Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I saw this tweet about Supernaut with live Reznor vocals
https://twitter.com/RITCNIN/status/436908275708096512

Which lead me to this Revco song. Someone explain this bass line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgNkq9zOtMk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Uh, what needs explaining? Trent's partially spent his career trying to be Uncle Al and/or Ogre dude. No big secret there. (Also Bowie, etc, etc.)

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Sanctified? Is that two-note slap/funk bass commonality at the beginning of the bass line what you're getting at?

Of course, we all remember Trent's Jerry phase (total ripoff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V2sBURgUBI

ballgameover.mp3 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 22, 2014

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Singing Chav posted:

Uh, what needs explaining? Trent's partially spent his career trying to be Uncle Al and/or Ogre dude. No big secret there. (Also Bowie, etc, etc.)

Nope.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Well...I think he probably did to an extent, but that's how it works. I was just being a smartass above - I hope that came through. But, you know, you get so into music that you see yourself making something as amazing as what influenced you. You obsessively watch their interviews, go to every show you can, listen to every second of their albums so you can get their tricks down just right. It tends to rub off. I don't think that's the same as being a rip-off, though. There are definitely people who are utter hacks and try only to emulate the aspects of artists that make them money. It's a subjective distinction, certainly, but I tend to think that Trent is genuine. A bit nicked here or there isn't such a problem. The guy doesn't exactly seem to be lacking for envelope-pushing original content.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

For reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjX7FwCZa8

Still gives me chills and makes me think the movie is something I know for a fact it isn't.

I still can't believe that movie sucked. Everything about it screams "AWESOME!"

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

YouTubeDoubler is failing me at the moment (in Sochi where nothing loving works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDKkRSUrTd8
vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrrEo3hZABU

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

So the 8th of Feb is going to be 20 years to the day that TDS was released... I heard through the grapevine that they are setting up a live stream from NIN.com for the Newcastle (Australia) show that is on the 8th... Looks like we're getting TDS in it's entirety. *NINgasm*

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
...Wasn't the 8th of February 16 Days ago?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The Downward Spiral was released in March anyway.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They've already played Downward Spiral in its entirety live before (a few years ago), so that wouldn't exactly be a big surprise but it would be cool to see.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

They've already played Downward Spiral in its entirety live before (a few years ago), so that wouldn't exactly be a big surprise but it would be cool to see.

And there are some super good recordings of the performances. Still, a pro-shot soundboard of it would be cool. Especially if it's an early-in-the-show tour so Trent's voice is kind of fresh.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
They are playing that 300 trailer with Eraser on TV now. It's pretty good but it doesn't come close to the original JLYI 300 trailer.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Yes sorry I meant March, was way too excited while typing it out.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

ExplodingSquid posted:

So the 8th of Feb is going to be 20 years to the day that TDS was released... I heard through the grapevine that they are setting up a live stream from NIN.com for the Newcastle (Australia) show that is on the 8th... Looks like we're getting TDS in it's entirety. *NINgasm*

I think they'd probably do this for the sold-out Sydney show over the Newcastle show, simply for equipment and logistics.

Or at least, I hope. I'm shooting the first Sydney show (hopefully).

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

I think they'd probably do this for the sold-out Sydney show over the Newcastle show, simply for equipment and logistics.

Or at least, I hope. I'm shooting the first Sydney show (hopefully).

I can't see them passing up an opportunity to do this on the actual release date of the album in Newcastle...

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

A new thing to buy!!

Coil/Nine Inch Nails: Recoiled

Dat files of some tracks from Broken and TDS were sent to Coil members. Coil members remixed, Trent approved of them and then nothing happened with them I guess. I haven't delved into the history of it but I think these have been sitting around somewhere for at least a decade. These were available to download last month but were not finished. They have now been remastered and officially released.

Tracks:
Gave Up(Open My Eyes)
Closer(Unrecalled)
The Downward Spiral(A Gilded Sickness)
Eraser(Reduction)
Eraser(Baby Alarm Remix)

Cold Spring Records has a couple vinyl versions and a CD for sale. I believe the vinyl will be going fast if it's not already gone by the time you read this.

http://coldspring.co.uk/

The digital version is available on iTunes and Amazon. I paid five bucks on Amazon :) So worth it right?

I haven't listened yet but I did listen to some previews and from what I can tell I've not heard any of these before.

edit: Wow, that Closer remix really takes a turn for the better at 5:15

EdwardSwifferhands fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 26, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I thought that was released as a bootleg a couple years ago now. This is the tracklisting I have:

01. Gave Up (Open My Eyes) (5:28)
02. Closer (Unrecalled) (7:41)
03. The Downward Spiral (A Gilded Sickness) (7:59)
04. Eraser (Reduction) (8:45)
05. Gave Up (Flim Mix) (3:45)
06. Gave Up (Coldcutter) (1:29)
07. Gave Up (In Your Face) (1:38)
08. Gave Up (Full Mix) (1:50)
09. Gave Up (Full Mix+) (2:07)
10. Gave Up (More Perc) (1:43)
11. Gave Up (More Perc No Bass) (1:42)

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
That was the same stuff but not remastered. It was called Uncoiled.

