Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Nice, that's shaping up quickly. FWIW i agree with you about gamma world, I really like a lot of things about it but the rifts-style mishmash world doesn't do it for me and i prefer the more somber tone of CoQ. If you ever get around to publishing or releasing the Qud world info i would totally use the D&D 4e gamma world box to run a qud campaign.

Since i mentioned it, if you are a tabletop roleplayer the D&D 4e gamma world box is an insane value, i think i got mine shrinkwrapped and shipped from amazon for like ten bucks. You also do not need to buy the skill boosters, the game is complete without them. It's just an artifact of wizards' stupid marketing schtick where everything has to ape the Magic/CCG model.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

Since i mentioned it, if you are a tabletop roleplayer the D&D 4e gamma world box is an insane value, i think i got mine shrinkwrapped and shipped from amazon for like ten bucks. You also do not need to buy the skill boosters, the game is complete without them. It's just an artifact of wizards' stupid marketing schtick where everything has to ape the Magic/CCG model.

I have all Gamma World/Metamorphosis Alpha objects available for acquisition. I almost bought the original 3rd-edition boxed Gamma World cover art painting when it was up on e-bay, but wussed out. Next time, though :argh:

D&D 4e edition is a reasonably good take on it, certainly better than the nanomachines-as-magic junk of the previous attempt. My personal favorite is 3rd edition, and it's module line. Though that might just be because it was my first pen-and-paper RPG ever. (Because my family thought D&D books would speak to me in devil tongues; but hey Gamma World is probably fine! :iiam:)

...also, just as a collector's tidbit, the second edition boxed set has a bunch of content for the bizzare-but-cool maps that are included with 3rd edition boxed set, that aren't referenced anywhere in its books.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 16, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

Less embarrassing:

I don't know if it's the sparser landscape or the multi-colored tiles, but I honestly think this one looks worse than the other one.

Unormal posted:

It's happening. (Joppa loaded from actual CoQ data files, but upside down because Y is reversed in Sproggiwood)

Larger tiles here, too.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

I don't know if it's the sparser landscape or the multi-colored tiles, but I honestly think this one looks worse than the other one.

Larger tiles here, too.

The big advances here are correctly bi-colored tiles, using some of yo voxn's tiles, and correct data loading. Look and feel will probably be a lot different when we get around to actually making it not be hideous.

I zoomed it out here to capture Joppa in a recognizable way, I think we'll go for a more zoomed-in view for the new game proper. The individual levels will likely be much more dense than CoQ level generation. (e: I'll probably allow pinch zoom/drag on the main view, like Sproggiwood)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 16, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

The big advances here are correctly bi-colored tiles, using some of yo voxn's tiles, and correct data loading. Look and feel will probably be a lot different when we get around to actually making it not be hideous.

I zoomed it out here to capture Joppa in a recognizable way, I think we'll go for a more zoomed-in view for the new game proper. The individual levels will likely be much more dense than CoQ level generation. (e: I'll probably allow pinch zoom/drag on the main view, like Sproggiwood)

I like that most people in Joppa keep a pillory in their house. That seems like fun.

Looking at both pictures next to each other, I feel like the mono-color on black helps the imagery stand out more, making the symbols easier to process faster. And the smaller pixels on the map in the new image clash with the large pixels used with the UI, making it look like there is no standard size. The uniform size in the HP/EN placeholder with the map specifically, but you see it with the arrows and "wait" button too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Never been a fan of rectangular tiles, it makes it a pain to judge distance quickly and accurately. Especially with an aspect ratio like the more recent image.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp, reached the important milestone: Walking around murdering everyone. Not bad for a night's work.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Those health bars are neat and a solid addition! I wish more roguelikes were open to communicating more information to players visually like that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

Welp, reached the important milestone: Walking around murdering everyone. Not bad for a night's work.

You know what, it looks like the color thing isn't that bad and it was just the zoom level. This shot looks good.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Man ADOM has a lot of dickish ways to kill you. Apparently it's possible for the upstairs to be in a dark room that also contains a river. I hit left a few times and I was dead from drowning before I realized what was happening.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Every time I see someone talk about Joppa I think of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUZ7yiJQ2w

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I didn't manage to finish my bakery roguelike last year so this year I might take a week off work to do something which I have already started planning. Is anyone else here planning on doing anything?

I'm kinda thinking of doing a Spartacus style arena combat game, but I'm still trying to think of a way to make 1v1 equal combat interesting and varied in a roguelike.

I'm not entirely sure if it should be borrowing Sil mechanics (wait one turn and gain focus and defense / spears let you get an attack of opportunity when an opponent moves into your space, etc) or an active skill bar like Tome4.

Is there a roguelike that does 1v1 duels well without resorting to weapon/item gimmicks?

