Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Takenaka Shigekata
Chief Justice of the Ezo Supreme Court

The Court also condemns the attack on the wedding. We urge all citizens to remain calm in this time of crisis and avoid the temptation of vigilantism. This matter will be handled by the appropriate legal bodies and any attempt to deal with the crisis on a unilateral basis will only impede the investigation.

Thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
Tokugawa Kamenosuke, shogun, hero of the battle of Sado, shinto devoutee, brother to a murdered sister.

I thank the Magistrate for his willingness to bring whatever miscreant performed this appalling crime to justice, but I wish to be allowed to head this investigation, for it was my family preyed upon and I will not rest until I find who perpetrated this crime. I wish to investigate this along with the Authorities, as to me no one is beyond guilt for this crime, and none are yet vindicated.

in fact if the authorities are willing, I wish to head this investigation personally. I will take leave of my military duties, and track down this man. I mean this not as a sign of disrespect, but at the moment I trust no one.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 20, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

It will take some time, but unfortunately as my first act of this new legislative season, I will be removing Otori Keisuke from his position as Minister of the Army. He has openly defied the orders of the Commander in Chief and endangered the lives of the samurai who serve the Republic of Ezo. His actions have resulted in Matsumae Takahiro's capture. This is undeniable fact. I also have reason to believe that it was he who made the attack against Saigo's life, knowing it would fail in his attempt to see Matsumae Takahiro removed from the political scene in Ezo. I also have a strong inclination that the attack on the Shogun's wedding was related to Otori. If he would deny these actions, I call upon him to meet me on the floor of Congress, with his sword drawn and defend his honor. If he will not, then let him remove himself from the army and slink back to the hole from which he crawled.

Recognizing the increased power and presence of the Homeland faction, I hereby nominate Matsudaira Sadaaki (Takanago) to the position of army minister. His bravery and strength on the battlefield are an inspiration for all citizens of the Republic.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Erwin Balz
Distinguished minsters of Ezo, I thank you for your hospitality and for allowing me to use my skills the help the poor and wounded. I would also like to express my sorrow for those who were lost in the wedding massacre, it is truly a sad day when any life is lost. I would like to humbly ask the ministers of Ezo to allow me to extend an olive branch between you and the German Empire. While relations are strained because of our involvement in the Meiji Government I personally hope that we can see past that and work for a better future.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Kasuga Saemon

Letter to Friar Takahiro posted:

My heart is heavy, my friend, too heavy, for it reminds me of the darkness I dwelt in before seeing the light of Christ. Masako, though unbaptized, was a woman of high virtue, and her loss looms large. Even now men squabble and babble at each other to find and blame the culprit, but I cannot enter that fray. I thank God for my survival, but more fervently I pray to Him that her soul might reach Heaven.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Thomas Blakiston

I have spent some time trying to summon words that can adequately express my grief and my horror at what has occurred. It is a waste of time; such a thing would be impossible even for the greatest of poets.

It does not suffice to say that it is a tragedy, though it was one. Not only for me personally, or for the Tokugawa clan, or for everyone else who loved Masako; but for the family and friends of all those who were cruelly murdered by bomb and mob alike.

Neither does it suffice to say that it is an outrage, though it was that as well. Not only against the laws and society of Ezo, but also of the United Kingdom from which I hail, and indeed against all decent human beings who deplore such evil acts.

But though I will no doubt dwell on what occurred that day for years to come – for the rest of my life, perhaps – it serves no one to do so in public. Instead, I will focus on one thing, my only goal until it is achieved: bringing those responsible to justice and seeing them duly punished for their crimes. Not out of revenge, though I would be lying if I said that I do not desire it, deep within my shattered heart. No, I will see it done because justice must be served, and wicked men must not be allowed to sow misery and chaos with impunity.

It has already been announced that there will be an investigation. I would expect nothing less. I will naturally cooperate with it to the utmost of my ability. I sincerely hope, however, that it can be relied upon. Already there are rumours that members of the government itself may have been complicit in the attack, and even a whiff of possible corruption within the investigation would be utterly inexcusable.

On that note, I must move on to an even more pressing matter. I must formally protest in the strongest possible terms the appointment of Matsudaira Sadaaki to any sort of government position. Not only is he an obvious suspect in the bombing, he was personally responsible for the creation of the violent mob that attacked the crowd and killed several of the victims. In a less civilized age he would already have been dealt with. Indeed, if he had even the barest scrap of honour befitting a true samurai, he would be dead by his own hand. As it stands, it is a travesty that he is not already in police custody, awaiting his trial.

I am a great admirer of this republic, and I sincerely hope that it can prove itself worthy of that admiration. I would hate for the intervention of my government to be necessary in order to achieve justice for the dead.

Litos
Feb 2, 2013

Otori Keisuke, Army Magistrate, Chairman of the Republican Party

Enomoto Fumeiyona, eight years ago I thought I had seen the last moment of your insanity. On the eve of one of the greatest military victories in the history of our Republic, you contemplated Seppuku. The sun was setting on that warm night in June of 1869 and you came crawling into the officers' barracks asking the honorable men to assist you with the traditional decapitaiton.

"If it's dying you want you can do it anytime.", I told you. You had fired me the night before for disobeying your orders; do not forget sir, this is not the first time we have quarreled. The day after, I and my generals ordered our men to surrender. Then, in the tradition of some of Japan's most accomplished daimyo and generals, we gained an excellent position with which to smash the Meiji. Our honorable Navy Minister made short work of the Meiji fleet in a concurrent battle, and our Republic was preserved. But just three days earlier, our "founding father" was one witticism short of becoming a founding corpse. Seppuku is honorable, but victory, that is sweeter, and for a leader to abandon his men is disgraceful.

