Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

GreatGreen posted:

So where can I go to learn everything there is to know about Morrowind alchemy?

Get your hands on all the netch leather, bloat, and ash yams you can for fortify int potions. Fortify your int and make super potions with whatever effects you're in the mood for.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Alchemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Moryrie posted:

One of the biggest reasons I tell people to AVOID LGNPCs, and NEVER recommend the thing. Seriously.

That isn't actually part of LGNPCs, is it? Please tell me it isn't. Uvirith's Legacy listed it as a recommended mod and it seemed like it would have cool stuff so I installed it. :(

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

What good can be found in LGNPC is always outweighed by rape and edginess.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jesus. The LGNPC Telvanni ones are ones I usually recommend - the most bloated and edgy ones tend to be the Redoran-based ones - but, uh... maybe I don't remember them as well as I thought I did.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

GreatGreen posted:

Get your hands on all the netch leather, bloat, and ash yams you can for fortify int potions. Fortify your int and make super potions with whatever effects you're in the mood for.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Alchemy

Basically this and stealing every alchemy ingredient you can find (including food from cloth sacks and baskets) for your other potions. Eventually you'll find the ingredient combinations for the game-breaking alchemy you're looking for.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

The Colonel posted:

That isn't actually part of LGNPCs, is it? Please tell me it isn't. Uvirith's Legacy listed it as a recommended mod and it seemed like it would have cool stuff so I installed it. :(

All I have installed is Uvirith's Legacy and Rise of House Telvanni and LGNPC, so yes, probably

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

As a Morrowind lover, I'm going to reveal something embarrassing about myself. I have no clue how alchemy works in this game.

Hell it took me over half a decade to even get past Caius in the main quest line. The vast majority of my love for this game came from the simple pleasure of activating God mode and just exploring my rear end off for who knows how many hours, talking to weirdos and finding the coolest and most bizarre looking gear I could get my hands on, and marveling at how vast, alive, and complete the world felt.

But since then, I've completed the main quest and I'm working on the factions. I've decided the time has come for me to learn how to break this game over my knee without the console, from the inside out. In other words, I've decided to learn alchemy.

Easiest way: bloat+ash yams to fortify intelligence, drink it, make another, repeat.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I'm actually just about to reinstall LGNPC. As weird as all the sex stuff is, it's nice to meet some people with personalities from time to time.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So how hard would it be to make a mod that adds summon mudcrab as a spell? I don't know enough about modding to know if it would be crazy difficult or just annoying to do.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That mod screeshot above is LGNPC Tel Uvirith, basically one of your retainers at Tel Uvirith will try to sleep with you to get ahead. I think she has some conditions though, I've never seen the offer.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

That mod screeshot above is LGNPC Tel Uvirith, basically one of your retainers at Tel Uvirith will try to sleep with you to get ahead. I think she has some conditions though, I've never seen the offer.

If I recall, you get the offer after rescuing some traveler from a Molag Bal cult (they had raped and killed the rest of her fellow travelers, of course). Later the traveler ends up in Balmora and for some reason talks about how she sleeps with your mouth, Fast Eddie.

It's all pretty fuckin' terrible.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 20, 2014

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Gobblecoque posted:

If I recall, you get the offer after rescuing some traveler from a Molag Bal cult (they had raped and killed the rest of her fellow travelers, of course). Later the traveler ends up in Balmora and for some reason talks about how she sleeps with you mouth, Fast Eddie.

It's all pretty fuckin' terrible.

I've had a word with the new guy in charge of LGNPC about this, and gave him a huge list of terrible poo poo to address, including the original modder's creepy woman issues. He's assured me that poo poo will all be cut in the next set of LGNPC updates. To be honest, for years, both me and the people who took over LGNPC were too busy modding our own/new poo poo to notice how bad it was. Once he decided to go through all the dialogue to brush up the grammar though, he found all sorts of nasty (creepy) surprises. LGNPC Tel Uvirith may end up bring rewritten from scratch, it's so bad. It's been a learning experience for me--to never again endorse something based solely on positive player reviews, because as the Nexus has proven time and time again, people are loving awful.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, it was a bit of a running joke in Daggerfall that Dunmer women were overly promiscuous and would gently caress anything that moved (see: The Real Barenziah), but it was really really toned down between Daggerfall and Morrowind- I can barely even think of a sexual situation that's in-game, hell there's even a book mocking that stereotype. And there's enough proof that modders will eventually sex anything up for all games- see some of the LGNPC content, and that Skyrim mod with the father who's convinced that since his daughter is the same race as her mother, she's a clone whose not related to him and... (see: :gonk:), not to mention virtually everything else.