Goffer fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 16, 2014

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Throw in terrain hazards and powers that let you control positioning by throwing your enemy / yourself around. Nothing quite like winning by shield bashing your opponent into a spike pit / lava pit / giant blender, etc.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Without asking you to actually give it away (unless you want to), is CoQ set in a specific part of the present-day Earth and are there enough hints to work out where it is? Or is it more of a "the continents have cracked and shifted and nothing is recognizable any more" kind of deal?

Unormal posted:

Well yes and no; we have a reasonably developed backstory for the world and a good idea in-general for where it's set, and a set of rationale for why the environment is the way it is, and how it relates to the current world; but it's a vast amount of time in the future, so it's not anything directly corollary like Wacky Adventures in Apoclyptic Suburban NewJersy with Guido the Turtleboy. We always loved a lot of gamma world, but never the specific so-close-to-apocalypse-youre-adventuring-in-your-local-mall-plus-mutants setting elaboration; so this was, essentailly, an attempt to fuse the good (as defined by us) subset of Gamma World with a lot of other influences into an original work.

I'm going to be a little more terse and somewhat contradictory and say: there are hints.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?
For anyone interested, we have a pretty big cache of supplemental material for our pen and paper setting that Qud is part of -- like Unormal said. Now that we're revamping freeholdgames.com, we'll probably make a lot of it available. Stuff like this expands on some of the fringe elements of Qud that play larger roles in the greater Freehold setting:

The Tribes of Men is a travelogue and oral tradition of the desert-dwelling dromad merchants. It is an account of the myriad humanoid civilizations the dromad have encountered and with whom they've traded over the courses of their lengthy treks across Moghra'yi, the Great Salt Desert.
[edit] The Tribes

The Wading Men - The slugmounters of Ettinspine and the Pale Sea salt marshes
The Gathered Men - The citizens of the colossal desert freehold Nanru
The Hidden Men - The denizens of the comb-cave freeholds found throughout the Sunderlies
The Kneeling Men - The Odrumian disciples of the Eustace-sutta
The Wrathful Men - Called the salt eaters; the manscorpions of northeastern Moghra'yi
The Screaming Men - The cavern-dwellers of the rust-caves of Qud
The Breathless Men - The men of the jungles of Yyp, specifically the citizens of Ekuemekiyye, the Holy City
The Vanished Men - The long-dead race of giants that perished crossing the salt desert
In their chronicles, the dromad refer to themselves as the Thirstless Men.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
COQ is my favourite roguelike. I love the fascinating setting, the beautiful ascii and the actual gameplay. It reminds me of the Dark Tower series, as well as Gamma. Long life and fresh water freehold, I thank thee.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Agreed on all accounts! I know next to nothing about Gamma World, but CoQ reminds me of Dark Tower a lot, yeah. Especially the early books, with the weirdo cyborg bear and intelligent supersonic train.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you guys recommend me a roguelike? I've tried dungeon crawl and it's really fun, but I'm looking for something with a bit more depth. I really enjoyed Cataclysm DDA and would love to play something that was a cross between the constant action packed stuff of DCSS, and the way Cataclysm's Progression seems to have awesome crazy stuff. Like in Cataclysm you start out with nothing but your clothes, then you pick up a rock, then you make a wooden sword, then you go into town, and like 8 days later you're driving a murdervan filled to the gills with crazy guns and what not.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If you want something that has a bit more depth and relies mostly on action, ToME is probably right up your alley as it focuses pretty much entirely on tactical combat.

Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604865

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Caves of qud. It even has a power curve similar to what you describe assuming you live long enough to see any of it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Snagged it, because gently caress it, it's $.99. Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

It's got some fairly decent ideas, such as:

-So far as I can tell, every character starts off the same, you have no armor, your fist, a Crawl-magic-dart-esque spell, and a self buff bless, and how your character evolves is based around what you use, sort of like Crawl's skills. If you cast the magic dart skill a bunch, your magic stats go up. It differs from Crawl in that your spells also level up with use, and as you gain more spell stat levels, you unlock new spells, which get further randomized. I started casting some dark magic spell called Black Tentacles or something, and my dark magic skill went up, and eventually I got another dark magic skill, plus a couple of necromancy skills eventually. There seems to be a similar setup for melee skills.

-The profiles seem like cool ideas, though I didn't mess around with them at all. There's Hardcore, which is regular roguelike permadeath, Lucky, which says they get random bonuses through the game, including one extra life, Hoarder, which brings a portion of its gold when starting a new character after the old one dies, Collector, which keeps most of its gems (which I think are used for crafting/enchanting or something) between runs, and Races, which gives different race options, which are mostly just stat adjustments (extra dex and spirit at a cost of constitution, etc).

-An interesting defense mechanic, where most things have the ability to block, dodge, or parry attacks. I assume they're based off of stats and equipment to some degree, but I'm not sure. Anyway, they work almost like automatic skills, if you or an enemy dodges an attack, for example, the dodge goes on a kind of cooldown and can't trigger until it refreshes. Combat is supposedly built around breaking through these defenses, with skills and spells interacting with them differently. For example, the help page mentions a Feint ability that will presumably trigger one of them to some benefit, I guess, while different types of spells interact with them in different ways. AoE spells are harder to dodge, touch spells are the only ones to be parried, some spells hit multiple times, giving better chances to break through defenses. Spells also have cast times, where stuff like bolt spells take a couple of turns to cast, but are more accurate,touch spells cast quickly, but as mentioned can be parried.

Now, the bad:

-The interface sucks out loud. The eight-directional 'd-pad' is extremely finicky, and it's hard to accurately hit the direction you want, at least on my phone. You only have a health and mana/stamina/whatever bar, plus indicators for dodge/block/parry, for you and enemies. No numbers, no indicator for how much an enemy might do in an attack, nothing.

-There's no way that I could tell to look at an enemy, and there's not even a name until combat actually happens ("The kobold/centipede/dickbutt dodged your attack/hit you with a stick/dicked your butt.")

-Spells just show up on the right side of your screen as buttons to cast them. They give some information about what the spell does, actual numbers for damage and such (which is useless because you can't tell how much health an enemy actually has), but it's very sparse. Additionally, it seems like there's no continuity to what spells you have available, beyond a basic "The more you use the spell, the more likely it is to stick around." I got two necromancy spells at once, and I cast one of them a couple of times, and the other one just disappeared forever. This might be an intentional thing, but if so, there's no explanation or warning. They also shift around their order seemingly at random, and I think there's a limit on how many you can have at once., basically how many fit on your screen. I was running around just slinging spells for a while, and had my spell 'bar' filled out with spells, then I hit things with a hammer I found a few times, and 3/4 of my spells were replaced with "Hit this thing in a different way with your weapon" skills, with my only two spells remaining being the necro spell I'd been casting, and the basic magic dart spell I'd spammed a bunch at the beginning. There doesn't seem to be a way to cast spells that aren't on hte right side of your screen. The game also apparently handles you having too little Force power to cast a given spell by temporarily removing it from your bar, instead of greying it out or something sane.

-There's no way o wait in place or rest, all you can do is move back and forth between two spaces (which is fun with the finicky d-pad), and health/rage-juice doesn't regenerate during combat, and seems to take an arbitrarily random (and sometimes really long) amount of time to start regenning. Once it does, though, you regen to full in like four turns, and there's no food clock, so there's no reason not to spam left/right after each and every fight.

-You can't move your view around to look at the level, so the only thing you can see is the 7x7 or so grid directly around your character, some of which is behind UI elements such as the combat log. They're translucent and can be tapped-through to target enemies behind them, but still, what the hell. Other than that, you have a lovely minimap that can't be expanded and provides very little useful information.

-There are no spellbooks from what I can tell. There's potions, wands, and scrolls, but if you want new spells or skills, you have to equip the correct weapon or hope you still have a spell in the area you want to train, and hope doing so doesn't get rid of what you are currently using.

-The documentation is literally just three pages with two paragraphs each, giving very general basics without going in-depth into anything at all.

-I mentioned that you start with just your fist for a weapon? Yeah, it's actually a weapon that gets put into your backpack when you equip something else, and can be dropped for pack space :laffo::laffo: :wtc:. I can only imagine that it's actually a Hulk Hand or something, which you have to put on if you want to punch some dude in the face. No idea if there's other hands that you can replace it with with better stats.

In short, stick with Pixel Dungeon, this wouldn't even be worth it if it was free.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is Occult Chronicles any good? I tried the demo and it was okay, if a bit confusing. But I'm not dropping 20 bucks on it unless it's nothing less than stellar.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Is Occult Chronicles any good? I tried the demo and it was okay, if a bit confusing. But I'm not dropping 20 bucks on it unless it's nothing less than stellar.

It really depends on if you like it or not, if you weren't really enjoying the demo then you probably won't like the full game.
Personally I find it fun, although it was a bit confusing how all the perks and edges and stuff worked at the start.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

andrew smash posted:

Throw in terrain hazards and powers that let you control positioning by throwing your enemy / yourself around. Nothing quite like winning by shield bashing your opponent into a spike pit / lava pit / giant blender, etc.

Sounds great. That way I can add small underground arenas with spiked walls and fire pits, larger arenas with lions and stuff. Yay variety!

