Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

This cast is pretty underwhelming, but this is by far the worst choice of the bunch

Jai Courtney was at least fun in Jack Reacher. What do the other two have to recommend them (last-decade only for Schwarzenegger)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yoshifan823 posted:

Oh dear sweet jesus, it's like Michael and Rita from Arrested Development, but played seriously.

Yeah I'm more than a little disturbed by this

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The first Guardians of the Galaxy trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM

Thoughts?

This will either be really great or monumentally stupid. No middle ground.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

Thoughts?

Honestly I find so many of the other Marvel properties so middle of the road I'm excited either way.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mister Kingdom posted:

Thoughts?

I want it to succeed but god drat it looks like they are trying their hardest to freak out the normals movie going audience.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrNutt posted:

I want it to succeed but god drat it looks like they are trying their hardest to freak out the normals movie going audience.

It looks like it has the exact same humor as the Thor series so I wouldn't be anxious.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

computer parts posted:

It looks like it has the exact same humor as the Thor series so I wouldn't be anxious.

Yes but Thor didn't have a talking raccoon and a tree as two of it's primary protagonists. I feel like a good measure of the Avengers/Marvel success has been putting attractive people in easy to please movies that are fun enough even for people who aren't invested in the Marvel universe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrNutt posted:

Yes but Thor didn't have a talking raccoon and a tree as two of it's primary protagonists. I feel like a good measure of the Avengers/Marvel success has been putting attractive people in easy to please movies that are fun enough even for people who aren't invested in the Marvel universe.

The "main" character (at least judging by the trailer) is a Han Solo-lovable rogue type and it's kind of unclear how much of a role either of those two play (the tree at least is silent muscle and that shouldn't be too unbelievable).

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I hate myself for saying this but the tree and raccoon guy just give off weird vibes. I like the alien designs and what-not but something about those two just feel out of place. I can't really say why but it just makes the film look a little hokey. That might just be me though.

Kind of wished they went the Guillermo Del Toro look and make everything look freaky and alien-like in appearance. I'd rather be disturbed and curious of their design rather than feeling hum-drum about them.

However, I'm not familiar with the comics or characters or anything so this is coming from an outsider perspective. For all I know I could be asking to have the Hulk not be green so this movie may not be for me.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Thoughts?

I think it's going to bomb harder than Scott Pilgrim.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I wasn't impressed, I thought the Thor 2 teaser was the worst part of the Thor 2 film, and the trailer looks like it's too busy trying to be funny instead of fun. I want to like this dumb film so maybe the next trailer will sell it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Red Mundus posted:

However, I'm not familiar with the comics or characters or anything so this is coming from an outsider perspective. For all I know I could be asking to have the Hulk not be green so this movie may not be for me.

I had to google them when I first heard about the movie. This could be a make-or-break point for the entire series. Or not since Disney still has buttloads of money to throw at it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am not really a fan of Marvel's output, but it does look like they're letting Chris Pratt be himself and that is always a good thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

computer parts posted:

The "main" character (at least judging by the trailer) is a Han Solo-lovable rogue type and it's kind of unclear how much of a role either of those two play (the tree at least is silent muscle and that shouldn't be too unbelievable).

They've hunked him out a bit but he's still Andy from Parks and Rec.

I get what you're saying but it's pretty obvious this has a far easier path to failure than any of the other Marvel properties.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

They've hunked him out a bit but he's still Andy from Parks and Rec.
How is this part a bad thing?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that they let Gunn use an action movie cut of Hooked on Feeling has me sold, Marvel seems to really be taking the complaints of the same-y first generation movies to heart and letting the people behind their movies do what they want.

Also it's just the first trailer, it makes sense that they focused on introducing the characters (5 aliens that your average person has never even heard of) and setting the tone and leaving the actual (likely unfinished) action and effects stuff for later once all the "raccoons in space :wtf:" hype dies down.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I wasn't impressed, I thought the Thor 2 teaser was the worst part of the Thor 2 film, and the trailer looks like it's too busy trying to be funny instead of fun. I want to like this dumb film so maybe the next trailer will sell it.

I heard that they shot the Thor 2 teaser in literally one day because Marvel didn't approach them until the last minute so a lot of that was out of their hands. The actual make-up and effects in this trailer look great.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had to google them when I first heard about the movie. This could be a make-or-break point for the entire series. Or not since Disney still has buttloads of money to throw at it.

I grew up with the old school 31st Century Guardians of the Galaxy, though I know most of these characters via other appearances in Marvel comics, but they were never major roles (except maybe in Infinity Gauntlet related materials)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I read a lot of Marvel, and I've never heard of these characters. My thought is they made their first trailer that gets the image of a raccoon and tree man right out there just to get you to accept them that way. Then once the foot is in the door, they do another trailer showing them speak.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Why Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be a good movie:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can watch that whole sequence and not get jazzed for this movie.

"What a bunch of assholes."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Urdnot Fire posted:

How is this part a bad thing?

I certainly don't think it's a bad thing, personally.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Hat Thoughts posted:

Honestly I find so many of the other Marvel properties so middle of the road I'm excited either way.

I'm feeling the exact same. They are actually trying something slightly risky here instead of the by-the-numbers, fun but completely forgettable mash Marvel has put out so far.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Riptor posted:

There was also that thing where when you ate ortolan you would cover your head with a napkin so as not to affront god for eating such an innocent creature or some nonsense

Christ, I thought American Dad made that up for a gag!

muscles like this? posted:

"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know how this machine worked!" Also note the sensors reading "OBSCENE GESTURE IMMINENT"

I have faith the creator of Tromeo & Juliet, Slither, & Super won't let me down.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Guardians of the Galaxy is now my most anticipated film of the year. Granted, it's not even March yet so there are still plenty of other movies for me to discover actually exist but yeah, this trailer really piqued my interest. And I know nothing about the comics. And I haven't really loved any of the previous MCU films except the first Iron Man (and maybe The Avengers to a lesser extent).

