Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're one of the blandest and most derivative bands in extreme metal yet are somehow one of the most popular.

You have anything in the same vein that I can give a try? I'll listen to anything once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're one of the blandest and most derivative bands in extreme metal yet are somehow one of the most popular.
They are great live. I hadn't even heard of them when I saw them but it was great fun seeing the singer go apeshit.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I didn't really enjoy TBDM until Ritual, but I think that is a really enjoyable record.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You have anything in the same vein that I can give a try? I'll listen to anything once.

Their whole style of death metal is not really my thing, but they're pretty notorious for aping At the Gates.

Arsis maybe?

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 22, 2014

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't understand the dislike of the Black Dahlia Murder in this thread.

Didn't they headline Warped Tour last year? SELLOUTS.

They've got a few good songs but mostly they stick to a very unoriginal structure and it makes everything sound the same.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Father_Johann posted:

Didn't they headline Warped Tour last year? SELLOUTS.

They've got a few good songs but mostly they stick to a very unoriginal structure and it makes everything sound the same.

I'm actually kind of agreeing with that. I like the last two albums way more than any of the earlier stuff, that's for sure. I seemed to have mostly overlooked their boring albums.

I can maybe see a little bit of At the Gates but Arsis (who I don't really like except for a few songs) seems way closer.

I actually grabbed an At The Gates tee at a festival with Soilwork, Pig Destroyer, and In Flames right when In Flames turned terrible.

Everyone was really confused because In Flames unfurled this banner that was in exactly the same font and design as the original Star Wars logo (black and yellow, too) that said "Gothenburg Hard Rock" on it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Everyone was really confused because In Flames unfurled this banner that was in exactly the same font and design as the original Star Wars logo (black and yellow, too) that said "Gothenburg Hard Rock" on it.
Haha, I remember that! I was really excited about seeing In Flames after I caught them still in support of Clayman in early 2002, then Reroute to Remain leaked and those Star Wars pictures started popping up everywhere and I went gently caress that to the Slayer/In Flames tour.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
TBDM started off as a poo poo mallcore band with more grunty vocals than the masses. They've evolved quite a bit, but I can't see them getting a lot of love around here. I'm on the fence with them, tbh.

As for anyone with the option of seeing Satyricon, it's worth it to do so, even now. I saw them tour with Chthonic and Toxic Holocaust and that was a killer show. All three of them were good. Satyr does a lot of between song chatter and he, tbh, makes the show. Frost was boring as gently caress, though, as he always is. /sigh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Houseplant posted:

TBDM started off as a poo poo mallcore band with more grunty vocals than the masses. They've evolved quite a bit, but I can't see them getting a lot of love around here. I'm on the fence with them, tbh.
That's probably fair. I haven't heard anything off of their past two albums, but those seem to be getting more acclaim than the ones everyone was obsessed with in high school. I might check out Everblack before seeing them with Carcass and Gorguts just because I like familiarizing myself with bands I'm seeing live. Mostly I just find it amusing that Brian Eschbach is one of my high school's most famous alumni. He once severely injured himself rollerskating through the window of the student lounge.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Misogynist posted:

Haha, I remember that! I was really excited about seeing In Flames after I caught them still in support of Clayman in early 2002, then Reroute to Remain leaked and those Star Wars pictures started popping up everywhere and I went gently caress that to the Slayer/In Flames tour.

i wish in flames would stop making albums every year it is no longer 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

muike posted:

i wish in flames would stop making albums every year it is no longer 2002

I...really like the Soilwork double album. I had written them off years ago like In Flames but it really pulls all the Devin Townsend influence in and finally makes it work, at least for me.

I even got a few of my friends who hated the newer stuff to like it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I will try it because I had forgotten about it. Thank you gumbel

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

muike posted:

I will try it because I had forgotten about it. Thank you gumbel

It got really good reviews, too! I had to check to make sure I wasn't going insane. Basically everyone was surprised a double album, by Soilwork, in 2013, was good.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I generally don't like Gothenburg-influenced melodeath much, but give Insomnium a try maybe?

vv Yeah, them and Intestine Baalism are drat good.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 23, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Another recco: Gates of Ishtar. 3 albums made in the mid 90s and then they hosed off.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vintersorg posted:

Another recco: Gates of Ishtar. 3 albums made in the mid 90s and then they hosed off.

