Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I got really excited before I realized this was an interview and not a link to the demos.

Sorry TOOT. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well he did say he wants to do something with those 40 demos before releasing the Fragile reissue...

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well he did say he wants to do something with those 40 demos before releasing the Fragile reissue...

In 2021

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

After he finishes scoring his 10th Fincher movie.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't remember whether it's been mentioned here before, but Recoiled will be released on January 24th, a semi-unauthorized release of unused Coil remixes from the 90s:

http://www.amazon.com/Recoiled-Coil/dp/B00I2O9XOU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392772255&sr=8-2&keywords=recoiled

quote:

1. "Gave Up (Open My Eyes)" 5:28
2. "Closer (Unrecalled)" 7:41
3. "The Downward Spiral (A Gilded Sickness)" 7:59
4. "Eraser (Reduction)" 4:14
5. "Eraser (Baby Alarm Remix)" 8:02

I wouldn't be surprised if this was shut down by Interscope eventually so I'd grab it early.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Trent's gettin paid again in the new Guardians trailer.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Probably mentioned before, but the a commercial/trailer for the new 300 movie uses Eraser, which I am kind of annoyed by.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrts37zw6bg

I so want to see these vocals get used in a new Meathead video.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Yeah, the way I choose to see it is that Trent is aware of how horrible the movies are. They are, in fact, so boring and devoid of effort that it is way more worthwhile to see the trailers than the actual films themselves. So, these trailers use Trent's music, for he gets paid, and the songs don't make it into the lovely films themselves.
But I have no basis for that belief. It just makes sense in my head.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Yeah, the way I choose to see it is that Trent is aware of how horrible the movies are. They are, in fact, so boring and devoid of effort that it is way more worthwhile to see the trailers than the actual films themselves. So, these trailers use Trent's music, for he gets paid, and the songs don't make it into the lovely films themselves.

I think that's all there is to it really.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Counterpoint: Guardians of the Galaxy looks loving great.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Does he even have the say over that, or does the record company? I mean, obviously he has the final say over stuff from The Slip, etc, but things released through a major label?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

Does he even have the say over that, or does the record company? I mean, obviously he has the final say over stuff from The Slip, etc, but things released through a major label?

I think he has a say. Otherwise his songs would be in other ads and he is pretty much against that poo poo. I think he doesn't mind movie ads because he likes movies and doesn't mind his songs being associated with them like he would some other random product.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Counterpoint: Guardians of the Galaxy looks loving great.

Well, to each their own, but I bet it's as cookie-cutter as everything else Marvel puts out. Look at those characters, how is that not totally identical to every other team of super-powered whatevers: small feisty comic relief-ish character who is cute, but will completely unsurprisingly kick rear end when the chips are down. Sexy love interest/kidnap victim. Chewbacca/brawny minority character. Inhuman sort of robotic character, except he's a loving tree. And, oh my god...is that an edgy handsome white male character? I wonder if he's the central character.

Comic books have really evolved to become complex and subtle mediums for intricate stories, and though I don't read them much anymore, I'd never waste my time on a comic book movie ever again. These dynamics haven't progressed at all for decades, and I'm sure I could get the 10-15 minutes they spend on character development between the flashy graphics, tits, and explosions just by talking to someone who watches the drat thing.

There should be a Charlie Brooker series dedicated to U.S. cinema, "Asswipe."

But like I said, your opinion's just as valid for you.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
You sound fun to go to the movies with

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Well, to each their own, but I bet it's as cookie-cutter as everything else Marvel puts out. Look at those characters, how is that not totally identical to every other team of super-powered whatevers: small feisty comic relief-ish character who is cute, but will completely unsurprisingly kick rear end when the chips are down. Sexy love interest/kidnap victim. Chewbacca/brawny minority character. Inhuman sort of robotic character, except he's a loving tree. And, oh my god...is that an edgy handsome white male character? I wonder if he's the central character.

Comic books have really evolved to become complex and subtle mediums for intricate stories, and though I don't read them much anymore, I'd never waste my time on a comic book movie ever again. These dynamics haven't progressed at all for decades, and I'm sure I could get the 10-15 minutes they spend on character development between the flashy graphics, tits, and explosions just by talking to someone who watches the drat thing.

There should be a Charlie Brooker series dedicated to U.S. cinema, "Asswipe."

But like I said, your opinion's just as valid for you.

Why do you hate fun things?

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
I mean, it just gets to be too much of the same for me. Sorry, didn't mean to poo poo all over it, it just gets a bit dull for me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Marvel movies are starting to get formulaic. They found a formula that works so they keep repeating it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
As in they keep hiring talented people who do the source material justice? And obviously, dropping cool NIN songs into their trailers?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

The Marvel movies are starting to get formulaic. They found a formula that works so they keep repeating it.

This is literally the exact opposite of what they've been doing. All of phase 1 was formulaic, and with phase 2 they've been giving much more creative control to the directors.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

This is literally the exact opposite of what they've been doing. All of phase 1 was formulaic, and with phase 2 they've been giving much more creative control to the directors.

This pretty much seems the case, phase 1 was the bait to get everyone to see the avengers, they accomplished that and got the general public to say they want more. Thor 2 had a pretty different feel of a movie and the new captain america seems pretty out there.