I thought I saw the end of that insanity after saving Enomoto's life, but it was clear I overestimated him. After a great victory in Sado, and manyfold expansion of our defensive capabilities, eh wants to fire me, and accuses me of engineering a conflict between Matsumae and Saigo. Worse yet, this happens in a time of national peril and dual threats from the Meiji and internal terrorism. These accusations are not only baseless but impossible. Look at what I conducted in the last several months: renewed victory in Saigo, the salvation of the Republican party and the balance of power, mobilization of thousands of men, fair and honorable land compensation and distribution out of my own estate. How many things can I manage, and what interest do I have in eliminating Matsumae, who I myself commissioned, appointed, and asked to join in service.

Yes, I will admit it, I disobeyed the President, but no, neither I nor a majority in either the party or military council has a single regret. The President's sanity has been faltering for the past year; the great Enomoto that we once knew is now a husk of himself. His elimination of term limits that he himself implemented in the founding of this country is nothing short of corruption, his public release of specific plans of the military are confirmed to have needlessly killed hundreds of our men, and his harebrained attempted coup against the Satsuma Rebellion cost us a thousand men, and would have cost 5,000. When I dispatched the venerable General Matsumae to Satsuma, he had orders to assist the rebels if they were to help, but the President had different ideas. Matsumae is sitting in captivity not because of undersupply, but because of confirmed interference directly from the executive branch that gave Saigo the conviction that Enomoto wanted to kill him. Enomoto's plan was to use 5,000 samurai to outvote the Satsuma rebels, put Saigo to death, and control the rebellion from Ezo. Earlier I and other military officials presented the clear alternative of helping if Saigo asked and always making boats available for transport on the Satsuma heroes' own accords, but Enomoto would not listen. General Matsumae has redeemed himself and his family to the state and had given indication that he was following his own designs, a different set of orders, bearing no objection when twice I publicly and privately announced that the mission would receive 1,000 samurai.

Let's consider the options. Deploying 1,000 samurai had the potential of this being the diplomatic mission that General Matsumae astutely wished it would be. Deploying 5,000, against the will of Saigo, which I and the President were both aware of, was an invasion. Saigo had tens of thousands of men, we would have 5,000 at best. I and Enomoto agree on one thing; that this operation would have proceeded differently had his endangering orders been followed. Saigo would not even have considered talking; the first order of business would have been an ambush, and 5,000 would have died, not 1,000. Their souls are an unfortunate loss, suffered from Enomoto's folly, and they fought bravely, but we needed those 4,000 men to defend the mainland. Let's speak plainly, 5,000 samurai was every single samurai who joined the military last season. They would all be dead.

Enomoto's accusations that the attack on the Shogun is related to me are shameful. Not only does he have no evidence, I've offered the military's services in an investigation not led by us. I made my resolutions for the season long before any conflict with the Shogun, they couldn't have changed.

But don't let this be a declaration of mere complaint, let me point out realities. To avoid conflict within the government, I offered to resign independently, but Enomoto refused out of his mad desire to project his force after a year of criticism. The Republican Party has conferred, and in its majority it recognizes the abandonment our increasingly misjudging president had given it in the elections and the fact that salvation came only from the figures Enomoto now criticizes. The majority of the party has declared it does not support this move, especially not after the victories in Sado and the effective mobilization designs, and Enomoto stands supported only by a slim minority. The structure of this party has changed since the last election.

So why does this matter? Because the President cannot replace a magistrate without the approval of a majority of Congress, and the President cannot rule without the support of his own party. Furthermore, staff appointments have been decided by precedent to need approval from the military council in which active officers and generals vote. The President's failure to consult the court, the legislature, or the military is not only unilateral, but stupid.

Enomoto cease to pretend you have the guts to fight me. You misjudged the odds in our greatest military victory to warrant seppuku, and you have misjudged your failing strength. Your challenge I accept with all due willing though, but we will not defile the legislature's floors with your blood. We will do battle honorably in the Goryokaku fortress, where without me you would have died many years ago.

If it's dying you want, you can do it anytime.s

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Arai Ikunosuke, Naval Minister, Daimyo

Firstly, I must add to the condemnations of the wedding bombing. I am deeply saddened that this event took place and that many Christians died in this event. I hope that tensions between Christiand and non-Christians are able to heal and that this incident does not cause a permanent fissure between the people of the republic. I have immense faith that God will bring the perpetrator of this attack to justice.

In regards to legislative matters, I suggest that we use the credits an resources gained from our new friends in Russia to begin construction of railways so that we may further develop our republic.

Map of Proposed Railways

The railways plotted above connect all of our main cities in the southwest and continue to the Wakkanai in the north and Nemuro in the east. After these main railways are completed we may construct further expansions and spurs to reach other parts of the island.

3-1

- The Republic of Ezo will construct the Wakkanai and Nemuro railways with a spur connecting the city of Otaru, connecting our developed southwest with our frontier, in order to facilitate economic development.

I would also sugges using surplus credits to purchase more frigates from the French government in order to solidify our naval supremacy over the Meiji usurpers.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 20, 2014

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 20, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

This is beautiful, canon, and worthy of a free AP.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Jules Brunet, Private Military Contractor

Monsieur Blakiston, the services of myself and my men are at your disposal until the culprits are brought to justice. No man should have to bury his bride.

In other news, the "Buy Brunet a Boat" Campaign is in full swing. Want to advertise a business? Commemorate a loved one? Immortalize the weakness of an enemy? Buy an inscription today!

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 20, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

I will not even deign to respond to the ridiculous assertions of Otori as he attempts to preserve his position in the face of our Constitution and law. I will ask the Supreme Court to make an immediate assertion, for the benefit of the Republic. Does the President have the authority, as Commander-in-Chief and Chief Executive, to fire one of his ministers? If so, Otori Keisuke is fired.

Regardless of whether he is fired, I ask you samurai of Ezo, you noble men who have given your lives for this Republic. Who is the Master, the President or the Minister of the Army? If your Lord gives you an order, to bring 5,000 men into the field, does a Samurai take those men and do his best to see his Lord's will to the end, or does he lie, does he cheat and betray his Lord, to hold back from the Lord the truth, and then blame the Lord for the failure to win the field when he himself was the cause of that failure? Stand up for yourself, Otori. For you who have twice dishonored me, playing politics and attempting to build yourself into a power among Congress secretly, and then attempting this coup against the power of the very Republic you claim to serve. I say that you are WITHOUT HONOR. For the man who has no honor, he can win a thousand battles, perhaps yes, he can defeat his rivals, but in his heart, there is nothing but blackness, and when he is gone, none will remember him for the good deeds that he had done.