Oddly enough for me, the thing that always bothered me the most about LGNPC was the Were-Guar in LGNPC Pelagiad. There's lore-friendly, there's lore-acceptable, and then there's just plain ridiculous.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

and that Skyrim mod with the father who's convinced that since his daughter is the same race as her mother, she's a clone whose not related to him and... (see: :gonk:)

Is it weird that I typically download Interesting NPCs not because of the titular character additions but rather because it actually gives you some loving varied dialogue options to help flesh out your character? I know, I'm hitting the epitome of ~*my immersion*~ and junk, but it's quite frustrating that the variance in Bethesda's presentation of available dialogue lines to the player usually ranges between "Yes, I will do this quest" and "No, I will not do this quest". See also: "Who are you?" and "I'd like to trade some things."

I mean, the system's there but it's such a bummer that only modders really utilize it.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

It's not like the Priestess of Mephala thing in LGNPC TU even bothered me that much. I even kind of ran with the concept in UL. It's just the LGNPC dialogue is so loving bad. Well, that and the implicit misogyny and double-standards in all that dialogue, and implied rape poo poo in that rescue quest. I swear, after going through that poo poo with a fine-toothed comb for my report to the LGNPC team, by the time I read "You know what females are like." or "get physical" for the 20th time, I was typing ARGHFGLEBLARG DIE, YOU COCKS.

To be fair, I added my fair share of creepy characters to Uvirith's Legacy. I suppose the difference is, when I come up with an idea like, "If it turns out your prison warden is the sadomasochistic six-fingered man from the Princess Bride, what does that make YOU?" It's totally meant to be pitch black humor and not fetish material.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Some of the LGNPC dialogue is just really obviously written by people for who English is not their first language, and it shows. Also yeah literally every NPC now talks about rape, sex, murder or piss, and they're all desperate to give you multiple paragraphs of their COOL BACKSTORY about being a super secret Morag Tong assassin. That one cool Telvanni place where it's all women is turned by LGNPC into 'a bunch of frustrated lesbians'. I'm worried uninstalling will break my game now I have quests for it open though?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Wow, I guess I accidentally made a really good decision when I decided to drop LGNPC for compatibility reasons.

It was mostly dialogue conflicts and I'm sure I could've Mashed everything together just fine but I wanted my setup to be as neat as possible.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I guess it's a testament to Morrowind's depth that I've played a few characters with those mods installed and somehow managed to never encounter any of the rapey poo poo :staredog: Good to know what to dump next time I reinstall.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Aw man. I'd just reinstalled and finally gotten everything working. I'd heard great recommendations for LGNPC too. It seemed decent based on what I'd found in seyda neen too. drat it all. What else is a good way to pump a bunch of character into the game.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
LGNPC in a nutshell:

Dare face the insanity? :downs:

Is the original modder Stuporstar's talking about this 'Dark Master' guy, because loving lol at someone old enough to have played Morrowind when it came out calling themselves ~Dark Master~ and filling the game with poorly spelled edgy rape dialogue.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

LGNPC in a nutshell:

Is the original modder Stuporstar's talking about this 'Dark Master' guy, because loving lol at someone old enough to have played Morrowind when it came out calling themselves ~Dark Master~ and filling the game with poorly spelled edgy rape dialogue.

Actually, I've always had the general impression of playing LGNPC is this is what a fourteen year old nerd in 2005's idea of edgy was.

This is what I tell myself hoping that these people weren't like, 30.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
LGNPC is one of those mods that I just have to ignore the poo poo and roll with it, because I hate meeting generic copy + pasted NPCs as far as dialog goes.

I would love to see a version without all the quests and poo poo, though, and just the dialog. That would be awesome, and I'm sure a giant loving undertaking.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, are the newer LGNPC packs any good, at least?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I tried LGNPC mods once, after much reluctance because I found their approach annoying (I don't want forty five different modules for one mod), and uninstalled it soon after seeing that NPCs were now all eager to blabber about their inane lives with complete strangers. Not so much "unique personalities" as "unique backstories told through a poorly-written fan-fiction where you click "Continue" ten times before you can quit the conversation".

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Yeah, I'll have to agree on the general opinion of LGNPC. I had it included in my modpack, but it's gone from the most recent version because I find it just a little too overbearing.

I think the characters in Morrowind are interesting enough without making every one of them a super-intense individual personality.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I thought I was oversensitive to be creeped out by LGNPC since it is so highly regarded by the modding community and on all the must have mod lists... glad to know I'm just being sane I suppose.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I may have never read a readme more packed with contempt than BTB's. Try to imagine a novella-length diatribe by a goony goon for whom stuff like potion-intelligence-boosting and sword-of-white-woe-yoinking is a deadly insult. He practically made a new game that's more to his Might & Magic tastes.

