Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hockles posted:

Why NBC Sports is not airing the Olympics 24/7 is beyond me. Live or tape delay, I don't care. I shouldn't turn there and see Shark Hunters or auto auctions marathons.
NBC probably aired more live Olympic events back in 1992 when they had THE TRIPLECAST!!! than they do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Human empathy. It's as useless as the Winter Olympics. This February, on NBC.

--Jack Donaghy

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Hockles posted:

Why NBC Sports is not airing the Olympics 24/7 is beyond me. Live or tape delay, I don't care. I shouldn't turn there and see Shark Hunters or auto auctions marathons.

My guess is that since NBCSN didn't exist when they secured the rights for these Olympics, there are limits to what they can show? I don't know. Spitballin'.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deathlove posted:

My guess is that since NBCSN didn't exist when they secured the rights for these Olympics, there are limits to what they can show? I don't know. Spitballin'.

Partly that, partly also that it'd be a logistical nightmare to have to keep paying cameramen, producers, etc. to keep shooting events that probably aren't going to get a lot of attention.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Deathlove posted:

It appears that they also have rights for Colonial League and other mid-major basketball games they have to honor

One thing I will question is why they won't show as much live curling as they did in 2010. The women's gold medal game is going on right now but it won't be on US tv until later. Awful Announcing summed it up well:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014...ve-curling.html

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

DJExile posted:

Partly that, partly also that it'd be a logistical nightmare to have to keep paying cameramen, producers, etc. to keep shooting events that probably aren't going to get a lot of attention.

Literally every event is being streamed live by the Olympic Broadcasting Service, which they're showing on their website. As far as I am aware, the feeds and the things like the splits/scores/etc graphics are the same for every country, and then for TV events the country's broadcaster will package that with their crew. I imagine that NBC has extra cameras to capture footage for something like figure skating, for example, but every event is already being shot and produced.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Badfinger posted:

Literally every event is being streamed live by the Olympic Broadcasting Service, which they're showing on their website. As far as I am aware, the feeds and the things like the splits/scores/etc graphics are the same for every country, and then for TV events the country's broadcaster will package that with their crew. I imagine that NBC has extra cameras to capture footage for something like figure skating, for example, but every event is already being shot and produced.

Well shut my mouth then!

Then yeah I'd say it's partly their contractual obligations to other events, and partly just NBC's incompetence.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
maybe y'all should get a goddamn job instead of watching curling all day

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

i have an english degree watching curling all day is about all i'm qualified to do

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

MourningView posted:

Tell that to me when I'm in my office watching the olympics because I own at my job. :smuggo:

I also can be seen in our break room with the 10-20 other non-american born football fans watching the champions league, it's uh, gotten so bad that management pretty much sent out an email begging us to not make so much noise so that the Americans in the office don't get mad jealous that we're watching football during work hours lol.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

axeil posted:

NBC's Olympic coverage is garbage and I hate it. Screw showing sports or anything, let's focus on these pointless human-interest stories. Oh, Americans aren't expected to do well in this event and you want to watch it? Tough poo poo, have some more awkward Bode Miller interviews.

Speaking of that, the Bode Miller interview the other night was nothing short of gross.

"Bode, you won the bronze. Is this for your brother?"
"Well...I..." :unsmith:
"You keep looking to the sky. Are you looking for Chilly in heaven?"
(Progressively more difficulty fighting back tears) "I just wanted t--" :smith:
"Your brother is DEAD, Bode. Dead. D-e-a-d Dead."
:cry:
"....sorry..."

It's almost like there was a producer beating off going "Make him cry. Come on CRYYYYYYYY. YESSSSSSS!"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of that, the Bode Miller interview the other night was nothing short of gross.

"Bode, you won the bronze. Is this for your brother?"
"Well...I..." :unsmith:
"You keep looking to the sky. Are you looking for Chilly in heaven?"
(Progressively more difficulty fighting back tears) "I just wanted t--" :smith:
"Your brother is DEAD, Bode. Dead. D-e-a-d Dead."
:cry:
"....sorry..."

It's almost like there was a producer beating off going "Make him cry. Come on CRYYYYYYYY. YESSSSSSS!"

It was definitely tasteless but a lot of people are blowing it out of proportion IMO, because Miller is notoriously stoic and I don't think there's a soul that has ever covered him that wouldn't have expected him to just give a brief answer and move on. The emotion was totally unexpected.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
My favorite part was when they asked if he won it for his brother and he said "not really" and then they were like "but actually you did, right?"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mornacale posted:

My favorite part was when they asked if he won it for his brother and he said "not really" and then they were like "but actually you did, right?"

Yeah there's no way a director wasn't in her earpiece telling her to press it. Cameraman had a full frame of nothing but face, too. NBC wanted that human interest angle in the worst way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've watched a poo poo ton of Biathlon on NBC channels on the internet this year. I think the coverage has actually been better than usual provided you don't watch primetime.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Those of you who hear broadcasters use the same phrases to describe everything, turn on NBCSports and listen to Doc Emerick. Dude is a living thesaurus. "Knifed away, punched on, waffleboarded into the corner..." so much goofy poo poo and it's great.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DJExile posted:

Those of you who hear broadcasters use the same phrases to describe everything, turn on NBCSports and listen to Doc Emerick. Dude is a living thesaurus. "Knifed away, punched on, waffleboarded into the corner..." so much goofy poo poo and it's great.

What? This kind of crap is one of the reasons everyone hates him

http://deadspin.com/list-every-synonym-for-pass-that-rifled-out-of-doc-e-513664662

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Wasn't there a guy on tosh.0 who had pretty terrible sports commentary so he did a web redemption and pulls out "Easy, breezy cover girl." out of no where and Gus Johnson is so taken aback he just stares at him for a few seconds.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Wasn't there a guy on tosh.0 who had pretty terrible sports commentary so he did a web redemption and pulls out "Easy, breezy cover girl." out of no where and Gus Johnson is so taken aback he just stares at him for a few seconds.

