Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gologle posted:

So when does Bravely Default poo poo the bed?

Every chapter is the worst chapter in Bravely Default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Barudak posted:

Bravely Default is really drat good and I'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat although I'm only at Chapter 4 and it still doesn't feel like I have access to reliable sources of JP to get my jobs up.

FFXIII-3 though I've just quit because for everything I like in the game I just can't enjoy a game with a time mechanic of any sort. Yes, I know you can very quickly chronostasis everything but mentally that does nothing for me. I have no interest in feeling pressed to keep moving/hunting/doing things optimally (even if there is a loooot of leeway in what optimal means).

I'd play another FF with the same leveling mechanic/combat system and no timer in a heartbeat.
Even Majora's Mask?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bravely Default is the worst game in its series.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Even Majora's Mask?

I despise Majora's Mask. I've tried to play that game so, so many times and I think the farthest I've ever gotten is maybe the first dungeon. Objectively, its a really well put together game but I can't enjoy it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't know, all I know is that I have heard people telling me the plot rapidly starts to downspiral in Bravely Default once it gets to a certain point, and considering one of the major reasons I play an RPG is for the story, I'm still leery. The gameplay apparently still remains solid all the way through, which is nice I guess.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm still at chapter 4 of Bravely Default, though chapter 2 has some bad pacing, imo. Ch2 is a series of awful human misfortunes and gloom, one after another. They don't really give you a break, so it all feels kind of ridiculous. But the pace picks back up after that, plus the game is still really fun to play. I don't really have the authority to say this, but from what I'm gathering, chapter 5-onward makes you re-light every crystal or something? I think it may make you do a whole bunch of stuff over, but this time harder. That's just what I'm led to believe, so I could be totally wrong. It can't be a Final Fantasy game without something totally dumb, right?

As for the plot, it's pretty by the numbers so far for me, but nothing about it is inherently bad yet. Plus, I feel that all the main characters, or at the very least Ringabel and Edea, are all really likeable, even if they're cliches. Some of the asterisk users are pretty entertaining too, even if they are terrible people.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Saying you play an RPG "for the story" is always a suspect notion, because if nothing else it implies that the gameplay is somehow even shittier and not worth considering. The gameplay in Bravely Default is excellent, and that should be the reason you play it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Saying you play an RPG "for the story" is always a suspect notion, because if nothing else it implies that the gameplay is somehow even shittier and not worth considering. The gameplay in Bravely Default is excellent, and that should be the reason you play it.

RPG gameplay wears thin really fast without a reason to care. It was one of the several squillion issues with FFXIII.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
But that's not what I was implying at all. I love the customization of Tactics and FFV, and something that, from what people have said, copies and improves on that is a big deal and something to get hyped about. But I'm also of the opinion that no matter how good a game might be in terms of gameplay, if every other major factor is terrible then it's not going to be as good as it can be.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

RPG gameplay wears thin really fast without a reason to care. It was one of the several squillion issues with FFXIII.

There's a world of difference between "a reason to care" and a story actually good enough to be worth sitting through dull gameplay. But it's moot in the case of Bravely Default, which one "plays for the story" in the sense that one might eat a candy bar for the wrapper.

Edit: What I mean to say is, if you're a candy bar wrapper aficionado, you probably won't find any deal-breakers here, but you should also stop apologizing for liking to eat good candy.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 24, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I mean, Bravely Default acknowledges that it's story and characters isn't exactly original, so yeah, playing it for the story is a bit of a weird thing to me.

I played it because I've wanted a sequel to ff5 for uh quite a while now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Livingtrope posted:

I mean, Bravely Default acknowledges that it's story and characters isn't exactly original, so yeah, playing it for the story is a bit of a weird thing to me.

I played it because I've wanted a sequel to ff5 for uh quite a while now.