In an age of endless sequels and reboots, it's refreshing to finally see an untested property being released. Marvel easily could have played it safe but they chose to take a risk and I applaud them for it.

(My mom liked the trailer too. :colbert:)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ninjasaurus posted:

In an age of endless sequels and reboots, it's refreshing to finally see an untested property being released.

The movie looks cool and all but this is like claiming that Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them is a new property because it doesn't feature Harry Potter.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

computer parts posted:

The movie looks cool and all but this is like claiming that Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them is a new property because it doesn't feature Harry Potter.

I was limiting that statement to the realm of comic book movies.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can watch that whole sequence and not get jazzed for this movie.

"What a bunch of assholes."

That'a actually exactly why I think this film will be trash. Doh ho, aren't our heroes a bunch of cads, ho ha, look at Pratt mug. It looks cynical as poo poo, and like Tars Tarkas said, doen't actually look fun, it's just jokes.

I mentioned Scott Pilgrim before because I imagine it going over the same way, small group of nerds going apeshit about it, but it alienating audiences at large.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No one can be as much of an A-hole as the Scott Pilgrim character.

I suspect though, it turns out in the film that the prison guys are shown to be the assholes relatively quickly and the GotG are shown to actually be bad-rear end and save the galaxy. I mean their arc is about protecting some mcguffin from falling into evil hands and proving to the galaxy at large they're as cool as they say they are. I don't think it really compares to Scott Pilgrim which was about selfishness.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

wyoming posted:

That'a actually exactly why I think this film will be trash. Doh ho, aren't our heroes a bunch of cads, ho ha, look at Pratt mug. It looks cynical as poo poo, and like Tars Tarkas said, doen't actually look fun, it's just jokes.

I mentioned Scott Pilgrim before because I imagine it going over the same way, small group of nerds going apeshit about it, but it alienating audiences at large.

They aren't actually cads though. Like...the trailer is kind of pushing them as this rag tag group, sure, but every single one of them IS actually a hero. Even Drax, who's entire purpose for living is murder, is only trying to murder Thanos who is you know...a guy who is literally in love with death and wants to kill the entire universe. If it isn't obvious to you that the arc of the movie is going to be these unlikely characters getting together and Starlord stepping up from rogue, Han Solo type to actual intergalactic hero, the team EARNING the right to actually be called Guardians of the Galaxy, then I don't now what to tell you. Because it's obvious that's what it's going to do.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

wyoming posted:

The difference is, Guardians has the full weight of Marvel behind it and although this is a moment of truth for them (if it succeeds, we might see other unknown cinematic properties; if it fails, it'll be the first crack in Marvel's seemingly invincible box office armor), I would be shocked if its numbers were anywhere near Scott Pilgrim's.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

wyoming posted:

I kind of understand what you're getting at, but complaining about a movie having jokes seems more cynical than what I just watched.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I'm really not seeing the Scott Pilgrim connection here. I mean..."rag-tag band of wacky misfits defies expectations and bands together to stop a seemingly invincible force to save the galaxy" is a pretty vague (and well-proven) formula. The fact that it's not played completely straight is...awesome? What would the movie gain by having its characters all be serious-minded and goal-oriented?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm probably going to see it no matter what happens because I would follow John C. Reilly directly into hell.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

f#a# posted:

APP is a dutch film featuring an evil voice recognition system for smartphones called IRIS (so clever). Ugh.

From IndieWire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQuWP5AsMSM

So it's a modern day Tingler?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Uh, shouldn't IRIS be an EYE recognition system? A voice recognition should be named P.H.A.R.Y.N.X. or something.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Appropriate reading for this thread: 4 Reasons Why Hollywood Still Makes Remakes

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Corek posted:

Uh, shouldn't IRIS be an EYE recognition system? A voice recognition should be named P.H.A.R.Y.N.X. or something.
No because PHARYNX backwards doesn't mean anything.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

One reason why hollywood still makes remakes: They make money

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

TheJoker138 posted:

They aren't actually cads though. Like...the trailer is kind of pushing them as this rag tag group, sure, but every single one of them IS actually a hero. Even Drax, who's entire purpose for living is murder, is only trying to murder Thanos who is you know...a guy who is literally in love with death and wants to kill the entire universe. If it isn't obvious to you that the arc of the movie is going to be these unlikely characters getting together and Starlord stepping up from rogue, Han Solo type to actual intergalactic hero, the team EARNING the right to actually be called Guardians of the Galaxy, then I don't now what to tell you. Because it's obvious that's what it's going to do.

Of course that's going to be the arc, but many films have done stuff like that and been terrible because they can't execute anything properly to save their lives. JWacky jokes and middle fingers only go so far, right now it just looks like wacky stuff that will become increasingly forced and annoying because we haven't seen anything else. The fact that people are latching on to the a-holes line or the middle finger instead of any of the many other things shown in the trailer shows who the trailer was cut for, and it wasn't me. I'm sure if I was a third of my current age I'd be way more jazzed for it. And like I said, I want to like this film, but both things I've seen for it so far have been working against that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The Robocop remake is more entertaining than the reviews let on, it's just completely unnecessary as a movie. I liked the integration of his AI/brain and how they played around with it, and there were some pretty solid action scenes too. Samuel L. Jackson plays Bill O'Reilly and Jay Baruchel plays an adorable OCP marketing executive.

Definite watch once it gets on Netflix, if you haven't seen it already.

• Locked thread