Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Posted yesterday about missing parts in my Sea Cow set. Once again proving they have great customer service they're sending me all the bags marked 7 from the set to take care of it. Now I just have to wait a week or so to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Edit: double oops. Please ignore.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

DisposableHero posted:

Posted yesterday about missing parts in my Sea Cow set. Once again proving they have great customer service they're sending me all the bags marked 7 from the set to take care of it. Now I just have to wait a week or so to finish it.

That's super impressive. Lego seems like one company you just never hear anything bad about. People who haven't touched Lego since they were a kid react to the price being "high" compared to what they remember but they still see it as a great value.

I have been wanting to try a "build the set inside the bag" thing for a while but everything I get seems to be in multiple bags. I grabbed a couple of the SW microfighters tonight assuming they were in a single bag but the had a little bag with the extra pieces. Any of you have some sets you'd recommend that would come in a single bag I could try?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Gravy Jones posted:

In the UK [the sea cow is] actually surprisingly cheap compared to elsewhere and other sets of a similar scale. I'm still not sure though.

Really? How much is it in other countries? I did notice it's £170 for about 2700 pieces which is really great because usually the price is around 9-10p per piece, so I'd have expected closed to 2000. Definitely better value than smaller kits.

ChesterJT posted:

I have been wanting to try a "build the set inside the bag" thing for a while but everything I get seems to be in multiple bags. I grabbed a couple of the SW microfighters tonight assuming they were in a single bag but the had a little bag with the extra pieces. Any of you have some sets you'd recommend that would come in a single bag I could try?

The ONLY kit I've done this with was Chase McCain from the Lego City videogame, and even though it's just a minifig, it was STILL really hard.

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp

ChesterJT posted:

The easiest sets to build in-bag are the $5 Creator sets. The bags are free of printing, the instructions come packaged outside the bag, so you can keep the model sealed in the bag forever. In-bag builds are faddish, though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ChesterJT posted:

That's super impressive. Lego seems like one company you just never hear anything bad about. People who haven't touched Lego since they were a kid react to the price being "high" compared to what they remember but they still see it as a great value.

I built the Monster Fighters Werewolf set in bag a while ago (link). I'd look for sets around the twenty dollar range with multiple smaller parts - a couple of vehicles or a vehicle and a display part because those tend to be in fewer bags from what I've seen.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What is the purpose of building the set in the bag?

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
They really do have the best customer service. I was recently in a Lego store and checking out the damaged boxes section, and they had a few of the Winter Village Market Place in there with the 20% off discount sticker, however at the register I was told it was a mistake and shop exclusives were not supposed to be discounted. So I went home and emailed Lego about it, thinking maybe they could call the store and make them honor the discount, instead however they gave me 450 VIP points and a $25 gift card.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

caiman posted:

It's fun. I think that the Werewolf is actually a really lovely, boring build but doing it in the bag adds a lot of challenge and lengthens the process a considerable amount, so I feel like I get more value for my money when I do it that way.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

caiman posted:

"Because you can", mostly. It's sort of like a ghetto ship-in-a-bottle effect. It's something that's fun to do once or twice for the sake of it, but not something that I can see anyone doing regularly.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

Rathina posted:

They really do have the best customer service. I was recently in a Lego store and checking out the damaged boxes section, and they had a few of the Winter Village Market Place in there with the 20% off discount sticker, however at the register I was told it was a mistake and shop exclusives were not supposed to be discounted. So I went home and emailed Lego about it, thinking maybe they could call the store and make them honor the discount, instead however they gave me 450 VIP points and a $25 gift card.

Yea..they do. I went to order Jabba's palace (need it for the rancor pit I got) and it turns out they were out of the Piece of Resistance. I called them up and they put in a mini-VW Van as the $75 bonus instead.

Oh...and the new Star Wars blasters are sorta cool.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Red_Chief posted:

Yea..they do. I went to order Jabba's palace (need it for the rancor pit I got) and it turns out they were out of the Piece of Resistance. I called them up and they put in a mini-VW Van as the $75 bonus instead.

Oh...and the new Star Wars blasters are sorta cool.