FF Dimensions exists too, you know. I mean, Bravely Default is way better but we shouldn't ignore all the spin-off bastard children of FFV.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Pff, everyone mentions V when it comes to the Job System, but what about III, huh? It deserves some love, too no it doesn't. :smith:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It does deserve some sequel love, that's why FFV happened.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
FF3 made the error of making it so changing jobs came at a penalty and it can't be stressed enough how poor of a design decision that was.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Livingtrope posted:

FF3 made the error of making it so changing jobs came at a penalty and it can't be stressed enough how poor of a design decision that was.

Only FF3 DS. And yes, that was a monumentally dumb decision.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Livingtrope posted:

Thats only the DS version. Just like the idea to give enemies double turns and to change class progression in a way that breaks the difficulty curve.

FFIII NES is an ok game with some good ideas and a lot of "product of its time" issues while FFIII DS is a poo poo-show from start to finish.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh really, they added that into the ds version? That's hilarious

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Basically, any problem with FFIII that makes you say "Man, RPGs sure were less optimized back on the old NES" is in every version. The problems that make you say "No one should have considered this a good idea at any point of time" are DS exclusive because drat is Final Fantasy III on the DS a shitshow.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Livingtrope posted:

Oh really, they added that into the ds version? That's hilarious

Yup. I'd actually feel okay with saying that nearly every mechanical change made to FFIII DS was a bad one.

In the original NES version, you got Capacity Points after a battle, and you spent those to change jobs. None of the stat-weakening "transition period" poo poo. It just cost more CP to jump from a physical job to a magical job, or what have you.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The one thing about NES class changing was that no matter what, after a while it became trivially simple. You got CP after every fight, so you were swimming in it before too long and never had to worry about it again.

So, I can kind of see why they added something different into the DS version to maybe try and balance what they originally intended. They just did it in the stupidest way possible, and it didn't really need balancing anyway.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

The one thing about NES class changing was that no matter what, after a while it became trivially simple. You got CP after every fight, so you were swimming in it before too long and never had to worry about it again.

I'm failing to see why this is a bad thing, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Well its an extraneous mechanic so its adding an unneeded step to the players experience. So of course, instead of just removing it entirely like every, single other job based game that came out after it they added a penalty that made using the whole system abusive unless you love grinding.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm still at chapter 4 of Bravely Default, though chapter 2 has some bad pacing, imo. Ch2 is a series of awful human misfortunes and gloom, one after another. They don't really give you a break, so it all feels kind of ridiculous.

As someone who's mid-Chapter 2 right now that's absolute bullshit. Like I did the 2 subquests before getting back to the Sage and there's plenty of poo poo to break up the gloom that the Dye and Hairpin reveals bring up. Like the entire scene at the Sage's house was jut the levity I needed after that Crazy Summoner lady.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kyrosiris posted:

Well presumably the CP cost was supposed to exist for a reason.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

As someone who's mid-Chapter 2 right now that's absolute bullshit. Like I did the 2 subquests before getting back to the Sage and there's plenty of poo poo to break up the gloom that the Dye and Hairpin reveals bring up. Like the entire scene at the Sage's house was jut the levity I needed after that Crazy Summoner lady.

Depending on the order you do things in in Chapter 2, you're likely to end up with a parade of horrors and an uninterrupted sequence of the exact same sexist joke being told over and over again.

Don't believe everything you hear about the endgame being bad, though. Some people like that sort of thing (which is, at any rate, something like 80% optional).

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Eh, I thought that scene was pretty entertaining, but the rest of ch2's bullshit overshadows it, imo. Maybe we just did the sidequests differently? Either way, more power to you if you feel differently, but ch2 just felt mean-spirited as a whole to me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Well presumably the CP cost was supposed to exist for a reason.

It sounds like the reason its there is to make the player stick to a certain job for a longer period of time. The problem with that is that being forced to stick to a certain job like that, even if cp is arbitrary to get, is a much less fun experience then choosing to stick to a job for a long time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Depending on the order you do things in in Chapter 2, you're likely to end up with a parade of horrors and an uninterrupted sequence of the exact same sexist joke being told over and over again.

