Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

urk the quack posted:

According to the NNF twitter, the A/V for the Player's Club will be up later this morning.

E: well, specifically the video, but the two might be related...

Hmm I still don't see the video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Sunday night they'll release the Players Club video

also the video dropped, with the first 18 minutes..well, I won't ruin it. I thought I wasn't going to like it but I turned around pretty dang quickly at a certain point.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

urk the quack posted:

Sunday night they'll release the Players Club video

also the video dropped, with the first 18 minutes..well, I won't ruin it. I thought I wasn't going to like it but I turned around pretty dang quickly at a certain point.

Oh man, can't wait to hear Jimmy give it to Elliot for this. It's hilarious, but Jimmy is gonna take him to task for sure.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I wasn't expecting guests in the extra episodes so seeing Dave Holmes was a nice surprise. I love that it comes out Sunday night as well, I didn't have any podcasts that came out on the weekend prior to this.

Also I've been listening to old seasons and it's really made me miss Dan Katz. They gave him poo poo on the old shows but it is funny how fast he was at looking things up. Besides that he was also just a silly guy in a way Garon isn't, not that I have anything against Garon.

And speaking of old shows, I'm glad they've gotten away from the whole "Never Not Funny Curse" thing like Matt mentioned in the Player's Club ep. Jimmy references 20 obscure people from the 70s per episode so it's not that crazy when one of the ones he talked about happens to die afterwards.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

Greggy posted:

I wasn't expecting guests in the extra episodes so seeing Dave Holmes was a nice surprise. I love that it comes out Sunday night as well, I didn't have any podcasts that came out on the weekend prior to this.

Also I've been listening to old seasons and it's really made me miss Dan Katz. They gave him poo poo on the old shows but it is funny how fast he was at looking things up. Besides that he was also just a silly guy in a way Garon isn't, not that I have anything against Garon.

And speaking of old shows, I'm glad they've gotten away from the whole "Never Not Funny Curse" thing like Matt mentioned in the Player's Club ep. Jimmy references 20 obscure people from the 70s per episode so it's not that crazy when one of the ones he talked about happens to die afterwards.

I was seriously thinking about sending an email requesting Dan as a guest, I've been listening to season 7 lately and I do miss Dan. He would be a fine guest on the Player's Club.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Just got through on the phone to what I assume was a Players Club episode being recorded - I was clearly one of the middle callers because even though on Twitter they were offering that you could win a book (maybe with Jen Kirkman?) they didn't even get into that with me. Still hilarious.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

Adam Scott! Another good episode, was a little sad to see Jimmy explain the AK-47 thing, but he followed it up with another great joke at Elliot's expense.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Is there a Wiki for this show somewhere? I'm a new listener obviously.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

There's Never Not Notes, which is a play by play of every episode. Do you have any specific questions?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Riptor posted:

Just got through on the phone to what I assume was a Players Club episode being recorded - I was clearly one of the middle callers because even though on Twitter they were offering that you could win a book (maybe with Jen Kirkman?) they didn't even get into that with me. Still hilarious.

Which caller were you?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

bobbbyyyyyyy

redz
Sep 19, 2003

So Jimmy mentioned last week that he was going to be on an episode of Maron and this week he reveal's he is shooting a pilot?! I want Jimmy Pardo on my television. On the Conan stage too, maybe it'll be a Conaco production, seems like that would have a better chance of making it.

Apparently he mentioned it on a live episode but I guess I haven't listened to it yet.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
They didn't actually post the SF Sketchfest live episode yet. I hope there are more details on that too.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Riptor posted:

There's Never Not Notes, which is a play by play of every episode. Do you have any specific questions?

I don't have that many specifics. I was just wondering if there was some background on the non-Jimmy people of the podcast. I already know what happened with Andrew Koenig because I vividly remember that news cycle, unfortunately. I would be interested in buying the past episodes that showed how they dealt with his passing though, if you know the #'s. I am also curious as to how Jimmy met Matt. I'm guessing it was through AST?

