Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Crotch Fruit posted:

Both vehicles are 3rd gen Mustangs, the left being an 87-93 model, and the right is an 85-86 model (based on the headlights and Wikipedia).
Well he's learning about the beauty of grits, I have to tip my hat to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It turns out the secret to world peace was Mustangs all along.

I saw a historical drama on TV the other day where a recent immigrant to Japan defeated a gang and restored peace to the downtrodden with the use of his father's imported Mustang.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It turns out the secret to world peace was Mustangs all along.

I saw a historical drama on TV the other day where a recent immigrant to Japan defeated a gang and restored peace to the downtrodden with the use of his father's imported Mustang.

Mustangs are famously good for running over minorities, yeah.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

Now, CRST had this system on the truck where the truck would turn on and off to prevent constant idling.

Temp a Start?
Can you actually sleep with cab shaking from all the startups and shutdowns?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Temp a Start?
Looking it up, it was Optimum Idle for Freightliner. Sleep is difficult, I'll put it that way. The way to game the system was to put the target bunk temp as high or as low as possible, and to use a strap to keep the gear stick in place when it shakes during startup. I ws in the top bunk and it scared me a few times, to the point where I jumped out and grabbed at the already properly set parking brake.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Temp a Start?

Another way to game the system is to find the external temperature probe and tape an incandescent light to it and have the light wired to a 12v plug. The truck idles all night if it thinks it's 200deg out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The people you don't ever want to share a road with:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/02/a-map-of-the-worlds-most-dangerous-countries-for-drivers/283886/

(and some that you do)

Though the overall trend is that driving anywhere is significantly safer than it was 40 years ago.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

0rganDonor posted:

Another way to game the system is to find the external temperature probe and tape an incandescent light to it and have the light wired to a 12v plug. The truck idles all night if it thinks it's 200deg out.

Also a handy trick when you work somewhere with a corporate controlled HVAC system in a hot climate - except you point a desk lamp at the sensor. Preferably halogen.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

The people you don't ever want to share a road with:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/02/a-map-of-the-worlds-most-dangerous-countries-for-drivers/283886/

(and some that you do)

Though the overall trend is that driving anywhere is significantly safer than it was 40 years ago.

Fatalities are going down, but I bet you that it's more dangerous than ever to share the road with these idiots. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

Also a handy trick when you work somewhere with a corporate controlled HVAC system in a hot climate - except you point a desk lamp at the sensor. Preferably halogen.

Some office thermostats aren't even hooked up. Why? Giving people the illusion of control is usually enough to keep them happy.

We did have fun with the AC system in my office though, it won't let you set a level below 55 degrees. Since we're all engineers, we took that as a challenge, and the winning combination was to put the remote control (it's one of those wall mounted units) on a desk with a cup of coffee on top of it, the room got down into the low 40s :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

Some office thermostats aren't even hooked up. Why? Giving people the illusion of control is usually enough to keep them happy.

We did have fun with the AC system in my office though, it won't let you set a level below 55 degrees. Since we're all engineers, we took that as a challenge, and the winning combination was to put the remote control (it's one of those wall mounted units) on a desk with a cup of coffee on top of it, the room got down into the low 40s :v:

We don't have thermostat controls, but in my old building the cover had come off the heat sensor box. Turns out they just had a 2-wire sensor plugged into it, and we discovered that unplugging one wire would turn on the AC and leave it on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
As someone who keeps a sweater in his desk drawer during the summer, gently caress you guys!

Granted the ac here is configured for a full office during the day and would drop significantly in the evenings when everybody else left and the sun went down.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I'm really impressed with that little green import hatchback this morning - the muffler dragging along behind it was actually louder than the exhaust. (Muffler appeared to have detatched from tailpipe, and was only connected by the under-bumper support - and was otherwise entirely exposed behind the bumper and throwing a nice stream of sparks, which is what originally caught my eye.)

Not sure how it got out into the air like that, as the car itself was pretty low - unless someone wired it on like a wedding decoration or something. :v: That might explain the lack of exhaust noise, too...

Middle lane of a major through street with a fuckton of traffic, right at the start of morning rush, to boot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't care if the snow berm turns it into half a parking spot, you still gotta stay inside the lines Mr. Pampered Chef.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm usually pretty amazed at this thread since nothing much happens where I live, you have to watch out for the potholes more than the other people. Today though I was on my way to work, I pull up to a red light on a road thats normally 1 lane. Im in the going straight lane, there is a left turn only lane to my left. About 8 cars pull up behind me, but Mr. Special SUV decides to cut everyone and be the first one in the left turn only lane. I, of course, am a SJW of the road (not really, but I stupidly get ticked off at people being cheap) so when the light turns green I give it a little more gas and pull in front of him where the turning lane ends with plenty of room to spare.

He gets mad at this, so hes swerving back and forth about a foot from my bumper. Red light coming up so I figure Ill let this guy go hes clearly much more in a hurry than I am. As I move over he jumps the double yellow and slams on his brakes in front of me. I stop, reverse to get clearance to pass and he jumps out of his car. He was smart enough to not stand in front of my car, just off to the side so of course I floor it and he punches my window with his hand.

Two miles up the road Im standing in line getting coffee, Black SUV walks in and starts yelling at me 6 inches from my face. Dude could clearly kick my rear end and wasn't quite grasping the error of his ways. Luckily though the Tim Hortons employees were quick to threaten to call the cops and he left pretty quickly.

