Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I don't understand why y'all care so much about that.

Also when the hell is the show coming back? My life is so rubbish right now that Community was genuinely the highlight of my week. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

VagueRant posted:

I don't understand why y'all care so much about that.

Also when the hell is the show coming back? My life is so rubbish right now that Community was genuinely the highlight of my week. :smith:

Next week.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Why the gently caress is Sylvester McCoy in that? Isn't he busy being in The Hobbit?

He likes money, and pies do not pay for themselves.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While we wait for the next episode, what are some of your ideas for Community episodes? Here's one of mine;

It's an episode of Community where Jeff enlists Britta's help to find a laserdisc that he can show during class on Greendale's AV while teaching class instead of teaching. Annie, Abed and the Dean attempt to upgrade the system.

It is a David Cronenberg pastiche. :canada:

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Mameluke posted:

While we wait for the next episode, what are some of your ideas for Community episodes? Here's one of mine;

It's an episode of Community where Jeff enlists Britta's help to find a laserdisc that he can show during class on Greendale's AV while teaching class instead of teaching. Annie, Abed and the Dean attempt to upgrade the system.

It is a David Cronenberg pastiche. :canada:

You really need to watch Rick & Morty.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mameluke posted:

While we wait for the next episode, what are some of your ideas for Community episodes?

I really would like this episode:

American Sword Cooks sounds like such a fantastic idea.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Mameluke posted:

While we wait for the next episode, what are some of your ideas for Community episodes?
Community S06 E04, "Cooperative Manaphy" - In a reversal of the usual chaos that ensues whenever Greendale holds a schoolwide game, the entire school grinds to a halt when Abed decides to create "Greendale Plays Pokemon Green". Dean Pelton asks the only person who doesn't care--Jeff Winger--to finish the game by uniting the students and teachers so that "normal" activities can resume.

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 23, 2014

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A procedural parody but with paintball.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I apparently wrote this into my phone one night:

"Britta takes an online class and it
becomes an echo chamber for her
insane beliefs.

Shirley is accused of racism when
she fires a young black woman from
her sandwich shop.

Message about communication and isolation."

So even blackout drunk I write more for Shirley than the show's actual writing staff.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

So even blackout drunk I write more for Shirley than the show's actual writing staff.

I think Shirley's real exposition only comes after she's wealthy enough to manage her own Movie theater and hires a young, quirky man named Josh.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Ravane posted:

I think Shirley's real exposition only comes after she's wealthy enough to manage her own Movie theater and hires a young, quirky man named Josh.

I predict more Shirley - Abed hijinks, ever since they bonded over Hellraiser.

Oh please, oh please....

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Ravane posted:

Or becomes the principal of a performing arts high school in Hollywood.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

So who else here listens to Harmontown? I just put a new stereo in my car that has USB input, so I threw all the episodes on a stick and I'm going through them one by one. I'm halfway through #8 and my listening time is split about 70/30 between laughing my rear end off and marveling at how hosed in the head Dan is.

I've heard that Kumail Nanjiani joins the crew later on and is really funny, should I keep on truckin' with these episodes?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Harmontown is pretty consistent, but if Dan starts talking about gender, politics or anything tangentially related to either subject, just skip to the next episode.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I like Harmontown, even with the bullshit and all...

...but the one Dan Harmon related thing that nearly makes me almost despise him is Rick and Morty; I'll admit it's far from a bad show, however it becomes tiresome when everybody sounds like Dan monologue-ing/ranting and the world is as hosed up as he believes it is.

Community's pretty great, as his vision on what the tone should be and his reisistance to executive meddling makes it work; but there are several other talented people also crafting the show who help it become the unique spot in network television.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 25, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

tinstaach posted:

So who else here listens to Harmontown? I just put a new stereo in my car that has USB input, so I threw all the episodes on a stick and I'm going through them one by one. I'm halfway through #8 and my listening time is split about 70/30 between laughing my rear end off and marveling at how hosed in the head Dan is.

I've heard that Kumail Nanjiani joins the crew later on and is really funny, should I keep on truckin' with these episodes?

Irish Joe is nearly 100% correct, although i would say the only episode that is an actual chore to listen to is the pedophilia one (it's titled "Morality" I think and it's goddamn terrible). That's the only one I would seriously recommend everyone skip when listening to Harmontown. Because oof holy poo poo that episode's badness. Christ.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Also yes, look out for Kumail episodes because he is consistently hilarious, even when Dan goes on a Dan Rant.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Adam Goldberg is apparently much more annoying in-person than he comes across with just audio. Also, if a weird guy called Tyler gets mentioned, they're talking about this guy.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

umalt posted:

I like Harmontown, even with the bullshit and all...