Otori pretends to care for the sanctity of the Republic. He doesn't want to shed blood in Congress. He will stab me in my back, attempt to subvert the very laws of Congress itself, but no, not blood on the floors. My fellow samurai, citizens of Ezo, I do not fear blood! And you who have shed your blood for this Republic, I know you too, do not fear blood. There is no better place for this duel then before Congress, where nothing can be hidden, none of your schemes can be undertaken! Let your supporters and mine stand by and watch as I cut your dog heart from your body or die in the attempt, but regardless... you are NOT a member of this government any longer, and you have NO authority over any member of the army.

For honor's sake, I will say this. Any samurai who wishes to follow Otori, resign your commission for the Army, you have that right. But do not throw this nation into civil war following this man who has no honor.

Otori, I will see you in Congress, or I will hunt you to the ends of this island, to the ends of the Earth!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

In regards to the scandal over the Army Minister position, I must protest strongly against the appointment of a member of the Homeland Faction and especially Matsudaira Sadaaki to the head of the army. Matsudaira Sadaaki is a dishonorable individual and quite possibly a murderer involved in the regrettable actions that took place at the wedding of Thomas Blakiston. Sadaaki brings great dishonor on himself and the entire Homeland Faction and the presence of these swine in any military capacities will greatly impact the republic's ability to defend itself.

I am sure that the other parties in congress share similar opinions on Matsudaira Sadaaki and if a replacement for the Army Minister must be found then the replacement clearly must be someone who is not about to be investigated for bombing a wedding.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Matsudaira Sadaaki 松平 定敬 (S)
Nominee for Army Minister, Daimyo-in-Exile of Kuwana

I humbly accept the President's nomination for Army Minister. Lord Otori, I strongly urge you to back down. The only thing you are going to accomplish here by causing such a big ruckus is embarrassing yourself.

Also I must offer my sincere condolences to the Tokugawa family for the tragic demise of miss Tokugawa Masako. While indeed I objected very strongly to her marriage to the gaijin, she absolutely did not deserve to die so young. I promise you that I will cry a thousand tears on the day of her funeral.

Litos
Feb 2, 2013

Put away your empty threats, Enomoto. You've already conceded by both not challenging them and letting us know openly that you set up the mission to Saigo. 1,000 men are dead not because of an honorable command and attempt to support our brethren, but because of a snakelike plot by you to usurp leadership over the rebellion and satisfy your ego. 5,000 would be dead, every samurai who enlisted during the invasion of Sado if I had listened to you; this Republic would not have existed if I had listened to you in June of 1869.

Your titles you think give you powers, but you once again prove your ineptness by not reading the laws. The President is never given authority in the United States Constitution or the Ezo Constitution to vacate ministerial positions, this is only implied by his power to replace, but replacement takes a congressional vote. Furthermore, insight is necessary to govern a country, so consider this insight; you cannot fire someone without a replacement. If you are commander in chief, tell me, which battles did you command? When have you done more than hid in your office while brave men died in your name on the front?

The President cannot function in his executive capacity until he regains his mental faculties. Until then, it is up to the rest of us to keep this madman in check. I will check him with my blade, but let us not despoil the laws while we await him in his own castle, which he cowardly refuses to fight in. Only destiny can determine death, and I saved this man from his destiny out of a desire to give him a second chance. Destiny wants its deserts, and it will receive them. Enough with the excuses, be a man.

We will have a vote, inside our council and in this congress. Until you file a court case otherwise, ruling will come only through pragmatism and reality, not your titles. You cannot destroy the unity of this government and country in a time of crisis without approval, and certainly cannot do so without your own party.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

I would also at this time like to point out that the attempted assassination of Saigo Takamori was indeed the idea of President Enomoto Takeaki. He asked that I task NINJA with the assassination but I thought against it and spent my efforts on defending the island from possible Meiji attacks.

I hope that the current political mudslinging calms down now and that we may resume out attempts at economic development and defense from Meiji.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Jules Brunet, Private Military Contractor

Are you lot Samurai, or are you squabbling children. Do you honestly think this is the right time to make political power-plays, even as the Meiji Emperor turns his gaze north? President Enamoto is the lawfully and recently elected President, and is thus the political power. That the military would consider making a bid for supremacy reminds me more of a Latin American hellhole than a proud and honorable republic. Shame!

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Litos posted:

Put away your empty threats, Enomoto. You've already conceded by both not challenging them and letting us know openly that you set up the mission to Saigo. 1,000 men are dead not because of an honorable command and attempt to support our brethren, but because of a snakelike plot by you to usurp leadership over the rebellion and satisfy your ego. 5,000 would be dead, every samurai who enlisted during the invasion of Sado if I had listened to you; this Republic would not have existed if I had listened to you in June of 1869.

Your titles you think give you powers, but you once again prove your ineptness by not reading the laws. The President is never given authority in the United States Constitution or the Ezo Constitution to vacate ministerial positions, this is only implied by his power to replace, but replacement takes a congressional vote. Furthermore, insight is necessary to govern a country, so consider this insight; you cannot fire someone without a replacement. If you are commander in chief, tell me, which battles did you command? When have you done more than hid in your office while brave men died in your name on the front?

The President cannot function in his executive capacity until he regains his mental faculties. Until then, it is up to the rest of us to keep this madman in check. I will check him with my blade, but let us not despoil the laws while we await him in his own castle, which he cowardly refuses to fight in. Only destiny can determine death, and I saved this man from his destiny out of a desire to give him a second chance. Destiny wants its deserts, and it will receive them. Enough with the excuses, be a man.

