Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

My screen's quality is good as far as I can tell. There's nothing weird with the colors. I assume viewing angles means if you look at it at odd angles the colors will distort? Cause the screen doesn't have that either.

Well, I know this isn't true, unless you somehow found a 17" IPS 1366x768 display (I really really doubt those exist?!). Whether you're a resolution snob or not, IPS is a really solid upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
1366x768 really does stink, so much that I started researching ways to transplant a x240 FHD panel into my laptop...yeahhhh not going to happen any time soon.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

Straker posted:

that's so cute, it's like a tiny little porthole into the internet

I'm currently using a netbook at 1024x600. More of a keyhole than a porthole... :sigh:

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

The laptop I'm currently on has a 1366x768 display at 13.3". It's over 2 years old and I love everything about this laptop (u36sd-dh51, asus) except the screen. :(

So yes, gently caress 1366x768... even at 13"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

1366 x 768 is for those who don't know any better. End of story.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
My current Dell is 1280x772. Is that worse than 1366x768?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hadlock posted:

1366 x 768 is for those who don't know any better. End of story.

Ignorance can be bliss though. Right now I will not accept anything less than at least IPS so it's a curse.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

My current Dell is 1280x772. Is that worse than 1366x768?

What. 1280x800 is better. What has 1280x772?

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
According to Speccy, the work resolution of my Dell XPS M1530 is 1280x772.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Check it yourself in display properties? That model is supposed to have a 1280x800 or 1440x900 screen.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
It's a trade off for some. My laptop only had two options for the screen, TN or IPS, and I'm really happy I chose IPS, but drat this resolution.

I'm getting a 1920x1200 monitor to plug in and enjoy when I'm home. If anyone is stuck with 1366x768, consider taking a similar measure if you haven't already.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

shrughes posted:

What. 1280x800 is better.

That's debatable - as a user of both I actually find 1366x768 marginally more useful.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Either one sucks but atleast 1280x800 is headed in the right direction wrt aspect ratio

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

According to the internet, Speccy is subtracting the task bar.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
My x230 @ 1366*768 is home in dock half the time, pushing 1080 out the displayport onto a Dell IPS, and I've never once found myself craving more screen space. I run OSX on it though which I think does kickass window/spaces management.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

My dad keeps breaking his laptops, probably because he's a conductor on freight trains and he carries his laptop in a backpack, and it's not so easy to be gentle with his stuff. He really just uses his laptop to browse the web while he's in his hotel room. He also doesn't want to spend more than $500-600. Should I just point him to Best Buy to get another flimsy laptop? I don't know what else he can buy with that kind of money--I don't think that price point buys durability.

He's also open to tablets, though he says he'd miss having a keyboard. Maybe if he got a durable case, the tablets would fare better.

Any ideas? I'm kind of at a loss because his budget doesn't leave much room for anything, and I don't know the tablet market at all.

He wants to stick with Windows, so that further narrows things down.

BTW it's the screens that keep getting the poo poo end of the stick.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Just a question.

Do Sony still have terrible driver supports on their laptops? Since they're selling their Vaio line, I was kinda hoping their driver support was better so I could, hopefully, pick a new one up at budget.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

agarjogger posted:

My x230 @ 1366*768 is home in dock half the time, pushing 1080 out the displayport onto a Dell IPS, and I've never once found myself craving more screen space. I run OSX on it though which I think does kickass window/spaces management.

How does the bumpy trackpad work for multitouch OSX gestures?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Uranium 235 posted:

My dad keeps breaking his laptops, probably because he's a conductor on freight trains and he carries his laptop in a backpack, and it's not so easy to be gentle with his stuff. He really just uses his laptop to browse the web while he's in his hotel room. He also doesn't want to spend more than $500-600. Should I just point him to Best Buy to get another flimsy laptop? I don't know what else he can buy with that kind of money--I don't think that price point buys durability.

He's also open to tablets, though he says he'd miss having a keyboard. Maybe if he got a durable case, the tablets would fare better.

Any ideas? I'm kind of at a loss because his budget doesn't leave much room for anything, and I don't know the tablet market at all.

Used thinkpad plus buy him a cheap padded case or hardcase since it sounds like he might be crushing them vs. dropping them.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Is there a way to turn off the red LED on the back of my X240?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there a way to turn off the red LED on the back of my X240?

But then how will people know you're using a thinkpad?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

But then how will people know you're using a thinkpad?
Maybe by reading the silver text that says "ThinkPad" underneath the red light. But yeah, that's the exact reason I want to disable it. I'd get a skin but I know I won't be satisfied with how I apply it and I also really like the texture of the rest of the lid.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How does the bumpy trackpad work for multitouch OSX gestures?

I ran OSX on an x220, and it wasn't too bad- synaptics picked up most of the multitouch gestures, and the eraser mouse worked well after a really ancient kext.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
Anyone have any recommendations for laptop bags? I have a really lovely backpack with a laptop sleeve that a friend gave me years ago. Would like something a little sturdier/less hideous.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Malkar posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for laptop bags? I have a really lovely backpack with a laptop sleeve that a friend gave me years ago. Would like something a little sturdier/less hideous.

Are you looking for a backpack or a messenger bag? If you want something that will hold up over time, I can heartily recommend my North Face Recon backpack. It has a laptop sleeve that fits my 17" laptop (a bit tightly, but it does fit), although the newer designs on the website say it'll fit most 15" laptops. I've been using it constantly for almost 8 years (bought it mid-2006) and the only real sign of wear I see is the inside lining has started to shed it's outer layer. Other than that it's still holding up extremely well; the build quality is so much better than most of the cheap backpacks you'll find at some place like Walmart that will fall apart in a few months, although you'll certainly pay a bit more for it upfront.

