Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apparently Amazon leaked some May releases. Fans of Wes Anderson, Howard Hawks, and Billy Wilder should be very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Apparently Amazon leaked some May releases. Fans of Wes Anderson, Howard Hawks, and Billy Wilder should be very happy.

Zissou blu, about time.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
http://blog.criterioncast.com/post/76702565784/the-may-2014-criterion-collection-line-up-may

May 6th
Ace In The Hole

May 13th
Like Someone In Love
Overlord

May 20th
:dance::siren:The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
:siren::dance:

May 27th
Red River

first time in a long time that i would buy every one of those.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

This guy has a bunch of Criterions up for sale - reasonable prices and free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/brodzik2/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I snagged his Grey Gardens. :)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

robix smash posted:

http://blog.criterioncast.com/post/76702565784/the-may-2014-criterion-collection-line-up-may

May 6th
Ace In The Hole

May 13th
Like Someone In Love
Overlord

May 20th

May 27th
Red River

first time in a long time that i would buy every one of those.

If Amazon's disc count is correct, the Life Aquatic Blu is not a combo (it's only one disc). Ace in the Hole and Overlord are three and two discs, respectively, meaning not much (if anything) that wasn't on the DVDs, and Like Someone in Love is also only two. (I hope it's not barebones!)

Red River, on the other hand, is FOUR. Is this another aspect-ratio thing like On the Waterfront, or is it just loaded with features?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Good Christ, it's about time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

If Amazon's disc count is correct, the Life Aquatic Blu is not a combo (it's only one disc). Ace in the Hole and Overlord are three and two discs, respectively, meaning not much (if anything) that wasn't on the DVDs, and Like Someone in Love is also only two. (I hope it's not barebones!)

Red River, on the other hand, is FOUR. Is this another aspect-ratio thing like On the Waterfront, or is it just loaded with features?

Criterion did say that some Blu upgrades would not be dual format. My guess is that DVD stock of Ace in the Hole and Overlord is almost depleted, so they might as well make the second printing dual format. The Life Aquatic is licensed from Disney. The DVDs for the Disney-licensed films were actually distributed by Disney, but I think the Blu editions have been distributed by Criterion. That's why The Life Aquatic and The Royal Tenenbaums show up at Walmart.

Red River is probably 4-disc because the two cuts of the film total over four hours. It was originally released in 1948, so aspect ratio is a non-issue.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Overlord is crazy good.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Egbert Souse posted:

Red River is probably 4-disc because the two cuts of the film total over four hours. It was originally released in 1948, so aspect ratio is a non-issue.

Makes sense! I thought 1948 was too early for multiple AR but didn't google to confirm.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Anonymous Robot posted:

Overlord is crazy good.

One of my very favorite Criterion releases. Cannot wait to upgrade. I always assumed that it was kind of a poor seller for them, and didn't think that they'd be upgrading it to blu. So glad I'm wrong!

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

robix smash posted:

May 20th

Really, really excited that this has an impending release.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there some difference between the version of Breathless that's being released on the 25th and the older blu-ray one?

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there some difference between the version of Breathless that's being released on the 25th and the older blu-ray one?

I think it's just the same but with a DVD and a blu-ray, because they're all about packing in both formats now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Any chance someone has a copy of the qatsi trilogy bluray they're looking to sell?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DetoxP posted:

I think it's just the same but with a DVD and a blu-ray, because they're all about packing in both formats now.

Early word is that the discs for Breathless are exactly the same except with revised disc art. I would expect the same for The 400 Blows and Ace in the Hole.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

I was so excited for Like Someone in Love to finally come, but it has to have about the shittiest cover in months. I complain about cover art a lot but holy hell, it's so generic and unappealing.

I mean, it doesn't matter and I'll still buy it, but I need to vent and act entitled because this is the internet.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

PDMChubby posted:

I was so excited for Like Someone in Love to finally come, but it has to have about the shittiest cover in months. I complain about cover art a lot but holy hell, it's so generic and unappealing.

I mean, it doesn't matter and I'll still buy it, but I need to vent and act entitled because this is the internet.

The poster is pretty bland too, graphic designers must not be able to nail down that movie. Still haven't seen it but I really want to.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Blu)
Same as original 2-disc DVD release. DVD still listed as outside retailer only.

Overlord (Blu)
Same as original DVD release.

Ace in the Hole (Dual Format)
Same as original DVD release, except new 4K restoration.

Like Someone in Love (Dual Format and DVD)
Forty-five-minute documentary on the making of the film
Trailer
New English subtitle translation
PLUS: An essay by film scholar and critic Nico Baumbach

Red River (4-disc Dual Format)
New 4K digital restoration of the rarely presented original theatrical release version, the preferred cut of director Howard Hawks, with monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
2K restoration of the longer version of Red River
New interview with filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich about Red River and the two versions
New interview with critic Molly Haskell about Hawks and Red River
New interview with western scholar Lee Clark Mitchell about western genre literature
Audio excerpts of a 1972 conversation between Hawks and Bogdanovich
Excerpts from a 1970 audio interview with novelist and screenwriter Borden Chase
More!
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a 1991 interview with Hawks’s longtime editor Christian Nyby; a new paperback edition of Chase’s original novel, previously out of print

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Blu)
Same as original 2-disc DVD release. DVD still listed as outside retailer only.