We will have a vote, inside our council and in this congress. Until you file a court case otherwise, ruling will come only through pragmatism and reality, not your titles. You cannot destroy the unity of this government and country in a time of crisis without approval, and certainly cannot do so without your own party.

Your inability to understand the government that we have established and how it functions does not mean that you get to force the government to work as YOU desire. The lines are being drawn for what is essentially a coup, by what looks to be the Army and Navy Ministers. While I have worked to see Christianity accepted by this government, in their desire for further power and protection, who knows what promises were made between Otori and the Christian faction. I am thus forced to make the following statement with a heavy heart, that Naval Minister Arai Ikunosuke is removed from his position as well.

Questioning my mental competency is laughable. I denounce every one of the claims made against me. I am the Father of the Republic. I will lay the case out for you more clearly. Last season, while I was planning the invasion of Sado and assisting in the running of the affairs of the Republic, Otori was attempting to form factions within my party, rather than face me honorably for the leadership. He claimed it was a mistake, and I foolishly believed him and let the matter stand. This year, his betrayal has become all the more unbelievable. Disobeying a direct order. Attempting to promote himself as the 'Chairman' of the Republican Party. Proclaiming that the President does NOT have the authority to fire his Ministers at will, because he does not have a replacement for those ministers, despite Congress not even having had a vote? Promoting some 'Council of Generals' as having the TRUE authority to decide who leads the army? What is this council of which he speaks, what constitutional authority grants it that power? What exactly is Otori doing in the military? While I was building a school and a new Supreme Court, he was using his time to scheme to take control of the Republican Party and engaging in vote-trading and presenting fiefs to samurai in exchange for their pledges of PERSONAL loyalty to him, NOT to the Republic of Ezo. I ask you, are these the actions of an honorable man who will protect this nation?

Once again, I denounce this madness. I have been and shall continue to fight for CONSTITUTIONAL justice here. I hereby nominate Katsu Kaishū for the position of Naval Minister, and hope that his experience as an Admiral will be sufficient to see him successfully through the confirmation process.

Regarding the attack on the Shogun's wedding, I hereby appoint the Takenaka Shigetaka, High Justice of the Supreme Court, with delivering to me a person suitable to take the position of 'Special Prosecutor'. Considering the nature of this crime, and the possibility that it extends through the highest levels of government, the necessity for independence is critical. The Shogun and Mr. Blakiston will have an official advisory capacity when it comes to choosing the special prosecutor, so that their views are definitely taken into account.

We are approaching what is clearly a constitutional crisis. The military is attempting to destroy the government, what they will erect in its place, I can not say. I ask all friends of the Republic to make their stance clear immediately.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Excuse me President Takeaki, but you have no proper grounds for removing me as Naval Minister. I have done nothing in my position but adeptly and competently defended the republic. Removing me from my office puts us all at serious risk of being immediately conquered by Meiji.

Furthermore, it is highly doubtful that the navy or the military at large will go along with this change in leadership. You may have had an argument about removing Otori Keisuke from his office but I have broke no laws and have not disobeyed any orders. You are attempting to remove me from office simply because I pointed out that you had lied about a single event.

You are an imbecile and should kill yourself so that this republic may survive.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Katsu Kaishū (勝 海舟)

Bill 3-2: The Establishment of an Investigatory Committee

In light of the grave murder of the Shogun's sister, and the events in Satsuma, the Congress of Ezo finds it necessary to form an Investigatory Committee which shall be vested with the full authority of this Congress in the investigation and prosecution of any and all acts of a criminal and dishonorable nature.

Members of this committee are to be:

Katsu Kaishū (Chair)
Matsudaira Naritami (Represented by CXC, who I feel it would be inappropriate ICly to propose)
Kasuga Saemon
Nagai Naoyuki

Any prosecution to come from recommendation by this Committee will be tried in a court presided over by Judges appointed directly by the Supreme Court.

A RICH WHITE MAN fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 20, 2014

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
Tokugawa Kamenosuke, shogun, hero of the battle of Sado, shinto devoutee, brother to a murdered sister.

It appalls me that cowards would turn my family tragedy into an excuse to bring to light political machinations. Approach me all of you with your staged investigations betraying dark political schemes and call it justice?! I call it a dishonor to samurai and every man in Ezo. If you were so far enraged by the wedding of my sister why did you not meet me on the field like a man? Why did you not meet me face to face? You skulked in the shadows liked a damned rat, then using dishonorable tactics, killed a woman on her wedding day, and slew British nationals over your political greed. Ezo does not have a government so much of a nest of silver tongued vipers, and I spit on your contrived investigations, and politically charged suspects.

(OOC this isn't yelling at the proposal directly above me, im just too lazy to edit the rant atm.)

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 20, 2014

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is also worthwhile to note that I am stripping the disgraced army minister from his status of Samurai, as well as daimyo. His act of bartering away my lands to facilitate his own personal forces, is utterly dishonorable. So well Mr. chairman, you served your party strangely.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 20, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Kasuga Saemon (S)

Letter to the President posted:

Honorable Sir,
Though it pains me to wade into the ceaseless currents of politics, whose mighty and tempestuous waters can overwhelm even the man of strongest character, I must ask that you reconsider your nomination of Matsudaira Sadaaki to the position of Army Minister. I do not challenge your prerogatives regarding the sacking of your ministers, but your nominee is a man who has gleefully admitted to being the mastermind behind a riot that left almost 20 people dead. I beg of you, find someone, anyone other than Sadaaki.

Letter to Concerned Citizens posted:

Brothers, there is turmoil in our land: that, all men can see. Storms of civil discord rage, and threats of violence and destruction lurk on the horizon. I put my ear to the ground, and I hear the trembling fury of an earthquake brewing in the depths of the earth. What are we to do?

First, we must lift our eyes to Heaven, to God, who is King of all His creation, and pray that His will might be done, and not ours. Nations must be chastised for their sins just as individuals, and we will ourselves as a country be so stricken if we do not cling to His cross and reject all of Satan's lies.