...but the one Dan Harmon related thing that nearly makes me almost despise him is Rick and Morty; I'll admit it's far from a bad show, however it becomes tiresome when everybody sounds like Dan monologue-ing/ranting and the world is as hosed up as he believes it is.

Community's pretty great, as his vision on what the tone should be and his reisistance to executive meddling makes it work; but there are several other talented people also crafting the show who help it become the unique spot in network television.

I happen to think Rick and Morty owns bones, the only similarity I see between that and Harmontown is the stuttering in the characters' speech, which is hilarious when Justin Roiland does it but hilariously pathetic when Dan is sputtering for 5 whole seconds.

For every one of Dan's profound word salads that is somewhat insightful, there are 5 that are just annoying because he's got no idea what he's talking about. Jeff is almost always funny, Erin too from what little I've seen of her.

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 25, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Dark One posted:

Adam Goldberg is apparently much more annoying in-person than he comes across with just audio.

Also he's a goon because of course he is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Occupation posted:

Also he's a goon because of course he is.

Wait, goon-y or literally-paid-Lowtax-:10bux:-goon?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Wait, goon-y or literally-paid-Lowtax-:10bux:-goon?

One of us.

And Erin can be funny, she just has a habit of being really obnoxious when trying to get the people on stage to play the little games she makes up or when they're playing DnD and she goes batshit insane with her diplomacy or crafting, but Jeff's frustration with her during the latter makes up for it.

Production
Jun 11, 2001
Also, when someone tells you to skip to the next episode whenever Dan starts talking about gender or politics or whatever: don't do that, why would you do that, what is wrong with you. Someone on the show will usually make it into something funny.

ov
Jul 28, 2004
SEE THAT WET SPOT ON MY PANTS? WATCH ME MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT SPILLING A CASSEROLE

Irish Joe posted:

I apparently wrote this into my phone one night:

"Britta takes an online class and it
becomes an echo chamber for her
insane beliefs.

Shirley is accused of racism when
she fires a young black woman from
her sandwich shop.

Message about communication and isolation."

Haha do you seriously write fanfiction about random shows on your cellphone when you are drunk?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ov posted:

Haha do you seriously write fanfiction about random shows on your cellphone when you are drunk?

Yes. :smith:

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

gently caress the haters. I wish I were half as productive as you.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Most of my cell phone fanfics are variations on the phrase "Colin Baker comes to Frogtown" so you've got me beat.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Occupation posted:

Irish Joe is nearly 100% correct, although i would say the only episode that is an actual chore to listen to is the pedophilia one (it's titled "Morality" I think and it's goddamn terrible). That's the only one I would seriously recommend everyone skip when listening to Harmontown. Because oof holy poo poo that episode's badness. Christ.

Yeah, that episode was terrible; I don't know how the other writers keep Dan in check so Community doesn't become Dan Harmon's rant comedy half hour.

Also, Kumail is great, he is almost all the time the most reasonable person in the room and he is hilarious.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A log line for a spec script is not fanfic.

Y'know, provided you're actually a writer.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Plus episodes with Mitch Hurwitz are just charming.

And Rob Schrab is always entertaining.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Uhhhhh, we're all aware that there's a new episode in 3 minutes, right? And some of you wanted weekly threads?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A John Oliver heavy episode, good thing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Chang wandered into a one-man show.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I tried to make that sound good but it's what you're doing.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
uh are you sure community is back?

cause i saw john oliver at the study room and part of the intro, but then NBC cut to what i thought was a commercial

but thers the nbc logo and now this nathon fillon looking mother fucker showing some kids around

wtf

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

uh are you sure community is back?

cause i saw john oliver at the study room and part of the intro, but then NBC cut to what i thought was a commercial

but thers the nbc logo and now this nathon fillon looking mother fucker showing some kids around

wtf

I have community :psyduck:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
FOAM

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I would raise goats, hoard cinnamon and travel only at night.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
hrm. i guess its the affiliate or something but here theres some show called parenthood playing instead

whatever the hell that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

hrm. i guess its the affiliate or something but here theres some show called parenthood playing instead

whatever the hell that is

It's the show where half the cast is autistic and they shout dialogue over each other while crying.

• Locked thread