestly :effort: may yet put a stop to me.

Brewing only 4 or so batches per year so far, it's a bit difficult to understand exactly what I'm doing and what the specific results will be. So, I want to try brewing a number of small batches or distributing one brew session's wort into several small carboys, with each sample changing only one factor. This way I could directly sample different fermentation temperatures, oxygen contamination, yeast pitch rate, etc.

If anyone has done something like this, were there any tests that you found to be particularly enlightening?

Brewing small batches in the beginning is probably the best idea. I switched to 3 gallon batches early on so I could brew more often, get more practice, and not be stuck with another 44 bottles of overcarbonated toilet water like my first batch.

I wouldn't intentionally brew bad beer just to see what happens, you'll make plenty of unintentional mistakes on your own. Just focus on getting every step of your process ironed out. Take detailed notes on every measurement, every temperature, every timer. Eventually you'll start feeling like you really nailed everything on brew day so if a flaw shows up you can look back in your notes, figure out what went wrong and tweak your process.

If you're looking for a good starting point for experimentation, definitely learn as much as you can about yeast health and become familiar with all the different strains. Fermentation temperatures, pitching rates, and nutrients/oxygen are probably the #1 causes of off flavors. IMO it's the most important thing to understand early on and a lot of newbies tend to overlook it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

zedprime posted:

Repeated clarification is probably the one processing argument for it. Clarity isn't incredibly important in the grand scheme and its possible to clear out the primary pretty well if you need to.

In the name of KISS there isn't a lot of reason to do a second vessel unless you absolutely need to empty the first for something.

There are some who think that getting off of the yeast cake will increase the effectiveness of a dry-hop, but I can't find the link about it, and I've also never tried personally. I suppose I should, though, since I have some free carboys and I'm not worried about the oxidation boogeyman.

e: vvvv I'd say that the variation by pitch rate depends heavily on yeast selection :v:

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 19, 2014

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Some brew buddies did a 20 Gallon brown Ale batch and pitched 4 different yeasts into 5 Gallon carboys. I think yeast selection has a greater to do about final product than pitch rates. but in some cases like lagers and maybe styles that want a bit of yeast stress is where pitch rates come more into play.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The only reason I really do a secondary anymore is to free up primary space, or for lagering. Soon (hopefully) I'll be lagering in kegs, so that won't really make a difference.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I secondary and really the only reason I do it is because:

a. I want to move the batch from a bucket to a carboy since I usually lager for long*er* amounts of time than the average ale brewer (2-3 months) - I think there was discussion a few months about the "leakage" of buckets vs. carboys
b. I do lots of lighter colored brews, so any leg up I can get on clarity certainly doesn't hurt

If I were an ale brewer, did shorter batches, or I did darker stuff, I'd probably skip the secondary too, FWIW.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

illcendiary posted:

I did it for 20+ batches too. Like Jo3sh said, you need a lot of ice to get to pitching temp. If you figure 1 gallon of 1.050 wort is roughly ~8.5 lbs at 210F and you use 8.5 lbs of ice at 30F, once they've stabilized their heat transfer you've got 1 gallon of wort at 120F and 1 gallon of water at 120F. I used everything from regular ice (works great, expensive) to milk jugs filled with salt water (works ok until the outer layer of ice melts inside the jug) to reusable ice packs (works pretty well).

Because of the amount of ice required I started recirculating 10 gallons of hose water (70-80F) until the temperature was down around 130F then dumping that and using the ice packs to take it the rest of the way down. Still takes about 30 minutes to get to 80F though.

Last brew I built an immersion chiller and used that for the initial 10 gallons and then switched to the ice recirculation. Works about the same after spending the $100 on 50ft of 1/2" copper and assorted fittings.

I've also put two fermenters worth (10-11gal) of tap water in my fermenter-freezer and dropped them overnight to 35F. That worked alright as the one quantity of water recirculating was enough to get it down below 95F. With the two-quantity system you could probably get it near lager temps.

So long and short, it does work but you'll need to switch the water out halfway through unless you have access to an ice machine.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Some brew buddies did a 20 Gallon brown Ale batch and pitched 4 different yeasts into 5 Gallon carboys. I think yeast selection has a greater to do about final product than pitch rates. but in some cases like lagers and maybe styles that want a bit of yeast stress is where pitch rates come more into play.

I agree that yeast selection is a greater factor, but proper pitching rates can produce a significantly improved product in a shorter time span. Stressing the yeast (in this case, under pitching) I will admit can be used to the brewers advantage however, stealing from Wyeast because they've done written it up quite nicely:

A low pitch rate can lead to:
  • Excess levels of diacetyl
  • Increase in higher/fusel alcohol formation
  • Increase in ester formation
  • Increase in volatile sulfur compounds
  • High terminal gravities
  • Stuck fermentations
  • Increased risk of infection

Getting a good pitching rate isn't terribly difficult and can have a marked effect on the overall quality and drinkability of your beer. Love your Yeast, feed them before putting them to work, Treat them well and they will repay you many times over!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

CapnBry posted:

unless you have access to an ice machine.

I'd be lying if I said I had never trolled restaurant equipment sales for an ice machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'd be willing to say that there's nothing even close to as important as yeast/yeast health/pitching rates when it comes to making good beer.

90% Base Malt / 10% Specialty Malt / 35IBU Hops

Replace those ratios with literally any ingredients and I guarantee you'll get good, drinkable beer. That's how little recipes matter in the big picture (in my opinion).