But we have an earthly duty as well. Our country is a Republic, whose constitution is founded on that great land of liberty. We must not forsake it! We are Christians first, but we are citizens of an earthly state as well, and we have duties to it as well! We must not take recourse to the sword should we find the course of politics is not to our choosing! Do you not have faith in the sovereignty of God over all things, including history? Do not put your swords up to your fellow citizens! Put them at your true enemy, they who would try to crush the Church out, the heathens of the south!

Letter to Supreme Court Chief Justice Takenaka Shigetaka posted:

Teach me the law, your Honor, for I have no learning in this field.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

Katsu Kaishū (勝 海舟)

In light of the grave murder of the Shogun's sister, and the events in Satsuma, the Congress of Ezo finds it necessary to form an Investigatory Committee which shall be vested with the full authority of this Congress in the investigation and prosecution of any and all acts of a criminal and dishonorable nature.

Katsu Kaishū (Chair)
Matsudaira Naritami (Represented by CXC, who I feel it would be inappropriate ICly to propose)
Kasuga Saemon
Nagai Naoyuki

Any prosecution to come from recommendation by this Committee will be tried in a court presided over by Judges appointed directly by the Supreme Court.

This proposal seems fair and reasonable. I would be willing to lend my support to Bill 3-2.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Joining as Matsudaira Tarou - Vice President (Republican)

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
The Constitution of the Republic of Ezo

(OOC: I'm pasting the entire constitution and striking out anything I think our Republic would not have had, so everyone can see. I am not adding anything though I am changing United States to Republic of Ezo and giving the powers of the Senate to the Congress. This is not meant to be definitive, maybe people will disagree, but at least it gives us a basic document to discuss. I am all for letting QuoProQuid have the final say, along with the GMs. I might add notes in italics for how I think something should be changed...)

quote:

We the People of the Republic of Ezo, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Republic of Ezo.

Article. I.

Section. 1.

All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the Republic of Ezo, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.

Section. 2.

The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the Republic of Ezo, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the Republic of Ezo, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.

When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies.

The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

Section. 3.

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote.

Immediately after they shall be assembled in Consequence of the first Election, they shall be divided as equally as may be into three Classes. The Seats of the Senators of the first Class shall be vacated at the Expiration of the second Year, of the second Class at the Expiration of the fourth Year, and of the third Class at the Expiration of the sixth Year, so that one third may be chosen every second Year; and if Vacancies happen by Resignation, or otherwise, during the Recess of the Legislature of any State, the Executive thereof may make temporary Appointments until the next Meeting of the Legislature, which shall then fill such Vacancies.

No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen.

The Vice President of the Republic of Ezo shall be President of the SenateCongress, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

The SenateCongress shall chuse their other Officers, and also a President pro tempore, in the Absence of the Vice President, or when he shall exercise the Office of President of the Republic of Ezo.

The SenateCongress shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the Republic of Ezo is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the Republic of Ezo: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

Section. 4.

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and such Meeting shall be on the first Monday in December, unless they shall by Law appoint a different Day.

Section. 5.

EachThe House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each/the House may provide.

EachThe House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.

EachThe House shall keep a Journal of its Proceedings, and from time to time publish the same, excepting such Parts as may in their Judgment require Secrecy; and the Yeas and Nays of the Members of eitherthe House on any question shall, at the Desire of one fifth of those Present, be entered on the Journal.

Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days, nor to any other Place than that in which the two Houses shall be sitting.

Section. 6.

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the Republic of Ezo. They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the Republic of Ezo, which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been encreased during such time; and no Person holding any Office under the Republic of Ezo, shall be a Member of eitherthe House during his Continuance in Office.

Section. 7.

All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the Republic of Ezo: If he approve he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to thatthe House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a Law. But in all such Cases the Votes of boththe Houses shall be determined by yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of eachthe House respectively. If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.

Every Order, Resolution, or Vote to which the Concurrence of the Senate and House of Representatives may be necessary (except on a question of Adjournment) shall be presented to the President of the United States; and before the Same shall take Effect, shall be approved by him, or being disapproved by him, shall be repassed by two thirds of the Senate and House of Representatives, according to the Rules and Limitations prescribed in the Case of a Bill.

Section. 8.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the Republic of Ezo; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the Republic of Ezo;

To borrow Money on the credit of the Republic of Ezo;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian TribesAinu Tribes?;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the Republic of Ezo;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the Republic of Ezo;

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Republic, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the Republic of Ezo, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the Republic of Ezo, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Section. 9.

The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the StatesCongress? now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.Maybe remove this whole section

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State.

No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one State over those of another; nor shall Vessels bound to, or from, one State, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay Duties in another.

No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Section. 10.

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

Article. II.

Section. 1.

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the Republic of Ezo. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; A quorum for this purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.

The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.
Direct Election by Samurai?

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the Republic of Ezo, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the Republic of Ezo.

In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the Same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by Law provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.

The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the Republic of Ezo, or any of them.

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the Republic of Ezo, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the Republic of Ezo."

Section. 2.

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the Republic of Ezo, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the Republic of Ezo, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the SenatorsCongressmen? present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the SenateCongress?, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the Republic of Ezo, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the SenateCongress?, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Section. 3.

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the Republic of Ezo.

Section. 4.

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the Republic of Ezo, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Article III.

Section. 1.

The judicial Power of the Republic of Ezo shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

Section. 2.

The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the Republic of Ezo, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;--to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls;--to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction;--to Controversies to which the Republic of Ezo shall be a Party;--to Controversies between two or more States;-- between a State and Citizens of another State,--between Citizens of different States,--between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.

In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.

The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.

Section. 3.

Treason against the Republic of Ezo, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

Article. IV.

Section. 1.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Section. 2.

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

A Person charged in any State with Treason, Felony, or other Crime, who shall flee from Justice, and be found in another State, shall on Demand of the executive Authority of the State from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the State having Jurisdiction of the Crime.

No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, but shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.

Section. 3.

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the Republic of Ezo; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the Republic of Ezo, or of any particular State.

