Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey guys, first time in this subforum, not much of a tech-knowledgable guy.

I'm thinkin' of getting an ipad, the primary purpose of which would be to read books and comics. Because of the comics thing, I'd like the bigger-sized screen, and I don't want to spend a huge amount, so I'm looking at the ipad 2 which I could get from best buy for $300. Does this sounds reasonable, or is there a different model I should be going for/something I'm overlooking? I know the ipad 2 is being discontinued soon so I'm not sure if it's got some crippling problem I don't know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

1st AD posted:

In that case, I guess a Nexus 7 LTE? Sharp screen, plenty fast for chess.

Nah, way too pricy. The price range I'm looking for is sub 100 USD. But whatever, I'll just get a cheapo discount supermarket tablet when they're back.

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 20, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I know the ipad 2 is being discontinued soon so I'm not sure if it's got some crippling problem I don't know about.

It will be discontinued some day, but any rumors are just rumors.

It's crippling problem is being 3 generations old, slow and sporting an unimpressive screen resolution.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you're going to read comics don't get the 2. Get something with a Retina display.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey guys, first time in this subforum, not much of a tech-knowledgable guy.

I'm thinkin' of getting an ipad, the primary purpose of which would be to read books and comics. Because of the comics thing, I'd like the bigger-sized screen, and I don't want to spend a huge amount, so I'm looking at the ipad 2 which I could get from best buy for $300. Does this sounds reasonable, or is there a different model I should be going for/something I'm overlooking? I know the ipad 2 is being discontinued soon so I'm not sure if it's got some crippling problem I don't know about.
In tech terms, it is ancient at this point. I wouldn't get anything older than a 4th gen iPad at this point. MacMall has them for $390. The display alone is worth the additional $90, never mind it being more powerful in every regard. (They're Sprint models, but if you were just getting a wifi-only one, it's not a big deal to just turn off cellular and not worry about it.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bung Harmer posted:

If you're going to read comics don't get the 2. Get something with a Retina display.

I actually was just scanning around a bit more and found a refurbed 3rd gen with the retina display for about $350. You think this would be a smarter bet?

Endless Mike posted:

In tech terms, it is ancient at this point. I wouldn't get anything older than a 4th gen iPad at this point. MacMall has them for $390. The display alone is worth the additional $90, never mind it being more powerful in every regard. (They're Sprint models, but if you were just getting a wifi-only one, it's not a big deal to just turn off cellular and not worry about it.)

Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming this macmall site is legit (as you can tell I know jack poo poo about this stuff)?

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 20, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming this macmall site is legit (as you can tell I know jack poo poo about this stuff)?
MacMall has been around forever and is super legit. I would still spend the extra $40 over a refurb iPad 3.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

midnightclimax posted:

Nah, way too pricy. The price range I'm looking for is sub 100 USD. But whatever, I'll just get a cheapo discount supermarket tablet when they're back.

I don't think there's any tablets that can take a SIM at that price, period, unless you're looking at several years old models.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for the tips guys, very helpful!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also note than a Sprint iPad 4 will work on AT&T and T-Mobile 3G and *should* work on Verizon 3G and LTE, though it might take some effort to get a working SIM card for it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I mean honestly I'm probably just gonna turn cellular off, I'm only really interested in it as a book/comic reading tool.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I mean honestly I'm probably just gonna turn cellular off, I'm only really interested in it as a book/comic reading tool.

If you're looking to save money, why not just get a wifi iPad and pair with whatever cellphone you have? In Canada, on Telus at least, I just pair my wifi iPad mini to my iPhone if the wifi is lovely.

That said, going by the number of apps trying to sneak into the App store with hidden tethering abilities, I suspect free tethering isn't a "US" thing.

Also, don't underestimate the Retina Mini's. I have an OG mini, but I strongly suspect the Retina Mini's would be excellent for comic books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snuffman posted:

If you're looking to save money, why not just get a wifi iPad and pair with whatever cellphone you have? In Canada, on Telus at least, I just pair my wifi iPad mini to my iPhone if the wifi is lovely.

That said, going by the number of apps trying to sneak into the App store with hidden tethering abilities, I suspect free tethering isn't a "US" thing.

Also, don't underestimate the Retina Mini's. I have an OG mini, but I strongly suspect the Retina Mini's would be excellent for comic books.
It's because the $390 iPad 4 I linked to is only available in Sprint models. If there was a cheaper wifi-only model, I'd have definitely recommended that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tenasscity posted:

Not going to happen, would rather do 30 minutes of cardio a day than nothing.

