Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
According to Wikipedia, there are cities named Joppa in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Texas, and West Virginia, as well as two in Scotland and one in England. There's also Joppa Road in Maryland and Joppa Junction on an australian railway track.

It's also an old biblical name for the Israeli city of Jaffa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I kinda figured he was going for Israel when he typed out the list of tribes.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
You guys talking about Joppa road got this song stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUZ7yiJQ2w

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

German Joey posted:

http://www.ancardia.com/download.html - you want the one WITH noteye integration. there's supposed to be a major new release due soon, but who knows if it'll actually be public right away.
Oh hey, this is cool! I never liked to deal with ASCII, so I gave ADOM a try after all. Made a few dwarfen paladins to get my feet wet, but they all died and I could use a few hints :v:

How do you effectively deal with food? I bought a few extra rations after my first char starved, but now my guy keeps complaining after eating the first one, and seems to benefit much less from it.

How robust is the dungeon generation? I'm currently sitting on floor 4 of the first dungeon, and there are no stairs down. I searched the place for a secret door, but no luck.

How harsh is this game with OOD monsters? One of my paladins made it almost to the first boss(carpenter), but then he found a Rust Monster. Had no missile weapon, so it hosed me. I kinda don't think that should happen.

And lastly, can I change the resolution? I like to play in fullscreen, but would also like things to be a bit less tiny.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Short answer to most of your questions is the improved ADOM guidebook: http://adomgb.sweb.cz/

Note that it predates 1.2.0 so some stuff won't quite be the same, but for the most part it'll still be accurate. Can't help you with the tiles question, I can't stand graphical tiles in roguelikes :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jeffrey posted:

I kinda figured he was going for Israel when he typed out the list of tribes.

To say nothing of Golgotha.

In that case the jungles are a bit of a headscratcher, though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Yeah, it was Joppa and Bethesda being ingame that made me think it was Maryland. Until Unormal disabused me of that notion a few pages back, of course.

e: Also, since virtually all of my time spent on Joppa Rd is traveling to/from an awesome restaurant for Peruvian chicken, I get incredibly hungry most times I play CoQ.

I'm probably a bad person, but I now can't stop giggling at "Hungry for CoQ"

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Tin Tim posted:

Oh hey, this is cool! I never liked to deal with ASCII, so I gave ADOM a try after all. Made a few dwarfen paladins to get my feet wet, but they all died and I could use a few hints :v:

How do you effectively deal with food? I bought a few extra rations after my first char starved, but now my guy keeps complaining after eating the first one, and seems to benefit much less from it.

How robust is the dungeon generation? I'm currently sitting on floor 4 of the first dungeon, and there are no stairs down. I searched the place for a secret door, but no luck.

How harsh is this game with OOD monsters? One of my paladins made it almost to the first boss(carpenter), but then he found a Rust Monster. Had no missile weapon, so it hosed me. I kinda don't think that should happen.

And lastly, can I change the resolution? I like to play in fullscreen, but would also like things to be a bit less tiny.

1.) usually most characters will try to buy 3-4 large rations at the start, especially ones with low starting str (you can train strength by walking around burdened if your str is less than 15). that + corpses + found rations is enough to get you to the arena in the main dungeon, where a ratling trader will sell you cooked lizards that are the same as a ration but weigh 3s instead of 200s. there's also herb patches where you can find an herb called "stomafilla" that weigh 3s but give as much satiation as 5-10 rations. but, only try to eat when you're "Hungry", as you get a speed and defense penalty if you're "Satiated" (and an even bigger one if you're "Bloated").

2.) dungeon generation is robust. there's a secret room with the downstairs somewhere for sure.

3.) try to fight rust monsters with a bow and arrow if you have them, or otherwise just run from them. adom isn't that bad with OOD monsters except in specific places. some of the bosses and their entourages can be very nasty though.

by the way, for that carpenter a better tactic is to run from him, leading him back up to jarod, who will cure his insanity. he'll then teach you the healing skill, which is extraordinarily useful. paladins don't need to do that dungeon, however, because they already start with the healing skill. instead, at the start of a new game, talk to the druid instead of the mayor (you can only get the mayor's quest or the druid's quest as they share the same dungeon) to get the quest to stop the evil druid, which has a much better reward for you.

4.) I have no idea if that's possible, but i know there's a full set of noteye options dealing with the tiles and music. I think its alt-m or something? I'm at work and don't have the game in front of me, but you can see the full list of commands by pressing '?' and then following the menu.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the tips, folks! I'll play a new file later and see if I can get anything done :v:

E:

BobMcFartsens posted:

Picked up SotS: The Pit a bit ago and been playing it the last week. This game is so frustrating. I love it.

