Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

jim truds posted:

The GLOBAL CORPORATION I work for with an environment just like that just bought a small company. If there is any chance that we are talking about the same thing then all I can say is :frogout:

Ha, I dropped you a PM, this could be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

jim truds posted:

The GLOBAL CORPORATION I work for with an environment just like that just bought a small company. If there is any chance that we are talking about the same thing then all I can say is :frogout:

I work for the DoD. We are using cutting edge Internet Explorer 8. The office upgraded from Windows XP sometime last year. :cripes:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Something that DIDN'T piss me off:

A customer was worried about the fact that I don't use ASMlib on my oracle builds. I explained to him why, and he agreed and wants to do it my way in his internal builds!

[for the details, asmlib is a dingus that sets permissions on disks so that oracle, a nonroot process, can read and write directly to them. It's a pain, because if you update the kernel, you have to redo asmlib, or set up dkms (or run oel linux!) none of which we do. Instaed I have udev rules that make it very simple to set up new luns for ASM with no involvement from an admin or DBA, which means no problems updating!]

Krobar
Sep 25, 2003
President - Bob Saget Fanclub

AlternateAccount posted:

It's OnBase as far as I can tell, something to do with their AP system.
I mean I am technically in the IT staff of the new company, but I am the only one locally. No one has ever bothered to brief me on what they use for things or how they operate, etc. It's all just MAKE THIS WORK type directives. Like they haven't even given me a contact and said HEY IF YOU NEED HELP, CALL THIS PERSON. They tell me to call the help desk in Mexico like some kind of fuckin' pleb. Really awful.

edit: I have a feeling that their OnBase version is crusty and ancient, like most every other bit of software. This is what happens when you have a company that you desperately try to sell for two years, and fail. No one's investing in any IT related expenses during that time.

I think you're right about it being an old version of OnBase. We just deployed a new version here last fall and had the reverse problem. Had to create new user desktops in Citrix/Xen (I'm not on that team so not sure of the specifics) so that our users could use it, they have to use a different one for an old custom made app that basically runs the business and needs nothing newer than IE7 or IE8.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo not pissing me off: :yotj:

I got promoted from a 2nd line operations role to an engineering role. So instead of troubleshooting lovely tickets that contain no information more than "PHONE NO WORK PLZ FIX ASAP" I get to worry about the infrastructure, office politics and how I know poo poo compared to the other engineers. Still, I'm very happy.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Verdugo posted:

I work for the DoD. We are using cutting edge Internet Explorer 8. The office upgraded from Windows XP sometime last year. :cripes:
Wait, so you went from XP to Vista?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm currently working with one of our Project Managers to demo/sell a cluster system we build. (Really fast hardware, custom software, ect.) We provided some demo gear and two engineers to integrate their workflow on to our hardware. Two notable things have happened so far:

1) Grabbing random equipment off the shelf for the demo system 100% bit us in the rear end, like normal. Between a bad NIC and 3yr old SAN, I spent far too much time familiarizing myself with their server room.

This leads me to 2): Their network is... terrible- actually everything related to IT there is terrible. Keep in mind: This is a $50mil/yr, 150 person and growing company. Every desktop looks like it was ordered from some company that offers a "We'll build it for you" service. All 100+ of them. There's a stack of mac mini's running individual licensing servers, because virtualization is scary. Next to that are a half a dozen generic NAS boxes, with no backups, stacked on top of more of these "Custom desktops turned server". The only "real" hardware is a few re-branded supermicro white box servers and the HP core switch. The network itself is a flat 192.168.1.x/24 with everything on it. Phones, servers, wifi/guestwifi, desktops/laptops, printers. The cherry on top was last night, talking with one of our engineers who mentioned he noticed an iSCSI connection between three of their servers and main fileserver. I noticed earlier in the week that there was only one network port connected on any of these boxes and they all went back to the core switch. :stonk: It only got better from there, everything appeared to be still setup with the default user/pass/ports- so I browsed over to the main switches web interface to confirm my fears- one vlan... :psyboom:
Voice, data, iscsi, all on one network. Did I forget to mention I was assigned .227 as my IP? I can only hope to get out of here before everything starts to collapse and they try to blame it on us.

