Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Well poo poo.

Lightning Returns Parasite Eve

You're going to have to get up earlier than that to beat Square-Enix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK, pls don't turn into Azure_Horizon. You are walking a fine line between ragged and wrong.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

We all carry Azure_Horizon in our hearts.

you see it makes perfect sense because the Greek gods were a bunch of butts, too

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gologle posted:

OK, pls don't turn into Azure_Horizon. You are walking a fine line between ragged and wrong.

As long as he isn't raping people

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I haven't had the urge to punch anyone through the internet for being insufferable in the last several posts, so I don't know why we're invoking Azure_Horizon here.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Gologle posted:

Not sure where you're coming from, the man is just posting raw, incontrovertible truth.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Leal posted:

Well looking forward to Lightning Returns: Super Mario Remake 13

The Lightning 101.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

... What? I was making a joke about the fact that yes, Lightning has already crossed over with Parasite Eve because damned if they're not going to cross over with everything.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 24, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The Lightning 101.

I think we all would want Lightning Returns: Revengeance. And now having said that I've made myself sad that it will never be. "Claire is there" would obviously be the equivalent of "Jack is back", with Ali Hillis doing the gringy voice.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 24, 2014

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Have Lightning appear as an NPC in every Square Enix game, but have her only lines be variations of "Why am I even here" and every appearance she's wearing different weird adornments from LR

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

chumbler posted:

I think we all would want Lightning Returns: Revengeance. And now having said that I've made myself sad that it will never be. "Claire is there" would obviously be the equivalent of "Jack is back", with Ali Hillis doing the gringy voice.

"My gunblade...is a tool of justice!"

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

:aaaaa:

Level Slide posted:

Now I'm imagining the fervor that would ensue if Square-Enix put FFXVI, or some similarly numbered mainline Final Fantasy, exclusively on a Nintendo system. I mean sure, there's Monolith Soft's games which are made by former Square employees, but they don't have nearly the amount of clout as Final Fantasy [15+n] exclusively for Nintendo Wii U.

I think it'd be cool. That makes one more game I can play on the thing.

I'm suprised that never happened on the Wii, outside of the Chrystal Chronicles games, but I think it's a bit late for that now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I dunno if it's the same for the English version (I'm sure it is), but it was stated the voice acting would be improved. Much like the remastered tracks I'm sure they fixed up the voice acting clips so they don't sound like they're from 2001 and 2003. It's still the exact same clips, with the exception of Last Order, which I'm sure they got the VAs back for.

Did they get a better voice actress for Yuna? Say what you will about, well, every other point in the game, her VA was what ruined it for me.

Pesky Splinter posted:

But in the end, she has to be this bland :effort:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Her VA is actually good, but for some reason when she came back for Dissidia they had Yuna pretty much sound just as awkward.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yuna's VA is actually alright in X-2. Something about X-Era Yuna just ruins her. Maybe they *told* her to sound that awkward?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The GIG posted:

Her VA is actually good, but for some reason when she came back for Dissidia they had Yuna pretty much sound just as awkward.

SE has the worst VA direction for NA. It doesn't matter if they hire people that I think have been brilliant in other roles, they always turn out mediocre performances. The list of people with good VA in mainline FF's can be counted on one hand (Balthier, Caius, and Sazh).

Edit: Fine, Gilgamesh is awesome too. So is Gaius van Baelsar from 14, now that I think about it.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 24, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

The list of people with good VA in mainline FF's can be counted on one hand (Balthier, Caius, and Sazh).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knmvZdyTP-c

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Failboattootoot posted:

Caius voice acting is good

:barf:

I sort of forgive X for all the terrible VA moments because it was their first crack at it, but yeah very few hits and a lot of misses for SE. Balthier is a fuckin' boss though.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Endorph posted:

Yuna's VA is actually alright in X-2. Something about X-Era Yuna just ruins her. Maybe they *told* her to sound that awkward?

Maybe part that but I think that was that ladies very first VA gig.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yuna's VA isn't very good in any language. I'd rather listen to the dub where at least she's bad in just kind of a trying-awkwardly way instead of just bad.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Bregor posted:

:barf:

I sort of forgive X for all the terrible VA moments because it was their first crack at it, but yeah very few hits and a lot of misses for SE. Balthier is a fuckin' boss though.

I had a weird moment while watching Burn Notice when Balthier's VA appeared playing an IRA terrorist.

dreffen posted:

Maybe part that but I think that was that ladies very first VA gig.

Yup, she was an actress before, but that was her first VA work.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I had a weird moment while watching Burn Notice when Balthier's VA appeared playing an IRA terrorist.
Never watch Teen Wolf then, dude's actually a recurring character on that.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Not-FF, but the first time I watched Best in Show after playing MGS3 I had a total :aaaaa: moment. "These are all champion dogs, and this is a sneaking mission, Snake."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'd rather listen to the dub where at least she's bad in just kind of a trying-awkwardly way instead of just bad.

