Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A Meat posted:

Is the final battle between Snake and Napoleon going to be a Yu-Gi-Oh! match?

Don't tempt me. I used to be a huge Yu-Gi-Oh fanatic, right until Konami stopped releasing video games for YGO. (Hey, it was the only way I could play with AAALLLLL the cards!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Big Boss would just fashion the deck into a house of cards Cardboard Outer Heaven, and claim victory.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Speedball posted:

Don't tempt me. I used to be a huge Yu-Gi-Oh fanatic, right until Konami stopped releasing video games for YGO. (Hey, it was the only way I could play with AAALLLLL the cards!)

You could download DevPro, it's a duel simulator, I and a bunch of other guys on SA use it. C'mon we could make a Napoleon/Snake decks, play it, and that can be their final battle.

Oh, and Montezuma would have totally used the Aztec Dragons.

drat it they're Inca dragons. Oh well, failing that he always has THE SUPEREMACY SUN

Genghis's would definitly focus on swarming the field, and since it's very simple to say "Warriors" I'm not going to say warriors and instead say Tin Goldfish/Gadget spam to Rank 4 out the rear end? Or hell maybe he would run X-Sabers. Given what Shaka did this run he would probably love Infernity... or just to be a complete loving rear end in a top hat Blackwings.

Ashur could use Rocks of course, Potentially just Chronomaly with the whole history focus? or Artifacts. Both work.

Attila would challenge Snake to a Riding Duel maybe Gladiator Beasts?

Alexander could easily use Noble Knights, Constellar, Vylon, something that looks "Heroic"

and Napoleon, if this is the final boss battle, SHMUPS deck.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 20, 2014

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Speedball posted:

Yeah, same here, I'm pretty much stuck in my YGO knowledge where they stopped making the DS games (Konami release the new 3DS YGO game in the US already).

I bet Snake would insist on playing some dumb gimmick deck, like Frogs, and would never ever agree to change that.

Keeping in tone with the LP, Alexander would play some sort of Psychic deck.

VVV Frogs ain't a bad gimmick deck, but it's a gimmick nonetheless.

A Meat fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 20, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

A Meat posted:

Yeah, same here, I'm pretty much stuck in my YGO knowledge where they stopped making the DS games (Konami release the new 3DS YGO game in the US already).

I bet Snake would insist on playing some dumb gimmick deck, like Frogs, and would never ever agree to change that.

Keeping in tone with the LP, Alexander would play some sort of Psychic deck.

Hey don't knock the Frogs, one of my friends plays frogs. And yes you are correct I completely overlook the Psychics.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I'm just hoping Snake counters with Project R-Type.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Speedball posted:

Funny you say that actually, as whilst there WAS a longer than usual gap between the last releases...

Here

Now, hard to say if/when this would ever get an English release, but its out there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh, god. Yugioh is the last thing I want to see in either MGS or Civ, guys. :(

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hey this thread got Madoka derailed. To a much greater degree.
Yugioh is much closer to my heart than that will ever be. :colbert:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Speedball posted:

And in all my excavations, I found quite a new gladius.

Nobody else called this out specifically, so I'm going to. :golfclap: Is this why Caesar isn't in this game?

(I was only recently pointed to this thread after enjoying the old G&K thread immensely. Good show! I'm usually a vocal critic of Kojima's Kojimosity but you have convinced me that he has a bright future in LPs.)

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
That was worth the wait, I don't want this LP to end!

Someone needs to make sure anybody at Konami reads this LP. Someway, somehow.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Napoleon, what are you-
Napoleon, no.
Put that back. Put that back this instant.

(Good god, Never stop LPing :allears:)

E: Next boss fight: Army of Mecha-Napoleons?

Valgaav fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 20, 2014

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Hey so a return to our "Oda Nobunaga was AWESOME" off-topic we had a few pages back:
Today I founda manga called "Nobunaga no Chef" which shold translate to "the Chef of Nobunaga". Seems fun so far.

Young_Gun94
Feb 19, 2014
You know poo poo gets real when the starfighers begin getting thrown into the works, Liquid Snake style.

Valgaav posted:

Napoleon, what are you-
Napoleon, no.
Put that back. Put that back this instant.

(Good god, Never stop LPing :allears:)

E: Next boss fight: Army of Mecha-Napoleons?

