Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Serious Frolicking posted:

The second was mostly just a vehicle for Shinbo humor, and had jack all to do with the manga. I thought it was actually kind of charming.
Seconding this, it was a lot of fun even if the plot (and some of the characterization, like Asuna's obsession with selling chupacabra goods) had nothing to do with the manga. I never did see the ending, though, because something wonky seemed to happen with the sub distribution I used back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All I really remember about Negima?! was that it was the previous title holder of ending sequence that is both super catchy and super annoying before Witch Craft Works came along to give it a run for its money.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

All I really remember about Negima?! was that it was the previous title holder of ending sequence that is both super catchy and super annoying before Witch Craft Works came along to give it a run for its money.
I can't remember for sure, but if it's anything like the OP there are a billion different versions of it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I tried reading Negima, but I was more put off by Akamatsu's incredibly dense art style with all the plasticky-looking people that he started off with coming from Love Hina (another manga of his I couldn't really read). By the UQ Holder era, it's improved so much, so it's a lot easier to just look at and figure out what's going on.

So, ah, yeah, chalk me up as another dude who came into this not really knowing about all the Negima backstory stuff. :sweatdrop:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The art gets better rather quickly. I remember it being mostly good once we got into volume two. One had something really weird about it.

If you really want to appreciate how far he's come, go read a little of AI Love You. Hard to believe someone can improve so much.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Should really just put a disclaimer in the OP or something for people that are interested in it. Just read Negima from Kyoto on and ignore the fanservice, as it gets better. It never goes away entirely, but the focus is switched from it once you get to the festival arc I think. It really is worth a read if you're at all interested in UQ. Some of those fights later on are pretty outstanding. And it has Jack Rakan!

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Yeah, volume 2-3 is where Akamatsu transitions from Love Hina art style into Negima art style.

The way I see it, the early Negima volumes are really nothing more than a reassurance for the publishers that Akamatsu was writing another Love Hina, and the art--being more of the same--reflects this. However, as the battle manga aspects finally emerge, his style changes to reflect this. It's possible that he planned to draw that way from the start, but wanted to ease people in.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

PerrineClostermann posted:

The art gets better rather quickly. I remember it being mostly good once we got into volume two. One had something really weird about it.

I was never a fan of his art style--it was always way too busy when there was action.

Even UQ Holder has a bit of that sin (yes, we get it, the battle is chaotic), but it seems that he continues to thin it out as time goes by.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

I can't remember for sure, but if it's anything like the OP there are a billion different versions of it.
If the "1000% Sparking" box I found is anything to go on, there are 10 different versions with various combinations of the girls (one of which is everyone all together). Might be the same for the OP.

I also remember there was a joke opening where all of the characters were replaced with their weird magical chibi versions. It was a goofy series.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Nate RFB posted:

If the "1000% Sparking" box I found is anything to go on, there are 10 different versions with various combinations of the girls (one of which is everyone all together). Might be the same for the OP.

I also remember there was a joke opening where all of the characters were replaced with their weird magical chibi versions. It was a goofy series.

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtL57XeEvyI

Clearly this was all a dry run for Shaft's later works :tinfoil:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

buzmeg posted:

I was never a fan of his art style--it was always way too busy when there was action.
The business worked well in crowd scenes, though, like the morning rush to Mahora. Everywhere you look there's something neat going on.

Nate RFB posted:

Each of those versions (aside from the one with everyone) also has an alternate style mix. My favorite is the Eurobeat mix of Kazumi, Sayo, Chao, and Satsuki.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Seriously though, don't skip Negima if only for Jack Rakan. He is the best.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
But Rakan comes in like 200, 250 chapters in. I know this forum has a weird obsession with manservice but come on, Negima is a good series well before Rakan hits the scene. Festival arc alone is worth reading start to finish and Rakan isn't so much as hinted at existing the entire time.

You know what, I'm also gonna say the early chapters aren't that bad, either. They provide a pretty solid foundation for the rest of the series to be built on, introduces you to Negi and the class and the more typical shenanigans they get up to between battles to the death. Not the best part of the series by a long shot, but there are far worse ways to start a manga than a slice of life comdey with magic.

Just read Negima, you're missing out on a great series and a lot of backstory for what's being set up as a conclusion to said series.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 23, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, honestly even the first three volumes are alright. Fanservice aside, episodic exploration of Mahora and characters was a fun part of the series that didn't overstay its welcome (or disappear completely, to be honest). It was quickly blended with action (Eva's fight arc was in Volume 3, and in Volume 2 they had a fight with the headmaster in a golem). Negima's a pretty good series in general, even from relatively early on.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
The Kyoto arc is actually my favorite - we've gotten past the fanservice explicitly for the fanservice, but Negi isn't just a generic invincible shounen hero - the first fight at the gates with Kotarou was clever. As much as ADTRW loves Rakan and manly men, he's pretty boring. Also, character development stopped after Akamatsu decided that Negima would be pure shounen. Something about the early chapters and learning a little about everyone in the class was great and I wish it had continued.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

pinegala posted:

The Kyoto arc is actually my favorite - we've gotten past the fanservice explicitly for the fanservice, but Negi isn't just a generic invincible shounen hero - the first fight at the gates with Kotarou was clever.

It kind of helped that I was a Library Club fanboy for pretty much the entire run.
Here's hoping that Galactic Empress Haruna was successfully interred in her Golden Throne in this timeline :black101:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

pinegala posted:

The Kyoto arc is actually my favorite - we've gotten past the fanservice explicitly for the fanservice, but Negi isn't just a generic invincible shounen hero - the first fight at the gates with Kotarou was clever. As much as ADTRW loves Rakan and manly men, he's pretty boring. Also, character development stopped after Akamatsu decided that Negima would be pure shounen. Something about the early chapters and learning a little about everyone in the class was great and I wish it had continued.

What? Character development didn't stop when it became more shounen. If anything he got better at it as the series went on. Up to the end the characters, including minor side characters, were regularly being paired off with new or different people and put in a variety of new situations, learning new skills. Yue and Chisame off the top of my head were two of the biggest ones.

And the tournament arc had some of the top fights in the series. The only even slightly mediocre one was Eva vs. Setsuna. Negima's tournament arc was that rarest of things in shounen: a tournament arc that was actually worth reading and wasn't blatant filler, but instead developed the characters involved greatly.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which is funny, because I remember when we were scanlating that arc we had nothing but complaints :v

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

chumbler posted:

Yue and Chisame off the top of my head were two of the biggest ones.

You just reminded me of what happened to Chisame in the epilogue and now I'm mad about it all over again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ActionZero posted:

You just reminded me of what happened to Chisame in the epilogue and now I'm mad about it all over again.

She got exactly what she wanted all along, though. Also I like to imagine that the Chisame ending is the true ending. I like to think Akamatsu favored it too, because A) she was a Naru and B) she had probably the best developed relationship with Negi.

And looking at your avatar, the main character from Qualia pretty closely resembles a Negima character in appearance now that I think about it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 24, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

chumbler posted:

She got exactly what she wanted all along, though. Also I like to imagine that the Chisame ending is the true ending. I like to think Akamatsu favored it too, because A) she was a Naru and B) she had probably the best developed relationship with Negi.
I'm sure you can really call becoming a shut-in recluse a reasonable end to her character arc. IIRC she wasn't like that in the "bad" ending either, so somehow Asuna being around screwed things up for her. It was pretty dumb especially how seemingly important she had become in the final few arcs.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

chumbler posted:

I'm talking about the ending where she became a complete shut-in, after all her development pointed to her finding a happy medium and the timeline where Asuna didn't come back had her working as one of Negi's advisers. (Yeah her shut-in ending had her doing that too but the other timeline looked totally different).

Basically Asuna somehow ruined her life.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 24, 2014

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

chumbler posted:

What? Character development didn't stop when it became more shounen. If anything he got better at it as the series went on. Up to the end the characters, including minor side characters, were regularly being paired off with new or different people and put in a variety of new situations, learning new skills. Yue and Chisame off the top of my head were two of the biggest ones.

And the tournament arc had some of the top fights in the series. The only even slightly mediocre one was Eva vs. Setsuna. Negima's tournament arc was that rarest of things in shounen: a tournament arc that was actually worth reading and wasn't blatant filler, but instead developed the characters involved greatly.