I swear I got killed by Adaptoids 5 times in a row the other day.
This is from a few pages back, but caught my eye because I was surprised that the game isn't included in the OP. I've played it a fuckton, so maybe I'll do an effort post for it eventually.

If you're still having trouble with Adaptoids, let me tell you a few neat ways to spot them. First, they can only disguise as some of the 1 Tile wide props. The list includes things like medical lockers, ammo containers, ruined and normal beds, cages, tables, armor/gear lockers, and a few more. If you want to be save, always approach props with one move left. If you can't interact with it(if possible to begin with), it's a mimic. Then you can just evade it, or burn some crap ammo if you really need the Xp. However, the best tell for the presence of an Adaptoid are props that are out of place, like a med locker in an armory, or props that don't quite fit the usual layout. After playing for a while, you'll develop a feel for how props are placed. Like, two lockers that are touching each other likely means one's a mimic. Also, they only reveal if you're right next them, being at the diagonal squares is safe. With the expansions, you can also use the life sense power to find them!

Adaptoids are a common problem for new players, but they get less dangerous when you have some experience with the game. However, with the expansions, you can also meet another type of Adaptiod on the deep floors. They give the name "Mimic" a whole new meaning, and often kill runs really hard :ohdear:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 20, 2014

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Adaptoids are a common problem for new players, but they get less dangerous when you have some experience with the game. However, with the expansions, you can also meet another type of Adaptiod on the deep floors. They give the name "Mimic" a whole new meaning, and often kill runs really hard :ohdear:

Do they copy you or the room? I keep checking up on The Pit during Steam Sales but I've always talked my self out of it. One day in the far future I'll buy it and probably fall in love.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Anyone play Wazhack and have an opinion on it? It looks pretty interesting.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

TOOT BOOT posted:

Time for my first Darkforge raid in ADOM. let's see what their legendary armor cache has in store...

:argh:

Haha, I had the same thing happen to me on a great beastfighter I'm running. Nothing but robes and one pair of yellow clothing. And of course the weapons vault had eternium halberds of slaughtering and crystal long swords of devastation.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Flython posted:

Do they copy you or the room? I keep checking up on The Pit during Steam Sales but I've always talked my self out of it. One day in the far future I'll buy it and probably fall in love.
You. The exact data is unclear, but they get your health, armor, powers, and most or maybe all of your weapons. Depending on what you play, this can be really loving bad!

I'd say try the demo or watch a vid about the game first, because it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. It's harsh and hella random, so you need to play it a bunch before you'll get anywhere.

So, my next stabs at ADOM went like the ones before :qq:

This happened right after I left the lovely town. The mage summoned all that poo poo, and I almost couldn't even hit her. And the few hits that landed, did little damage. The sheriff followed me for some reason, and watched in horror till I was toast.

And the next try, gave me this as the first dungeon floor. I searched all the walls, and then also kicked them in hopes to find a door. Nope, nothing seems to be there. Am I missing something, or is the new version maybe bugged? Really, I saw similar things at least three times now.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
there is absolutely a hidden door in that room. just press s to search along the walls, or 'w s' to search continuously for iirc 50 turns. also search in adom only searches adjacent tiles (unlike, say, crawl, which searches everything in LOS), so you actually have to stand next to the wall to search for the hidden door.

as for wilderness encounters, you can usually just evade them or run from them by switching into coward tactics and getting the hell out of there.

edit: here's a youtube of a pretty experienced guy playing ADOM w/ tiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgefJYVJXXg

German Joey fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 22, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

fyi crawl got rid of hidden doors because they are dumb

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

fyi crawl got rid of hidden doors because they are dumb

crawl still does have traps though, right?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wilderness encounters stop being a problem with some levels and armor. It's just one of the myriad things that can kill you when you're level 1.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

German Joey posted:

Damage ones are only in vaults but yep, you are right, search still works on them.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
When I see that screenshot all I can think of is an alternate ending to the Sound of Music where the Nazis killed the Von Trap singers.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

German Joey posted:

there is absolutely a hidden door in that room. just press s to search along the walls, or 'w s' to search continuously for iirc 50 turns. also search in adom only searches adjacent tiles (unlike, say, crawl, which searches everything in LOS), so you actually have to stand next to the wall to search for the hidden door.

as for wilderness encounters, you can usually just evade them or run from them by switching into coward tactics and getting the hell out of there.

edit: here's a youtube of a pretty experienced guy playing ADOM w/ tiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgefJYVJXXg
Thanks, I'll give that vid a watch. And yeah, there was a door there. Though, I swear I already searched that tile and kicked the wall. Is spotting hidden doors a % thing?

