Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm guessing either alcohol or road rage contributed to that decision being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I dunno, street parking in a busy downtown area is a zero-sum game and it only takes a few loops around the block to say "gently caress it" and find the closest thing to a space that your car will fit into. In NYC I'm more surprised at the fact that people have such nice cars at all when they know the kind of road conditions they're going to face. When you drive a beater in Manhattan you get to do poo poo like that all the time and feel like a winner.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My grandma's boyfriend left his mid 90s xj6 parked on the street in the lower east side for several years, and then asked me if I wanted to drive it back to Connecticut for him (the answer was hell no, gently caress driving in NYC)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rscott posted:

My grandma's boyfriend left his mid 90s xj6 parked on the street in the lower east side for several years, and then asked me if I wanted to drive it back to Connecticut for him (the answer was hell no, gently caress driving in NYC)

Wife and I road tripped to NYC a few years back, I didn't think driving in the city was too bad. Obviously it was congested but everything more or less worked. Once I made it clear where I wanted to be, people let me get there without fuss. Likewise when someone needed to get in front of me I let them in. Fairly simple rules that put some measure of order into the chaos.

Contrast to Chicago driving where the rule of the road is "gently caress you, got mine" I found it much less stressful.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Fucknag posted:

From my Facebook feed (this is in NYC):

Just take a taxi if you're that hard up for parking, poo poo.

Is that a strip of tire tread across his rear bumper?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Probably one of those bumper protectors... which makes it all the more stupid because who the hell is going to park behind him?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Probably one of those bumper protectors... which makes it all the more stupid because who the hell is going to park behind him?

You called?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Is that a strip of tire tread across his rear bumper?

Think it's a bumper protector, people use them in cities to defend against people who park by contact. Though I'm not sure why anyone would attach it when they're sitting on a snow berm.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

You called?

Right after I posted that I thought "drat, I should have said something about how it's not like Kastein lives in NYC".

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I had some fun winter parking my Jetta in Boston with studded tires. Getting the back wheels onto a big pile of snow/ice, pulling the handbrake, and then swinging the front of the car over to match is a neat trick.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Some people just leave them on all the time if they live in the city. And again, a lot of them are the ones with really expensive cars. It really brings the whole look down. It's a bummer. :smith:

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
I think anyone who lives in a reasonably built-up area that gets a lot of winter has at least a few "gently caress this, I'm going here anyway" moments every year. When it's lovely and freezing and my options for work parking are either at the faaar back of the lot or parallel parking on the street out front in a snow drift, I know which one I'm picking.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ror posted:

Some people just leave them on all the time if they live in the city. And again, a lot of them are the ones with really expensive cars. It really brings the whole look down. It's a bummer. :smith:

I'd have thought that would just end up trapping dirt and grit and causing paint damage anyway

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

dissss posted:

I'd have thought that would just end up trapping dirt and grit and causing paint damage anyway

Exactly what car bras do to cars. I've seen some ruined front ends from them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

Exactly what car bras do to cars. I've seen some ruined front ends from them.

I saw a great one where the dealer installed car bra was held in place with a wood screw that was drilled into the exterior of the bumper cover on each side. Underneath the car bra was nothing but decades of pine needles and poplar fluff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ror posted:

And my question here which also applies to car bras and seat covers (over non nasty seats) is: WHO ARE YOU SAVING IT FOR? If you can't afford it don't buy it, because your sorry attempts at making it nice for the next owner surely aren't going to make up the difference.

But to be honest, I'm the same kinda of guy who doesn't understand 99.9% of trailer queens.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ror posted:

Didn't know Bentlys liked to lift.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.
How to take for parks with your tiny ford.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

PT6A posted:

Braking because you've hit ice? That's not a very good idea at all.

I wouldn't dare but just about every other driver on the road seems to stab that brake when something goes pear shaped no matter what it is. On the 401 in Canada in the winter if you see brake lights you start braking as well if its safe because odds are some poo poo is going down. If you see brake lights start to merge together into one brake light then holy poo poo someone is sideways.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FogHelmut posted:

One time I tried to use my left foot to brake, but I pressed it like it was the clutch.

As a young Brit, the first time I drove in the US was also the first time I had driven an automatic.

Within 1 mile of the rental place, I got confused by a turn (the lane was on the wrong side of the road) and braked hard.

This reflexively included applying the clutch.

Which was actually the foot-pedal for the parking brake.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've... done the same thing. More than once.

I've never driven outside of the US, and I've driven plenty of automatics. But I've been driving manual forever; the other 2 cars in the house are automatics with foot-operated parking brakes. :downsgun:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Motronic posted:

And my question here which also applies to car bras and seat covers (over non nasty seats) is: WHO ARE YOU SAVING IT FOR? If you can't afford it don't buy it, because your sorry attempts at making it nice for the next owner surely aren't going to make up the difference.

In NYC when you park by Braille using those bumper protectors it doesn't leave your paint / your license plate stuck to their car as evidence.