They sorta reformed into the duskfall, which I understand if other people don't like them but I loving love them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZXq9PUxDc

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Thanks. Here is a garbled link to my favorite obscure melo death album:

Ode to my misery, by The Wake.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...kBATBGv7evwyrxQ

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
This Belgian band, Excess of Cruelty, for all I know could be familiar to all, but I don't think I'd ever heard their name mentioned til I stumbled across their sole album one day not too long ago (online, of course; can't find the physical thing, dammit). Definitely in the Dissection/Unanimated vein moreso than the Gothenburg thing, however.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmoivfJ43OM

Also, Enforsaken's The Forever Endeavor is without question my favorite Sweden-by-way-of-Illinois album. The number of supremely wicked riffs on this thing is just silly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSGfOlPnJMQ

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 23, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Oh yeah, you guys need to buy the new Gridlink album. It absolutely rules.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Gamma Nerd posted:

Oh yeah, you guys need to buy the new Gridlink album. It absolutely rules.

On that note, http://handshakeinc.bandcamp.com/album/longhena has it

and yes, it's great

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
You know whats pretty good?

Its this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfX4fx1twLI

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

TheQat posted:

On that note, http://handshakeinc.bandcamp.com/album/longhena has it

and yes, it's great

This is a thing I didn't know my life was missing.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So, Van Canto are playing in London, about 20 minutes from where I live. I reckon I will go even though they are ridiculous but I figure it might be fun.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I'm vaguely tempted by the Van Canto gig, just for the fun as well. Though I'm not really sure if it's worth spending the time off work for. I guess it can't be any worse than Dragonforce...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Spanish Manlove posted:

They sorta reformed into the duskfall, which I understand if other people don't like them but I loving love them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZXq9PUxDc

This is pretty drat good!

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
All this talk of Satyricon... here's the best live recording of Mother North:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNPGBAnJbNE

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I remember there being some Iron Savior fans in this thread, so I figured this might be relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie2ZyIvs7JI

New album coming out soon, and by the samples it doesn't sound half bad! Piet Sielck has come a long way as a vocalist, too.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

DroneRiff posted:

I'm vaguely tempted by the Van Canto gig, just for the fun as well. Though I'm not really sure if it's worth spending the time off work for. I guess it can't be any worse than Dragonforce...

Ah yeah, maybe not worth time off work for, but its so silly and will probably have a good atmosphere. I'm just gonna head down after work and see what its all about I guess.

Also at Underworld is some Troll/Folk metal show with Trollfest and Finterfrost. Might also be fun, they have banjos and poo poo.

henpod fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 23, 2014

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

henpod posted:

Ah yeah, maybe not worth time off work for, but its so silly and will probably have a good atmosphere. I'm just gonna head down after work and see what its all about I guess.

Yeah if I could just stroll up, I'd totally go. Been hurting for good gigs recently, I blame the fact no one plays here (apart from handful of local bands) so I always have to go to London.

I'll await the trip report.

EDIT: New Iron Savior clip is sounding pretty nice too. Shall have to keep an eye on it for post birthday CD purchasing.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Iron Savior's name sounds like one of those straight to video knock off movie titles like Transmorphers, or Hunter vs. The alien.

Feb 8, 2008
Anyone who secretly (or not so secretly) likes the first three Freedom Call albums should check out their new one, Beyond. A totally cheesy, chorus and trumpet filled return to form.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Jag Panzer is touring Europe! No word on whether they are officially back together or not, but their facebook and website are active! I hope they do a US tour!

Call To Arms

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
I'm... not sure what to make of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN4z_-R7poE

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don't know if I was remembering wrong but the trailer for the new Marvel movie has a snippet of a Ziltoid song in there?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

beefart posted:

I am sure what to make of it.

This is a good rear end video.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

beefart posted:

Meh other bands like attack attack, brokencyde and watain reached peak irony years ago

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Why do Metal bands , once go mainstream tend to forget what people mostly enjoyed and gave money for? Do I blame the record companies? Or do they literally just change over time to what the radio plays?

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

darthzeta88 posted:

Why do Metal bands , once go mainstream tend to forget what people mostly enjoyed and gave money for? Do I blame the record companies? Or do they literally just change over time to what the radio plays?

I think it's just the default to follow trends once you lose the initial spark that caused you to get into music/become a band. I don't think it's a problem unique to metal, but art in general.

Think about it, if you are an artist who has said all he wanted to say, the band is still your livelihood. You've invested a good part of your life into it. Not many people are willing just to outright quit after all of that. You still need some direction to continue, following trends is just the path of least resistance.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

beefart posted:

I think it should be in the deathcore thread. Is it just me or does the vocalist look kind of like Mikael Åkerfeldt though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

m-o-o-n posted:

Meh other bands like attack attack, brokencyde and watain reached peak irony years ago

I've never seen a Watain video. Show me. Which one should I watch?

darthzeta88 posted:

In Flames is holding on line one for you. :homebrew:

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 25, 2014