This appears to be new:

•New interviews with actors Bill Murray, Willem Dafoe, and Jeff Goldblum

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CBS licensed the commentaries from Criterion's laserdisc of I Love Lucy episodes for the upcoming Blu set of season one. This would open up a possibility of them licensing a CBS Films or Cinema Center Films title.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There's some early looks at the French Jacques Tati box set. Playtime is from a new 4K restoration from the 65mm interpositive. Criterion's transfer was an older 2K from the 35mm reduction internegative (two generations away from the negative) and had a lot of baked-in DVNR and edge enhancement. Nothing horrible, but pretty clear it was a transfer meant for downsampling to standard definition DVD.

Criterion's Blu-Ray:

StudioCanal's Blu-Ray:

(taken from DVDClassik.com)

Doesn't look like Jour de Fete, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, and Mon Oncle are that different from the BFI editions, which generally look amazing. The French set is literally a complete box of Tati's works, even down to including every surviving short film he made in HD. Criterion's box set should be pretty similar, even if some seem to believe Trafic will be omitted since it's fully owned by StudioCanal.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 22, 2014

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Well, time to sell the subpar Blu-ray you got me for Christmas.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, time to sell the subpar Blu-ray you got me for Christmas.

As soon as I heard that the Tati box was coming, I sold the ones I had. The profits should pay for the new box set when it's out. :getin:

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
criterion.com flash 50% off sale. code: MADFOX

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Couldn't they have waited a few weeks for Hidden Fortress to come out :negative:

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
i'm surprised they waited for fantastic mr fox honestly. they usually have the wes anderson's available just after (rushmore and tenenbaums at least, iirc).

trying to get fantastic mr. fox, band of outsiders and badlands. site is almost dead already though.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 25, 2014

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Egbert Souse posted:

Doesn't look like Jour de Fete, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, and Mon Oncle are that different from the BFI editions, which generally look amazing. The French set is literally a complete box of Tati's works, even down to including every surviving short film he made in HD. Criterion's box set should be pretty similar, even if some seem to believe Trafic will be omitted since it's fully owned by StudioCanal.

Is there a time frame for when this box set will come out from Criterion?

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Ughhh, the age old question of either being fiscally responsible or getting what I want. I've been waiting to use the $50 gift card my girlfriend got me for birthday back in November precisely for this occasion. At first I was going to get some individual picks, Throne of Blood, Thief maybe. I really want the Zatoichi box set but I'm impossibly broke, that is until I saw that I have a $10 credit on my account as well. Should I get 3ish individual movies or should the rent check come a little late this month?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Momotaros posted:

Ughhh, the age old question of either being fiscally responsible or getting what I want. I've been waiting to use the $50 gift card my girlfriend got me for birthday back in November precisely for this occasion. At first I was going to get some individual picks, Throne of Blood, Thief maybe. I really want the Zatoichi box set but I'm impossibly broke, that is until I saw that I have a $10 credit on my account as well. Should I get 3ish individual movies or should the rent check come a little late this month?

Do you prefer living indoors or boxes of Japanese films?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Cloks posted:

Do you prefer living indoors or boxes of Japanese films?

The Zatoichi box is practically large enough to live in, so that might solve two problems.

UPDATE: Since I was really good and actually made a bit of extra money yesterday, I bit the bullet and got 10 (plus 12 for the $50 gift cert that I got from buying so goddamn much of their poo poo):

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Grey Gardens
Rififi
Thief
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Foreign Correspondent
Fanny and Alexander
Tess
The Great Dictator
Throne of Blood
Children of Paradise
The Last Metro

I deserve it, damnit. Conspicuous consumption! :ssj:

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 25, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Just saw and goddammit I'm at work.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
My first Criterion order! I'm so excited! I picked up:

The Game
Thief
Traffic

Looks like they're selling out of some stuff already, including Mad Mad World and King of the Hill, so anyone on the fence should probably place your order now.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

UH OH

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153932930855565&set=a.267108010564.311536.24856820564&type=1

"We’re doing something special this flash sale…

Twenty lucky customers will find golden tickets tucked into their orders. Those winners will get goodies ranging from shirts and swag up to the grand prize: your very own trip via webcam to the Criterion DVD closet.

Good luck! https://www.criterion.com/sale with promo code: MADFOX"

Queue in song "Cheer Up Charlie" and get sad because none of us will win :<

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This is all an elaborate scheme to figure out what lucky boy or girl gets to inherit Chucky Criterion's Film Factory, isn't it?

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Okay, being responsible and not getting Zatoichi set.

Which three should I get? Unless it's marked I've never seen these:

Thief
Throne of Blood (had the DVD, love the movie)
Kes
Fantastic Mr. Fox (already own the original blu-ray)
Walkabout
The Four Feathers (I love collecting Technicolor movies)
My Life As a Dog
Rosemary's Baby
Jules and Jim

I'll take any suggestions too, especially when it come to Truffaut films.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
When I get the golden ticket I'm going to dive into the river of out of print Criterions at the factory, drat the consequences.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Do you think they crammed those pallets of unreleased Ran blu-rays back into the closet?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jay Dub posted:

Do you think they crammed those pallets of unreleased Ran blu-rays back into the closet?

I know that's what happened with Alien 2: On Earth.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Momotaros posted:

the grand prize: your very own trip via webcam to the Criterion DVD closet.

What a lame grand prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

caiman posted:

What a lame grand prize.

Maybe you still get to pick some like the other guys though? Or else what would be the point.