If you want a messenger bag, Timbuk2 seem to be pretty popular and well made, although they can be a bit expensive. I have a small one that will fit a tablet that I like but never really use.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
Does anyone have any opinions on Lenovo refurbs? I'm considering a refurbished Yoga 2 but I've always avoided refurbs in the past.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ReadingZucchini posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Lenovo refurbs? I'm considering a refurbished Yoga 2 but I've always avoided refurbs in the past.

I've steered a large number of clients to outlet.lenovo.com for their personal laptops, and I've never had any complaints.

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the
My mom is looking for a new laptop for work but one of her requirements is a number pad which is limiting my search. Its mostly going to be used for Excel and Quickbook. After reading the OP I recommended the T540p for her. Are there any other recommendations anyone can throw out for me? Price Isn't a huge concern but I think her boss would prefer under $1000.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Uranium 235 posted:

I'm in the exact line of work and I prefer a tablet and a beefy case. It's also much more convenient for when you get those short stops while waiting for another train, gently caress pulling out a laptop when a tablet takes like 5 seconds to set up.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I think I'm really starting to regret this Lenovo, guys.

Just got my Win7 Disk, and had to go into the boot menu to restore the disk again, change the security settings, then load up my Win7 Disk. And now the Win7 load screen is frozen again.

I've been working on this thing for a week and I haven't had it going for a solid day yet. Is this normal for these sorts of laptops?

Also, as far as gaming goes, I don't see any marked improvement over my four-year old Asus.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

J.A.B.C. posted:

I think I'm really starting to regret this Lenovo, guys.

Just got my Win7 Disk, and had to go into the boot menu to restore the disk again, change the security settings, then load up my Win7 Disk. And now the Win7 load screen is frozen again.

I've been working on this thing for a week and I haven't had it going for a solid day yet. Is this normal for these sorts of laptops?

Also, as far as gaming goes, I don't see any marked improvement over my four-year old Asus.

Why didn't you just boot it with the built in recovery and reinstall the OS and then just use add/remove programs to remove the unwanted junk? It seems like you have a lot of abnormal problems. I've rolled out hundreds of Thinkpads and it wasn't like everyone was a complete disaster.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Why didn't you just boot it with the built in recovery and reinstall the OS and then just use add/remove programs to remove the unwanted junk? It seems like you have a lot of abnormal problems. I've rolled out hundreds of Thinkpads and it wasn't like everyone was a complete disaster.

I did that twice so far. And by the end of the day I can't touch anything on the desktop without the computer freezing. Even if I don't install antivirus or other programs.

And now I can't get Windows 7 loaded. Should I send it back to Lenovo and use the Warranty?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

J.A.B.C. posted:

I did that twice so far. And by the end of the day I can't touch anything on the desktop without the computer freezing. Even if I don't install antivirus or other programs.

And now I can't get Windows 7 loaded. Should I send it back to Lenovo and use the Warranty?

Yes, your computer is clearly defective. You think that every Thinkpad they send out operates like that?

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yes, your computer is clearly defective. You think that every Thinkpad they send out operates like that?

I agree with this guy. It's clear you are in the midst of a fringe case.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't know, which is why I came here for advice. The only Lenovo computers I've used before were the ones used by the Army, and the only reason I got a Lenovo in the first place was because of the recommendations of this thread.

I'll let Lenovo Support know that I'll send it back, if I can't get Win7 loaded up onto it by tonight.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

J.A.B.C. posted:

I don't know, which is why I came here for advice. The only Lenovo computers I've used before were the ones used by the Army, and the only reason I got a Lenovo in the first place was because of the recommendations of this thread.

I'll let Lenovo Support know that I'll send it back, if I can't get Win7 loaded up onto it by tonight.

Unless you specifically need Windows 7, Win8 is better and is what you should be using. I'd just return it, something is wrong with it. Cut your time investment and call them up. I bet you could get them to cross-ship a replacement first.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Unless you specifically need Windows 7, Win8 is better and is what you should be using. I'd just return it, something is wrong with it. Cut your time investment and call them up. I bet you could get them to cross-ship a replacement first.

I don't specifically need it, as the couple hours I had Classic Shell working were fairly easy to use. Removing the shovelware is a different beast entirely.

I'll give them a call tonight, then. Thanks for the advice over the past couple of days.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

I don't specifically need it, as the couple hours I had Classic Shell working were fairly easy to use. Removing the shovelware is a different beast entirely.
I reinstalled Windows 8 on my X240 (swapped the HDD out for an SSD) and then installed drivers from Lenovo's site. Took maybe an hour?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I reinstalled Windows 8 on my X240 (swapped the HDD out for an SSD) and then installed drivers from Lenovo's site. Took maybe an hour?

I'll probably just stick with the Win7 Disk I just bought instead of buying a new Win8 Disk. Unless there's a way to fresh install it without spending that money.

Just got done with the recovery again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

I'll probably just stick with the Win7 Disk I just bought instead of buying a new Win8 Disk. Unless there's a way to fresh install it without spending that money.

Just got done with the recovery again.
We have the action pack at my work so I used one of those ISOs. You don't need to buy a license since your machine came with one embedded in the BIOS.

Try following these directions to make a bootable flash drive or DVD.
http://www.nirmaltv.com/2013/05/09/download-windows-8-iso-from-microsoft/