$75 bonus? Man, Lego America sounds lovely. The free gifts in the UK are if you spend £25 or more. That mini-VW is sweet as hell though, and convinced me to buy the bigger one :3:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Cloks posted:

It's fun. I think that the Werewolf is actually a really lovely, boring build but doing it in the bag adds a lot of challenge and lengthens the process a considerable amount, so I feel like I get more value for my money when I do it that way.

The Werewolf set as a stand alone looks like crap and sucks but if you pair it with the Haunted Mansion and the graveyard set, you get a really nice, creepy graveyard scene that works so well on display. Plus I got my on discount last year so I love that more.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Everyone needs to check out this gallery showing off the Dad's room from The Lego Movie.

http://imgur.com/gallery/w3WB2

It's packed with tiny details and replicas of almost all the main scenes, definitely worth checking out.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Man, it'd be awesome if the ship above the Imperial Flagship was released as a set. I need me some more pirates but I don't think I can justify the Sea Cow seeing as Emmet's mech and Benny's SPACESHIP are already on the buy list.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
I wasn't originally gonna buy Emmett's mech, but I now feel the need to own every iteration of Uni-kitty. I'm hoping it's around $70, that wouldn't be so bad on top of the Sea Cow and Spaceship!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ChesterJT posted:

I think, adjusted for inflation, Lego is cheaper per piece now then it was in the 90s, licensed sets and architecture excluded, of course.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
How do people like to pose their minifigs? Most of them just fall straight over unless they're attached to something (or standing straight upright) but that reduces interesting poses you can pull off. What's recommended for poses? Blue tack, those little glue dots?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Rare Collectable posted:

Everyone needs to check out this gallery showing off the Dad's room from The Lego Movie.

http://imgur.com/gallery/w3WB2

It's packed with tiny details and replicas of almost all the main scenes, definitely worth checking out.

So amazing, I loved the burn to hoarders. I've been in such a miserable grind for my terminal studios this spring, I didn't realize how poo poo I had been feeling until I took a break to see the movie. It totally cheered me up, made my month. Everything is awesome!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

How do people like to pose their minifigs? Most of them just fall straight over unless they're attached to something (or standing straight upright) but that reduces interesting poses you can pull off. What's recommended for poses? Blue tack, those little glue dots?

Stick them to a plate? The foil bag minifigs come with 3x4 plates that look pretty nice, can probably get them by the hundred on bricklink.

I'm not really in the minifig displaying business though, all mine are inside builds.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah, when I want to pose one outside of a build standing on a shelf I use those plates that come with the blind bag figures. You can do all sorts of poses that way.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Wow, the Star Wars micros sold out fast tons of places. Also the Lego Movie sets. Lego must be doing the best ever right now.

Also, with the rumors of another $350+ dollar set (Jawa Sandcrawler), does this finally mean the end to the Lego Death Star's 6 year production?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah before the movie actually came out some of the 2 in 1 sets seemed to sell out, but now the main sets seem to sell out as well. Glad I got the ones I wanted. Also I saw some (all?) of the new SW sets at Target today, but just picked up the TIE Intereceptor micro... I picked up the Rancor Pit on sale and gotta save for the Palace now since I can't seem to find a deal on it anywhere.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

jeeves posted:

Lego must be doing the best ever right now.

They had the second largest sales increase in history after the film came out.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Dogen posted:

Yeah before the movie actually came out some of the 2 in 1 sets seemed to sell out, but now the main sets seem to sell out as well. Glad I got the ones I wanted. Also I saw some (all?) of the new SW sets at Target today, but just picked up the TIE Intereceptor micro... I picked up the Rancor Pit on sale and gotta save for the Palace now since I can't seem to find a deal on it anywhere.

Palace most likely won't be on deal, it is vanishing everywhere like the Galaxy Squad stuff.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jonas Albrecht posted:

They had the second largest sales increase in history after the film came out.

Is there an article or figure you can link us to? I'd like to read more on that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Neurion posted:

Is there an article or figure you can link us to? I'd like to read more on that.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/feb/16/lego-rise-rise-little-bricks

It appears that I was wrong. They became the second biggest toy company last year, before the release of the movie. Not sure how I messed that up.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

jeeves posted:

Also, with the rumors of another $350+ dollar set (Jawa Sandcrawler), does this finally mean the end to the Lego Death Star's 6 year production?