Person at the counter gave me a free coffee, too. So all in all it ended up a positive experience.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So basically he was ready to risk an assault charge because you didn't let him illegally pass 8 people using a left turn only lane? I have to say, I've seen some dicks on the road but that guy's up there.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

So basically he was ready to risk an assault charge because you didn't let him illegally pass 8 people using a left turn only lane? I have to say, I've seen some dicks on the road but that guy's up there.
I heard the guy floor it when it turned green, so yeah he was doing it on purpose. It was a big suv with >20" wheels though, so even though I only gave it the beans a little bit I easily overcame him without it being racey, it was only a 35mph area anyway.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
This morning I saw something I'd never seen before. Jefferson Ave in Salem, MA is wide enough for cars to park on either side of the road with a plenty of space to drive along the street. However today I saw someone swerve into the part of the road people park along and immediately hit a parked Cherokee full on the rear bumper at about 35. Right after hitting the Jeep the driver leaned on his horn and got out to yell then realized that it was as parked car with no one inside.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I wasn't able to get a picture but I saw someone driving an SUV (A GMC, I think) that'd taken a nasty hit on the passenger side. Both doors and the B pillar were smashed in far enough to be at least as far in as the inside side of the tires.

Dude was just driving it around happily.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Arrath posted:

I wasn't able to get a picture but I saw someone driving an SUV (A GMC, I think) that'd taken a nasty hit on the passenger side. Both doors and the B pillar were smashed in far enough to be at least as far in as the inside side of the tires.

Dude was just driving it around happily.

We get a lot of those around here, it drives my wife (from New York) nuts.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

This morning I saw something I'd never seen before. Jefferson Ave in Salem, MA is wide enough for cars to park on either side of the road with a plenty of space to drive along the street. However today I saw someone swerve into the part of the road people park along and immediately hit a parked Cherokee full on the rear bumper at about 35. Right after hitting the Jeep the driver leaned on his horn and got out to yell then realized that it was as parked car with no one inside.

:confused: drunk or something? That seems pretty hosed up if you are sober and not mentally ill.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pine Cone Jones posted:

This is pure wishihadadashcam.avi

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I have no idea if he was drunk, the police didn't arrest them, at least from what I know, I'm not sure where to look to find any more information. After this I think I'm going to at least look into getting a dash cam.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Ah cmon now

Still managed to make it between him and the blue car in a suburban with about an inch on either side.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Had a wonderful moment yesterday. Traffic had backed up bad enough that I couldn't go through an intersection as the light went to yellow because I would have been stuck in the middle. The guy behind me was turning left and decided to just jump into the opposing lane and go left anyways, without signaling as the light turned red. Too bad he didn't notice the police car that was right behind him who immediately lit him up. It was beautiful.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pretty sure the guy in the black Camry had a death wish.

And it just goes downhill from there. :downsgun: I've learned never to use the inside lane at this intersection.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Hey you assholes who drive with the left foot on the brake and right on the gas: Most modern cars will throw on the brake lights when you rest or move your foot on the brake pedal. Yes even if its just a little pressure.

This is super disruptive in the winter when lit brake lights on the highway usually mean holy poo poo I've hit some nasty patch of ice/snow/wreckage.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Left foot braking outside of autocross or track driving is a terrible idea, doesn't matter what the conditions are.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I left foot brake sometimes and its okay. I don't ride it so I don't see the big deal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, the only reason I don't left foot brake something FWD is if it's got a stupid DBW that kills the throttle when you're braking. It's a very useful technique.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

8ender posted:

This is super disruptive in the winter when lit brake lights on the highway usually mean holy poo poo I've hit some nasty patch of ice/snow/wreckage.

nsaP posted:

I left foot brake sometimes and its okay. I don't ride it so I don't see the big deal.

Did you not read Bender's post or what?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

8ender posted:

Braking because you've hit ice? That's not a very good idea at all.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The brake is the "Something Is Happening That I Don't Want" pedal. Being a fellow Albertan you should know this intuitively from every jackhole who enters a corner below the yellow-sign speed and then brakes the entire time through it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The brake is the "Something Is Happening That I Don't Want" pedal. Being a fellow Albertan you should know this intuitively from every jackhole who enters a corner below the yellow-sign speed and then brakes the entire time through it.

I thought the point of the yellow signs was to try and double the speed indicated :confused: at least when the weather is good anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's the point of the white speed limit signs, but only late at night after pre-running the road to make sure it's clear.

It is me, the person you share the road with. I might catch air but I'll be in my own lane doing it, which is why you should stay in yours.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I left foot post sometimes and its okay. I don't read them so I don't see the big deal.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

I left foot post sometimes and its okay. I don't read them so I don't see the big deal.

But everyone behind you sees them and they think something's wrong so they veer around and post somewhere else.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

One time I tried to use my left foot to brake, but I pressed it like it was the clutch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

One time I tried to use my left foot to brake, but I pressed it like it was the clutch.

Hopefully there wasn't any coffee in the cup holder!

Once upon a time I tried braking with my left foot just to see if there was any value to it and I couldn't pull it off. My muscle memory was completely wrong, the pedal didn't feel right and I couldn't brake smoothly at all. I kept wanting to treat it like a clutch pedal and was expecting it to push back against my foot like a clutch would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

From my Facebook feed (this is in NYC):

Just take a taxi if you're that hard up for parking, poo poo.