I need to learn how to find these bootlegs. I didn't know any of stuff existed until today.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah, HTDA posted on Instagram that NIN played BBB and Ice Age with Mariqueen last night in Tokyo. I'm gonna need to find video of that.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Oh poo poo they played Beside You in Time and 31 Ghosts IV again! :woop:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fuuuuuck, those setlists! :stare:

Feb. 25:

quote:

Me, I'm Not
Survivalism
Terrible Lie
March of the Pigs
Piggy
Sanctified
Disappointed
Came Back Haunted
Find My Way
Reptile
Hand Covers Bruise (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross cover) (Live debut)
Beside You in Time (First time live since 2006)
Copy of A
All Time Low
Gave Up
The Hand That Feeds
Only
Wish
Head Like a Hole
Hurt
Feb. 26:

quote:

Somewhat Damaged
Letting You (First time live since 2009)
Terrible Lie
March of the Pigs
Piggy
Reptile
The Frail
The Wretched
Vessel (First time live since 2008)
Survivalism
Wish
31 Ghosts IV (First time live since 2008)
Burn
Gave Up
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Encore:

Ice Age (How to Destroy Angels cover) (with Mariqueen Maandig)
BBB (How to Destroy Angels cover) (with Mariqueen Maandig)
Hurt

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 27, 2014

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Fuuuuuck, those setlists! :stare:

Feb. 25:

Feb. 26:

I am going Friday. I hope they play all time low again. I want to see it live.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Trent was on Australian radio via phone a couple of days ago, short is

Alternating Headliners with the Australian Tour.

Josh's wife's band is opening.

Sick of playing the same setlist, playing new music and changing it every night.

Tails never fails.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
New Trent interview on The Quietus, includes discussion of Test Dept, Throbbing Grisle, and the Sleazy collab that never happened.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

LordPants posted:

Sick of playing the same setlist, playing new music and changing it every night.

Are they using the same visuals on this tour? I'd imagine switching that show up would be astoundingly difficult to program considering the craziness of the visuals.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AFewBricksShy posted:

Are they using the same visuals on this tour? I'd imagine switching that show up would be astoundingly difficult to program considering the craziness of the visuals.

They're not, for that very reason. He went to great lengths explaining how he still enjoys performing but after a couple of months of doing the same show over and over the romance is gone.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Twiin posted:

New Trent interview on The Quietus, includes discussion of Test Dept, Throbbing Grisle, and the Sleazy collab that never happened.

Argh. I would have loved to hear that Sleazy collab, NIN and Coil complimented each other so well when they worked together.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

LordPants posted:

Trent was on Australian radio via phone a couple of days ago, short is

Alternating Headliners with the Australian Tour.

Josh's wife's band is opening.

Tails never fails.

I believe it's done via coin toss each night. Can't wait for Thursday's show, then I gotta wait another two weeks for my hometown's show :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I, Butthole posted:

I believe it's done via coin toss each night. Can't wait for Thursday's show, then I gotta wait another two weeks for my hometown's show :(

I think I already covered that with "Tails never fails" ;)

No but seriously, my understanding is they'd toss a coin for the first night then alternate each other night.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

joebob posted:

I am going Friday. I hope they play all time low again. I want to see it live.

Hah they opened with it. It felt like they played 80% of hesitation marks.

edit - setlist

quote:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2014/shinkiba-studio-coast-tokyo-japan-3bc2a800.html

All Time Low
Sanctified
Disappointed
The Beginning of the End
Came Back Haunted
Echoplex
Various Methods of Escape
Survivalism
Me, I'm Not
The Warning
Copy of A
The Great Destroyer
(First time live since 2008)
Find My Way
Only
Beside You in Time
Gave Up
Hurt
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole

looks like 80% was a little high.. more like half.

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 28, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Motherfucker. Seeing Great Destroyer live in '08 during Lights in the Sky was one of the most insanely awesome things I have ever witnessed, so I would love to see how they're doing that with the new band / stage setup. It's probably not nearly as crazy as it was then, but still.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Motherfucker. Seeing Great Destroyer live in '08 during Lights in the Sky was one of the most insanely awesome things I have ever witnessed, so I would love to see how they're doing that with the new band / stage setup. It's probably not nearly as crazy as it was then, but still.

The stage setup at this show was not at all the special kind of setup nin used for that tour. It was still totally amazing. Although someone actually hosed up and started playing the wrong version of the song and Trent had to stop everything and reset because they had planned to play a remix. It was the first time he had spoken to the crowd though at that point so in a lot of ways it actually made things more fun.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Just got my photo pass confirmed to shoot the first Australian show. Bucket list = complete.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

So I've got the first Sydney show tonight... Found out Pre-Salers are getting in early. Gave the venue a call and I only have a 30minute window to check my bag in. Freaking out now.

The Jean Genie
Jan 1, 2010

I'M AFRAID OF AMERICANS
May be in the minority but I'd love to see how the second Sydney show goes down because tonight's show felt pretty lackluster compared to QOTSA's straight afterwards.

Any thoughts?

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
I was a bit shocked that Qotsa's stage setup was so much more grand than NIN. It definitely felt like, yup QOTSA are the headliners.

That said I was up the front for NIN and the setlist was wonderful so I can't complain at all. Apart from the taste of dreadlocks in the mouth and people who just can't GET THEIR HANDS OFF IT.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

I LOVED the setlist. I didn't think they were lacking, I just thought it was Raw... 4 members belting it out.

A Warm Place
Somewhat Damaged
Letting You
Terrible Lie
March of the Pigs
Piggy
Sanctified
Me, I'm Not
Only
Came Back Haunted
Survivalism
Wish
Copy of A
Gave Up
Burn
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole
Hurt

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Here's a thing that's apparently occurring: http://www.theprp.com/2014/03/06/news/soundgarden-and-nine-inch-nails-reportedly-planning-august-dallas-tx-show/

NIN and Soundgaredn playing the same bill? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I wonder whose clout is greater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jean Genie
Jan 1, 2010

I'M AFRAID OF AMERICANS

ExplodingSquid posted:

I LOVED the setlist. I didn't think they were lacking, I just thought it was Raw... 4 members belting it out.

A Warm Place and Me, I'm Not was a nice surprise. It seemed pretty short in comparison to QOTSA, then again most of NIN I spent in the pits drowning in sweat so that might clout my judgement. Great night still!