Gym buddies and pushing self can come after I'm comfortable walking long distances.

I understand you are trying to help, but this is what I need right now.

You honestly don't need a tablet to ride on an exercise bike. Get a standalone MP3 player or some wireless headphones you can hook up to your TV. It should be something passive you can take in while focusing on pedaling. If you get something like a tablet, you'll prioritize winning some game over doing the work.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
My friend asked me recently what the best 10" tablet for him to buy is. He has a Nexus 5 and was understandably leaning in the Android direction since he's already got a bunch of Android apps for his phone.

I'm more of an iOS guy myself so I haven't taken a really close look at Android tablets. I know that if you want a 7" tablet it's hard to beat the Nexus 7, but (correct me if I'm wrong) it seems like the Nexus 10 has been treated as kind of an afterthought lately.

Is there a go to recommendation for a 10" Android tablet? Otherwise I would probably just recommend he get an iPad Air.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snuffman posted:

Yeah my girlfriend has one of the retina minis. It's nice, I'd just prefer something a little bigger.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

I've read that getting an iPad 3 is almost worse than getting an iPad 2, since the 3 added the retina screen but no extra computing power to drive it. Is this the case?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The iPad 3 has twice as many graphics cores as the iPad 2 and a memory interface that's twice the size specifically for the retina display, so no, that's false. I would say that getting an iPad 2 or 3 at this point would be a bad call, they're pretty old at this point. The iPad 4 is still very capable though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DarkJC posted:

The iPad 3 has twice as many graphics cores as the iPad 2 and a memory interface that's twice the size specifically for the retina display, so no, that's false. I would say that getting an iPad 2 or 3 at this point would be a bad call, they're pretty old at this point. The iPad 4 is still very capable though.

The 3 does have more GPU and ram than the 2, but I've owned both, and its definitely slower at times. 4x the pixels is so much more work.

iPad 4 should be the minimum sold now IMO.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aight I'm gonna reveal what a dumbass I am just one more time:

On MacMall, it's requiring me to provide a company name with my billing information and not letting me order without one. Is this something I need to order through my job or some poo poo? I'm just ordering it for myself.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Aight I'm gonna reveal what a dumbass I am just one more time:

On MacMall, it's requiring me to provide a company name with my billing information and not letting me order without one. Is this something I need to order through my job or some poo poo? I'm just ordering it for myself.

Just order over the phone. It's painless.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Thanks for the tip, although after all that once I finally tried to order it over the phone they said they're all out of stock :( Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

Or do what I did and spend two or three years creating a fake business (including a facebook and foursquare page) at my home address that does something esoteric like "internet multimedia design and implementation" so you can order things from places that require a business name. I've been up just long enough to be put on those yellow-pages-esque robot-filled websites that a cursory googling makes it seem like I'm legit.

It's painless a huge pain in the rear end.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
OK, I bought a refurbished Vivotab Smart MC400 in September and really, really loved it, but it crashed and burned big time and the screen is totally fried. I would like another tablet, because that one was awesome.

I want:

Windows 8 (unless someone can really sell me -- I want office, that's most of what I use it for)
Keyboard
Good Battery Life

Can be one of those foldy fake tablets, that's fine, I don't care, but I need it to be less than ~$500. I know, but I wasn't expecting to have to buy two in a year. :(

It looks like the ASUS Transformer T100 is a great choice but it seems to be out of stock everywhere and I'm a little gunshy about buying from the Amazon affiliates because that's where I got this crashy, broken Vivotab. There are two Yogas -- the 11S is honestly too pricey but there's a cheaper one, is it garbage?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

InEscape posted:

OK, I bought a refurbished Vivotab Smart MC400 in September and really, really loved it, but it crashed and burned big time and the screen is totally fried. I would like another tablet, because that one was awesome.

I want:

Windows 8 (unless someone can really sell me -- I want office, that's most of what I use it for)
Keyboard
Good Battery Life

Can be one of those foldy fake tablets, that's fine, I don't care, but I need it to be less than ~$500. I know, but I wasn't expecting to have to buy two in a year. :(

It looks like the ASUS Transformer T100 is a great choice but it seems to be out of stock everywhere and I'm a little gunshy about buying from the Amazon affiliates because that's where I got this crashy, broken Vivotab. There are two Yogas -- the 11S is honestly too pricey but there's a cheaper one, is it garbage?