The other engineer on the team piped in at this point and reminded me that this is how our office used to be setup before I started. :humblepie:

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 19, 2014

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

Wait, so you went from XP to Vista?

No, XP to 7 -- with IE8.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

gently caress.
I work from home. The other 2 support guys are in the office today. Men's olympic hockey is on. Yeah, lets take a 2-hour-and-counting lunch while the poor guy at home mans support and hasn't eaten yet.

loving assholes. If it was a legitimate meeting or something, cool, but come the gently caress on - don't leave a guy hanging and starving for hockey (ps I love hockey, but I wouldn't gently caress the other guys over).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Siochain posted:

I work from home.

And why don't you have the game on in the background at home? I streamed it on my laptop at my desk here while working.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Moey posted:

And why don't you have the game on in the background at home? I streamed it on my laptop at my desk here while working.

Actually had to deal with tickets/calls. More the fact they bailed before I got to eat which pissed me off. Plus the wife's home sick streaming netflix, and my connections hell right now from ice/snow that got into the underground conduit, so I don't have my normal bandwidth and can't fix it until spring. My life is eternal tears :P Ah well, its all good, I told the other guys to suck on it, we yelled at each other, and life is good again.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW
Sweet, two of my bladeserver motherboards died at the same time.

HP insists that it's not a problem with the chassis, even though this is the second time in 2 months that we've replaced the mobo in one of these servers.

My honeymoon phase with bladesystems in general is long-gone, and in an environment with 6 ESXi hosts it makes absolutely no sense.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

Sweet, two of my bladeserver motherboards died at the same time.

HP insists that it's not a problem with the chassis, even though this is the second time in 2 months that we've replaced the mobo in one of these servers.

My honeymoon phase with bladesystems in general is long-gone, and in an environment with 6 ESXi hosts it makes absolutely no sense.

WAit till you have to upgrade the firmware on a full UCS chassis and you cannot do it because it involves rebooting all the blades on it.

[I think this issue is now fixed, but jumping Jesus on a pogostick did I want to murder a cisco rep for a while]

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Krobar posted:

I think you're right about it being an old version of OnBase. We just deployed a new version here last fall and had the reverse problem. Had to create new user desktops in Citrix/Xen (I'm not on that team so not sure of the specifics) so that our users could use it, they have to use a different one for an old custom made app that basically runs the business and needs nothing newer than IE7 or IE8.

Yow.

I am double pissed because their help desk basically said, "Get IE7 or get hosed, can't help you, bye." I don't really have the ability to just order hardware/software/anything I needed like I used to, so I expect them to get things to where they need to be. Oh, well.
I ended up just creating an XP Mode VM and that worked like a champ.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nitrogen posted:

WAit till you have to upgrade the firmware on a full UCS chassis and you cannot do it because it involves rebooting all the blades on it.

[I think this issue is now fixed, but jumping Jesus on a pogostick did I want to murder a cisco rep for a while]

Are your UCS blades also taped in so the chassis vibration doesn't unseat them? First-gen hardware is awesome.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Dell shipped the wrong part. After missing their ship date. Twice.

And this is at least the third time this has happened in the last couple of months.

And the cherry on top is that in this case, the part was a loving laptop wireless card that they DIDN'T PUT IN THE loving LAPTOP BEFORE SHIPPING IT. HOW. HOW IN THE gently caress DELL.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Logitech, the big huge manufacturer of keyboards and mice, doesn't ship replacement parts to Canada. What the gently caress? They're a big corporation, but shipping things to Canada is just TOOO HAAAAAAAAARD.

That's the stupidest loving thing I've heard in weeks. Who is in charge of their shipping department, a meth-addled hobo who spent the last 8 years in a coma?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

dogstile posted:

So after that weekend work I did in Wales, my boss said "sure, have the next day off". What he didn't tell me was that it was coming out of my overtime (as we either get it as time off in lieu or normal pay, boss gets to decide).