I'll try to flee from such an encounter next time. Really, I should have after seeing that my hit chance was so bad. I guess it's just that I got accustomed to starting zones being kinda safe to dick around in.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

German Joey posted:

You can also kick all the walls until you see something like "you really hurt your foot" rather than just "you hurt your foot" to find out where the door is hidden. Still have to 's'earch for it once you see that message though. I can't remember if there are downsides to wantonly kicking walls, but since this is ADOM there probably is.

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks, I'll give that vid a watch. And yeah, there was a door there. Though, I swear I already searched that tile and kicked the wall. Is spotting hidden doors a % thing?

Yeah it's a percent chance to find hidden doors.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tin Tim posted:

Another way to deal with rust monsters is to carry a weapon not made of metal (such as a Stone Spear or Quarterstaff) as backup.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I suggest taking a good long look at the adom wiki and the improved guidebook. ADOM is one of those roguelikes where you want to be spoiled as much as possible. Threats fall into two categories for the most part, trivial and things that will kill you instantly.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Another way to deal with rust monsters is to carry a weapon not made of metal (such as a Stone Spear or Quarterstaff) as backup.

Or you can put a spare metal item in the missile slot and throw it at the rust monster which will make it stop bothering you.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks for the tips, folks! I'll play a new file later and see if I can get anything done :v:

E:

This is from a few pages back, but caught my eye because I was surprised that the game isn't included in the OP. I've played it a fuckton, so maybe I'll do an effort post for it eventually.

If you're still having trouble with Adaptoids, let me tell you a few neat ways to spot them. First, they can only disguise as some of the 1 Tile wide props. The list includes things like medical lockers, ammo containers, ruined and normal beds, cages, tables, armor/gear lockers, and a few more. If you want to be save, always approach props with one move left. If you can't interact with it(if possible to begin with), it's a mimic. Then you can just evade it, or burn some crap ammo if you really need the Xp. However, the best tell for the presence of an Adaptoid are props that are out of place, like a med locker in an armory, or props that don't quite fit the usual layout. After playing for a while, you'll develop a feel for how props are placed. Like, two lockers that are touching each other likely means one's a mimic. Also, they only reveal if you're right next them, being at the diagonal squares is safe. With the expansions, you can also use the life sense power to find them!

Thanks for the tips! I got the DLC and stuff, which has made certain things easier (Psionics help detect those drat adaptoids), but since it added so much, it's made it even tougher. So far i've only got 1 win under my belt, as Scout. Tryin' for a Ranger victory next.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

BobMcFartsens posted:

Thanks for the tips! I got the DLC and stuff, which has made certain things easier (Psionics help detect those drat adaptoids), but since it added so much, it's made it even tougher. So far i've only got 1 win under my belt, as Scout. Tryin' for a Ranger victory next.
Nice, did you win on normal or easy? :v:

The Ranger is one of my favorites, because she has some nice unique talents. The tail attack can mostly get you through the first ten floors, so in a perfect run, you'd only use your pistol and sword once every character level to make raising those skills cheaper. Being stingy with your pistol ammo is also kind of a big deal, because that type of ammo isn't very common. The three movement points also go a long way. Evading some of the bigger enemies, and generally trying to be stealthy, is a good idea with the Ranger. Especially when you can lure acid blobs into a room, and get out again while closing the door behind you. Only the biggest blobs will try to bust down doors, and they usually stop when you get away far enough. I personally focus my early levels on pistol/blade/forage/psi def. She starts with good forage, but getting it to 80 ASAP, can score you some amazing early drops. Psi def will save your life in the long run, but the skills after psi armor are of questionable value. Later levels depend on what things you find, but the Ranger needs a good overall balance in stats and skills. Though, you can skip on psi power as you'll never use offense powers. Getting it to 60 helps with resistance, iirc, but points after that are a waste. The late game can be harsh for the Ranger though, because she has to completely rely on what things you can loot. To help with that, invest a bit in your decipher skill and use the tesseract wells. Stuff any surplus ammo/weapons/things in there, as they may save your run later on.