Has Trent made any mention if his love/hate for comic books?

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Photex posted:

This pretty much seems the case, phase 1 was the bait to get everyone to see the avengers, they accomplished that and got the general public to say they want more. Thor 2 had a pretty different feel of a movie and the new captain america seems pretty out there.

Guardians is going to be so left field, it's going to be great. The fact the "sexy" character is the one that will probably be doing the most rear end kicking out of them all.

I'm really curious to know if he's into comics too, this is the second Marvel trailer he has featured on.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSquid posted:

Guardians is going to be so left field, it's going to be great. The fact the "sexy" character is the one that will probably be doing the most rear end kicking out of them all.

I'm really curious to know if he's into comics too, this is the second Marvel trailer he has featured on.

You also have to remember that 300 is based on a comic and I think the reason he probably agreed to be in the trailer for the lovely looking sequel is because the original trailer that also featured a NIN song was pretty iconic at the time.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

axleblaze posted:

You also have to remember that 300 is based on a comic and I think the reason he probably agreed to be in the trailer for the lovely looking sequel is because the original trailer that also featured a NIN song was pretty iconic at the time.

Easy money that's for sure. He has had music in some awful movie trailers as well, but when it's a good movie and NIN is playing I feel proud. Haha

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSquid posted:

Easy money that's for sure. He has had music in some awful movie trailers as well, but when it's a good movie and NIN is playing I feel proud. Haha

I know that a NIN song playing during the end credits of Cabin in the Woods was just the kicker that made that movie all the more awesome for me (kind of like Sinister prominently featuring my favorite Boards of Canada song).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Movie trailers are an art form in themselves. I see no shame in having your music used in a really well-done movie trailer even if the movie ends up being lame. Unless there's something particularly morally reprehensible about the movie it advertises, I suppose.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

axleblaze posted:

I know that a NIN song playing during the end credits of Cabin in the Woods was just the kicker that made that movie all the more awesome for me (kind of like Sinister prominently featuring my favorite Boards of Canada song).

Yeah it was Last and it was such a loving good ending credits song.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

ExplodingSquid posted:

I love the fact that the sexy actor is playing a loving tree man.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

and he only has three words in his vocabulary

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

I think you're confusing your sexy actors. The sexy actor is on rocket raccoon. Unless suddenly people are all about Vin Diesel again then I don't know.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Photex posted:

and he only has three words in his vocabulary

The three best words.

I.
AM.
GROOT.

And since when isn't Vin Diesel sexy? He is awesome!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The NIN song in the trailer for Terminator Salvation was the best part of the entire movie.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Movie trailers are an art form in themselves. I see no shame in having your music used in a really well-done movie trailer even if the movie ends up being lame. Unless there's something particularly morally reprehensible about the movie it advertises, I suppose.

Yeah, for sure. They are often way more fulfilling - Terminator: Whatever The Last One Was Called had a remix of TDTWWA in it, and the trailer was great. Like, I loved that trailer. The movie was utter poo poo, though. The only good parts in the movie were in the trailer. I mean, literally, the only parts I enjoyed were the parts that were in it. I'd watch action movie trailers with NIN in them all day long. Although it's worth mentioning that even in this distilled form, trailers get lazy. It's only recently that people have chilled a bit on using that Inception trailer thing. You know: braaamt..."in a world where something something something,"...Braaaaamt..."Matt Damon is still acting in movies,"...Braaaaaaammmmmmttt..."such as this one,"...BRAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMTTT...information about seeing this movie at some point during some year in theaters near you.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMTTTTTTT

"Movie title voiceover and graphic. This film is not yet rated."

Like, that's not my opinion. There have been a ridiculous amount of movie trailers using that exact formula since Inception came out. So...maybe I'll just stick to listening to NIN and reading the comics on my computer.

Edit: ^^^^ Word.

ballgameover.mp3 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 20, 2014

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Photex posted:

I've been told he's not a huge comic book fan, although he's pals with Grant and Kristan Morrison.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

The NIN song in the trailer for Terminator Salvation was the best part of the entire movie.
Seriously. That trailer had me sold on the movie, mainly based on the song I think. Then I saw the movie in theaters and it was loving boring and there was no NIN in the actual movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Seriously. That trailer had me sold on the movie, mainly based on the song I think. Then I saw the movie in theaters and it was loving boring and there was no NIN in the actual movie.

The only part I really remember from the movie was John Conner using a boom box playing You Could Be Mine by GNR to attract robots. That was the best part of the movie that was actually in the movie.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Indeed, Terminator was basically the exact trailer I had in mind when I posted that. Just a perfect trailer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjX7FwCZa8

Still gives me chills and makes me think the movie is something I know for a fact it isn't.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

For reference:

Still gives me chills and makes me think the movie is something I know for a fact it isn't.

you would certainly think the movie was going to be the best thing ever.

Also just noticed Christian Bale's WHAT ARE YOU is the same as his Batman WHERE ARE THEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

For reference:

Even though I saw, and was disapointed by, that movie, I still really want to see it based just on the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRY0c-N2QE
The 300 trailer, just because.