Goodbye, 8 hours of my 34 hour overtime! Should have seen that coming.
If it wasn't specifically said to you in advance (and in writing) that it was going to be coming out of your overtime budget I'd be pushing your HR/payroll department about that, especially considering the other stuff you've posted about that guy. Sounds pretty dodgy to me.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Sat in a Dell chat queue for like two hours today for some reason just to get a laptop hard drive replaced. Got the dispatch number, thought everything was good, but then the Dell guy e-mailed back and asked if I could confirm the part number on the bottom of the mouse, so he could send the right one. E-mailed him back, but got an after-hours out-of-office message. Tried looking up the dispatch and laptop serial numbers, but couldn't find any tickets. Now I'm back in the queue, but it looks like it's only going to take half an hour to reach someone :toot:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Logitech, the big huge manufacturer of keyboards and mice, doesn't ship replacement parts to Canada. What the gently caress? They're a big corporation, but shipping things to Canada is just TOOO HAAAAAAAAARD.

That's the stupidest loving thing I've heard in weeks. Who is in charge of their shipping department, a meth-addled hobo who spent the last 8 years in a coma?

It might be worth asking in the Should I Buy a $100 Mouse thread. One of the regulars there works for Logitech.

fakeedit: I'd link but am on my phone.

real edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 20, 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Here's something that's nice: You know those privacy screens for monitors. 3M will send you replacement hangers for those things at no charge.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mercurius posted:

If it wasn't specifically said to you in advance (and in writing) that it was going to be coming out of your overtime budget I'd be pushing your HR/payroll department about that, especially considering the other stuff you've posted about that guy. Sounds pretty dodgy to me.

I mentioned it to the admin team, I have no idea what's going to happen with it.

Inspector_666 posted:

Dell shipped the wrong part. After missing their ship date. Twice.

And this is at least the third time this has happened in the last couple of months.

And the cherry on top is that in this case, the part was a loving laptop wireless card that they DIDN'T PUT IN THE loving LAPTOP BEFORE SHIPPING IT. HOW. HOW IN THE gently caress DELL.

I have no idea what the hell happened to dell, in the last few years they've just gotten progressively worse as each month passes.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

dogstile posted:

I mentioned it to the admin team, I have no idea what's going to happen with it.
Stay on this

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ynglaur posted:

fakeedit: I'd link but am on my phone.

I posted in a thread on here and linked to an external website while getting up this morning, with my phone. Not trying hard enough ;)

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape

Mercurius posted:

They changed the rules recently at my company: the first 4 hours of overtime per week are not paid out, but 'part of the job'. It doesn't matter when you work these 4 hours. This means that if you work 4 hours on Saturday and 4 on Sunday on any given weekend, the total amount of overtime is 0, because Saturday and Sunday are in different weeks... :downs:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

dogstile posted:

I have no idea what the hell happened to dell, in the last few years they've just gotten progressively worse as each month passes.

They have been the ultimate posterboy for American-style stockprice- and quarterly result-focused management practices.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bokito posted:

They changed the rules recently at my company: the first 4 hours of overtime per week are not paid out, but 'part of the job'. It doesn't matter when you work these 4 hours. This means that if you work 4 hours on Saturday and 4 on Sunday on any given weekend, the total amount of overtime is 0, because Saturday and Sunday are in different weeks... :downs:

The engineers have to deal with that here, working hours are 9 to 5:30, but they're only allowed to claim overtime from 7:00 onwards. I don't get that, you're basically working an hour and a half for free.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bokito posted:

This is the same poo poo they pull at mine for our night shift that we rotate doing. Each shift used to be 11 hours long (10 + 1 hour lunch) and that meant we qualified for extra pay as it was greater than 12 hours in a 24 hour period or some legal poo poo we have here in Ireland.
Then they moved it to a 9 hour shift, starting at 11pm so that you don't get to that pay upgrade trigger as the two hours are on the day before, and the rest after so its 'two' days work.
Now they wonder why no one cares about working hard on night shift.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our awesome shitbag 'backup to WD Greens' 'strategy' is so terrible.

I pulled a set of 4 drives from Jan 2013, to backup this weeks offsite data to, 2/4 of them are bad. :argh:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bokito posted:

What the hell? How is this legal?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bokito posted:

You in the US? Are you paid hourly?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

dogstile posted:

The engineers have to deal with that here, working hours are 9 to 5:30, but they're only allowed to claim overtime from 7:00 onwards. I don't get that, you're basically working an hour and a half for free.