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

redz posted:

So Jimmy mentioned last week that he was going to be on an episode of Maron and this week he reveal's he is shooting a pilot?! I want Jimmy Pardo on my television. On the Conan stage too, maybe it'll be a Conaco production, seems like that would have a better chance of making it.

Apparently he mentioned it on a live episode but I guess I haven't listened to it yet.

On the Primo episode he mentioned that it was a Conaco production. I really hope it's something great!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Boco_T posted:

They didn't actually post the SF Sketchfest live episode yet. I hope there are more details on that too.

edit: haha I'm an idiot. It was last year's sketch fest.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 11, 2014

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I am also curious as to how Jimmy met Matt. I'm guessing it was through AST?

I think you're right. I've gone through most of the eps at this point and from what I can tell Matt, who was known at UCB for being the "Sasquatch"/AST guy, kind of fell-in to announce some of Jimmy's shows ("Running Your Trap" specifically gets mentioned a lot).

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Did anyone think that last episode with Adam Scott was funny....but a little awkward? Adam seemed rather unenergetic. Still a good episode.

How long are the players club episodes? I plan to sign up for it once I get some extra cash.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I would be interested in buying the past episodes that showed how they dealt with his passing though, if you know the #'s.

They had a special episode to discuss what happened. I forget the season and number, but it was a short 20 minute ep talking about Andrew's passing. I actually think it's free and on the website.

It's an episode that reminds of why I love Jimmy Pardo and this podcast. While it was heartbreaking, Jimmy found a way to express his grief, honor Andrew's contribution to the show and be very funny, all at the same time.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Here's the ep. Between 618 and 619.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Radio Talmudist posted:

Did anyone think that last episode with Adam Scott was funny....but a little awkward? Adam seemed rather unenergetic. Still a good episode.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Hope it doesn't turn new listeners off

Radio Talmudist posted:

How long are the players club episodes? I plan to sign up for it once I get some extra cash.

Same length as the free ones; it's essentially the exact same show (so far, I could see them introducing some changes)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

urk the quack posted:

I think you're right. I've gone through most of the eps at this point and from what I can tell Matt, who was known at UCB for being the "Sasquatch"/AST guy, kind of fell-in to announce some of Jimmy's shows ("Running Your Trap" specifically gets mentioned a lot).
Matt interviewed Jimmy for the AST Radio podcast, which is where the idea for doing a podcast version for Jimmy's Running Your Trap came from. They recorded a few, decided that it didn't really work (Despite the fact that it was a talk show, later rebooted as a game show), redid it and became NNF.

Matt was kind of an infamous guy before that for doing elaborate rundowns of UCB shows on AST that most (if not all) of the comics hated/felt pressured by, which is why the vibe was a little weird in Season 1. Along with, you know, Matt not being a performer at that point.

Also Matt not wearing real pyjamas at a UCB sleepover-themed show was a sticking point for Jimmy.

(Man, I've been listening to this show for far too long.

EDIT: no, really. I was a member of the Laugh Bank. Far too long.)

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 11, 2014

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Matt was kind of an infamous guy before that for doing elaborate rundowns of UCB shows on AST that most (if not all) of the comics hated/felt pressured by, which is why the vibe was a little weird in Season 1. Along with, you know, Matt not being a performer at that point.

I knew Matt did write up of shows but I never knew that comedians disliked them! Interesting. Honestly, the first 60 episodes of NNF rank as some of the finest podcasting I've ever listened to. Not that later seasons with other guests aren't incredible (I obviously stayed for the ride), but man that first season was great. Though it did have some truly uncomfortable moments between Pardo and Mike Schmidt.

It even comes with a crazy plot twist at the end.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Radio Talmudist posted:

Yeah I got that too. I still liked it but Adam Scott definitely seemed a little disengaged. I've heard him on enough podcasts to know he's funny, so I'm guessing they just got him on a bad day.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I thought that was Adam Scott's shtick. It's why he delights me.

Radio Talmudist posted:

I knew Matt did write up of shows but I never knew that comedians disliked them! Interesting.
I think it was about how UCB sets were about guys working on new, rougher material and that the shows were mostly unrecorded and then Matt came along and held a microscope up to them with thousand-word essays summarizing each individual comedian's set. It definitely got under Jimmy's skin.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Yeah honestly hearing how Matt got in to the comedy scene is kind of amazing to me because he really was doing something dumb and unnecessary but when the comedians confronted him about it they seem to have all gone "Oh, well, he's a nice enough guy I guess".

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I also feel that Matt is genuinely hilarious, though in a very unassuming way.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Radio Talmudist posted:

I also feel that Matt is genuinely hilarious, though in a very unassuming way.

It took him a while to get there though. He's painful in season 1 and through part of season 2. It was really great to hear him come into his own, and now I can't imagine the show without him.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

It took him a while to get there though. He's painful in season 1 and through part of season 2. It was really great to hear him come into his own, and now I can't imagine the show without him.

Yeah, I relistened to season 1 recently and he definitely earned his early reputation for tossing out clunkers. It was fun to hear though compared to how he is today.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Greggy posted:

Yeah, I relistened to season 1 recently and he definitely earned his early reputation for tossing out clunkers.
Appleton Wisconsin.

(...love their apples)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Matt has become great on the in studio eps, but he's a loving ace at the live shows.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I just signed up for the players club. Great episodes so far, I love that I'm getting twice the never not funny a week.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
If you bough audio + video, don't forget to occasionally check the audio section for live recordings. Those don't show up on the video player, at least for me.

The Live SF Sketchfest should be released soon, I think.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

urk the quack posted:

If you bough audio + video, don't forget to occasionally check the audio section for live recordings. Those don't show up on the video player, at least for me.

The Live SF Sketchfest should be released soon, I think.

I don't typically listen to the live shows....and I'm not sure why. I remember that a few have some truly hilarious moments (like whenever Pat Francis reads an ebay message). I think I need to fix that starting with this season.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

Radio Talmudist posted:

I don't typically listen to the live shows....and I'm not sure why. I remember that a few have some truly hilarious moments (like whenever Pat Francis reads an ebay message). I think I need to fix that starting with this season.

I was listening to an old live ep and it happened to be the one where a recently widowed woman messaged him through ebay in regards to negative feedback he left her husband. I don't think his letters get any better than that one.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Matt's amazing trash bag story was on a live ep.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Matt's amazing trash bag story was on a live ep.

Probably my favorite moment in nnf history. I remembered his comment during the build up along the lines of "oh, you think you hate me now." and started laughing in my living room seemingly apropo of nothing.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Your way works too posted:

Probably my favorite moment in nnf history. I remembered his comment during the build up along the lines of "oh, you think you hate me now." and started laughing in my living room seemingly apropo of nothing.

I keep hearing about this story but I don't know what live ep it comes from, does someone know the season and episode?

Also, I just want to say that Eliot is clearly a smart, kind and wonderful person....but I could listen to Jimmy rail into him all day. It's honestly like magic to hear Jimmy stop a joke because of an innocuous comment from Eliot....and then go off like a nuke.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Radio Talmudist posted:

Also, I just want to say that Eliot is clearly a smart, kind and wonderful person....but I could listen to Jimmy rail into him all day. It's honestly like magic to hear Jimmy stop a joke because of an innocuous comment from Eliot....and then go off like a nuke.

if my eyes had fists they would be punching you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Radio Talmudist posted:

I keep hearing about this story but I don't know what live ep it comes from, does someone know the season and episode?

I'm almost certain it's from a live episoide from MaxFunCon.

Found it! Live from MaxFunCon 2010. It's a Season 7 Primo bonus episode.

http://pardcast.com/premiumGuest.php?season=season7

tnimark fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 25, 2014