Section. 4.

The Republic of Ezo shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.

Article. V.

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Housesthe House shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

Article. VI.

All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the Republic of Ezo which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the Republic of Ezo, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the Republic of Ezo and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the Republic of Ezo.

Article. VII.

The Ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the Same.

The Word, "the," being interlined between the seventh and eighth Lines of the first Page, the Word "Thirty" being partly written on an Erazure in the fifteenth Line of the first Page, The Words "is tried" being interlined between the thirty second and thirty third Lines of the first Page and the Word "the" being interlined between the forty third and forty fourth Lines of the second Page.

Attest William Jackson Secretary

done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independance of the United States of America the Twelfth In witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names,

G°. Washington
Presidt and deputy from Virginia

Delaware
Geo: Read
Gunning Bedford jun
John Dickinson
Richard Bassett
Jaco: Broom

Maryland
James McHenry
Dan of St Thos. Jenifer
Danl. Carroll

Virginia
John Blair
James Madison Jr.

North Carolina
Wm. Blount
Richd. Dobbs Spaight
Hu Williamson

South Carolina
J. Rutledge
Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
Charles Pinckney
Pierce Butler

Georgia
William Few
Abr Baldwin

New Hampshire
John Langdon
Nicholas Gilman

Massachusetts
Nathaniel Gorham
Rufus King

Connecticut
Wm. Saml. Johnson
Roger Sherman

New York
Alexander Hamilton

New Jersey
Wil: Livingston
David Brearley
Wm. Paterson
Jona: Dayton

Pennsylvania
B Franklin
Thomas Mifflin
Robt. Morris
Geo. Clymer
Thos. FitzSimons
Jared Ingersoll
James Wilson
Gouv Morris

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 20, 2014

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

I will never support a system in which non samurai may hold positions in our fine senate.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Esahi, a fishery town on the western coast, has long provided the fertilizer for up to one quarter of Japan, thanks to the nearby herring fisheries. It is this government's intention to support the industry and promote vigorous trade, since this market is cut off due to conflict with the Meiji, let us instead seek markets in Korea and China. I leave it up to the Finance Minister to work this item into the budget.

Bill 3-3, The Esahi Fertilizer Promotion Bill

Funds from the government will go towards the promotion of developing the fishing industry in Esahi. These fish will be 'canned', according to methods promoted by Horace Capron, and sold to other nations to be eaten. The waste material will be turned into fertilizers, also to be sold. To this end, a fertilizer factory set up along modern lines will be developed in Esahi, with government support and loans, to develop an industry and trade selling this fertilizer to nearby nations, as well as to improve the fertilization of our own fields and farms.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Takenaka Shigekata
Chief Justice of the Ezo Supreme Court

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I will not even deign to respond to the ridiculous assertions of Otori as he attempts to preserve his position in the face of our Constitution and law. I will ask the Supreme Court to make an immediate assertion, for the benefit of the Republic. Does the President have the authority, as Commander-in-Chief and Chief Executive, to fire one of his ministers? If so, Otori Keisuke is fired.

Litos posted:

The President is never given authority in the United States Constitution or the Ezo Constitution to vacate ministerial positions, this is only implied by his power to replace, but replacement takes a congressional vote. Furthermore, insight is necessary to govern a country, so consider this insight; you cannot fire someone without a replacement. If you are commander in chief, tell me, which battles did you command? When have you done more than hid in your office while brave men died in your name on the front

The Supreme Court will hear Keisuke v. Takeaki. Please have patience while we review the facts of the case and draft a ruling.

Litos
Feb 2, 2013

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Your inability to understand the government that we have established and how it functions does not mean that you get to force the government to work as YOU desire. The lines are being drawn for what is essentially a coup, by what looks to be the Army and Navy Ministers. While I have worked to see Christianity accepted by this government, in their desire for further power and protection, who knows what promises were made between Otori and the Christian faction. I am thus forced to make the following statement with a heavy heart, that Naval Minister Arai Ikunosuke is removed from his position as well.

Questioning my mental competency is laughable. I denounce every one of the claims made against me. I am the Father of the Republic. I will lay the case out for you more clearly. Last season, while I was planning the invasion of Sado and assisting in the running of the affairs of the Republic, Otori was attempting to form factions within my party, rather than face me honorably for the leadership. He claimed it was a mistake, and I foolishly believed him and let the matter stand. This year, his betrayal has become all the more unbelievable. Disobeying a direct order. Attempting to promote himself as the 'Chairman' of the Republican Party. Proclaiming that the President does NOT have the authority to fire his Ministers at will, because he does not have a replacement for those ministers, despite Congress not even having had a vote? Promoting some 'Council of Generals' as having the TRUE authority to decide who leads the army? What is this council of which he speaks, what constitutional authority grants it that power? What exactly is Otori doing in the military? While I was building a school and a new Supreme Court, he was using his time to scheme to take control of the Republican Party and engaging in vote-trading and presenting fiefs to samurai in exchange for their pledges of PERSONAL loyalty to him, NOT to the Republic of Ezo. I ask you, are these the actions of an honorable man who will protect this nation?

Once again, I denounce this madness. I have been and shall continue to fight for CONSTITUTIONAL justice here. I hereby nominate Katsu Kaishū for the position of Naval Minister, and hope that his experience as an Admiral will be sufficient to see him successfully through the confirmation process.

Regarding the attack on the Shogun's wedding, I hereby appoint the Takenaka Shigetaka, High Justice of the Supreme Court, with delivering to me a person suitable to take the position of 'Special Prosecutor'. Considering the nature of this crime, and the possibility that it extends through the highest levels of government, the necessity for independence is critical. The Shogun and Mr. Blakiston will have an official advisory capacity when it comes to choosing the special prosecutor, so that their views are definitely taken into account.

We are approaching what is clearly a constitutional crisis. The military is attempting to destroy the government, what they will erect in its place, I can not say. I ask all friends of the Republic to make their stance clear immediately.