Better. Clone army. Les Enfants Terribles on a GRAND SCALE.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Speedball posted:

YGOPro is a thing. I made a thread for Anime-based Card games in ADTRW. (Hunder supremacy)

On Topic that was a wonderful boss fight and I can't wait to see where this goes.

Young_Gun94
Feb 19, 2014
Oh dear god, now I have the image of Big Boss calling out Napoleon or another Civ to settle things man-to-man with a children's car-I mean, Duel Monsters. Sorry, I don't even know where that came from. Damnit Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged. :argh:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQOf1-EdUjk <-- I had this in my head the whole time I was writing that. It was fun as hell, let me tell you.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Young_Gun94 posted:

Better. Clone army. Les Enfants Terribles on a GRAND SCALE.

No, no, no. Napoleon isn't what you'd call human. He's a consciousness that formed over the past hundreds of years layer by layer in the crucible of the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre. It's not unlike the way life started in the oceans four billion years ago. They were his primordial soup, a base of evolution.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Speedball posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQOf1-EdUjk <-- I had this in my head the whole time I was writing that. It was fun as hell, let me tell you.

Then why didn't you make it transform? :(

seriously though this lp is the best thing ever and I don't want it to end :(

BenRGamer posted:

No, no, no. Napoleon isn't what you'd call human. He's a consciousness that formed over the past hundreds of years layer by layer in the crucible of the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre. It's not unlike the way life started in the oceans four billion years ago. They were his primordial soup, a base of evolution.

The point of that line in MGS2 was just to gently caress with Raiden, right? (Which honestly kind of disappoints me. I'd much rather that than the Patriots be Snake's dad and his buddies.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Queen Fiona posted:

Then why didn't you make it transform? :(

seriously though this lp is the best thing ever and I don't want it to end :(

Debated this myself! I settled for it switching between hover and flight modes instead of being a robot. Need to reserve the giant robot fight for the inevitable conclusion, of course.

quote:

The point of that line in MGS2 was just to gently caress with Raiden, right? (Which honestly kind of disappoints me. I'd much rather that than the Patriots be Snake's dad and his buddies.)

It…may have been more than just that, actually. While a lot of MGS4 debunked MGS2, there's still enough really, REALLY weird crap going on in MGS2 that isn't fully explained away. The Patriots never actually speak in MGS4 and the inside of Arsenal looks totally different.

Memes require technology to give them shape, for example. So technology that can actually think for itself can become a repository of living memes.

If you want the most insightful video I have ever seen on MGS2, look no further than this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

He starts off with a really awesome explanation of what "postmodernism" is and prefaces it with "Basically, a hundred years ago, time and space compressed and everyone went crazy."

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 20, 2014

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
So let’s talk about something I brought up during our conversation about the Zulu “Bulls Horn” formation: The Phalanx.

I was later corrected about the information I gave regarding the phalanx, and would like to explain where I was wrong for those interested and cover the difference between the Macedonian Phalanx that I was talking about and the more common Greek Phalanx. Because there is a big difference.

To sum it up quickly, The Greek Phalanx was slightly more versatile than the Macedonian Phalanx due to it’s primary armament being smaller and was the main battle arm of the Greek armies while their Macedonian counterpart was not the main arm. It is of course way more complex than that, but that’s history for you.

The Phalanx: It’s old. Real old. We have depictions of something similar to it as far back as the 25th century in Sumeria. The Greek Phalanx dates back to either the traditional 8th century date in Sparta or the newer, more likely 7th century date in Argos with the invention of the aspis shield (also known as the hoplon). Either way, it quickly came to dominate the warfare of the Greek City States.

The phalanx itself is a densely packed rectangular formation of heavy infantry 8 to 12 men deep, armed with spears and large shields. The Greek Hoplite, the base component of the Phalanx, was typically armed with a short 6 foot spear, a short sword and their trademark hoplon shield. Their armor varied by region and period, but for the most part it was either a bronze cuirass and limb guards or a linen cuirass and limb guards. Earlier you go, the heavier; later, the lighter. They also had the distinct Corinthian helm which I will go in-depth about if we talk about the Roman legions, but suffice to say was characterized by an enclosed helmet with face, cheek and nose guards.

