Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Also, even if I didn't like the Roosters I still hate Wigan and was happy to see them beaten.

That being said, the top SL teams are legit good, the league just doesn't have the depth of NRL because it's not as popular in England as Union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

Considering how many random jerseys the Warriors have nowadays, do they even have team colours any more?

Our home/road jerseys are clearly defined, but we've always used some vomit style training jersey for preseason, and this year we're wearing blue jerseys at Eden Park, which included the 9s.

Tomkins is looking useful outside Johnson. I certainly hope our centre pairing improves on Ropati/Tuimavave before next weekend.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Jono C posted:

Our home/road jerseys are clearly defined, but we've always used some vomit style training jersey for preseason, and this year we're wearing blue jerseys at Eden Park, which included the 9s.

Tomkins is looking useful outside Johnson. I certainly hope our centre pairing improves on Ropati/Tuimavave before next weekend.

I lost count after eight jerseys of various types http://www.canterburyofnz.com/teams/rugby-league/vodafone-warriors/warriors-jerseys.html

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I don't really care what jersey we wear if we beat Brisbane 48-4.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Two of those were training jerseys, two were U20s and there were two different heritage jerseys. We could do without the alternative home ground jerseys.

Smorgasbord posted:

I don't really care what jersey we wear if we beat Brisbane 48-4.

gently caress we looked good. The Broncos struggled without playmakers, and just got run off their feet on defence. Barba and Hodges being missing meant a lot, but those two aren't worth 44 points.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The Broncos clearly thought the Raiders would release Milford a year early and they cleared the deck on the expectation he would be there this year.

Could be a tough season for them.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Two of those were training jerseys, two were U20s and there were two different heritage jerseys. We could do without the alternative home ground jerseys.

gently caress we looked good. The Broncos struggled without playmakers, and just got run off their feet on defence. Barba and Hodges being missing meant a lot, but those two aren't worth 44 points.

Considering the training jerseys have matching gameday shorts, they're pretty clearly designed as more alternative jerseys. As such I'd be interested in keeping track of how often this year they wear each combination. That said, some of those are awesome designs and I wish other teams had some creativity.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Apollodorus posted:

Also, even if I didn't like the Roosters I still hate Wigan and was happy to see them beaten.

That being said, the top SL teams are legit good, the league just doesn't have the depth of NRL because it's not as popular in England as Union.

True, but perhaps you need to do some creative thinking to even up and make every match a tough contest for all sides - Gould does make a good point where there does seem to be more "easy" matches for the top sides in SL than in the NRL.

Be buggered if I know what could be done though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MiniSune posted:

True, but perhaps you need to do some creative thinking to even up and make every match a tough contest for all sides - Gould does make a good point where there does seem to be more "easy" matches for the top sides in SL than in the NRL.

Be buggered if I know what could be done though.

NFL-style profit-sharing?

(Yes, I know, "what profits?")

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Apollodorus posted:

NFL-style profit-sharing?

(Yes, I know, "what profits?")

Possibly, but I suspect if there was a surefire answer it'd already be implemented.

Maybe poorer teams get a larger cap, or if funds are poor, more succesful teams get a cap penalty and have to release players to other teams (without fiscal penalty to the player or the receiving club). Perhaps the succesful club could get some other fiscal benefit to offset, this protecting the more succesful clubs bottom lines.

Again, not offering any rock solid solutions here, just throwing things against the wall.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Super League clubs already share finances with those below them, right down to grass roots. I'm not sure of the details but money is definitely sent from top to bottom.

The competition is changing next year, to try and help address the issues we all know are there wrt lack of competition for the so-called big teams. Two teams are relegated from super league this season, and nobody is getting promoted, so there will be two divisions of 12. Towards the end of next season, those two divisions will split into three divisions of 8 (top 8 SL, bottom 4 SL/top4 Championship, bottom 8 championship). I'm not really sure that it will help matters but I'm looking forward to it regardless.

From there it gets more complicated than I can be arsed to explain with points and poo poo but I'll do it when the time comes, if there's a need for it.

What clubs really need to do, if they have the ambition to improve, is simple; go to Huddersfield and Warrington and ask them how they went from nobodies to possible contenders. I mean, they both bottle it every year (wolves especially), but they might win it one day, maybe. Heh.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mullen out for 3 to 4 months :(

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Can you pay out on our bet already please?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Haha nah

Boyd might be an awesome 6 and we will win all our games

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm more interested in Dane Gagai's new-found Supercoach relevance (and at fullback, no less) since he won't have awful-prior-fullback-Boyd favouring the other side of the field.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What if Aku is fullback :getin:

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

$20 says Gagai is fullback, not Uate.

Bet cancelled if neither plays fullback.

Deal?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nope. Aku is highly unlikely to play fullback, even though he played there In the trial for 10 minutes

bowmore fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 24, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Do you think so little of me Mills to even consider that bet?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Your posting is non-sensical. :shrug:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah having to post at work is making me spell no good

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm saying it's non-sensical because you made some post about Aku playing fullback then say he won't play fullback when asked about it. :shrug:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Gagai is definitely going to be at fullback. I barely know anything about this sport but that is like 99% for me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mills posted:

I'm saying it's non-sensical because you made some post about Aku playing fullback then say he won't play fullback when asked about it. :shrug:
Because I like the thought of it, he would be a beast, but it's not realistic

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Didn't get to see all that much of the Warriors last season (I get Sky so I can watch Liverpool play but seeing as those useless cunts managed to lose the rights I didn't bother keeping up my subscription) but I think I'll try get to a few games this time around as the new missus is a fan.