I like her in the dub because it fits her character. X has her make a huge-rear end pilgrimage to get sacrificed (while so amnesiac douche tries to get in her pants) while X-2 has her deal with an entirely new world and freedom.

So I guess you can say that her voice works despite itself :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SSNeoman posted:

I like her in the dub because it fits her character. X has her make a huge-rear end pilgrimage to get sacrificed (while so amnesiac douche tries to get in her pants) while X-2 has her deal with an entirely new world and freedom.

So I guess you can say that her voice works despite itself :v:

Dear SE please delay FFX-2 HD for however long it takes to get Ke$ha in to redub all of Yuna's lines, thanks!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Pesky Splinter posted:

:golfclap:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Endorph posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the VA was awkward in X cause the actress was trying to sync up to the game's lip syncing since SE didn't bother reworking the lip syncing for X, but they did for X-2?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dear SE please delay FFX-2 HD for however long it takes to get Ke$ha in to redub all of Yuna's lines, thanks!

I honestly would love to have this happen and kick back with my friends and laugh our asses off the entire time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A friend of mine LOVED FF13-2, he did all the optional stuff and he kept insisting I play it. He started Lightning Returns and even he thinks it's bad, but at least in a funny way? Like his exact words were "Never buy this game but watch me play through it some time it's hilarious"

Also, Bravely Default is the best FF game in ages.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

This just makes me sad that there are no ponchos or sombreros in Lightning Returns Her Own Game XIII.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Leal posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the VA was awkward in X cause the actress was trying to sync up to the game's lip syncing since SE didn't bother reworking the lip syncing for X, but they did for X-2?

I'd be fine with that if her actress wasn't so flat, whispering every line in the same passive monotone. Everyone dropped the ball with Yuna.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Failboattootoot posted:

SE has the worst VA direction for NA. It doesn't matter if they hire people that I think have been brilliant in other roles, they always turn out mediocre performances. The list of people with good VA in mainline FF's can be counted on one hand (Balthier, Caius, and Sazh).

Edit: Fine, Gilgamesh is awesome too. So is Gaius van Baelsar from 14, now that I think about it.

I'd say Kain too, though mainly because it's the same voice actor as Caius.

RiceBurrito
Jan 4, 2004
Brother of RiceTaco
If you guys had to choose, what version of FF10 remake would you get? I'm leaning towards the Vita but I want to play it on my TV as well since I have a 60" plasma. I kinda wish they did a 60 dollar combo pack or something similar so that I can do both :(

Alternativly I can hope for the PS3 version to drop to 20 dollars in 6-8 months and buy that version then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unless you're planning to play it on the go there is no reason to get it on the Vita instead of the PS3. And honestly FFX is probably kind of crappy on the go due to all the unskippable cutscenes. I'll probably end up getting it on the Vita but I'm kind of a sucker that way.

Well, that or if you want every FF game on one system since the Vita's pretty close to that at this point.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

RiceBurrito posted:

If you guys had to choose, what version of FF10 remake would you get? I'm leaning towards the Vita but I want to play it on my TV as well since I have a 60" plasma. I kinda wish they did a 60 dollar combo pack or something similar so that I can do both :(

Alternativly I can hope for the PS3 version to drop to 20 dollars in 6-8 months and buy that version then.

I initially bought for PS3 only but ended up buying it for both systems because it has cross-save functionality. I'll likely end up doing big battles / cutscenes at home as much as possible, with my Vita available for missions etc. on the way to work.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I agree with this statement.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Unless you're planning to play it on the go there is no reason to get it on the Vita instead of the PS3. And honestly FFX is probably kind of crappy on the go due to all the unskippable cutscenes. I'll probably end up getting it on the Vita but I'm kind of a sucker that way.

Well, that or if you want every FF game on one system since the Vita's pretty close to that at this point.

With suspend mode, you can at least stop playing whenever you want, rather than having to find the nearest save point or leave the system running.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So when does Bravely Default poo poo the bed?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Either chapter 2 or 5, depending on who you ask.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I actually started playing Final Fantasy V because my girlfriend is really into Bravely Default right now. It seems really fun, but I have no 3DS (let alone the game) so I settled on playing what seems like Basically the Same Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bravely Default is really drat good and I'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat although I'm only at Chapter 4 and it still doesn't feel like I have access to reliable sources of JP to get my jobs up.

FFXIII-3 though I've just quit because for everything I like in the game I just can't enjoy a game with a time mechanic of any sort. Yes, I know you can very quickly chronostasis everything but mentally that does nothing for me. I have no interest in feeling pressed to keep moving/hunting/doing things optimally (even if there is a loooot of leeway in what optimal means).

I'd play another FF with the same leveling mechanic/combat system and no timer in a heartbeat.