Source?

People have been expecting the Death Star to stop production for probably four years now. I'm not sure what the plan is with that set. It's definitely a strange outlier, and I doubt Lego will ever make anything on that scale again. I kinda hope they just keep producing them forever. It's the perfect rich kid star wars set. Every important mining and a beautiful doll house. I'm thankful I got it on discount during a black Friday two years ago.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The LEGO Death Star popped up at my local Big W recently and I've been a little bit tempted, except that it's $600.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan, but the Death Star is a set that I've had on my wish list forever. There's just something about it that's incredibly compelling.

The 2 in 1 Movie sets are really nice. I bought the Ice Cream Van and it's a great little build. I'm not bothered about the alt-mode (yeah, yeah I'm Lord Business) but the van itself would fit in really well as a City set. It would certainly make a nice difference from all the Police sets.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Chairchucker posted:

The LEGO Death Star popped up at my local Big W recently and I've been a little bit tempted, except that it's $600.

I spotted a super star destroyer at mine the other day. $699.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan, but the Death Star is a set that I've had on my wish list forever. There's just something about it that's incredibly compelling.

It's because it's essentially a giant dollhouse/playset themed after and in the shape of a literal star of death. How could it not be badass.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I think part of the problem with the Lego sets seeming expensive, is that for some reason the pictures on the box, and the box sizes makes the sets seem smaller then they are when out and put together. I was looking at the two police car sets as the only ones I was interested in (Pre-movie, drat you lego and making me want a Cloud Cuukoo Land set), and after seeing them assembled in a lego Store display I got to see how huge they were and they seemed a lot more worth what they cost then the dinky box pictures.

Just wondering for those that have it, does the Flying Badcop car have an alternate build?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Anora posted:

I think part of the problem with the Lego sets seeming expensive, is that for some reason the pictures on the box, and the box sizes makes the sets seem smaller then they are when out and put together. I was looking at the two police car sets as the only ones I was interested in (Pre-movie, drat you lego and making me want a Cloud Cuukoo Land set), and after seeing them assembled in a lego Store display I got to see how huge they were and they seemed a lot more worth what they cost then the dinky box pictures.

Just wondering for those that have it, does the Flying Badcop car have an alternate build?

No. it's glued together.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Also a real downer for me, the flying saloon biplane doesn't have an alt.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RodShaft posted:

No. it's glued together.

Open the box and the car just falls out fully assembled, single mold cast.

Network42 posted:

Also a real downer for me, the flying saloon biplane doesn't have an alt.

Make an alt? It's loving lego bricks. :v:

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

xzzy posted:

Open the box and the car just falls out fully assembled, single mold cast.

Make an alt? It's loving lego bricks. :v:

They should make a movie with that as the moral.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Searching ebay, I am seeing this stupid piece of poo poo come up a lot. . . A Lego toilet. I think it's a little disturbing this thing is so popular. That said, is there any possible way to make that toilet paper roll with permanently disfiguring a Lego piece? I don't consider it an interesting or useful construction, just wondering if the ever so popular TP roll is a molestation or not.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

Searching ebay, I am seeing this stupid piece of poo poo come up a lot. . . A Lego toilet. I think it's a little disturbing this thing is so popular. That said, is there any possible way to make that toilet paper roll with permanently disfiguring a Lego piece? I don't consider it an interesting or useful construction, just wondering if the ever so popular TP roll is a molestation or not.

Nope, that's a mutilated plate w/ bar.
The toilet's almost identical to the toilet in the new Flying Flusher movie set, except it uses a lightsaber bar & 1x1 cylinder piece instead of an antenna, and the TP roll is just stuck on a brick w/ side stud.

Speaking of, they sure have been willing to throw toilets into builds now. I don't recall them ever being present a few years ago, and now they're showing up pretty often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Pyroclastic posted:

Speaking of, they sure have been willing to throw toilets into builds now. I don't recall them ever being present a few years ago, and now they're showing up pretty often.

The Pet Shop/Brownstone modular is the first set I saw a toilet in.