Pretty excited about our chances but I'm pretty sure I feel that way every pre season. From the little I've seen Tomkins might just live up to his reputation and Johnson looks to be in some pretty serious form. Anyone else stood out so far?

Hahahaha also what the gently caress Raiders...why would you give Ricky Stuart a job?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

Hahahaha also what the gently caress Raiders...why would you give Ricky Stuart a job?
One of many times this question has been asked over the years in one form or another, always with no sensible answer.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

they must've lost a bet

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Pretty excited about our chances but I'm pretty sure I feel that way every pre season. From the little I've seen Tomkins might just live up to his reputation and Johnson looks to be in some pretty serious form. Anyone else stood out so far?

Pretty much the whole squad is looking good so far, I'm predicting an unbeaten season culminating in grand final wins across all 3 grades.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
That's the worst thing about beating the Broncos so soundly yesterday, I've got raised expectations now.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!
Preseason, where lesser teams get their seasons satisfaction. :allears:

Despite their hygiene problems and bestiality, I quite like the Raiders and feel they did nothing to deserve Ricky loving Stuart.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Pretty much the whole squad is looking good so far, I'm predicting an unbeaten season culminating in grand final wins across all 3 grades.

I'm still concerned about our centres. I'm pretty sure Hurrell showed up out of shape and still can't tackle. I assume Nielsen is hurt, and he doesn't offer much on attack. Ropati should have been sent to the glue factory about three years ago. Ben Henry could be an option if they decide there are enough back rowers. Laumape is another interesting option, but he faded quite badly last year.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I just want the season to start. Super League, among the top 4-5 clubs anyway, is plenty enjoyable but they only show 2-3 matches per week. One of my friends is looking for something to watch now that NCAA-BCS and NFL are over and he is not sold on rugby union (because it is a complicated game for nerds like me) so I think only NRL will provide him the hot man-on-man violence he craves.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I don't think anyone expects much of Stuart. Realistically though the Raiders were in a complete mess. They lost two of the clubs best players (arguably the best players) in the space of a year and also lost the clubs most talented junior. There was rumours of a mass exodus with Wighton drunk posting on his facebook that he couldn't wait to leave the club (he claimed he was hacked) and a bunch of other players it was rumoured were leaving.

Since Stuart has come in Wighton has re-signed, so have the Lee's, as well as a few up and coming juniors like Ahearn.

What the Raiders need is a coach to come in and kick out as much deadwood as possible. There are a lot of lovely players in key positions at the Canberra Raiders. There will also need to be some tough decisions made on the plodding forward pack and Campo if he has a bad year. Furner would never have made those calls.

Lastly Stuart at least understands the theory behind the modern game. He might not be a good coach but he will attempt to have the Raiders win a ruck, he will attempt to have the Raiders forwards run between players to get a quick play the ball these are all things that Furner struggled with.

Stuart has shown he is pretty horrible long term and what he did to Parramatta (clean the place out and then run off) was pretty low but his job this year is more about getting the roster into a position where they can compete in 2015. That means bringing through Milfords replacement (hopefully Ahearn is up for it), rebalancing the forward pack and working out whats going on in the halves/hooker. He has already seemingly made some calls there with Campo being given the 7 and Wighton probably the 6 with the hope of bringing through Cornish this year.

But it cannot be stressed how bad the Raiders were being run off the field (the Rugby League side. The club is very wealthy) and how much of any success on the field was because a player would do something good not the team. Don't get me wrong I have some big worries about Stuart. He has been real bad at bringing halfbacks through and the Raiders are in a situation where he is clearly building a future half combo of Wighton and Cornish so that is two young playmakers he can ruin Sticky style. He is also a petulant baby with a weird fetish for backrowers but so long as the club is prepared to fire him if things go to hell in a couple of years I think a coach like Stuart can do some good.

EDIT

In short success or failure in 2014 is about how far down the depth chart McCrone and Buttriss have been pushed by the final round.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 24, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Super League news: Bradford have been deducted six points for entering administration again. Heh.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Super League news: Bradford have been deducted six points for entering administration again. Heh.

And that has lead to their prospective new owners withdrawing their bid. Bradford might actually be hosed this time. Which is bad, because no one wants to see them go under (even if they are from Yorkshire), but good because it means there might be a Super League spot up for grabs (we be-leigh-ve!).

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

can we get an asada ban pool going?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

If there's a god it'll be Anasta and Blair.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

If there's a god it'll be Anasta and Blair.

Your god is kind of cool. I hope he takes Jerome Ropati with them, I have this nagging feeling Elliot is going out of his way to find a place for him in our squad.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Your god is kind of cool. I hope he takes Jerome Ropati with them, I have this nagging feeling Elliot is going out of his way to find a place for him in our squad.

Gotta get that veteran presence in there missing tackles, fumbling try scoring chances and generally costing us games. His shitness literally cost us at least one game last season and he only played in about 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2119442/dragons-players-investigated-over-violent-fight/?cs=298

quote:

A number of St George Illawarra players are being investigated by police over an alleged violent incident in Wollongong.

Police on Friday confirmed they were investigating an incident involving players which allegedly occurred at the Hotel Illawarra on Keira Street about 10.30pm on Thursday night.

A whole day after the official season launch.

• Locked thread