The hoplites in the Greek world were citizen-soldiers. Freeborn men who could afford to outfit themselves with the bronze arms and armor of the day. With the exception of the Spartans, they were not professional soldiers. They were butchers, bakers and candlestick makers who moonlighted as warriors.

For the Greeks, warfare was centered around this unit and its formation. It was versatile and mobile because of its surprisingly light armament. The shield was mostly wood with a bronze facing, the armor was made of linen and the weapons were small. It was employed in mostly infantry-centered armies, often backed by smatterings of cavalry and javalineers and slingers. Seige warfare was rather undeveloped, so conflicts between Greek citystates were often decided in single set-piece battles with low casualty counts (usually never amounting to more than 5%).

But what about those Macedonian Phalanxes I kept harping on about earlier? Well we need to talk a bit about where they came from and the world they emerged into before we talk about them.

The Macedonian Phalanx is a direct decendent of the Greek Phalanx. It was refined by Epaminondas of Thebes during the Battle of Lectura in 371 BC. This was after the Peloponnesian War in which Sparta kicked Athens in the face so hard the Spartans became the defacto power of the entire Greek world. After the short Corinthian War, where Athens and her old allies tried to rebel, Thebes decided it was their turn to try and end Spartan Hegemony. Epaminondas turned Greek warfare on it’s head by stacking his left flank to an utterly absurd depth of 50 men and staggered back his center and left so they would avoid engagement. With this ran roughshod over the Spartan right. Where the Spartans usually put their most elite troops. With the Spartan core done and dusted, the rest of the force was sent running for the hills and Thebes then exerted it’s hegemony over Greece.

That didn’t last. They suffered under manpower issues and a rebellion of their own after which everyone was pretty exhausted from all this rebellion and empire building and stuff.

During this whole period, Philip II of Macedon was studying under Epaminondas. Some of you might know who Philip II of Macedon is. If you don’t he’s no body really important. Just the father of Alexander the Great.

So when Philip went back to be king Macedon, he took everything he learned from old Epaminondas and applied it to his army.

The Macedonian Phalanx though was a far different beast than the Greek one. First, it’s soldiers were not just average Joes who could buy some shiny pokey bits and had the inclination to stab some dudes. They were called Phalangites; some of the oldest professional soldiers. They had the crazy innovation of military drills. These guys were better able to perform complex maneuvers than their Greek counterparts. And had a much more steely resolve because of it. That was important. The soldiers them selves were armed similarly, Spear, shield, sword and heavy armor. The difference was the spear. The sarissa. While the greek Hoplite used a short 6 foot spear, the Phalangites had a god drat 18 foot pike. These guys formed a phalanx similar to the Greek one, 8 to 12 men deep, and held the center position of the formation. But they weren’t the main offensive force of the Macedonians.

That was the cavalry. Something the Greeks didn’t use much. They had two sections of cavalry, the allied Thessalian cavalry on the left, and the Companions on the right. The Thessalians fought in a rhomboid formation and were primarily there to ward of enemy cavalry charges, while the Companions in the right fought in deep wedge formations and were there to crash into the enemy and break them from what ever angle they could get. The classic “hammer and anvil” was a favorite of Alexander.

He used the Phalanx as a base to hold his foes in place while he led his Companions in around back and stomped on their faces with their horses.

There is far more too the Macedonian formation than that with a full fledged skirmish line up front, cores of light infantry and cavalry on both flanks and an increased usage of ranged weapons. Their greatest innovation wasn’t big spears or cavalry though, but mobility. Alexander won some battles by simply being there a few days early.

But what ever happened to the old Greek Hoplite? Well, they didn’t go away. Alex still used them. He had a core of them on his right flank right between the Companions and Phalanxes. They just got called Hypaspists and were used to guard the exposed flanks of the unwieldy Phalanx.

Oh yeah, the phalanx was hella unwieldy. While nearly invulnerable from frontal assault, they were really vulnerable to flanking, and as the Romans proved, poo poo when you got in real close with heavy infantry.

The Macedonian Phalanx has had a rather lasting impact through out history. The famous Swedish pike-men designed their formations after them. The Romans occasionally tried to revive it. One emperor even went so far as to draft up 16,000 Macedonian men and made an entire force out of them, naming their officers after officers in Alexander's army. And of course, their usage of drills filtered over to Rome and paved the way for one of the greatest military machines to ever exist.