I actually want to try it, but maybe not the version that makes raising misc skills by use impossible, good grief.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

I may have never read a readme more packed with contempt than BTB's. Try to imagine a novella-length diatribe by a goony goon for whom stuff like potion-intelligence-boosting and sword-of-white-woe-yoinking is a deadly insult. He practically made a new game that's more to his Might & Magic tastes.

I actually want to try it, but maybe not the version that makes raising misc skills by use impossible, good grief.

Yeah he got enough flak he made a version without that change (it's easy enough to remove with TESame though). And he made training cost 4000x what it used to.

SPECIALIZED CHARACTERS ONLY

BTB also had a good fork of Xiram(?)'s Music Mod that made gentle transitions between music tracks and allowed for a huge variety of different fan tracks (of varying qualities). I had to ask him for it specifically, so I wonder if he posted it anywhere.

mbt fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 20, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

You forgot the constant bitching about his harpy of an ex-wife

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
His readme is literally the best guide on how to break morrowind as fast as possible other than being verbose as gently caress about it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Haha, my thoughts exactly. I found a whole website where he comments on other mods and is equally cringeworthy. That said, his mod is OK but not my cup of tea.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Berke Negri posted:

You forgot the constant bitching about his harpy of an ex-wife

You can't handle all this edginess.

quote:

Even larger and more noticeable was the armor rating gap, which ultimately contributed more than anything to medium armor's massive inferiority complex. I did my best to close this gap like the legs of a syphillis-ridden whore

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

LGNPC in a nutshell:

I actually don't know that modder. The original modder behind LGNPC was Ostar, and I don't want to dig up any dirt on the guy because he was never an rear end in a top hat. Cyran0 is currently in charge of managing the project and taking over LGNPC mods the original contributors are no longer working on. Once I pointed out the creepy, sexist content, he was horrified and took it upon himself to purge that poo poo. They're just nowhere near ready for release yet, because purging that poo poo is going to take a while.

I also convinced him to tone down the life story poo poo and the gazillion junk dialogue entries, such as healers having boring, individual dialogue about every single damned alchemy ingredient and potion in the game. It was sometimes so bad, you had to sift through 50 or more crap entries to get to the quest related stuff. Hopefully newer versions of LGNPC will deliver, so I'm not quite unendorsing it yet. I'm just putting my endorsement on hold until it improves.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That's pretty cool.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hasn't Cyran0 been working on LGNPC for like 3-5 years now with no major releases?

If he does he must be super stealthy about it because I've seen no updates.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Hasn't Cyran0 been working on LGNPC for like 3-5 years now with no major releases?

If he does he must be super stealthy about it because I've seen no updates.

He released a few updates to existing LGNPC mods last year and put up a thread for it on the TES forums. I haven't been paying attention lately, but if there's any news it'll show up there. Cyran0 is only working on updating existing ones as far as I know, and relying on other people to come up with new ones for new cities. As far as I can tell, all its contributors have hosed off. It seems like all the productive modders are busy working on TR instead.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
LGNPC Tel-Uvirith has plenty of 'non-sexy' annoying. Having to cure your tower of blight sucks. Having some idiot walk in and claim this should be his tower sucks more. My least favorite LGNPC module is the one that re-did some Redoran town to be a bunch of Dunmer supremacists, and did absolutely nothing. Else. Just made everyone in that town look like they were trying to top Orvas Dren and the KKK in terms of nasty racism. It didn't add anything to the experience, it didn't elaborate on existing concepts in the area, it just turned this boring little settlement into a racist hellhole.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Speaking of Tel Uvirith, I'd heard good things about Uvirith's Legacy, and some of the stuff I'd seen looked cool. But I didn't know just how amazing it is until I found out that there is a quest where you try to come up with a crazy scheme to help your apprentice steal from the tower cook's cookie jar.

The best part is, I started this quest immediately after swearing to Vivec that I would immediately go kill Dagoth Ur.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

And after a couple of days of tweaking mods, I finally start the game, looking forward to finally getting back in...

...and get a black screen on new game with none of the OP's listed fixes working. That's the Morrowind I know :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

And after a couple of days of tweaking mods, I finally start the game, looking forward to finally getting back in...

...and get a black screen on new game with none of the OP's listed fixes working. That's the Morrowind I know :allears:

Out of curiosity, how long do you usually wait before you conclude that the game is broken? I ask because I've had an "issue" in the past where the new game starts, but it can take another 25-40 seconds before the black screen is replaced with actual graphics. It seems like it can take a while for the game to load all of its resources, especially when you're running a lot of graphics modifications.