The expansion really added a lot of nice stuff to the game, but as you said, it has also gotten tougher. Especially the massive drop table can lead to some problems, because lots of items are made for certain races and can even be restricted to them. It's awful when all your armor drops are not for your race :qq:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

German Joey posted:

Really the only ones worth half a poo poo are still Zot traps. They also lumped in the Traps skill with your player level so you become passively better and better at spotting them over time, which was a pretty good change to make it so that people don't have to dump time and energy into leveling what was a dump stat.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Tin Tim posted:

Nice, did you win on normal or easy? :v:

The Pit Chat

I won on Normal with Scout! I just got to ~20 on my Ranger, but ultimately didn't have enough firepower. Thanks for advise for my next run.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

As further proof the word roguelike is becoming meaningless, some guy posted on the roguelike subreddit saying he was looking for something to play with two of the possible criteria being coop and realistic combat.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

BobMcFartsens posted:

I won on Normal with Scout! I just got to ~20 on my Ranger, but ultimately didn't have enough firepower. Thanks for advise for my next run.
Oh hey, guess what? I'm also doing a Ranger atm, and have the same problem.

Have been rushing pretty much since I got past floor 20, because I still only have my starting armor and a sniper rifle as my best weapon. But hey, I can have one awesome meal before I croak.

This is where I just now saved my game. Cornered by Green Men, with Specimen Takers hot on my rear end. There is also a Morrigi Screamer and fire blob on my trail. Yeah :qq:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm not sure exactly when Brogue Tiles got updated, but it's at 1.7.3 now.

http://oryxdesignlab.com/brogue-tiles

I still prefer ASCII but like to switch my game over to tiles now and then.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

You can also kick all the walls until you see something like "you really hurt your foot" rather than just "you hurt your foot" to find out where the door is hidden. Still have to 's'earch for it once you see that message though. I can't remember if there are downsides to wantonly kicking walls, but since this is ADOM there probably is.

Yeah it's a percent chance to find hidden doors.

You'll sometimes shatter the door and activate the trap on it.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

I'm not sure exactly when Brogue Tiles got updated, but it's at 1.7.3 now.

http://oryxdesignlab.com/brogue-tiles

I still prefer ASCII but like to switch my game over to tiles now and then.

Still no mac version :(
Good thing the ASCII is more attractive than most other games' tiles.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Unreal World 3.18 comes out in 3 days.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Unreal World 3.18 comes out in 3 days.

:toot: Is there a changes .txt? I have a relatively old (prior to the freeware? stuff? he is doing now) version. I checked out the message board but the update posts seemed pretty disparate.

edit: I guess the bolded stuff here lays out what the changes are. I must not have as old of a version as I thought since I have "Ability to continue building after cancelling the process; thus making the selection of your working hours and periods completely free" in my current version.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 25, 2014

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone here playing Poschengband? Just attempted the Old Man Willow quest and it was brutal. Vorpal bunnies, sasquatchs, hourns and sabre-toothed tigers just pouring out of the trees with nowhere to hide. I probably wasn't the most suitable character for it being a life/crusade priest and I should have brought more fire wands and used my potions of speed earlier. Are all quest monsters aware of your presence from the start or was I just not stealthy enough?

I'm enjoying the game and it's crazy just how many different things are in it. I've killed Ewoks, Mi-Go, Robin Hood, Smeagle and I'm dreading the day I come across Santa Claus.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
From what I dimly recall of Zangband-based quests, the monsters don't start out aware of you. This is good because some quests have breeders in them and would become literally impossible if you don't have AoE attacks. That doesn't mean that the quest isn't full of twitchy monsters that will quickly wake up, though.

As a general rule, quests can be very, very hard, way harder than their "difficulty level" would indicate. Many of them have basically no cover and may require you to cross wide open sections to reach stationary spellcasters; others (as you've discovered) will swarm you with nasty melee enemies from the get-go. Personally I don't think it's a huge crime to savescum a quest, at least the first time you try it when you have no idea what it entails.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Thinking it over, with a little more preparation I could have probably completed the quest and not just escaped with my life. If only my weaponmaster was as lucky, he died so, so fast. I definitely feel myself improving thanks to your LP. You should have seen me create boss arenas with stone to mud and abuse the hell out of my detection rod. I'm really going to miss that on my next character.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Doesn't look like much, but big basic milestone with working dynamic fonts, clickable UI elements and stretchable '9-panel' bitmaps, all on the fancy new prototype 'sprog 2.0' engine, which has a fully automated content pipeline (texture->atlas->in-game object). No more manual atlas building for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Doesn't look like much, but big basic milestone with working dynamic fonts, clickable UI elements and stretchable '9-panel' bitmaps, all on the fancy new prototype 'sprog 2.0' engine, which has a fully automated content pipeline (texture->atlas->in-game object). No more manual atlas building for me!

That's huge, man does it ever feel good to get automated stuff working. UI too, I hate working on it, but it's nice when all the pieces fit and you have something reusable. Congratulations.