I hate Ringabel and that stupid sage. I know they redesigned the female character outfits for the US release but it still feels skeevy as hell in a game where people don't even have goddamn feet (I assume the crystal of feet was lost millenia ago). There's this nasty undercurrent in the whole game and its really detracting from the experience.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Eh, I thought that scene was pretty entertaining, but the rest of ch2's bullshit overshadows it, imo. Maybe we just did the sidequests differently? Either way, more power to you if you feel differently, but ch2 just felt mean-spirited as a whole to me.

Well yeah, but that's because the Bloodrose Legion are kind of sadistic. Like that's kind of the point of those four. In a legion of villains who will do anything to get what they want they're the ones REALLY enjoying their day jobs. From crazed hunter to Tips Fedora: Red Mage, they're all scum bags.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Barudak posted:

I hate Ringabel and that stupid sage. I know they redesigned the female character outfits for the US release but it still feels skeevy as hell in a game where people don't even have goddamn feet (I assume the crystal of feet was lost millenia ago). There's this nasty undercurrent in the whole game and its really detracting from the experience.

How does it feel to have no soul? :colbert:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Barudak posted:

I think it's pretty funny. The game is poking fun at them as opposed to siding with them. Though the fanservice outfits don't really support that notion, do they? I guess it's that Dragon Ball thing of not differentiating the the humor of a pervert, and actually being perverted.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 24, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

I'm pleased to report that this tastelessness peaks in chapter 2 and rapidly diminishes to little more than an afterthought.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artix posted:

How does it feel to have no soul? :colbert:

If not wanting to hear the same goddamn joke about skirt chasing and trying to pervily trick women into revealing outfits means I have no soul then I gotta get satan on the line and figure out what I got in exchange for it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

If not wanting to hear the same goddamn joke about skirt chasing and trying to pervily trick women into revealing outfits means I have no soul then I gotta get satan on the line and figure out what I got in exchange for it.

Not sure how they're trying to trick her into wearing it, but okay.

Butt Ghost posted:

I think it's pretty funny. The game is poking fun at them as opposed to siding with them. Though the fanservice outfits don't really support that notion, do they?

I feel like the writers wanted to do one thing and then the marketing team or the art department thought "poo poo, lovely people would LOVE THESE" and then made the dlc costumes.

That said the most fanservice-y outfit is Ringabel's DLC one and it's amazing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That said the most fanservice-y outfit is Ringabel's DLC one and it's amazing.

Ladies :wiggle:

[e]: Wow, these costumes are pretty great!

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 24, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Ladies :wiggle:

[e]: Wow, these costumes are pretty great!

Fun fact, GIS Ringabel pulls up 1 picture of his official character art and like 30 of that DLC costume.

It's pretty amazing!

Also yeah all the in game class outfits are loving amazing and amazingly not lovely. It's just that the girls have an extra costume each (One is DLC) that's kind of gross.

That said Look up the Red Mage outfit for Bravely Default. It's the best Red Mage ever.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fun fact, GIS Ringabel pulls up 1 picture of his official character art and like 30 of that DLC costume.It's pretty amazing!Also yeah all the in game class outfits are loving amazing and amazingly not lovely. It's just that the girls have an extra costume each (One is DLC) that's kind of gross.That said Look up the Red Mage outfit for Bravely Default. It's the best Red Mage ever.

You're not kidding;

Only thing missing is the sweet red-mage hat though.

I see what you mean about the DLC ones, though.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

A vocal minority on /v/ actually boycotted Bravely Default because of that costume for Edea. Not because it's shameful, but because the EU and US version censored their precious fanservice. You should have seen the poo poo storm that went down.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Was it an actual boycott or a gamer's boycott, i.e, they all bought the game anyway? I imagine it was the latter.