I might do some kind of guildwars2-esk thing for skills - give the main hand weapon 3 skills, the off-hand 2 and some extras the player can learn. That way you can pick up weapons off the ground and immediately have them be useful. No backpack allowed, starting off nekkid.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Goffer posted:

Sounds great. That way I can add small underground arenas with spiked walls and fire pits, larger arenas with lions and stuff. Yay variety!

I might do some kind of guildwars2-esk thing for skills - give the main hand weapon 3 skills, the off-hand 2 and some extras the player can learn. That way you can pick up weapons off the ground and immediately have them be useful. No backpack allowed, starting off nekkid.

If you haven't seen it, check out card hunter for some ideas on how equipment granting combat powers can work. In that basically your character has a deck of actions determined by your equip slots. An empty slot gives you a set of generic actions, they get replaced by better or more specialized powers when you equip something. You then draw a hand of actions each turn. It's not perfect, there are some things I don't like about it but its pretty slick all in all.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Played with it for a bit and it's a pretty neat system, not too far from what I had in mind (in terms of skill swapping).

The other thing I'm probably going to try to implement is some kind of ego shield, a bubble that protects you from harm until it reaches 25% or less. Taunting, crowd cheering, being humiliated and doing satisfying executions could harm as much as a sword blow or heal you like a potion. Taunting could be context sensitive too, taunting a fresh opponent would effect them differently to one who is stunned from a shield bash or trapped in a net. Said mechanics, taunting a stunned opponent might break their ego allowing for an execution, or it may harden their resolve, lengthening the fight - to the delight of the crowd.

That way I can have some quick kill chaff dudes with low ego and drawn out hero fights against overinflated egos.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Time for my first Darkforge raid in ADOM. let's see what their legendary armor cache has in store...

:argh:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Qudchat: the presence of "Bethsaida" made me think Qud is somewhere in New England at first, though a cursory Googling reveals there are Bethesda hospitals all the hell over. The geography itself doesn't lend itself too well there, though.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

packetmantis posted:

Qudchat: the presence of "Bethsaida" made me think Qud is somewhere in New England at first, though a cursory Googling reveals there are Bethesda hospitals all the hell over. The geography itself doesn't lend itself too well there, though.

Why New England? Admittedly I'm not from new England so I might be missing something but Bethesda Susa made me think Maryland which is definitely not New England.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Not to totally derail your post and prove how new to roguelikes I am, but what tiles are those and where do I get them??? I can't seem to Google them, but I would get back into ADOM if it looked that awesome.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

brother-joseph posted:

Not to totally derail your post and prove how new to roguelikes I am, but what tiles are those and where do I get them??? I can't seem to Google them, but I would get back into ADOM if it looked that awesome.

Development of adom is active again, those tiles are one of the new features.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

andrew smash posted:

Why New England? Admittedly I'm not from new England so I might be missing something but Bethesda Susa made me think Maryland which is definitely not New England.

Also the town is called Joppa, which is one of the main-ish road right down the street here in northern Batimore.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

brother-joseph posted:

http://www.ancardia.com/download.html - you want the one WITH noteye integration. there's supposed to be a major new release due soon, but who knows if it'll actually be public right away.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
Thanks guys, I'll definitely be downloading this tonight. ADOM was my first real roguelike but I've gotten so spoiled I can't play ASCII anymore.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

andrew smash posted:

...shhhhh, that's what I meant. I'm just bad at geography. :saddowns:

(ETA: Also I'm from the South, so everything north of Tennessee is New England.)

packetmantis fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 21, 2014

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

brother-joseph posted:

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be downloading this tonight. ADOM was my first real roguelike but I've gotten so spoiled I can't play ASCII anymore.

*cough* Well there's always this little game here:
http://www.dungeonmans.com/?page_id=290
Preview version remains on the free and you can crush monsters all day. AND I could really use the feedback, the more players the better!

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

andrew smash posted:

Yeah, it was Joppa and Bethesda being ingame that made me think it was Maryland. Until Unormal disabused me of that notion a few pages back, of course.

e: Also, since virtually all of my time spent on Joppa Rd is traveling to/from an awesome restaurant for Peruvian chicken, I get incredibly hungry most times I play CoQ.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 21, 2014

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Yeah, it was Joppa and Bethesda being ingame that made me think it was Maryland. Until Unormal disabused me of that notion a few pages back, of course.

e: Also, since virtually all of my time spent on Joppa Rd is traveling to/from an awesome restaurant for Peruvian chicken, I get incredibly hungry most times I play CoQ.

Is it Pollo Grande near Loch Raven? I walk there for lunch sometimes.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

madjackmcmad posted:

Is it Pollo Grande near Loch Raven? I walk there for lunch sometimes.

Yup! I go there once or twice a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Yeah but hand of luke kind of said the opposite so it could go either way.