Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But that line has been crossed. Kayfabe died a very long time ago. I'm not even disagreeing with you as a more concrete fourth wall might very well make for a better product, but they bulldozed that wall down years ago and the product is littered with ever present reminders of that. Complaining about that in 2014 seems a lot like pissing in the wind to me. You can't stick the genie back in the bottle and the bottle probably does even exist any more the way the internet has transformed the wrestling world.

You can't compare RAW to fictional dramas because they're just not even remotely the same beast. Acting like they are just seems like sticking your head in the sand. If RAW played by the same rules as Sons of Anarchy there'd be dozens of problems every week.

Although you picked the right show to compare it to. Kudos on that. The bar is set much lower with SoA.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nut Bunnies posted:

No, they're just really dumb. WWE is a television show that exists in its own universe. Calling attention to stuff that exists outside of what's shown kills the suspension of disbelief.

I though the original pipe bomb promo was garbage because even though it was delivered well, it made NO sense within the story that had been told or frankly any of WWE. It was like Jax on Sons of Anarchy bitching about how bad the writing has gotten.
I can't think of a single comment of that promo that was out of the scope of the on-screen product.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Meanwhile, in less nerdy news:

I'm so happy that BIG E maintains good relations with his mom and dad despite the breakup :allears:

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
He's at it again.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Nut Bunnies posted:

No, they're just really dumb. WWE is a television show that exists in its own universe. Calling attention to stuff that exists outside of what's shown kills the suspension of disbelief.

I though the original pipe bomb promo was garbage because even though it was delivered well, it made NO sense within the story that had been told or frankly any of WWE. It was like Jax on Sons of Anarchy bitching about how bad the writing has gotten.

WWE calls attention to Total Divas. AJ calling attention to Total Divas isn't that revolutionary.

I'll take those types of promos over the WWE cookie cutter promo that everyone does any day. At least there's some emotion in those.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Gaspar Lewis posted:

He's at it again.

BIG TRAPS
HOT MILFS

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

I can't think of a single comment of that promo that was out of the scope of the on-screen product.

The part where he says he's the best wrestler in the world

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

He's at it again.

RYBACK RULESSSSSS

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oatgan posted:

The part where he says he's the best wrestler in the world

"Best in the world, except for Hiroshi Tanahashi" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Plus the 2.9 million people at home going "Hiro-who?"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

"Best in the world, except for Hiroshi Tanahashi" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Plus the 2.9 million people at home going "Hiro-who?"

I love Punk, but he's not even the best wrestler in the WWE, never mind the world.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Gaz-L posted:

Instead of "Colt Ca-who?"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So wrestler saying he's the best and deserves the belt is now shoot territory?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

So wrestler saying he's the best and deserves the belt is now shoot territory?
jokes.jpg

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There's no place for jokes in the serious business of Pro Wrestling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I love Punk, but he's not even the best wrestler in the WWE, never mind the world.

When he's on form, I'd say he's got an argument for it, unless you're restricting it to literally just what happens bell-to-bell, and even then, he'd rank decently high.

Angular Landbury posted:

Instead of "Colt Ca-who?"

Hey now! It was only 2.8 million saying that!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The reason pipebomb promos don't have as much of an explosion, is because they have no meaningful follow up whatsoever.

Hell, even Punk's pipebomb and WWE Championship walk out resulted in a job to Triple H, a job in the Hell in a Cell, and then a job as Triple H's tag team partner.

Personally, I think it's up to WWE to create an interesting enough environment with all of their talent, so that pipebombs are unnecessary. Rather than the current state of things where just about anyone not named John Cena could conceivably do one. Remember when JTG complained on twitter and got to job on RAW as a result?

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 21, 2014

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Stallion Cabana posted:

Attack on Ryback

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gaspar Lewis posted:

He's at it again.

"Rather than doing any sort of real quantifiable research on the subject, I will tweet four major name wrestlers and hope they answer, and in under 140 characters."

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

OmegaBR posted:

The reason pipebomb promos don't have as much of an explosion, is because they have no meaningful follow up whatsoever.

Hell, even Punk's pipebomb and WWE Championship walk out resulted in a job to Triple H, a job in the Hell in a Cell, and then a job as Triple H's tag team partner.

Yeah, you know, if you completely loving ignore the 434 day title reign.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol if you think that title reign recouped punk a fourth of his heat

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

OmegaBR posted:

That's on the WWE, though. I think a pipebomb promo is a fun thing every now and then. I enjoyed Punk's, I thought AJ's was okay, but the problem with them is that any follow up in entirely on the WWE's shoulders. If Punk hadn't gotten HHH-ed, that whole story would have been amazing. The pipe bomb attacks the WWE, and if the WWE could get its head out of its rear end they could have done something fun with it.

Honestly though, after AJ's promo I agree the WWE probably needed to send some sort of message backstage to get people to stop copying it. It could be a fun moment every couple of years or so, otherwise you have Miz and Ziggler just bitching every week about how lovely they have it. Even if they do, you gotta capitalize when you're actually rising to the top.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Evil Badman posted:

Yeah, you know, if you completely loving ignore the 434 day title reign.

The entirety of which took a backseat to whatever Cena was doing, and he spent half of being a chickenshit heel.

Not to belittle the fact that it happened, nobody can say Punk got a raw deal in that respect, but my point is it came months after the pipebomb, and after those three straight PPV jobs. And if Daniel Bryan does eventually get a proper WWE Title reign, it'll come after months of similar PPV jobs and screwjobs.

In other words, WWE doesn't strike while the iron is hot, they soak it in ice water first. It doesn't really matter what anybody says, if it isn't followed by action.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

When he's on form, I'd say he's got an argument for it, unless you're restricting it to literally just what happens bell-to-bell, and even then, he'd rank decently high.

Hey now! It was only 2.8 million saying that!

Daniel Bryan is a better wrestler in the ring.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

434 days carrying a belt that means nothing to anyone in the company it represents given to him only to keep him from getting cranky about being perpetual second fiddle should definitely be applauded.

Also it worked out really well which is why nobody currently knows if CM Punk was eaten by wolves or whatever.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

epitasis posted:

lol if you think that title reign recouped punk a fourth of his heat
Seriously. 434 days of being a second-class champion behind John Cena didn't get him back to the point he was at just after he won the title the first time. And it's not even close.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

"Rather than doing any sort of real quantifiable research on the subject, I will tweet four major name wrestlers and hope they answer, and in under 140 characters."
Yeah, why not?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

@WWERanjinSingh posted:

To my bro @GreatKhali, congrats on becoming a US Citizen today! Now we're both as American as @WWEZeb #WeThePeople pic.twitter.com/Erijx7YCYL

Now I'm picturing Khali joining the Real Americans.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Now I'm picturing Khali joining the Real Americans.

"WEGAHBEEBUH"
"No, no Khali, it's 'We the People'."
"WEEBGAHBAGAHHB"
"We the People."
"WUGGHABAHBAHGGHABLAGH"
"I give up."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

"WEGAHBEEBUH"
"No, no Khali, it's 'We the People'."
"WEEBGAHBAGAHHB"
"We the People."
"WUGGHABAHBAHGGHABLAGH"
"I give up."

"WOR DOR PURPLE!"
"Coach Z, I told you to leave like an hour ago."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gavok posted:

"WOR DOR PURPLE!"
:golfclap:

Thank you.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My last name starts with E, I am absolutely buying the Big E shirt.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Gavok posted:

"WOR DOR PURPLE!"
They're stealing are jorbs there.

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT
Titus posted this on Instagram, along with a picture of Darren and his mom.

Titus O'Neal posted:

BREAKING NEWS!!! @DarrenyoungWWE Will be Hosting A 2Day VIP Meet&Greet and @WWE #Raw Watch Party Sunday &Monday As Soon as he regains Consciousness from him Brutal Beating from @TitusOneilWWE at #WWECHAMBER The Meet&Greet is at The Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis,Minnesota @DarrenyoungWWE mother "Bertha"young will be Selling Family Favorites like "Patti LaBelle Over the Rainbow Macaroni" and sweet Potato Hush Puppies with Proceeds going towards Darren's Medical Expenses. Doors Will open 1Hr after their #wwechamber match. Seating is limited so RSVP Is recommended ✊ #MrSomeMoreDaysOff

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I wish then never broke up. They were so great together and it's a drat shame they never got a run with the belts.

So drat entertaining.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LividLiquid posted:

Seriously. 434 days of being a second-class champion behind John Cena didn't get him back to the point he was at just after he won the title the first time. And it's not even close.

And he was more just like a place holder until The Rock came back.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Davros1 posted:

And he was more just like a place holder until The Rock came back.

It's been said a million times, but it' so true:

The Rock "I'm never going to leave again!..but you'll only see me once per year, 2-3 times if you're really really lucky."

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Tyson Tomko posted:

It's been said a million times, but it' so true:

The Rock "I'm never going to leave again!..but you'll only see me once per year, 2-3 times if you're really really lucky."

He's one of the biggest and most successful movie stars in the world and had no obligation or need to ever come back to the WWE in the first place outside of loyalty so expecting a full time schedule or an entire year out of him is pretty silly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gonzo McFee posted:

I wish then never broke up. They were so great together and it's a drat shame they never got a run with the belts.

So drat entertaining.

They will be back together when both single pushes fail.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

They will be back together when both single pushes fail.

Or they'll have one match, a strap match that feels strangely racist despite both participants being black, fire one of them and then completely forget that the other one exists, allowing him to keep collecting a paycheck for years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Or they'll have one match, a strap match that feels strangely racist despite both participants being black, fire one of them and then completely forget that the other one exists, allowing him to keep collecting a paycheck for years to come.

Keep Darren Young because if they fire the guy within a year of coming out the bad PR would be loving brutal. He's like Miz in that he can stick around forever, not do anything major and just be a PR guy. He's better than Miz though.