I guess that style works for you, I would look through a bunch of websites like woot, because I'm sure there are a lot of clearance specials.m

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

InEscape posted:

I want:

Keyboard
Good Battery Life

If literally all you wanted was Office you can get a surface 2. The hardware is great but as you can't install non-Metro apps you'll probably find it limited. Plus Office is included in the price

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

InEscape posted:

I want:

Keyboard
Good Battery Life

Lenovo has the Miix 2 10, which has a 1080p screen and keyboard dock for exactly $499.99. Seems to be out of stock at the moment on their website, however.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Hey dudes, I've been thinking of getting some kind of tablet lately but I don't really know anything about them.

I was hoping someone could recommend one that is new-ish (I don't really care about it being high end at all but I don't want one that can't run current stuff if that is even a thing on tablets) and would work well just for browsing the internet while on the couch and playing the occasional time waster game. It doesn't have to be Mega Cheap but I definitely would prefer something that is on the cheaper end while still being solid and having a decent sized screen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
iPad Mini w/ Retina.

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

Bruc posted:

Hey dudes, I've been thinking of getting some kind of tablet lately but I don't really know anything about them.

I was hoping someone could recommend one that is new-ish (I don't really care about it being high end at all but I don't want one that can't run current stuff if that is even a thing on tablets) and would work well just for browsing the internet while on the couch and playing the occasional time waster game. It doesn't have to be Mega Cheap but I definitely would prefer something that is on the cheaper end while still being solid and having a decent sized screen.

On the Windows 8 side you can grab a Dell Venue Pro 8 for $229.99 from the Microsoft Store or their website. Great bang for your buck and versatility. In Android world there's the Nexus 7 which starts at $229.99, but can often be found on sale.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I think I will pick up a nexus 7, thanks. Is there much difference between OS's though? I see some for 160 and the 4.1 OS and others that are the 4.3 OS cost about 230.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The newer Nexus 7 has a higher resolution display and much better hardware.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Cool, going to pick one up tomorrow then, thanks for the help guys.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My fiance bought a Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 last night online at a discount price of 249 euros. But then I started googling around and I read almost only negative comments and reviews of the tablet so we decided to cancel the order.

After some googling the Galaxy Note 8.0 is looking to be a much sharper contender, a little smaller & more expensive but everyone seems to think it's more value for money. Are there any other tablets in this price range that anyone would recommend over the Galaxy Note 8.0?

How's the iPad mini 7.9? There's a 64gb version for about the same price as the Note 8.0 (289 euros).

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 3, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Are you talking the old one or the new Retina one?

The new one is fantastic, I wouldn't recommend the old one at all.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's the old one. The retina is too expensive for our budget.

So in that price range it looks like the Galaxy Note 8.0 is the only realistic tablet so far. I see a lot of nexus mentioned in this thread. There's a Google Nexus 7 for 269 euros.

e: The more I read, the more the Nexus 7 (2013) looks like the pad to get, found it for 249 now too.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 3, 2014

n4lrah
Jan 2, 2014

Herping ur derp
Shell out the extra for an ipad air, just got one and dayum, it's perfect. Used to be a hater and never owned an ipad before but I, converted now.

Don't bite on the extra cover stuff though that's insanely expensive.

n4lrah fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 3, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's the old one. The retina is too expensive for our budget.

So in that price range it looks like the Galaxy Note 8.0 is the only realistic tablet so far. I see a lot of nexus mentioned in this thread. There's a Google Nexus 7 for 269 euros.

e: The more I read, the more the Nexus 7 (2013) looks like the pad to get, found it for 249 now too.

If you want an android tablet of that size Nexus 7 2013 is the only one I'd recommend.
Don't buy any non-retina iPad at this point, they're old and slow, and will be left behind next year.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

iPads are off the table due to price but we're not married to any particular system, be it iOS, Android or Windows. Just what's the best pad for the money, and 300 euros is the upper range.

It's my fiance who is buying the pad and she would like a 10" screen tablet I believe, not sure if there's a decent alternative in the price range I've mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
My friend is looking at the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" which seems like it has drat good specs but it drives me up the wall that it doesn't have removable storage. Are there any other reasons I should tell him to hold his money? (He doesn't seem to mind that he can't add storage to it)