There are no grounds for sacking the Naval Minister other than his protest at the nomination of a suspect of justice until the investigation concludes and proves his non-involvement. Sacking the entire military cabinet in in a time of war and terror is not only paranoid but an abuse of power and obstruction of justice.

You were the father of the Republic but your recent actions are insane. Let me remind you that you did not only plan the invasion of Sado, you planned it in public, and hundreds of men died because Meiji knew exactly where we were attacking. It was not you who did more than propose the invasion; honorable generals planned and fought on the front, and these men you have to thank for victory.

You deny your claims, but Saigo knows and you yourself conceded you wanted to kill him. You are responsible for the murder of 1,000 men out of a harebrained political scheme, and that would have been 5,000.

Noone is at fault but you for your loss of support. You abandoned the party in the elections while you were busy conspiring against Saigo. Now you accuse them of treachery; this is not the way to win our support again. Was it you who was building the school, or your money? Charitable that is indeed, but no certification for your merit as a man.

And as you should well know, you accepted pledges as well, but only because fief granting traditionally entails them. I have not gained anything from receiving pledges, I have quartered my lands and granted them as legitimate reward.

It's good to see however that we have compelled you to subordinate yourself to Congress. No longer does the President claim to be above the rulings of his representatives. This is nothing short of a concession that Presidents have no power of to vacate ministries alone. You have just conceded: I am not fired. I thank you for showing us our constitution and reminding us of its contents, and nowhere in it does it give the President the power to vacate, only the power to propose changes with Congress's support.

Don't play victim, I offered to resign to preserve unity, but you needed a power trip after feeling offended by the challenges delegates had levied to your authority last season. You are not defending constitution because the whole purpose of constitution is to limit the executive; it has taken this whole argument just to get you to concede that the legislature matters for more than bills.

I thank the Supreme Court Justice for his offer but there is another case to attend to as well, if he is willing to hear it. I file Otori v. Tokugawa, declaring that the Shogun is found nowhere in the Constitution and he has no power over daimyo. The Shogun is given the power to elevate by past law, but past law can be overturned, and it does not give him the power to take away estates. The Shogunate Court is compromised of the Shogun and the Daimyo, not the Shogun alone, so even if it were a constitutional body, the 14 year old Shogun has no rights to make decisions in it. This is by no means an affront to the Shogun or his honorable regent who I understand is judiciously shielding and guiding him in this time of adolescence and crisis, as we can follow by an official addition of the Shogun to the constitution, but through legitimate legislative amendment.

Litos fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 20, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Enomoto Takeaki sighed as he drew his katana... "Your understanding of the constitution is... unfortunate." He gestured towards the Congress Hall, "Your last chance to leave this world with a shred of honor, meet me as a man. Your position is lost, but do not lose the sight of the man you were, or at least the man you could have been, a man of honor. A duel to the death, the challenge has been proffered."

OOC: I'm headed to sleep and I won't be around for about 24 hours, got a busy day at work tomorrow, so please don't think I am ignoring anything. I'll catch up with what I'm sure is a lot when I return.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Ataman Hijikata Toshizō, The Demon of the Shinsengumi

Guess I got my work cut out for me. This is going to be a long night.

Before I begin, I like to propose that one to two credits be allocated for the Shinsengumi so that our training facilities and men we recruit will be able to handle any and all problems that will arise and then be able to work toward making our police the pride of the nation.

quote:

Letter to Tokugawa Kamenosuke
My Shogun,

If there is anything I can do to help you in this time of mourning, know that I will be there for you.

With Regards,
Hijikata Toshizō

quote:

Letter to Kasuga Saemon
Dear Kasuga Saemon,

I am glad to hear you are fine. It brings joy to me heart since I would dearly miss the conversations we had. I do suggest you read up on your Augustine though. Sure, this place maybe the City of Man, but surely it would be a blessing to have good Christian man take the position of office. There is only so much being of this world but not part of it can do, especially if you feel that God has called you to the ministry of office. But I digress, I think you realize how busy I am going to be for the next few months. Hopefully it won't impact our talks.

Your brother,
Ataman Hijikata Toshizō

quote:

Letter to Tsukinoeaino
Dear Tsukinoeaino,

Your recent actions have come to my attention and I want to speak to you personally. What will be the best way to contact you? For me, it is through my inbox at (borisstukov at aim dot com) or my personal secretary (platinum). It is nothing bad at all. In fact, it is the opposite.

Hope to talk to you soon,
Ataman Hijikata Toshizō

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

In response to the deposed army magistrate and former samurai, by act of congress it is vested within me to remove the status of samurai, and daimyo as well. Found guilty of gross dishonor you may no longer hold a position in this congress or vote, as you are no samurai only a peasant. This is not up for debate as it is clearly written, and fairly evident.

Daimyo=Samurai
Litos = dirt class serf
dirt class serf= not Samurai
not samurai = not daimyo
therefore
litos = not daimyo

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 20, 2014

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point
Thomas Crusoe, Owner and Proprietor of the Round Eye Saloon

Circling the Wagons
About a month or so ago, in fact a few days before the bombing of Thomas Blakiston's wedding and murder of Tokugawa's sister, the Round Eye Saloon suffered an unfortunate incident. Around 11 PM, one of Nagai Naoyuki's subordinates and a few of his lackeys stumbled into the saloon in a less than clear state of mind. Despite disturbing and threatening some of our wealthy foreign patrons through their sake-saturated breath, we let them stay because their money spent and their threats seemed idle. As the evening proceeded, the Nagai subordinate and his friends decided they'd try their hands at poker. With three hours of cold hands and diminishing pockets, Nagai's subordinate accused my dealer of cheating him. After a few choice words, Nagai's subordinate decided to flip the table in frustration, and he and his lackeys pulled out their knives threatening seemingly everyone. A brief scuffle ensued, where my security was able to subdue these insufferable drunkards and escort them out of the establishment. Unfortunately, as he was gently being escorted out, the subordinate tripped over a bar stool, hit the floor, and cracked all his ribs, broke both his arms and busted up his nose. On the outside, the subordinate promised to "blow up" the Round Eye Saloon if it was the last thing he did in this life.

With this incident along with the Blakiston bombing, I have decided it is in my best interests to beef up security and also enforce pat downs of all patrons entering my joint. And let me be blunt, anyone who dares to actively threaten me or my business will be dealt with extreme prejudice and under my justice.

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point
Thomas Crusoe, Owner and Proprietor of the Round Eye Saloon

Place your Bets!
If Army Minister Otori Keisuke accepts President Enomoto Takeaki's challenge, Thomas Crusoe will be taking bets as who will emerge victorious. As a preliminary wager, place a bet on whether Otori will have the stones to accept the challenge! Odds are 60:40 in favor of Otori's cowardice. (Note: Enomoto and Otori can not place wagers)

Edit: Challenge seemingly accepted. 7:3 in favor of Minister Otori.

mynamewas fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 20, 2014

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Matsumae Takahiro

Letter to the Congress

Honorable samurai of Ezo Republic,

I'm writing this letter with permission of my captor, Takamori Saigo-san. I, Matsumae Takahiro, have been betrayed.

The plan I was informed about by the president would be me holding Satsuma along with Takamori Saigo-san. The Ezo Navy, as I were told, was going to block the passage of the Emperor's Meiji forces. What should have happened next were the republican forces decisively attacking the imperial weak points, forcing them to capitulate. What I didn't expect, was an assassin trying to kill the leader of the rebellion.

I don't know who gave the orders to send a hired killer. No one who was involved in this operation should have done it. This doesn't make sense. If we succeeded, Ezo would be safe from Meiji retribution for years. Trying to murder the man who almost became our ally was not only dishonorable, but also incredibly stupid.

I swear to the kami that I will spend the rest of my life to avenge this betrayal. If I die, either executed by Takamori forces, or the Emperor's, I expect my heir to pursue this matter in my place.

Yours,

Matsumae Takahiro

Litos
Feb 2, 2013

Crazy president, betrayer of Matsumae and a thousand men, harbinger of division, if you insist that Congress must be tainted with the vileness of your blood for generations after our battle, then we will duel on this floor the day of our seasonal recess, open for the viewing of Congress when all their business has cleared.

To Lord Matsumae, I offer my condolences to you for the betrayal of you and your men by our President. He has conceded to the attempted assassination of Saigo, an effort to take control of the rebellion, and a foolhearty attempt to kidnap the Emperor, and I thnak you for your confirmation that your only intent was to assist the rebellion and not to aid his designs. Condolences alone will not free you, and if I survive this duel I pledge my life to freeing you and hope Enomoto will do the same should he emerge by some error in fate's judgement the victor.

Until then we officially advance the following items to the seasonal docket for a vote so that we can confirm truly what political will supports:

Replacement of Otori Keisuke
Replacement of Arai Ikunosuke
Impeachment Enomoto Takeaki

If it's dying you want, you can do it anytime.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The president, buoyed only by a slim majority, seeks to tighten his grip over congress by sacking a man who defied foolish orders from a man content to sit in the Ezo homeland whilst true warriors fight on the battlefields of Sado. Is this really the character of a samurai? He seeks instead to consolidate his own power by murdering the emperor, instead killing the emperor's sister and using this as an opportunity to displace his political rivals.

The president ignores our constitution by forcibly firing a man who has done nothing wrong, therefore I am forced to put it to the floor myself.

Special Bill 1 posted:

-Otori Keisuke is to lose his position as Army Magistrate on the grounds of disloyalty.
-He shall be replaced by Matsudaira Sadaaki

Special Bill 2 posted:

- Arai Ikunosuke is to lose his position as Naval Magistate on the grounds of disloyalty.
- He shall be replaced by Katsi Katsu

I would also like to propose that the investigation into the wedding incident fully investigates the claims made by the army and naval ministers implicating the president in the murder of the shogun's sister.
My sworn brother is a man of honour and would never target the shogun's family, even as they engage in an abandonment of Ezo tradition. The president has proven himself time and time again to be a weak man of compromise and deceit, maybe he targeted the wedding as a compromise to some internal or foreign power. It is to this end that I propose an amendment to bill 3.2

Bill 3.2.2 posted:

Takenaka Shigekata (Chair) (amended from Katsu Kaishu)
Kasuga Saemon
Nagai Naoyuki

-The independent investigation into the murder of Masako and the wedding bombing is to have the power to fully investigate any member of congress, up to and including the president's office.

Surely no sane man can oppose this amendment. I would also like to recommend that a replacement chair is found, as the current chair stands to gain if the investigation into the president is not conducted fairly. I propose that the chief justice either chair the investigation or finds a chair with no conflict of interests

E: It already exists.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 20, 2014

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Katsu Kaishū (勝 海舟)

Namtab posted:

Surely no sane man can oppose this amendment. I would also like to recommend that a replacement chair is found, as the current chair stands to gain if the investigation into the president is not conducted fairly. I propose that the chief justice either chair the investigation or finds a chair with no conflict of interests

I can oppose it, and I will. It is inappropriate for a Supreme Court Justice to act in the capacity of a prosecutor and investigator; as it is, the Court will have oversight on any finding by this Committee by virtue of appointing the judges that shall preside over any case resulting from our findings. Further, I find your veiled assault on my honor to be distasteful; what do I, Katsu Kaishū, have to "gain"? Where is the conflict of interests? I demand that you elaborate on your vile accusations if you are to make them.

It is, further, interesting for me to see a man so known for his hatred of the Gaijin, so known for his friendship with Matsudaira Sadaaki, speak up in the interests of "fairness" in this investigation.

A RICH WHITE MAN fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Perhaps a lawyer, or a specialist in criminal science should head the commission? Rather than a body created for potential political gain, I encourage th creation of a truly non-partisan, unbiased investigatory body.

This is of course no slight against Katsu-san, a man of famed and prodigal mercantile talents.

• Locked thread