But the Roman Legion is an entirely different beast. Which if that last post is anything to go buy, I will get to talk about them soon. Joy!

EDIT: Somewhere along the way, I got my measurements confused, the Greek Hoplite had a 6 foot spear.

The Mighty Biscuit fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 20, 2014

Young_Gun94
Feb 19, 2014

BenRGamer posted:

...You should write a book. :o

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BenRGamer posted:

Now I have this horribly racist image of an AI avatar of everything that is French in mind. Thanks a lot.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Now I have this horribly racist image of an AI avatar of everything that is French in mind. Thanks a lot.

Does it have a little vector beret and thin long mustache?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's also nibbling on a virtual baguette.

Young_Gun94
Feb 19, 2014
And Cecile's staring at it, thinking "I do not know if I should be offended, or just roll with this."

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

BenRGamer posted:

"Ceci n'est pas une meme."

Young_Gun94
Feb 19, 2014

Speedball posted:

And in all my excavations, I found quite a new gladius. Let me show it to you! Ignition.

oh my god I just got why he said Gladius instead of Gradius.

Somehow either sounds equally badass.

EDIT: Whoops. Took me a bit to get that quote right.

Young_Gun94 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 21, 2014

virtual256
May 6, 2007

Speedball posted:

If you want the most insightful video I have ever seen on MGS2, look no further than this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

He starts off with a really awesome explanation of what "postmodernism" is and prefaces it with "Basically, a hundred years ago, time and space compressed and everyone went crazy."

This is well worth the half hour spent watching it. High production values and beautifully twisted content! Really makes you think.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
I wonder how well Big Boss will do if Napoleon is a vampire.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Speedball posted:

Never got the chance play MGS4 for the plot comparison, but that was an awesome video.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

BenRGamer posted:

That is REALLY loving fitting for the nature of the Civ leaders. I mean, take the standard joke of Gandhi and Nukes. He's set to 12. Even if he didn't want to build and launch the nukes, he has to launch the nukes, even though it goes counter to everything he stands for(But that in itself is only part of the truth-I understand he advocated 'never stop fighting' and use of force as backup). Even though he knows better.

We have a person known to be insane in history(Portugal's leader), but fine here. We have a conglomeration of both history and silly, in-jokes and references to other things. We've also got 'what-ifs' like Polynesia, which never united itself properly as it did here(Hell, there's a scenario about this 'what-if'. And yet everything idealised, you can act as you please.

Hell, players are free with the nukes and total destruction going by the main Civ thread and hate AI for basically everything.(Also for being stupid in terms of the game system, but that's neither here nor there...or is it?) Real quick to go to war, too. Why? It's a game. It doesn't matter. To 'gently caress the AI' as we go to space or whatever.

Kojima in MGS2 mode would have a ball de-constructing this kind of thing. To say nothing of mods.

All I have in my head is something along the lines of 'You think you looking at Wu Zetian. You are not. But what of it? Out there, I-she-was a woman of power and pride such that I was 'written out' of that race's history. Here I am absolute. Here I am powerful, respected, beloved, in a way I could never be there.'

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 21, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

But the Roman Legion is an entirely different beast. Which if that last post is anything to go buy, I will get to talk about them soon. Joy!

You should definitely talk about the Roman Legion; an incredible engine of warfare that evolved into a machine that literally changed the world.

Bloodly posted:

That is REALLY loving fitting for the nature of the Civ leaders. I mean, take the standard joke of Gandhi and Nukes. He's set to 12. Even if he didn't want to build and launch the nukes, he has to launch the nukes, even though it goes counter to everything he stands for(But that in itself is only part of the truth-I understand he advocated 'never stop fighting' and use of force as backup). Even though he knows better.

Gandhi also never actually believed that everyone should ascribe to the path of nonviolence; he knew that the path of nonviolence required massive mental strength and faith and that not everyone was capable of that, furthermore he knew that many people would use it to hide their own cowardice. While he himself would never have engaged in killing, if somehow Gandhi was forced into a situation where fighting really was the only option he would almost certainly use absolutely every single tool in his arsenal to end that fighting as quickly and decisively as possible. Gandhi was a big believer of losing the least total number of lives in the long term no matter how many had to be lost in the short term.