Driving in NYC isn't so bad; it's more a factor of the roads falling apart than the traffic, but that's par for any old big city. The parking situation varies between boroughs but it's a safe assumption your car is going to get at least scratched up parked on the street. Mine's got rash on the bumper corner and I've only left it on the street like three times. My sister's car got T-boned and nearly totalled by some sort of big truck while parked, and of course there were no witnesses, no security cam footage and shockingly the NYPD was uninterested in followup.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The braille method is pretty much how people park around here and I've never had any paint transfer onto my car - just a bunch of cracked paint and damage on the front bumper from tow bars. You'd have to hit quite hard bumper to bumper to do any significant damage (assuming both cars have plastic bumpers at roughly compatible heights)

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
FWIW, in the MRAPs I drove in Afghanistan the curve of the hull required that you either hold your left foot in the air the whole time you were driving, or rest it on the brake pedal. There was no space to rest it, so everyone got pretty good at left foot braking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

As a young Brit, the first time I drove in the US was also the first time I had driven an automatic.

Within 1 mile of the rental place, I got confused by a turn (the lane was on the wrong side of the road) and braked hard.

This reflexively included applying the clutch.

Which was actually the foot-pedal for the parking brake.

All my cars are manual, but my work car until recently was a prius. I went on a road trip for a week and a half. Got in my work car, got on the freeway, got of, braked, and then clutched in. The prius brake pedal is wide and is about when my clutch pedal on my legacy was. I'm lucky no one was behind me. I was unlucky I had 3 people in the car with me. Took me a long time to live down.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why is the brake pedal on an auto different from on a manual? Why isn't there just nothing (or perhaps a dead pedal) where the clutch would go? It's not like you need the brake pedal to be twice as wide, and indeed it only motivates poor driving habits in 95% of cases.

I've definitely made the same mistake a few times, and I've been known to reach for the phantom gearshift too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PT6A posted:

Why is the brake pedal on an auto different from on a manual? Why isn't there just nothing (or perhaps a dead pedal) where the clutch would go? It's not like you need the brake pedal to be twice as wide, and indeed it only motivates poor driving habits in 95% of cases.

I've definitely made the same mistake a few times, and I've been known to reach for the phantom gearshift too.

I believe the usual rationale is that, in a panic stop situation, you can use both feet to apply maximum stopping force; whereas in a manual car you'd be hitting the clutch in such a situation. I imagine it's a holdover from before power brakes, since with them you can easily lock the wheels on most cars with just one foot (ABS notwithstanding), but there it is.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PT6A posted:

Not sure, but here's a 1966 Pontiac manual,

...and automatic:

Design thing. The two-foot panic thing is as good a reason as any.

VVV Leg strength is a thing during a panic stop. I bent one of those pedals in half while hitting a car head-on that left-turned me. Didn't stop soon enough...but then again, nothing could have.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 23, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How much could foot pressure really help anyways? Even drum brakes were perfectly capable of locking up all four wheels without going Hercules on the pedal, especially on the lovely tires they ran back then. Once you're leaving black marks more pressure does diddly.

(My theory is car makers just wanted to fill the gap from the missing clutch pedal with something shiny)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Ror posted:

I dunno, street parking in a busy downtown area is a zero-sum game and it only takes a few loops around the block to say "gently caress it" and find the closest thing to a space that your car will fit into. In NYC I'm more surprised at the fact that people have such nice cars at all when they know the kind of road conditions they're going to face. When you drive a beater in Manhattan you get to do poo poo like that all the time and feel like a winner.

London is the same way, only in Westminster etc you see a lot more nice cars that are just beat to poo poo. It's really kind of depressing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PT6A posted:

So you can spool your turbo against the torque converter easier. ;)

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 23, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Every. Single. Goddamned time I drive :siren:my fiancee's:siren: Explorer, I stupidly hold the brake pedal down like a clutch pedal when starting it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Geirskogul posted:

Every. Single. Goddamned time I drive :siren:my fiancee's:siren: Explorer, I stupidly hold the brake pedal down like a clutch pedal when starting it.

Some vehicles make you do that in order to start them. :confused:

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

West SAAB Story posted:

All vehicles with push button ignitions do as well.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

West SAAB Story posted:

I've never driven a pushbutton car, so the most I've had to do is hit the brake pedal to get them out of gear.

Anyway, the point was they're probably not counting on me doing it with a ton of force with my left foot.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Fucknag posted:

From my Facebook feed (this is in NYC):

Just take a taxi if you're that hard up for parking, poo poo.

And no one says poo poo about the Sierra in the background because that's a truck and ground clearance and poo poo.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Everyday Lurker posted:

And no one says poo poo about the Sierra in the background because that's a truck and ground clearance and poo poo.

The truck looks like it at has at least two tires making contact with the pavement.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Everyday Lurker posted:

You answered your own question, it's a loving truck. It shouldn't even need a plowed spot.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

I think every car has made you do that for quite some time. For awhile in the 80s Dodge put the "apply brake to shift from park" sticker on the Caravans and then didn't bother actually implementing the interlock which led to some horrific news stories when Little Jimmy got left alone in the van and, lacking Facebook and Candy Crush, experimented with the column shift lever.

Audi did the same, and only added the sticker after their unintended acceleration debacle.

What's the German equivalent of Engrish? This label qualifies.

I assume at some point actually doing the interlock became federal law.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Geirskogul posted:

At least you don't try to clutch in while driving automatic rental cars making the car jerk around like I do sometimes :downs: