Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Ola posted:

I love 50s jets so much. The Hawker Hunter's gun ports do a bottle whistle effect which is known as the "blue note". It is the most futuristic noise known to man and it has inspired all sorts of sci-fi sound designers how to make the movie spaceships sound - I would think that includes the TIE fighter.

~braces for a half a page full of links to the Avro Vulcan howl~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

smackfu posted:

What's the best Skunkworks book?

I powered through Ben Rich's book a couple of weeks ago, it's excellent.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Koesj posted:

I also read 'Skunkworks' a few years back and really liked it.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Koesj posted:

Having talked to a few people who worked there, that's a pretty good book if you assume that any story involving him winning a quarter off of Kelly actually happened to somebody else.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ola posted:

I love 50s jets so much. The Hawker Hunter's gun ports do a bottle whistle effect which is known as the "blue note". It is the most futuristic noise known to man and it has inspired all sorts of sci-fi sound designers how to make the movie spaceships sound - I would think that includes the TIE fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIhTsA4vPj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9tf4zydHGk

Oh man that's cool as hell.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh man that's cool as hell.

Commencing Death Star run.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Dr. Klas posted:

I also read 'Skunkworks' a few years back and really liked it.

I used to live in Palmdale, and passed the Skunkworks every day going to work on Sierra Highway. Every time I went by, I'd see the image of the skunk on the side of the building and my mind would wander to the amazing things they did/do in there. It's like hallowed ground over there.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

At about 0:50 this Starfighter howls like the mating call of a satanic deer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIRwMhRVRY

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nebakenezzer posted:

How did that thing ever manage to fly?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Gravity was scared of it

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hahaha, that's hysterical.

My favorite blue note has to be the Mustang's created by the air intake. It's like the Stuka's siren but unintentional and loving incredible

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

FrozenVent posted:

I refer you to rfc1925.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Speaking of the Starfighter, the Soviets actually considered a similar configuration for the MiG-21 at one point (apologies for poor quality of scan, didn't want to damage book by bending the binding to much).

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

FrozenVent posted:

It's magical what you can do with 15,000 lbs of thrust.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So it's the "MORE POWER!" approach to aeronautical engineering then.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FrozenVent posted:

Tim Allen's tenure at Lockheed Martin was spectacular!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Let's also not forget the magical thing that happened when the wings and tail from a sailplane were bolted on.

sausage paddy
Feb 25, 2009
What are the 'classic' WW2 pilot memoirs?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ardeem posted:

Let's also not forget the magical thing that happened when the wings and tail from a sailplane were bolted on.

Are you referring to the plane with the lovely navigation system that kept accidentally wandering over the USSR?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Spaced God posted:

It's like the Stuka's siren but unintentional and loving incredible
Umm that's the end of "In The Flesh?" by Pink Floyd.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

CharlesM posted:

It's the actual siren, though.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The best animal sounding aircraft is the C-5. It sounds like a dinosaur :colbert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwMFIjMPb0E

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Are you referring to the plane with the lovely navigation system that kept accidentally wandering over the USSR?

That'd be the one.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It took me forever to remember which plane you were talking about, just because I can't think of its fuselage as looking like the F-104's (although I think it actually has some lineage there).

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

If you can find some pictures of some early f104s and U2s the resembalance gets clearer, but the U2s kept getting longer and longer and the 104s rounder.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sausage paddy posted:

What are the 'classic' WW2 pilot memoirs?

I haven't read them all, but I am a big fan of Pierre Clostermann's The Big Show.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Show-Greatest-Military-Paperbacks/dp/0304366242/ref=la_B001IQZCL2_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393148172&sr=1-1

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It's not entirely WW2, but Ernest Gann's Fate Is the Hunter is probably one of the best flying related books ever written. It covers his career from flying for American Airlines in DC-2's and DC-3's, to flying transports over The Hump during WW2, as well as flying for various upstart airlines after the war.

Samurai! by Saburō Sakai is also well worth reading. It chronicles his time as a pilot with the Japanese Navy during WW2, and since he was one of the few Japanese aces to survive the entire war (despite flying in combat basically blind in one eye from 1944 onwards), it's a really fascinating story.

Chuck Yeager's autobiography is decent, but he comes across as a pompus rear end in a top hat in the book, and since some of the stories therein have been contradicted by other people who were involved, it should be taken with quite a large grain of salt.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

azflyboy posted:

Chuck Yeager's autobiography is decent, but he comes across as a pompus rear end in a top hat in the book

Sounds like he stayed true to writing an accurate autobiography, then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Also being a pilot.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ardeem posted:

Having talked to a few people who worked there, that's a pretty good book if you assume that any story involving him winning a quarter off of Kelly actually happened to somebody else.

Yeah, a few chapters in, and it's definitely a book where he's retelling the same stories he's been using for years in private, which may or may not be totally true. But they certainly are entertaining.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

azflyboy posted:

It's not entirely WW2, but Ernest Gann's Fate Is the Hunter is probably one of the best flying related books ever written. It covers his career from flying for American Airlines in DC-2's and DC-3's, to flying transports over The Hump during WW2, as well as flying for various upstart airlines after the war.

This is absolutely one of my favorite books and I'm pretty sure I first heard about it either in this thread or the ask/tell pilot thread a few years ago. I just finished reading it again a week or two ago.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ardeem posted:

If you can find some pictures of some early f104s and U2s the resembalance gets clearer, but the U2s kept getting longer and longer and the 104s rounder.

The earliest concepts for the U-2 still had the Starfighter's T-tail.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The recently declassified CIA U-2 / OXCART (A-12) history touches on F-104 / U-2 crossover several times. Page 45 states that only the wings and tail were unique to the U-2, and the rest of the aircraft was made with F-104 tooling.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CharlesM posted:

It's the sound every airplane makes in every movie when it's diving even though there's no flying airplane in the world that makes that sound.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Wilhelm Scream or red-tailed hawk cry of airplanes.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

azflyboy posted:

Samurai! by Saburō Sakai is also well worth reading. It chronicles his time as a pilot with the Japanese Navy during WW2, and since he was one of the few Japanese aces to survive the entire war (despite flying in combat basically blind in one eye from 1944 onwards), it's a really fascinating story.
I'll add another vote for Samurai!, and also recommend Tale of A Guinea Pig by Geoffrey Page, The Last Enemy by Richard Hillary and Thunderbolt! by Robert S. Johnson.

E: Either the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum jumped the gun for April Fools Day by 6 weeks, or you Brits are in for a special treat:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/canada-s-lancaster-bomber-to-cross-atlantic-for-u-k-tour-1.2546757

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 25, 2014

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Anybody read Viper Pilot? I bought it last night because it was on sale for 3 bucks and had pretty good reviews. The first chapter seems decent enough, though all the initial training stuff is mainly interesting to see the contrast to Navy flight training.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Is it the novelization of this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335GdTqtyLs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/holy-crap-seeing-world-war-ii-air-combat-footage-in-co-1530207745