Boom goes the dynamite

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

What? This kind of crap is one of the reasons everyone hates him

http://deadspin.com/list-every-synonym-for-pass-that-rifled-out-of-doc-e-513664662

That kind of crap is why Doc is the best PXP man in the business right now. Any moron can say "passes and shoots" a billion times. We got a lotta words to describe actions and Doc uses them to great effect.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Emrick and Pierre McGuire are both awful and hockey games are better without them

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Piss on NBC I'm just gonna wait until the olympics are over and watch them on their official youtube channel like I did the last time.

Example, men's handball final from 2012 which was available not long after the olympics ended, available in english and no commentary versions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFuCFaYT7I

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wait, is there really backlash against Doc Emrick? This thread is the first I've heard of it, and pretty much everywhere I've seen people love him.

Maybe I'm just one of those filthy casual hockey fans but Emrick really makes the game more fun to watch for me, dumb synonyms and all.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It seems to be one of those things where people who don't like him really don't like him for whatever reason. I've always been ok with him and at times I really like him, although I'm a casual playoffs/olympics fan myself so I'm probably not as exposed to him as much as the anti-Doc people.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah Doc seems to be one of the most widely respected sports broadcasters to me, but I guess there's a segment of hardcore hockey fans who really hate him. Maybe it gets old if you watch a lot, but to a very casual fan he's pretty great.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

MourningView posted:

Yeah Doc seems to be one of the most widely respected sports broadcasters to me, but I guess there's a segment of hardcore hockey fans who really hate him. Maybe it gets old if you watch a lot, but to a very casual fan he's pretty great.

Seconding this. He makes games entertaining for me, the filthy casual, and that's all I can ask.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I guess, tilting my head and squinting, his enthusiasm can be overbearing if you watch NHL year-round, but to me that style works perfectly for the Olympics, where every game has high stakes. He also sounds like he has a genuine passion for the game and wants to make every moment count.

Compare that to Gus Johnson (GOON DISCLOSURE I LIKE GUS PLEASE DON'T HURT ME GUYS :shobon:), who is also really excited about the game but seems to try a bit too hard. Like he's trying to engineer excitement rather than letting the game speak for itself, which is part of the reason why he's such a poor fit for soccer.

I don't get that feeling with Doc, and as someone who barely watches hockey outside of the Olympics, he has a real knack of drawing in people like me and getting me engaged. That's the sign of real broadcasting talent, and that's why I think Doc is one of the best out there.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Doc can be annoying at times because his commentary will be a massive run on sentence. However, I love the input he has giving little tidbits about players and coaches, but not being overbearing with them. He and Olczyk are a pretty solid commentary duo. In fact Kenny Albert who's the other broadcaster is one of my favorites that rarely gets mentioned. He does all 4 major sports and I've never had an issue with his commentary. He has the worst sideline analyst for the NFL though, but that's not really his fault.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

marioinblack posted:

Doc can be annoying at times because his commentary will be a massive run on sentence. However, I love the input he has giving little tidbits about players and coaches, but not being overbearing with them. He and Olczyk are a pretty solid commentary duo. In fact Kenny Albert who's the other broadcaster is one of my favorites that rarely gets mentioned. He does all 4 major sports and I've never had an issue with his commentary. He has the worst sideline analyst for the NFL though, but that's not really his fault.
Hell, he made watching water polo during the 2012 Olympics entertaining.

I miss him doing the play-by-play for the Devils though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

marioinblack posted:

Doc can be annoying at times because his commentary will be a massive run on sentence.

A lot of this is just the nature of the sport though.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

True that. I get some of the complaints that Doc calls the game more like a radio announcer vs. a tv announcer in terms of letting the images tell the story, but hockey can be tough to follow (glowing puck anyone?) and casual American audiences still aren't going to be as familiar with the rules and intricacies vs. the other major sports.

Doc's the best, if only because Vin Scully has ascended into a higher being.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

MourningView posted:

Yeah I'm not challenging that. It only rarely bothers me a little bit if he gets overbearing with rambling, but it's not a massive flaw that detracts from the game. Usually it's Pierre that detracts from the game by rambling about inane poo poo.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Some of the problem hardcore fans have with them is that he ONLY does national games now. Back when he did Devils games, he had two pretty distinct announcing styles. He certainly got excited with the Devils, but he toned down a lot of the stuff that he does for the national game. He can call a really good game without using the stuff on NBC that irks people with him.

But again, compare him to the other big four national announcers. I like him a lot better than some of the guys FOX and CBS have for NFL/MLB/NBA.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fox Sports Live beat SportsCenter for the first time last night.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

With the addition of frank luntz this can only have dark portents

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Everything about this list depresses me.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Gus Johnson is terrible at football. He just reminds me of a shittier, more banal version of Ray Hudson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgk04dtId7Y

He's so over the top I just can't help but love him. Plus it helps he's a Geordie.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Gus Johnson is terrible at football. He just reminds me of a shittier, more banal version of Ray Hudson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgk04dtId7Y

He's so over the top I just can't help but love him. Plus it helps he's a Geordie.

He doesn't really know how to call it or the flow of the game so he gets excited for anything that might call for excitement. Same thing is why he's lovely with combat sports.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Yeah, he was VERY terrible for the Fedor vs Rogers fight. He kept trying to make it into a human interest story about Rogers instead of just calling the loving fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
I suggest you all watch a European broadcast of the NFL sometime, it is loving hilarious the amount of punditry during games. It seriously made me miss commercials.