I'll admit that the tournament arc was great but everyone that wasn't in the main cast got dropped hard.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Fun fact about the tournament arc: When Akamatsu made the bracket, he put Negi and Al in opposite blocks (so their fight would be the climax), but after that he placed everyone else by lottery. The pairings in the tournament were literally random.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

pinegala posted:

I'll admit that the tournament arc was great but everyone that wasn't in the main cast got dropped hard.
The Negima cast is big. Like, holy poo poo it's a big cast. It's inevitable that Akamatsu would have had to reduce it down to what he felt were the most interesting ones for character development. More time allocated to I don't know the cheerleading squad means less time for Chachamaru, Eva, Nodoka, etc.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

LanceKing2200 posted:

Fun fact about the tournament arc: When Akamatsu made the bracket, he put Negi and Al in opposite blocks (so their fight would be the climax), but after that he placed everyone else by lottery. The pairings in the tournament were literally random.

My favorite part about that how the assistants just sat there dumbstruck as he decided the plot of his manga by random chance.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Rodyle posted:

My favorite part about that how the assistants just sat there dumbstruck as he decided the plot of his manga by random chance.

To be fair, isn't Akamatsu also an old RPG player? Clearly he couldn't pass up the chance for some good ol' dice roll tables.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

LanceKing2200 posted:

I didn't know that, and that's really surprising, since the pairings seemed to have been laid out in the most interesting way possible, almost to the point of feeling too contrived. That makes me respect the dude even more now.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

chumbler posted:

I didn't know that, and that's really surprising, since the pairings seemed to have been laid out in the most interesting way possible, almost to the point of feeling too contrived. That makes me respect the dude even more now.

Seriously. All the fights in the tournament were awesome, and seemed like they were perfect fit for each fighter. I'm very surprised to hear it was actually pretty much random.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember that being in the after notes in the English volumes. Del Rey did a nice job with those.

taishi28012
Aug 9, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

I remember that being in the after notes in the English volumes. Del Rey did a nice job with those.

Dammit, you just reminded me that I have to go buy the last few volumes so I don't feel bad for reading them online.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

The Negima cast is big. Like, holy poo poo it's a big cast. It's inevitable that Akamatsu would have had to reduce it down to what he felt were the most interesting ones for character development. More time allocated to I don't know the cheerleading squad means less time for Chachamaru, Eva, Nodoka, etc.

We saw what happens when one of the completely uninteresting characters gets some focus. (Ako sucks.)

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

We saw what happens when one of the completely uninteresting characters gets some focus. (Ako sucks.)

The thing is I don't think they would have sucked if he didn't transition to full-on shounen so quickly.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, I liked Ako!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

On the other hand, Akira's chapter was great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Akira had 2 or 3 pretty great chapters, as I recall.

Ako's problem was that she was more or less Normal Teenage Girl, and while I have no problem with how her arc played out and think she did develop pretty well by the end, it didn't have quite the same effect as watching Rakan be awesome or Yue's adventures. A side character who is aware of her status as a side character is a bit hard to pull off.

Her power did lead to some funny jokes later, though.

drat it I need to reread Negima now to refresh my memory on a lot of the details.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chumbler posted:

^^^^ Akira had 2 or 3 pretty great chapters, as I recall.
The one that sticks out to me was the one with no talking by anyone.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

On the other hand, Akira's chapter was great.

Akira was probably my favorite of the side-character girls, but her ending just, uh, kind of came out of nowhere for me? It annoyed me almost as much as Chisame's did.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Niel posted:

Akira was probably my favorite of the side-character girls, but her ending just, uh, kind of came out of nowhere for me? It annoyed me almost as much as Chisame's did.
It's hard for me to hold the ending against the earlier parts or the characters, because it was clearly an emergency ending that was cobbled together for legal reasons related to Akamatsu's dispute with his publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Just pretend everything about the ending was never actually written, and that we don't know what happened to anyone.

Because the ending was something he cobbled together in like three weeks, and even he has been stated to not like it.

• Locked thread