Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mills posted:

Burgess bleeds red, green and blue. gently caress the haters.
Until October anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

bowmore posted:

Until October anyway

I think he means the British and Irish Lions

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

iajanus posted:

I like the suggestion that we could have kept him in the game if we let him play for the blues. As if there isn't enough crap with regard to how players qualify for the teams, we should just open the doors to anyone from other countries who wants to play oh poo poo this turned into some sort of anti immigration rant what the hell is happening help me

I don't understand this. You mean the Auckland Blues? Or the Cardiff Blues? And by "kept him in the game" do you mean "kept Sam Burgess in Rugby League" or something else that I'm missing completely?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Russell Crowe said Burgess might have stayed if he was eligible for Origin in some article. It was a puff piece.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Mills posted:

Russell Crowe said Burgess might have stayed if he was eligible for Origin in some article. It was a puff piece.

Ah yes, the Blues that actually play Rugby League. :doh:

Russell Crowe himself is a puff piece.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I doubt he would have stayed in league if he'd been able to play an origin game, unless that would have made his wallet bulge more than changing code will.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I can't imagine it would have hurt his resale value. Plus, like all the top players, he probably would like to play in the top talent game. It certainly beats playing in the league world cup...

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I look forward to Sam burgess' return from Hull in 2018.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Actually I don't understand how Burgess could ever have played in Origin. Bradford is neither in Queensland nor in New South Wales (if it were, Sydney real estate would be a LOT cheaper) and thus he wouldn't qualify regardless of nationality. Whereas Sonny Bill should have been able to qualify if he wanted to, right? Unless he played senior RL before the Dogs.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Burgess never could have, dude was born in England and plays for England. Just some fluff piece in the paper had Russell Crowe talking about how Sam wanted to play for the Blues.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

and New Zealanders and Fijians play for QLD and NSW
guys who lived and played junior footy in NSW play for QLD.
New Zealnders who lived in QLD can play for England

it's not much of a stretch at the moment for English to play SOO.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Isn't the main factor the location of a player's first Senior Rugby play? Or am I mistaken? (I probably am)

But also, look at the Olympics, a Korean speed skater is now Russian.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Apollodorus posted:

Isn't the main factor the location of a player's first Senior Rugby play? Or am I mistaken? (I probably am)

But also, look at the Olympics, a Korean speed skater is now Russian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Inglis

Born, Raised and played Jnr football in NSW

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Right, but that's JUNIOR football, isn't it?

Whatever, it still makes more sense than the NCAA BCS College Football.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Apollodorus posted:

Right, but that's JUNIOR football, isn't it?

Whatever, it still makes more sense than the NCAA BCS College Football.

just an example, i think the whole thing is wrong anyway.
like i said, it's not much of a stretch for a superleague player to play SOO with the current rules.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Origin is renowned for having hilariously flexible rules with regard to eligibility. Both sides have numerous cases of plain lying to get players they want, and I think they are actually seeking to tighten the rules up this year or next so that the most egregious cases go away. Inglis is just the most recent bad one, there's more than enough to go around.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Enough bitching about origin eligibility, time for some good news:

Braith Anasta is playing in the halves for the Tigers and will apparently be a Maloney-like calming influence on Luke Brooks. Happy days ahead for Wests fans.

http://m.foxsports.com.au/league/nr...6-1226833794598

E: let me know which spirits you guys drink so I can buy shares. Someone's going to make a lot of money this year.

ili fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 21, 2014

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Well johnny walker does not trade here, but there is that tassie stuff I've had my eye on.

Not sure of any other aussie scotch.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Brb buying all of the scotch in my local 1st choice

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The Tigers really love doubling down on bad decisions.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

In the year of our lord 2014, there are so many things I can't believe that go on that can be explained by the words rugby league.

Anasta getting a pay check.
The 9s contest.
Wife beaters and rapists playing on women in league round.
Phil Gould.
Ricky Stuart.
Chris Sandow.
Manly.
Etc

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Let me be the first to say that souths' jersey today is loving ugly as all sin.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

I'm gonna watch the rugby live seeing as it's an actual competition game, will give a trip report on Benji Marshall later. Will save the league for later.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

You weren't kidding. Hopefully this is a preseason deal only.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Great start to the game to advertise league: kick off out on the full, they try to tap for the penalty but the ref wasn't in position, and then the kick for touch goes for two metres.

Then the dragons spend the first five minutes with 100% possession and camped on souths line, only to get nothing. This year looks a lot like last year.

E: then souths march down the field and score. Lol

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
And Souths score off a play that includes a Sam Burgess kick.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Dragons still can't score tries I see

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Lord Bogan has some sweet new tats though.

Is this an English ground?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

There was a quip from the commentators earlier saying that this have would have plenty of exciting football, I'm assuming after ten minutes the entire dragons team will sub off and one of the junior clubs will have a go.

Also Lol another luck off out. And another try. This could be a landslide.

E: they've said that the bunnies look good, which is a complete lie. The dragons just look terrible.

E: holy poo poo they finally converted one of their million opportunities

E: dragons new attacking play ten out is just standing at dummy half and letting the marker pick it up. What the gently caress.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 22, 2014

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Although I have a mild distaste towards Wigan, I am still supporting them today, because gently caress Easts.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Troy Queef posted:

Although I have a mild distaste towards Wigan, I am still supporting them today, because gently caress Easts.

A good opinion.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Marshall report: He came on with about 20 minutes to go and really sparked his team well, most notably a quick tap that would've caught Jarryd Hayne and the Eels out and also a nice flick pass that eventually led to a try. They definitely looked much more dangerous after he came on and launched a decent comeback (not enough though, they lost.)

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The roosters are even more hateable this year. I hope some English hard as nails type belts Warea-Hargreaves with a monkey wrench.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
This has a procession feel about it.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Is everyone in NRL related or something?
Aussie commentator seems incredulous that people could have the same surname and be no relation.

Also, Roosters look like they took their foot off a bit since they scored the third try.

Edit : No worries, Wigan gifted them another

Edit 2 : Aww, it's like Christmas. "You got me a try? How embarrassing, that's what I got you!"

DickEmery fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 22, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's possible

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Tigers beat Tigers 2 (cronulla) tonight thus setting tiger fans up for more false hope.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Tigers beat Tigers 2 (cronulla) tonight thus setting tiger fans up for more false hope.

That's how we always go this end of the season

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Considering how many random jerseys the Warriors have nowadays, do they even have team colours any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Well, they have to be the team for a whole country. Weren't there team colors originally blue, white, red, and green?

these ones

• Locked thread