Given that; having him never declare war on his own but come down like a nuclear hammer on anyone who declares on him is somewhat in character.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Bloodly posted:

"Your ally has compelted Cristo Redentor. He has chosen Freedom, the same policy tree as you. On is next turn, he is about to complete the research agreement you made. Deduce the best course of action."

"I fight him."

"What? WHY?"

"I... must fight him."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neruz posted:

Gandhi also never actually believed that everyone should ascribe to the path of nonviolence; he knew that the path of nonviolence required massive mental strength and faith and that not everyone was capable of that, furthermore he knew that many people would use it to hide their own cowardice. While he himself would never have engaged in killing, if somehow Gandhi was forced into a situation where fighting really was the only option he would almost certainly use absolutely every single tool in his arsenal to end that fighting as quickly and decisively as possible. Gandhi was a big believer of losing the least total number of lives in the long term no matter how many had to be lost in the short term.

Given that; having him never declare war on his own but come down like a nuclear hammer on anyone who declares on him is somewhat in character.

Isn't this the same sort of view Nelson Mandela had? He wanted to resolve things peacefully, but the government at the time engineered a situation that could only be fought against and fixed with violence.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Super Jay Mann posted:

My experience with the game and some other modded civs gives me the impression that, within the confines of the current core game design, any UA/UB that grants substantial additional science is broken, simply because of how science generation and tech costs scale over the course of the game. I mean just look at that Nitori civ I linked or heck, even unmodded just look at Babylon or Korea. So while I was trying to point out that the advantage of the Mountain of Faith UA is somewhat overstated, it''s still extra science and that's still better than any other advantage you could be provided with.

I've passed along your comment to him.

Mischa wanted to tie Faith and Science together, and the next version of that UA will be, once he gets the LUA down, be "Whenever you complete research into a technology, you get 10% of the cost of that Tech in Faith".

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

berryjon posted:

I've passed along your comment to him.

Mischa wanted to tie Faith and Science together, and the next version of that UA will be, once he gets the LUA down, be "Whenever you complete research into a technology, you get 10% of the cost of that Tech in Faith".

Even that's broken.

Consider that the earliest researchable technologies are 35 beakers each. That's 3.5 faith from the first few techologies - enough to get you to a pantheon. And those will increase in cost rapidly. Tier 2 techs are 55 beakers each. Then 105. Then 175.

In a way it's basically giving you a free religion just for going science - which everyone will do anyway just to keep up with the tech game. Once you start hitting the renaissance, you'll start getting close to a hundred faith per technology. It might not sound like much, but it stacks up quickly enough that you'd be able to start blowing faith on great people on a whim.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tithin Melias posted:

Even that's broken.

Consider that the earliest researchable technologies are 35 beakers each. That's 3.5 faith from the first few techologies - enough to get you to a pantheon. And those will increase in cost rapidly. Tier 2 techs are 55 beakers each. Then 105. Then 175.

In a way it's basically giving you a free religion just for going science - which everyone will do anyway just to keep up with the tech game. Once you start hitting the renaissance, you'll start getting close to a hundred faith per technology. It might not sound like much, but it stacks up quickly enough that you'd be able to start blowing faith on great people on a whim.

And once you can use faith to purchase great scientists...

Young_Gun94
Feb 19, 2014

Torrannor posted:

And once you can use faith to purchase great scientists...

Need help with getting together your walking nuclear platform before the sneaky clone you never thought you had gets in to ruin your plans? Your cloning project progressing at unacceptably slow levels? Come on down to Buy-A-Nerd and see for yourself how easy it is to get some the greatest minds of history and beyond at your disposal for all your scientific pursuits.

Call ahead and get a free Leonardo da Vinci to go with any scientist of your choice.

(Disclaimer: Buy-A-Nerd is not liable for legal action should your scientist of choice begin expressing doubts about your projects to the point they team up with the people infiltrating your base, killing your doods.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Neruz posted:

You should definitely talk about the Roman Legion; an incredible engine of warfare that evolved into a machine that literally changed the world.

I will, if we encounter Rome. As it will then be on topic. The only reason I posted that is because I had some horrible compelling urge to correct my self.

Like, it was literally bothering me, more than a week later, that I was wrong. :negative:

• Locked thread