Step 1: Clock out at 17:30 for dinner.
Step 2: Come back, slightly boozed, at 19:30.
Step 3: Profit.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
No Acct. Manager/PM/Field Tech It's not in $KnowledgeBase! I asked for help with getting a floorplan because it wasn't in $KnowledgeBase!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

No Acct. Manager/PM/Field Tech It's not in $KnowledgeBase! I asked for help with getting a floorplan because it wasn't in $KnowledgeBase!
"Did you try just doing everything yourself before bothering me with this 15-second request?"

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

gently caress in-house developers. gently caress them forever.

Me: <open JIRA> Can you tell me which application uses [component]? We'd like to upgrade [component] but don't want to take down all of production to do it.

Developer 1: You need to kick out your users to do any upgrades. That is what we recommend. <close JIRA>

M: <reopen JIRA> But what application uses [component]? In the past we have been able to upgrade on-the-fly as long as no one's using [component].

D2: I don't care what you've done in the past. Kick everyone out. If you bother us again we're involving our team lead! <close JIRA>

Followed by a lecture about how it's not nice to reopen a JIRA. God forbid a lowly engineer wants you to answer one loving question. I pray you get your team lead involved so they can see first-hand how much of an unprofessional asshat you are. :smugissar:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Cenodoxus posted:

Me: <open JIRA> Can you tell me which application uses [component]? We'd like to upgrade [component] but don't want to take down all of production to do it.

Developer 1: You need to kick out your users to do any upgrades. That is what we recommend. <close JIRA>

M: <reopen JIRA> But what application uses [component]? In the past we have been able to upgrade on-the-fly as long as no one's using [component].

D2: I don't care what you've done in the past. Kick everyone out. If you bother us again we're involving our team lead! <close JIRA>

Followed by a lecture about how it's not nice to reopen a JIRA. God forbid a lowly engineer wants you to answer one loving question. I pray you get your team lead involved so they can see first-hand how much of an unprofessional asshat you are. :smugissar:
You should get their team lead, and your manager, involved. If you want to be a total loving dick, but get the job done, also involve an advocate for all the impacted users.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Misogynist posted:

"Did you try just doing everything yourself before bothering me with this 15-second request?"

"What do you mean billing for onsite hourly, travel to/from and additional time spent creating $Documents."

I think I'm legitimately burning or have burned out. It seems like I spend my days now looking just to squeak by. I think it has something to do with being underpaid by a hilarious margin and a FTE offer that I've bitched about on here before, I can't even afford to move out.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

evobatman posted:

They have been the ultimate posterboy for American-style stockprice- and quarterly result-focused management practices.

I don't know, HP is always my go-to example when I'm ranting about short-term gains at the expense of fully every one of your previously loyal customers. Nearly everyone can relate to it too, since most people have owned (what they thought was) a nice inkjet that died after 6 months after pouring $300 worth of color ink into it to print black & white documents.

Cenodoxus posted:

As a former in-house developer, my initial reaction to every post like this is, "gently caress YOU forever" and then I read the rest of the post and get embarrassed on behalf of my entire profession. We aren't all like this! I promise! I for one actually WANT to help the rest of the staff understand my poo poo. If nothing else, the rest of the team having knowledge of systems I created lowers the odds that I'll have to be taken off my current projects to bugfix an old one.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 20, 2014

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Misogynist posted:

You should get their team lead, and your manager, involved. If you want to be a total loving dick, but get the job done, also involve an advocate for all the impacted users.

I went one better. I emailed my question to the lead architect for that particular solution. He's in India, and within 15 minutes he told me everything I needed to know - at 11:45PM India time, no less.

gently caress in-house developers, except one.

fake edit: ^ except two. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Cenodoxus posted:

I went one better. I emailed my question to the lead architect for that particular solution. He's in India, and within 15 minutes he told me everything I needed to know - at 11:45PM India time, no less.

gently caress in-house developers, except one.

fake edit: ^ except two. :unsmith:

How about in house developers who also run your side of things?